daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #9741
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

I don't know where to place it so I say it here: Z0rg, thx again for this MASSIVE update on chinese skyscrapers in the skyscraper section.

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #9742
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

This facade will be a hard puzzle for the builders
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #9743
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

just read on Wikipedia that this tower will have "just" 380.000 sqm floor space. i always thought it will have almost the same as Burj Khalifa which has around 517.000 sqm.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #9744
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

According to wikipedia, Burj Khalifa has 309,473 m2 of floor space.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #9745
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

lol, in german wikipedia it says 517.000...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa

i wondered already, such a big difference between BK and ST is unrealistic.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #9746
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
This facade will be a hard puzzle for the builders
Even Burj Khalifa's cladding was done by the Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
lol, in german wikipedia it says 517.000...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa

i wondered already, such a big difference between BK and ST is unrealistic.
English wiki's figure came from CTBUH.
http://buildingdb.ctbuh.org/?do=building&building_id=3
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #9747
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

The BK is 465,000 square meters (source - SOM).
Bear in mind this includes the large podiums.
The tower and base is 279,000.
The ST is definitely larger than the BK.

Ray.
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #9748
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedot View Post
Shanghai has all it's buildings, but it takes times to catch with New York.

Thanks.
In about 10-15years, Shanghai will catch up with New York. 10-15 years is not that long. Shanghai has its ambitious plan to achieve that goal.The city is fighting strong for that goal. I think my home city can compete with New York in the near future!
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #9749
onthebund
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGIGAGA View Post
stop debating
none Chinese think Shanghai is comparable to Newyork
long long way to go!
Here is just a place to talk about skyscrapers
Not that long as you think.
Well, Shanghai is rising fast. The city is on the right track. Shanghai is building itself into an international financial,economic,trade and shipping center. By 2020, Shanghai will be on par with New York in financial field. My home city will be comparable to New York in the near future. Shanghai is ambitious to achieve that goal. My home city is fighting strong for its future!
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #9750
rebbel13

Likes (Received): 1102

380.000 sqm or 517.000 sqm is both actually not a lot for such a tall tower. BK tower as well. It's all about the height.
rebbel13 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #9751
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
Not that long as you think.
Well, Shanghai is rising fast. The city is on the right track. Shanghai is building itself into an international financial,economic,trade and shipping center. By 2020, Shanghai will be on par with New York in financial field. My home city will be comparable to New York in the near future. Shanghai is ambitious to achieve that goal. My home city is fighting strong for its future!
IMO if I still have to go to Hong Kong to invest in Chinese companies, that means Shanghai has a ways to go before calling itself a world financial centre on par with NY, London, or HK.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #9752
onthebund
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huhu View Post
IMO if I still have to go to Hong Kong to invest in Chinese companies, that means Shanghai has a ways to go before calling itself a world financial centre on par with NY, London, or HK.
Things are CHANGING . Believe it or not, Shanghai will replace HK to become the most important financial hub in Asia soon.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #9753
rebbel13

Likes (Received): 1102

Depends if the country will open up the Renminbi and the country itself. It's still all about China, the Chinese attitude is not so international (yet).
rebbel13 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #9754
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
Things are CHANGING . Believe it or not, Shanghai will replace HK to become the most important financial hub in Asia soon.
Good luck with that. Maybe when a typhoon wipes out HK, Shanghai has got a chance. Some fancy supertalls don't make a city a financial center, even the commie brothers are beginning to understand that lol.
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9755
ganghui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

In that case HK is also just a piece of fancy skyscrapers. Your attitude is very old fashion, people like you are living in the old age and cannot accept or understand the growing importance of Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbel13 View Post
Depends if the country will open up the Renminbi and the country itself. It's still all about China, the Chinese attitude is not so international (yet).
Shanghainese people definitely have a more international foreign-thinking than, let's say, their korean and japanese neighbours in Seoul and Tokyo. Even though they cannot speak for the whole of China, you people seem to criticize Shanghai itself as not being “international enough”. I still don’t understand where you get these strange opinions from, maybe its just a lot of tragic prejudices. I suggest you watch this video and get yourself updated about what’s going on in this city.

ganghui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #9756
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

The reason Hong Kong is a financial center of global importance is due to its proximity to mainland China. Shanghai doesn't even need to gain all the qualities HK has to beat it as a financial center. It will happen sooner than later simply because it's the main financial and trade hub of what is becoming the largest consumer and financial market in the world. Getting direct access and being INSIDE that market is a very important qualifying factor. This is the reason why Shanghai will outweigh Hong Kong as a financial center in a matter of a few years. Maybe it will have less international exposure but that's not the most important thing anyway.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #9757
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The reason Hong Kong is a financial center of global importance is due to its proximity to mainland China. Shanghai doesn't even need to gain all the qualities HK has to beat it as a financial center. It will happen sooner than later simply because it's the main financial and trade hub of what is becoming the largest consumer and financial market in the world. Getting direct access and being INSIDE that market is a very important qualifying factor. This is the reason why Shanghai will outweigh Hong Kong as a financial center in a matter of a few years. Maybe it will have less international exposure but that's not the most important thing anyway.
People have been saying that for more than 15 years, yet Shanghai is still at least a decade away from catching Hong Kong. I'm not saying it will never happen, merely pointing out that these predictions have been too hasty before. Right now global banks don't want to be inside China. They prefer to be a little outside, under laws and regulations they trust.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #9758
lowai

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganghui View Post
In that case HK is also just a piece of fancy skyscrapers. Your attitude is very old fashion, people like you are living in the old age and cannot accept or understand the growing importance of Shanghai.

Shanghainese people definitely have a more international foreign-thinking than, let's say, their korean and japanese neighbours in Seoul and Tokyo. Even though they cannot speak for the whole of China, you people seem to criticize Shanghai itself as not being “international enough”. I still don’t understand where you get these strange opinions from, maybe its just a lot of tragic prejudices. I suggest you watch this video and get yourself updated about what’s going on in this city.

Piers Morgan is a tool
lowai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #9759
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur
People have been saying that for more than 15 years, yet Shanghai is still at least a decade away from catching Hong Kong. I'm not saying it will never happen, merely pointing out that these predictions have been too hasty before. Right now global banks don't want to be inside China. They prefer to be a little outside, under laws and regulations they trust.
I really doubt anyone was saying that in a few years Shanghai would overtake Hong Kong in 1990 or 1995

Back in those days China's transport and other infrastructure was rather miserable. You can't have a financial center without having infrastructure. Now Shanghai has it and is well connected to the rest of China as well as the world. So 10 years is perhaps the most we can give. Probably less than that.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #9760
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
I really doubt anyone was saying that in a few years Shanghai would overtake Hong Kong in 1990 or 1995
Yes they were. This discussion was common in Hong Kong in 1996. They thought Shanghai would suprass Hong Kong within a couple of years. It was seen as an immediate threat. I had the same debate with university friends from Shanghai and Hong Kong in my first year at uni back in 1996. That's 16 years ago now.
Quote:
Back in those days China's transport and other infrastructure was rather miserable. You can't have a financial center without having infrastructure. Now Shanghai has it and is well connected to the rest of China as well as the world. So 10 years is perhaps the most we can give. Probably less than that.
If physical infrastructure was the main key, then Seoul and Beijing would have as big a chance as Shanghai, and Tokyo's position wouldn't be under threat. What really counts is soft infrastructure (laws, regulation, transparency) and a cluster of experienced professionals and support services. You can't build those by pouring concrete. As of now China (and hence Shanghai) doesn't have a freely convertable currency, which is a huge handicap to its emergence as a world class financial centre. There are moves towards this, but even they are being prioneered through Hong Kong (Chinese centre) and London (global centre) rather than Shanghai.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Last edited by Langur; January 16th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall