daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #12781
lowai

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach
haven't seen any new photos in a week or so,, Lowai you on vacation? Lil Universe? The glass has to be starting above the 2nd truss by now,, I mean it's been a week they usualyy get 3-4 rows per week Unlike,, well I'd rather not say
Business trip London
lowai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #12782
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

By Mori

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #12783
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

Very cool photos - now we know what the glass will look like over those truss belts.
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #12784
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

This might be the greatest skyscraper of all time.
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #12785
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yeah, it's turning out pretty okay, especially the cladding. Nice to see the truss covers don't interfere too much with the rest of the glass.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #12786
wynngd
HRH

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Well Emirates are technically in Asia, but they can hardly be named "an Asian country"... an "Arab country" maybe
haha yeap they want to be called Arabs not Asians. However, I'm just answering the research about using concrete and tall buildings... hehe
wynngd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12787
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

This tower is beautiful, I can't wait for the first picture at dawn or dusk with the light bouncing off both facades. Also, to the whole ST Vs. 1WTC price thing, you have to remember that the latter is built to take the biggest calamities fathomable and keep standing. I can't say this tower is cheap, this tower probably has equally, or near equally robust materials, just less of them. Of course we won't see three foot thick (~3m) 14000 psi rated core walls or custom made steel base columns of the strongest steel possible to produce at large scale at the time of production, but those aren't needed here. I might have to take a trip to this tower someday. Anyway, they are two buildings in different social, economic, and symbolic atmospheres. I love that this tower will, as far as I know, have space at the top freely assess-able to the public, a bold move in my book.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #12788
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 94038

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo View Post
Not necessarily...I guess the cheap migrant workers and the lower land costs make the real difference.
BTW land costs are much higher in Puxi ("old" part of SH) than in Pudong/Lujiazui CBD (where ST is located). So ST isn't even located in the most expensive part of Shanghai (that would be the area around People's Square).
Still the most expensive appartments in Shanghai are right in Lujiazui in those high-rises not far from ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
well you have to admit that 1wtc is quite more expensive then this bad boy being the fact that this is so much taller lol but yea i guess the parts of 1wtc aren't necessarily more expensive, does anyone know how much each of the facades etc cost on each of the towers for comparison?
+1. Actually lots of GOOD things in China are not that cheap. I've got some clothes, like a winter sweater, is is around 300 $. The brand is Youngor.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #12789
-TDN-

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynngd View Post
I agree, someone really needs to do a little research...

All modern structures that's taller than my house probably use a combination of steel and concrete. You don't know exactly how much steel and concrete is used except the engineers. Modern supertalls in Asia are much taller than those from North America. And if you assume taller buildings use less steel than shorter buildings in these modern days, then you're wrong. Don't think it's a good idea to assume the amount of concrete and steel inside a building by looking at the external of a supertall; and if you're going by that, then New York is full of concrete and bricks by the look of outside.
-TDN- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #12790
-TDN-

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
^ The base facade alone is $40 million.

No way
Labor cost is one really big factor, not only in building construction but also in manufacturing construction materials such as glasses, steel, concrete,..... I have no idea how much the facade is cost, but I'm sure that no country on Earth has better infrastructure, labor, and minerals required to produce quality materials (if you ignore the all the China stereotypes). If you had paid attention a bit in supertalls cladding in the past ten or twenty years, China is probably only country that can replicate and make a real life building look better than its render. This is all the result of a country's investment in all parts of the world, especially Africa, to obtain minerals. 1WTC's external is becoming similar to that of the Trump tower in Chicago, which is far from what it looks on computer, a result of not having quality minerals for glass production. Need to realize that the majority of materials people use on Earth were produced in China. China has the minerals, infrastructure, and labor to produce all types of quality materials, including quality looking glasses, which is what makes a building look good.
-TDN- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #12791
lowai

Likes (Received): 810

Took these yesterday afternoon and this morning

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
lowai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #12792
no1xc

Likes (Received): 4

Lowai's photos are great as usual.

I wonder why they don't use the same kind of glass on the truss belt as on the outer cladding. Using glass with similar levels of transparency could ensure a better visual continuity. Now if the truss belts look obviously different, the whole tower will look divided in several sections, which I don't know is a good thing or not.

Also I noticed the glass panels on the truss belt are smaller and there's a gap. This is interesting. I wonder what will be used to fill in the gap.
no1xc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #12793
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Is that even glass?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #12794
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Most buildings have this discontinuation, it makes the tower look less bland. If you look at 2IFC, ICC and even swfc, you see all these rows which disconnects the building. The most obvious one is GIFC, it makes the tower look less bland and more shaped.
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #12795
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1xc View Post
Lowai's photos are great as usual.

I wonder why they don't use the same kind of glass on the truss belt as on the outer cladding. Using glass with similar levels of transparency could ensure a better visual continuity. Now if the truss belts look obviously different, the whole tower will look divided in several sections, which I don't know is a good thing or not.

Also I noticed the glass panels on the truss belt are smaller and there's a gap. This is interesting. I wonder what will be used to fill in the gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

Is that even glass?
The 'belts' are MEP (mechanical,electrical,plumbing) /refuge floors. The gaps on the belt floors are for air intakes/exhausts (top/bottom respectively). And yes, the panels on the belt floors are not made of glass.

See http://www.gensler.com/uploads/docum...11_10_2011.pdf for more details.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #12796
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
By Mori

Wow!!! The cladding looks great over the truss belts,,, Smooth, this is by far the best going up at present time, or in my opinion ever... Welcome back Lowai, nice.

Last edited by bigreach; November 19th, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #12797
VRS

Likes (Received): 11519

good progress..
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #12798
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

are most people here some sort of civil engineers? A lot of people know so many things about truss belts, materials used, what different parts are etc...

I'm interested how many people know these things!
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #12799
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Yeah, it's turning out pretty okay, especially the cladding. Nice to see the truss covers don't interfere too much with the rest of the glass.
Just enough to make them visible, wich is a nice extra detail.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #12800
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by arend050 View Post
why is there a gap between the plates? they want cool air or something?
It has just been explained here.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall