daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #13441
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
Try to go for a walk around Lujiazui, its miserable. Wanna snack, too bad go to the mall. Convenient store, B3 JinMao. You are right that the layout of Pudong is not as car-friendly as the US, but it is not as Pedestrian friendly as other urban areas namely Puxi across the river. It isn't walkable, but it doesn't have as much parking as Atlanta. It is the worst of both worlds. LJZ has almost no street side retail, the streets are difficult to cross, each building is on its own plot, all entrances are surrounded by little planters with flowers. If they aren't building for cars, what are they building for?
Eh, it's probably just a modernized version of ancient chinese city planning. If you look at pre-Song dynasty cities, you can see where post-reform chinese cities get their roots. Now i can't say that there is a conscious effort to revive pre-Song city planning, but there are a lot of parallels. Take Tang Chang'an for instance. Notice that it is full of impossibly wide roads, some that are over a hundred (feet or meters i can't recall) wide. For a pre-industrial city, that was probably as inconvenient as modern Lujiazui or Beijing roads are today. Also pre-Song cities had blocks of massive walled complexes much like today's walled apartment compounds. The narrow streets of what is popularly considered traditional chinese cities were only a result of the center of chinese civilization having been forced southward by the Jurchens. They needed to adapt to more mountainous terrain crossed by a multitude of rivers and constrained by heavily wooded landscapes. They could no longer build the vast, wide, and pedestrian unfriendly cities that were prevalent when the chinese civilization was centered in the open central china plain.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #13442
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyperu34 View Post
Thats a great panorama! its almost as tall as the SWFC!
At least the top of the cranes

Highcliff liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #13443
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Try to go for a walk around Lujiazui, its miserable. Wanna snack, too bad go to the mall. Convenient store, B3 JinMao. You are right that the layout of Pudong is not as car-friendly as the US, but it is not as Pedestrian friendly as other urban areas namely Puxi across the river. It isn't walkable, but it doesn't have as much parking as Atlanta. It is the worst of both worlds. LJZ has almost no street side retail, the streets are difficult to cross, each building is on its own plot, all entrances are surrounded by little planters with flowers. If they aren't building for cars, what are they building for?
Luckily I'm familiar with the places you've cited. Your comparison makes as much sense as Abe Lincoln to Osama, or maybe Precious to Beyonce? They both have ovaries!

The funny thing is; you could have easily compared Shanghai to Hong Kong and Singapore, as their skybridges, PT investment, relatively open street level space, and density are much more similar to those of Shanghai. Strangely both these cities were singled out in the 80s for being pedestrian hostile, as their infrastructure was halfway finished.

Plus in humid cooling climates, it actually makes sense to leave space between buildings (the opposite of wanting tightly compact spaces to preserve heat in heating climates). Or you can check out various textbooks and their psychrometric charts.

One of the funny things is; both downtown Houston and downtown Atlanta have very impressive architecture. But their compromised "urbanity" isn't due to what you've cited, but are dysfunctional because of a lack of PT investment, very low density suburbs, and a general car dependence. Yeah, you don't mention these things, do you?

Since you've pressed ahead with your (idiotic) comparison based on "feeling", let's throw out some FACTS. You do realize Lujiazui's subway connections aren't complete? You do realize Lujiazui's elevated pedestrian network isn't complete? You do realize both its rail transit and its pedestrian skybridges are constantly being built? Houston has a light rail line, and Atlanta to its credit actually has a subway. What proportion of commuters in these cities use public transit? Are resources poured into upgrading their subways? Then it comes to density; how many residences in Shanghai are single-family like in Atlanta or Houston? How many of these residences take up giant lots like they do in Atlanta or Houston? You just want to discuss some facts here.

But since your definition of urbanity sounds like something out of Disneyland, you could continue to ignore empirical evidence in your arguments.
particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #13444
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

So I finally got around to seeing Skyfall earlier today, and the shots of Shanghai in the movie were simply beautiful. The scenes were filmed when ST were around half of Jin Mao's height, so most unfortunately, we don't get to see much of ST. But it was a pretty good movie, and if you guys haven't seen it yet, I recommend you do so, and see those beautiful shots of this beautiful city.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #13445
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Hong Kong as dense as Lujiazui? Central the HK equivalent is way more dense save for the waterfront. I do disagree with the walkways in HK, I think it should be on the street. You can compare the Suburbs of HK to Lujiazui. I can't speak for Singapore because I have never been there.

The subway connections are terrible, the walk from exit 6 at Lujiazui station takes you to a mall full of overpriced Japanese food. out to a sidewalk next to a highway, down a then you have to cross a huge empty street with rounded curves( which don't make drivers slow down) then a park (its a construction site now, whatever they put there will probably suck, then to Jin Mao and the Shanghai tower. Oh BTW those walkways were not part of the initail plan, thats why they stick out like a sore thumb, they were decided on after planners realized what a mess they made. Wanna go to north or south Lujiazui? More walking along retailless streets, you can enjoy the flowers though.

You are looking at the plan from a birds angle, you need to look it from the persons angle. What do you see along the street, not what you see from the air. This I why I can walk from Xujiahui to Nanjing Road and not feel boared. I'm going places, there are things to see, I feel my own progress. You do not get this feeling when walking down century avenue. Yes I base this on feeling because I am human, I feel. Im not a communist robot.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #13446
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Severiano what makes you think that your feeling is somehow more important than my feeling or some other guy's feeling? That's a rather subjective measure of urban integrity and effectiveness.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #13447
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Lujiazui sucks, simple as that. People only go there, because they have to (i.e. for work). Puxi on the other hand rulez - dense, vibrant, lively, convenient. You just name it, Puxi's got it all.

Btw great progress here, now the hot phase begins where the tower is going to surpass SWFC.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13448
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
Lujiazui sucks, simple as that. People only go there, because they have to (i.e. for work). Puxi on the other hand rulez - dense, vibrant, lively, convenient. You just name it, Puxi's got it all.

Btw great progress here, now the hot phase begins where the tower is going to surpass SWFC.
That's rather strange because even late at night I was observing very busy environments in some parts of Lujiazui. Of course I have photos and videos too.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #13449
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

2013.1.9 by butternbear

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #13450
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by little universe View Post

GREAT SHOT FROM JINMAO TOWER
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #13451
ChicagoIcon

Likes (Received): 68

image hosted on flickr

Marshall Strabala (above), Chief Architect of the Shanghai Tower, stands in front of the colossal facility in a photo published in That's Shanghai magazine (January 2013 edition) with a story profiling him called "Doyen of Design." When finished in late 2014, Shanghai Tower will be China's tallest building and the world's second tallest building. Strabala also is Founder and Design Partner of 2DEFINE Architecture, a global architectural firm with offices in Shanghai, Seoul and Chicago http://www.define-arch.com.

Read the story at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archite...7623881091573/ or on That's Shanghai's website at: www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/article/view/11967

Last edited by ChicagoIcon; January 11th, 2013 at 09:38 PM.
ChicagoIcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #13452
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

I don't know why I check this everyday. I can see the damn thing from my office.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #13453
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Hong Kong as dense as Lujiazui? Central the HK equivalent is way more dense save for the waterfront. I do disagree with the walkways in HK, I think it should be on the street. You can compare the Suburbs of HK to Lujiazui. I can't speak for Singapore because I have never been there.

The subway connections are terrible, the walk from exit 6 at Lujiazui station takes you to a mall full of overpriced Japanese food. out to a sidewalk next to a highway, down a then you have to cross a huge empty street with rounded curves( which don't make drivers slow down) then a park (its a construction site now, whatever they put there will probably suck, then to Jin Mao and the Shanghai tower. Oh BTW those walkways were not part of the initail plan, thats why they stick out like a sore thumb, they were decided on after planners realized what a mess they made. Wanna go to north or south Lujiazui? More walking along retailless streets, you can enjoy the flowers though.

You are looking at the plan from a birds angle, you need to look it from the persons angle. What do you see along the street, not what you see from the air. This I why I can walk from Xujiahui to Nanjing Road and not feel boared. I'm going places, there are things to see, I feel my own progress. You do not get this feeling when walking down century avenue. Yes I base this on feeling because I am human, I feel. Im not a communist robot.
I've walked around Lujiazui and can say I feel the same as you do. Hong Kong and Singapore much more warm and cozy for the pedestrian. I say give Lujaizui time because I doubt it will be the way it currently is forever. I can't wait for it to become almost as lively as Nanjing Rd....I say "almost" and maybe I'm dreaming here.

This is going to be a fun tower to visit. I'd love to sit and relax in one of the sky parks.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #13454
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

On the subject of Strabala:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDc3OTMxMjI4.html
Someone linked this one before; an interview with a pretty dim Nancy Merrill.

And here's another interview from November:
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #13455
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
I don't know why I check this everyday. I can see the damn thing from my office.
Which office are you in?
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #13456
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
To cut a long story short LA and Beijing are about the same size in terms of footprint. However LA has a small highrise centre and is surrounded by lowrise sprawl, whereas Beijing has a relatively lowrise, historic centre with accordant height regulations, surrounded by highrise sprawl. This is the doughnut effect. China doesnt have the McMansion style suburbs en masse yet - the 2000 newcomers each day have to be housed in highrises.
But that's what I'm getting at...I think when people say a city is "dense" (or, when they say a city "sprawls"), what they're saying by proxy is that that city is "tall" (or "lowrise"). It just seems to me this kind of ruins the discussion if you employ this kind of metric for it, no? What I mean, is that, when we talk about "density" some of us are talking about specific qualities that place it in category A and others are talking about specific qualities that differentiate it from category B. I'm not convinced the logic of both always lines up...I think we often have two distinct discussions going on: one about land use and the role of transport infrastructure and the other about what that development should look like.

Basically, I don't think we should necessarily employ the term "density" as some sort of antithesis of "sprawl": they can be mutually exclusive and often are.

If that makes sense at all...?

Though, I'm sure this is only a few posts away from getting blasted as off topic. But I do think this is really prescient...and fits in the broader topic and would appreciate it if it could on intermittently?
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #13457
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By xsw999

Highcliff liked this post
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #13458
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Nce wallpaper material
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #13459
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzio View Post
Have you got a bigger size of this photo?

Here you go... enjoy...

By my selected memories-between east & west from flickr

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

Highcliff, Zefire liked this post

Last edited by little universe; January 12th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #13460
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

Are the cranes officially above the WFC?!
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall