daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #9701
Gkklein

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon
Seems that a Saudi Company (Saudi Shanhae Center) will build 280m twins close to ST. I'll try and post more info later. Anybody else confirm?
Thank you for bringing the thread back to the topic. Interesting development.
Gkklein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #9702
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9246

They are very high. Nice.
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #9703
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 193

From Today's BBC News:

Skyscrapers 'linked with impending financial crashes'

There is an "unhealthy correlation" between the building of skyscrapers and subsequent financial crashes, according to Barclays Capital.

Examples include the Empire State building, built as the Great Depression was under way, and the current world's tallest, the Burj Khalifa, built just before Dubai almost went bust.

China is currently the biggest builder of skyscrapers, the bank said.

India also has 14 skyscrapers under construction.

"Often the world's tallest buildings are simply the edifice of a broader skyscraper building boom, reflecting a widespread misallocation of capital and an impending economic correction," Barclays Capital analysts said.
World's tallest buildings
Name Where Height Use

Source: Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat

Burj Khalifa

Dubai

828m (2,717ft)

Offices, homes, hotel

Taipei 101

Taipei

508m (1,667ft)

Offices

Shanghai World Financial Center

Shanghai

492m (1,614ft)

Hotel, offices

Int'l Commerce Centre

Hong Kong

484m (1,588ft)

Hotel, offices

Petronas Towers 1&2

Kuala Lumpur

452m (1,483ft)

Offices

The bank noted that the world's first skyscraper, the Equitable Life building in New York, was completed in 1873 and coincided with a five-year recession. It was demolished in 1912.

Other examples include Chicago's Willis Tower (which was formerly known as the Sears Tower) in 1974, just as there was an oil shock and the US dollar's peg to gold was abandoned.

And Malaysia's Petronas Towers in 1997, which coincided with the Asian financial crisis.

The findings might be a concern for Londoners, who are currently seeing the construction of what will be Western Europe's tallest building, the Shard.

That will be 1,017ft (310m) tall on completion.

China bubble?
The 27-storey Antilia, the newly-built residence of Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani, is seen in Mumbai on October 19, 2010. The 27-storey home of one Indian family in Mumbai

Investors should be most concerned about China, which is currently building 53% of all the tall buildings in the world, the bank said.

A lending boom following the global financial crisis in 2008 pushed prices higher in the world's second largest economy.

In a separate report, JPMorgan Chase said that the Chinese property market could drop by as much as 20% in value in the country's major cities within the next 12 to 18 months.

In India, billionaire Mukesh Ambani built his own skyscraper in Mumbai - a 27-storey residence believed to be the world's most expensive home.

Local newspapers said the house required 600 members of staff to maintain it. Reports suggest the residence is worth more than $1bn (£630m).

"Today India has only two of the world's 276 skyscrapers over 240m in height, yet over the next five years it intends to complete 14 new skyscrapers," according to Barclays Capital.

Barclays Capital's Skyscraper Index has been published every year since 1999.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #9704
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3250

from gaoloumi: We should open a thread!

Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #9705
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

I really should have paid attention to the very first sentence. If I did, then I would not have read half of the article.

Don't get why people would believe BBC. They have proven on many occasions that they bash other nations, particularly China. Why can't they just write half truthful stories like other news outlets rather than pure fiction?

Are people in England not smart enough to realise after so many 'China bubble' years that there probably won't be a bubble coming because the Chinese government burst it?
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #9706
lowai

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowai View Post
Taken from my apartment in Shanghai

image hosted on flickr
Yes this was taken in October as the second belt truss was going in.

I had to return to UK for hospital treatment and found this website an excellent way of reminding me of 'home'.

I will post more when I return to Shanghai
lowai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #9707
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

From the picture, the safety seem doing good right?
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #9708
heosinwei
hoho

Likes (Received): 0

it's now so tall
heosinwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #9709
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by heosinwei
it's now so tall
Yeah, unbelievable.
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #9710
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
In Perth, we have a financial street full of buildings built one next to another. The result of that is many entrances one after another. its soulless, because it has no retail/restaurants, hence to a non working person, its a bland place.
You're talking about the St George's Terrace area right? I think that area is way more 'lively' and 'bustling' that that of the current atmosphere in Lujiazui. It's much more dense and although there aren't exactly little shops everywhere there (which there actually are a few), it still has a very city like atmosphere.

I just hope Lujiazui in the future will decrease the large plots and add more skyscrapers there as well as shops and stuff in between. Just my opinion!
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #9711
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

It's not lively at all. It's just people sqeezed within one long road.

I guess you like dense, but Shanghai and almost everyelse in China, dense skylines/areas also means large crowds. We don't have that sort of crowd as Shanghai does.

Plus, almost all the towers in Pudong is a gem. I would hate for to be squished all together, just because its dense. Do you know how sad that would be?

I'm already not liking the fact that Jin Mao can not be seen completely from the Bund. Its less powerful now than it was when you could see the base of the tower.

Don't even start on the BHP building. Perth already has a small skyline and the thought of building a super ugly version of that green building in Shenzhen right in front of a half decent-almost skyscraper central park is just......OMG
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #9712
travelworld123

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
It's not lively at all. It's just people sqeezed within one long road.

I guess you like dense, but Shanghai and almost everyelse in China, dense skylines/areas also means large crowds. We don't have that sort of crowd as Shanghai does.

Plus, almost all the towers in Pudong is a gem. I would hate for to be squished all together, just because its dense. Do you know how sad that would be?

I'm already not liking the fact that Jin Mao can not be seen completely from the Bund. Its less powerful now than it was when you could see the base of the tower.

Don't even start on the BHP building. Perth already has a small skyline and the thought of building a super ugly version of that green building in Shenzhen right in front of a half decent-almost skyscraper central park is just......OMG
Okay, it's probably not lively compared to other world cities but for Australia, let alone Perth, I think it's quite vibrant. Not just the St Georges area but the surrounding Wellington St, Hay St etc...

Haha, I agree with the BHP building. The one chance and time that Perth gets a significant skyscraper - it blocks the other skyscraper making the skyline have once again 2 skyscrapers... ahh Perth. Nonetheless I think it's better than nothing that there is progress and development.

I do indeed like density but I also agree with the fact that if there are too many supertall skyscrapers packed in Lujiazui then each one wouldn't be significant. Yes the Jin Mao tower isn't as 'powerful' anymore from some viewing angles due to the looming SFWC. But if there were many mid-skyscrapers that dot the gaps inbetween, it would be great. Sort of like HK (yes, I know, another HK comparison, but see how the 2IFC tower is so prominent although the entire front of HK Island is just dense dense dense full of highrises. As is Bank of China and the other few supertalls?)

I know that Shanghai Tower would bring even more vibrancy to Lujiazui.
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #9713
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

This bitch is rising quickly.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #9714
Lion007
Lion007

They are building so quickly.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #9715
Lion007
Lion007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
from gaoloumi:

And where would be these 2 fantastic towers?
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #9716
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By me

Last edited by Nordschleife; January 13th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #9717
travelworld123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
is there any more info on these towers? Is there a thread? Looks like a whole new upcoming skyscraper thread/discussion/excitement addition for Shanghai!!
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #9718
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordschleife View Post
By me

Nice pictures
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #9719
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29138

very nice.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #9720
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 809

Stunning photos at night!

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall