daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #9661
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Excellent views! Thx!

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #9662
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9070

Congretulation. Great.
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #9663
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Why is "density" put as some kind of advantage? All it shows is the inadequacy of planning which results in cramped urbanization and problems with traffic and public transport. Shanghai (or most other large Chinese cities for that matter) have much beter planning and development vision. They could stick many more buildings in Pudong and make "dense". But they won't because that's not a good idea. It may have been a standard back in the 30's but today it's not as isn't riding the horse carts on the streets. It may look nice, heart-warming to some but it's a thing of the past and by no means something to put as an advantage when talking of the modern days.
You really think Shanghai is a shining example of urban planning, especially in regard to Lujiazui? Dear lord...
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #9664
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
You really think Shanghai is a shining example of urban planning, especially in regard to Lujiazui? Dear lord...
I have never said that (I have yet to experience Lujiazui in person) but it certainly is better than some examples that were mentioned here. It's not about "I like it better" but rather what makes better sense in practical terms without prejudice or bias. I mean ffs, just look at the map and try to see some sense in it. Extreme density of buildings is a result of inadequacy, shortages (of land, for instance) and other negative factors, not because it's better in terms of urban planning. Shanghai doesn't (or not yet at least) have some of those problems, hence it doesn't need to take such measures.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #9665
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori

Why is "density" put as some kind of advantage? All it shows is the inadequacy of planning which results in cramped urbanization and problems with traffic and public transport. Shanghai (or most other large Chinese cities for that matter) have much beter planning and development vision. They could stick many more buildings in Pudong and make "dense". But they won't because that's not a good idea. It may have been a standard back in the 30's but today it's not as isn't riding the horse carts on the streets. It may look nice, heart-warming to some but it's a thing of the past and by no means something to put as an advantage when talking of the modern days.
Shanghai is hardly a shining example of urban planning in China....ChonQing offers much more. Shanghai is great (it has a vibrant personality) but it has a but if an identity crisis.

I lived in Shanghai and its just as dense as any other major city...we're looking at Lujiazui which is still virtually in the preliminary stages of what it will be become. Just look at the plans, they're going for high density....

And the you're point doesn't make sense...cities with high density became that way unintentionally (space constraints, convenience) rather than intentionality (it looks ” good&rdquo.

Shanghai has a long way to go before it's ”international” and has a strong identity. It's not even in Seoul's range in that aspect....
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #9666
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I lived in Shanghai and its just as dense as any other major city...we're looking at Lujiazui which is still virtually in the preliminary stages of what it will be become. Just look at the plans, they're going for high density....
Which plans are you talking about? I thought all the plots in Lujiazui were pretty much full...I wouldn't call that 'preliminary stages'
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #9667
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm160190 View Post
Which plans are you talking about? I thought all the plots in Lujiazui were pretty much full...I wouldn't call that 'preliminary stages'
"Lujiazui" isn't just the river front...it's that whole entire district. I've been there, and I'm telling you most of the planned development has not happened. It's all in the city's urban planning museum.

*I'll just post photos later as I'm not on my laptop.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #9668
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4404

Just south of Lujiazui plan

http://www.gaoloumi.com/viewthread.php?tid=154693
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #9669
howelee

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
At leasrt it is superior to Hong Kong Island
howelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #9670
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Yea right. You wanna talk about the 30's. China still used the Athens charter as a model for urban planning. That is an absolute disaster. Thats the main problem with LJZ, Beijing and many newly built cities in China, They use lifeless wide un-crossable streets, huge blocks, insular confinement of retail (ifc pudong, jianwai soho etc.) Waste of space greenspace (im all for greenspace, I mean little flower beds and shrubs that get in the way of the entrance of a building)

The Athens charter is a model based on highrise living with giant roadways and separation of functions (ie. retail, office, commercial ) the Athens charter is responsible for horrible developments all over America in the 60's and 70's, and continuing in Europe and Asia well into today. It is the bane of any livable 21st century city. However this is still used in Chinese urban planning circles to this day.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #9671
-TDN-

Likes (Received): 16

Nice photos.

What are those two sharp and tall looking buildings in the middle? Are they under construction or is there a time set for ground work to begin?
-TDN- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #9672
little universe
A Living Sculpture

30-storey Skyscraper built within 15 days...mission impossible?
No...nothing is impossible in China.
This one was constructed by the Chinese Home-grown manufacturing Giant the Broad Group. They should let this company build Shanghai Tower in the first place.

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

Zefire liked this post
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #9673
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

thats insane! fast and strong now they should make a supertall in a month
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9674
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by little universe View Post
They should let this company build Shanghai Tower in the first place.

If they were building st it would look like a giant box instead of how it meant to be. I see many people still don't get that this technique (even if working for these heights) forces certain boxy design. So nope, I wouldn't want them to build this one .
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9675
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57849

No pal, just no. The workload and structural requirements for a higher tower are becoming exponentially higher as well. You really can't extrapolate this building pace to a supertall level, impossible. It's not just the shape, everything is prefabricated there, so the actual time the construction takes is longer as well. It's just that everything is put together works pretty fast of course.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #9676
ganghui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Shanghai is hardly a shining example of urban planning in China....ChonQing offers much more. Shanghai is great (it has a vibrant personality) but it has a but if an identity crisis.

And the you're point doesn't make sense...cities with high density became that way unintentionally (space constraints, convenience) rather than intentionality (it looks ” good&rdquo.

Shanghai has a long way to go before it's ”international” and has a strong identity. It's not even in Seoul's range in that aspect....
Think before speaking. What has Chongqing to offer in terms of international standard that Shanghai hasnt? Shanghai is a world center of finance, entertainment and culture. You say Shanghai is as dense as any other major city? I'm beginning to wonder if you've ever lived in Shanghai at all or just stayed at some gnarly hotel in Lujiazui. The latter seems more reliable in your case.

Shanghai isnt dense, but it basically has skyscrapers everywhere (not just in Lujiazui) which is very unusual for "any other" city. It has a huge amount of famous landmarks so I dont know where you're getting this whole "identity crisis" from. It's identity and history is superb.
ganghui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #9677
lowai

Likes (Received): 810

Taken from my apartment in Shanghai

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by lowai; January 9th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
lowai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #9678
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

thx for the shot lowai . you seem to have a great view to Shanghai Tower
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9679
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

wow fantastic! what an excellent first post
Is that a recent photograph of the 3rd truss belt level? If so I can't believe they have already completed it!
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #9680
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

It's the second one, and those photos are taken about three months ago.
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall