daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #14521
huizer

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
I wonder if white magnolia plaza would be visibla from this spot when finished. that would make the skyline look even more bad ass.

FM 2258, roydex liked this post
huizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #14522
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

image hosted on flickr

SWFC and Shanghai Tower by EdzL, on Flickr

CP11, TowerJunkie, vazim, UnoMi, billgates and 3 others liked this post
Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #14523
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daireon View Post
I think it's time for the next Shanghai's Supertall project to come up. Shanghai Tower is not far from topping out, and once it's finished I would really like to see another futuristic and amazing building getting built in this city, of course in the Pudong Area

BTW my jaw drops everytime I check for new updates here!!
My jaw drops when i think 1 ton of concrete = 1 ton of C02. Are we all so seduced by these towers we forget their true impact. That will be 7 billion tons of C02 from China this year in concrete production alone. And yes i also slated the Shard for much the same reasons, before people think this is geo-political. All the efforts of Europe to try and produce more sustainable buildings and reduce the amount of C02 emissions are pointless when China continues on regerdless. But its a beautiful building so who cares! Lets continue to sleepwalk to a world broken beyond repair, we're only human.

kix111, BeLogical liked this post
Arch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #14524
cfredo

Likes (Received): 1334

Europe and the US still have higher CO2 emissions per capita. It's too simple to say China is the bad guy and Europeans are the ones trying to save the world...
I can't tell (as a German) a Chinese that he should keep on riding his bike, but I want to keep my two cars per household.
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #14525
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
My jaw drops when i think 1 ton of concrete = 1 ton of C02. Are we all so seduced by these towers we forget their true impact. That will be 7 billion tons of C02 from China this year in concrete production alone. And yes i also slated the Shard for much the same reasons, before people think this is geo-political. All the efforts of Europe to try and produce more sustainable buildings and reduce the amount of C02 emissions are pointless when China continues on regerdless. But its a beautiful building so who cares! Lets continue to sleepwalk to a world broken beyond repair, we're only human.
I gave you a like for all this effort you put in in trolling this thread
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #14526
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

i also hope for more skyscraper density soon. there is still enough space eround for a few supertalls :p
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #14527
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
But its a beautiful building so who cares!
Exactly. Anyway...

Regarding building another supertall, after the ST I feel any other super tall built in Pudong would be a step down if built in a traditional fashion. The architectural bar has really been raised in that area.
Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #14528
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
Exactly. Anyway...

Regarding building another supertall, after the ST I feel any other super tall built in Pudong would be a step down if built in a traditional fashion. The architectural bar has really been raised in that area.
I don't think so, after the bottle opener and the damaged muffler there sure is some place for another great architecture.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #14529
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daireon View Post
I think it's time for the next Shanghai's Supertall project to come up. Shanghai Tower is not far from topping out, and once it's finished I would really like to see another futuristic and amazing building getting built in this city, of course in the Pudong Area

BTW my jaw drops everytime I check for new updates here!!
So, go get yourself some investors, some tenants, an architect and go for it!
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #14530
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 12899

Quote:
How are we supposed to build then? Make buildings out of wood?
Chrissib está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #14531
Pilot89

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizer View Post
I wonder if white magnolia plaza would be visibla from this spot when finished. that would make the skyline look even more bad ass.
Breathtaking views in Shanghai. Awesome.
Pilot89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #14532
-TDN-

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I gave you a like for all this effort you put in in trolling this thread
That's not trolling. That's sadly an honest opinion of an average English (I could expand this word if needed to) man's knowledge about China. This happens a lot in threads about Chinese buildings.

Last edited by -TDN-; April 17th, 2013 at 02:53 AM.
-TDN- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #14533
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Did you ever think about how skyscrapers increase density, which reduces sprawl, which in turn reduces emissions? I think if you studied the trends of major cities that have increased their density over the past several decades, you'd notice that emissions per capita in their metro area will have dropped significantly, more than offsetting the tonnage of CO2 created in building those buildings (which are one-time emissions, rather than ongoing ones).

Bluemooncm78 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #14534
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Did you ever think about how skyscrapers increase density, which reduces sprawl, which in turn reduces emissions? I think if you studied the trends of major cities that have increased their density over the past several decades, you'd notice that emissions per capita in their metro area will have dropped significantly, more than offsetting the tonnage of CO2 created in building those buildings (which are one-time emissions, rather than ongoing ones).
Not necessarily Shanghai, but many other smaller Chinese cities really arent that dense, at least not dense enough to ensure that mass transportation is the preferred means of movement. They are essentially building large, spaced out appartment blocks at low density levels that ensure that anyone with the means to purchase a car will purchase and use one instead of utilize mass transportation networks. This fact is backed by the fact that automobile ownership in China is increasing at a quick pace and that more poeple own cars in China than any other nation in the world. China is the number one polluter of the world and the foolish urbanization policies followed by many of its cities will ensure that it will not only continue to hold that title, but continually strengthen it for a very long time.
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #14535
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLogical View Post
Not necessarily Shanghai, but many other smaller Chinese cities really arent that dense, at least not dense enough to ensure that mass transportation is the preferred means of movement. They are essentially building large, spaced out appartment blocks at low density levels that ensure that anyone with the means to purchase a car will purchase and use one instead of utilize mass transportation networks. This fact is backed by the fact that automobile ownership in China is increasing at a quick pace and that more poeple own cars in China than any other nation in the world. China is the number one polluter of the world and the foolish urbanization policies followed by many of its cities will ensure that it will not only continue to hold that title, but continually strengthen it for a very long time.
Your script is hypercritical and condescending to 90% of the world's people.

China doesn't polute - people do.

Last edited by skyridgeline; April 17th, 2013 at 04:26 AM.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #14536
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

I would love to see another Supertall in the area, well how about another Megatall,, The three represent Past, Present, Future,, what would the 4th's title be?? I would love to see them go higher than Burj with "something".. This seems to be the Place for it, or they can put it across the river, like Hong Kong's 2 Supertalls, seperated by a body of water,,That would be SWEET.... If not Burj height,, keep it consistent,, another 300-500 ft, taller than previous built, like the currrent 3! I would love to see 2500ft,, maybe 750+ (meters)...Another question,, what district is across the river?? heard it mentioned,, But Pudong district is the area with the 4 beauties, (OPT included) correct?? And somebody had a problem with SWFC's base on another thread,, compare SWFC with 1WTC's base,, Night and Day in my opinion,, 1wtc base is simply hideous,(as well as poor planned),, SWFC nice simple design looks 100 times better in my eyes.. I hate to "hate" on 1WTC because I like it, but the base and spire/mast have downgraded it considerably to myself and other forumers.. The base (wtc) just reminds me of a algae ridden aquarium.. They should have looked at SWFC's and went along those lines.. Just my opinion, I know I'm gonna be trashed by 1 WTC lovers, remember it's 1 person's opinion,, before blazing me... Ny'ers believe me I would love for projects like China's to happen Here in the States, but It just ain't gonna happen!! And I'm not anti-American,, just gotta give China credit where credit is due...

Last edited by bigreach; April 17th, 2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Another Megatall??? DO IT
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #14537
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By 洛杉矶特警, taken from the platform (not the crane)
http://weibo.com/wangtaoswat

Old April 17th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #14538
VRS

Likes (Received): 11519

lovely view landscape city.
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #14539
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5507

Quote:
The CO2 produced to build this tower is nothing compared to the car emissions that would mean having a large new urbanized zone with many small constructions. But oh well Europe and the US are experts on designing sprawled cities so I'm not gonna bore you with that, so just let me ask you what it took to make Europe change after more than 200 years of non-stop pollution making. I guess that once they developed their economies and societies now they can afford new clean and expensive energy production, of course after realizing how messed up the ecology is now and that there's no going back, so yes! lets blame China for the greenhouse effect. But you tell me.

And yeah, right, we all signed up to skyscrapercity because we love short and small buildings. That's reallywhy our jaw drops
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #14540
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5507

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
So, go get yourself some investors, some tenants, an architect and go for it!

Highcliff liked this post
Daireon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall