daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #9961
Cloudpiercer

Likes (Received): 66

i like how they planned to build the big 3 close to each other to represent china's rebirth from the past (jin mao), present (SWFC), and future (Shanghai tower), but unfortunately when the render showed the big 3 with shanghai tower in the middle, SWFC isn't facing the front so we can't see the square hole thingy.
Since shanghai tower is being categorized in "megatall" (600m at least), how come it only have 129 floor? while its at least 140m higher than the 101 floor SWFC? it's even comparable to the HK's 118 floor international commerce centre.. 484m building with 118 floor, and 632m building only has more 14 floor? considering they both had a flat roof & didn't have a spire to be measured
is it because of the wind turbine? or they didn't count the truss belt?
Cloudpiercer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #9962
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudpiercer View Post
i like how they planned to build the big 3 close to each other to represent china's rebirth from the past (jin mao), present (SWFC), and future (Shanghai tower), but unfortunately when the render showed the big 3 with shanghai tower in the middle, SWFC isn't facing the front so we can't see the square hole thingy.
Since shanghai tower is being categorized in "megatall" (600m at least), how come it only have 129 floor? while its at least 140m higher than the 101 floor SWFC? it's even comparable to the HK's 118 floor international commerce centre.. 484m building with 118 floor, and 632m building only has more 14 floor? considering they both had a flat roof & didn't have a spire to be measured
Larger floors, and a big crown on top.

I feel like this building has been stand still for the past month, and Chinese new year is well over, what gives?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #9963
DJW_GT

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Taller individual floors perhaps?
DJW_GT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #9964
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

You can now see it in the skyline which is a great sign.
Cant wait to see it completed. It will look great.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #9965
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

it's been visible on the skyline for quite some time though. I was hoping it would be taller by now.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #9966
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganghui View Post
In that photo it kinda looks like a fondue pot.
Lol they should turn the rainwater collector into a chocolate fountain
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #9967
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
it's been visible on the skyline for quite some time though. I was hoping it would be taller by now.
Yes but it is getting there. It will rise soon.
I cant wait until it overtakes SWFC.
That will be some sight to see.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #9968
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

Indeed, it's magnificent.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #9969
albertobusy
MEGALOPOLIS

Likes (Received): 62

Can't wait how it will look like with another beast among them!
albertobusy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #9970
Nr. 2
Paranoid

Quote:
The 118 floors of ICC are virtual floors, only real in the evil brains of marketing guys. I don't know what the real number is, but I remember that the elevator display "jumps" about 10 floors for the last floor. I guess all the "unlucky" floors are missing too, so the real number should be bellow 100 floors.
It's sad that the skyscraper forums and wikipedia promote this false numbers because it shifts the competition from higher floor numbers to more impertinent lies. The other proeminent cheater I know is the 1WTC in NY currently U/C where the numbers promoted are all around 105 but the actual floor count is 85 + 9 mezzanine (afaik the floors hit by the plains are missing).
Nr. 2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #9971
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

I don't get it why the floor count is so important to some people. Take the roof height and ceiling height of a building, do the math, and you'll get your "real" floor number. There are 250m tall buildings with 75 floors and 350m tall ones with 45 floors out there. So what?
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #9972
cyberx

Its shape is difficult to build.
cyberx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #9973
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
I don't get it why the floor count is so important to some people. Take the roof height and ceiling height of a building, do the math, and you'll get your "real" floor number. There are 250m tall buildings with 75 floors and 350m tall ones with 45 floors out there. So what?
Offices with larger floors height are generally considered better. Usually a top grade office should have around 5m tall ceiling. A 250m building with 75 floors will be like residential building.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #9974
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
I don't think it matters much, maybe people want to press bigger numbers in the elevator.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #9975
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Of course it's important. If you have 99 floors or 100 it makes a big difference in people's minds. So they quickly will add a floor, but if you look at for example WTC where they add more than 10 floors it's really big cheating.
Also most people (or companies) want to sit as high as possible. In New York, many think the higher the floor the more important the company or person occupying it is.
Now also with One57 they sell apartments at floor 90, which people are very impressed by, while actually it's only floor 72.
So I think floor count is very important my friend.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #9976
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr. 2 View Post
The 118 floors of ICC are virtual floors, only real in the evil brains of marketing guys. I don't know what the real number is, but I remember that the elevator display "jumps" about 10 floors for the last floor. I guess all the "unlucky" floors are missing too, so the real number should be bellow 100 floors.
It's sad that the skyscraper forums and wikipedia promote this false numbers because it shifts the competition from higher floor numbers to more impertinent lies. The other proeminent cheater I know is the 1WTC in NY currently U/C where the numbers promoted are all around 105 but the actual floor count is 85 + 9 mezzanine (afaik the floors hit by the plains are missing).
Hi Nr.

In regards to ICC, level 118 is actually the 107th level. I have a section drawing from a more than reliable source. The level count is one of the strangest of any tall building.

That said, there are very few tall buildings that number the levels the same as they actually acsend in the structure, for various reasons. Some end up with a higher number than actual and some end up lower (the BK, for example). The developer can lay out a level count as they see fit - it's their structure. Just like with spires/pinnacles, I don't think the count being higher than actual is "cheating" but each to their own.

I personally find the level counts of tall structures interesting, being a numbers guy.

Ray.
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #9977
Cloudpiercer

Likes (Received): 66

also i believe a "megatall" building would have a great deal at overcoming an earthquake. Would they set up a tuned mass damper like in taipei 101 or SWFC too?
i think it's spiral shape is strong enough to withstand tempest force, the wind turbine also helps in this circumstances, but without extra defense against earthquake, its still risky.
burj khalifa didn't even have any tuned mass damper, is it because they already located in a safe zone from the tectonic plate?
Cloudpiercer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #9978
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

A pretty cool timeline by Mori from gaoloumi.com

and this gives a perspective of how big those middle sections are..

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #9979
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post
That sounds like the ones they have in the tower of terror.
Yeah, but the tower of terror is the scariest thing in the world.
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #9980
tanpadia

Likes (Received): 6

the facade treatment ! awesome..
one of world wonder ...
tanpadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall