daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #18321
NotThatGuy

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Forum_ View Post
Thanks for the finding
The new design matches with the ongoing crown construction.
Like this:

[IMG]http://i57.************/2955p52.jpg[/IMG]
Basically, the original design contemplated the iron crown's structure to be exclusively resting on the topmost part of the iron cage placed on the top of the core. They've found this not be a too reliable solution, due to wind and seismic forces at such an height. Therefore they decided to make the crown iron cage supported both by the uppermost part of the core and by the uppermost belt truss, i.e. the one placed at levels 116-117-118.
Therefore diagonal bracing at levels 119-120-121 and vertical perimetral ties from level 122 up, are a complete novelty respect to the original project.

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #18322
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGuy View Post
Basically, the original design contemplated the iron crown's structure to be exclusively resting on the topmost part of the iron cage placed on the top of the core. They've found this not be a too reliable solution, due to wind and seismic forces at such an height. Therefore they decided to make the crown iron cage supported both by the uppermost part of the core and by the uppermost belt truss, i.e. the one placed at levels 116-117-118.
Therefore diagonal bracing at levels 119-120-121 and vertical perimetral ties from level 122 up, are a complete novelty respect to the original project.
Thanks for the insight and to the OP for the diagram.

Does this mean that the floor count will be 130?

Count it. If the diagonal bracing is at levels 119-120-121 then the structure will have 130 storeys. I count 9 mechanical above 121...and 7 storeys of equivalent crown above that...

Last edited by China Hand; February 11th, 2014 at 08:06 PM.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #18323
NotThatGuy

More or less, China Hand. The concrete structure has been T/O at the ceiling of level 124, from level 125 to 130 it's only steel, as it's clearly visible in the published photos. Here's where, amongst the other things, the 1.500 tons mass damper will be placed. Beyond level 130 will be 'pure crown'. What I actually don't still know, is which one will be the highest accessible floor, meaning for 'accessible' that is walkable by anyone (authorized personnel or public that is).
I know that the highest elevator's machinery room will be at level 124, so this may determine the official floor count. Anyway, the section above shows that also lvls 125-126-127 will have a walkable space (don't know if public or not) all around the mass damper encasement.
Seems to me that the floor of lvl 128 may be considered as the structural roof of the building, while lvls 129 and 130 should only be the steel where the mass damper will be hanging.
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #18324
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

I still don't get how many real floors this tower will have .
121? 124? 128? 130?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #18325
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Not only does the building keep getting better, the pictures do too!
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #18326
pteranodon

Likes (Received): 196

del

Last edited by pteranodon; February 13th, 2014 at 06:13 PM.
pteranodon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #18327
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
never see and never thought that we can found this view in Shanghai with ST as a background. in a few years, this area will transformed in to apartment block like we can saw in a right below

And that is a poity. Sure, Shanghai blocks are better than almost anywhere, but this low-rise communities are a history. Much better would it be if they repaired them so that these houses look clean and attractive.
Personally I prefer the high rises. This is Shanghai, a city, not a supersmall farm community somewhere in the fields.

VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #18328
orange boy
BANNED

120 fl. is the last observatory. Next are same kind mechanical as WTC 1. Or something else.
orange boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #18329
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

I wonder how visible the cross-bracing will be through the facade.

If it's very noticeable, it could muddy things up a bit. Conversely, it could make the crown appear like a longer, more distinct and more prominent section of the tower. Since it seems they're modifying things on the fly, we probably won't see any renders. I guess time will tell whether it looks better, worse, or doesn't make much of a difference.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #18330
NotThatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I wonder how visible the cross-bracing will be through the facade.

If it's very noticeable, it could muddy things up a bit. Conversely, it could make the crown appear like a longer, more distinct and more prominent section of the tower. Since it seems they're modifying things on the fly, we probably won't see any renders. I guess time will tell whether it looks better, worse, or doesn't make much of a difference.
They didn't changed things for aesthetic reasons. Anyway, the most visible parts of the new structure should be the vertical ties behind the glass facade .... nothing too much different from the vertical ties which substain the external glass skin for the full height of the building. The internal cross bracing isn't basically changed respect to the original project, and it's too internal to be seen from outside (also, it should be encased in some way).
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #18331
NotThatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteranodon View Post
Maybe levels 128 and 129 have some walkable space, too. Aren't there small human figures representing that?
I can't see any small human figure at lvl 129.
There's one at lvl 128, but this doesn't mean lvl 128 couldn't be the roof .... roofs can be walkable as well
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #18332
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 94010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
Personally I prefer the high rises. This is Shanghai, a city, not a supersmall farm community somewhere in the fields.
The best city should include everything to reflect the world, as I say.

Low rises do not mean a farm community. Besides, many of these small houses feature decorations and sometimes even frescoes. They are just dirty and a bit worn out. But they can be an attraction.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #18333
vertebral

Likes (Received): 8230

orange boy, newfvgffm, _Forum_, CP11, GeoDude and 24 others liked this post
vertebral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #18334
orange boy
BANNED

Nice view from the top.

ajosh821, _Forum_, jvlopez77, n20 liked this post
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #18335
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange boy View Post
Nice view from the top.
Nice? That view is awesome! Just the quality of the pic isn't
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #18336
orange boy
BANNED

I mean the details of the building on top. Rarely seen such a picture, or in this case a screenshot from russian clip.
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #18337
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28159

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange boy View Post
I mean the details of the building on top. Rarely seen such a picture, or in this case a screenshot from russian clip.
Which is why the quality is poor. Still good enough to see the details of the crown structure.
It looks massive.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #18338
_Forum_
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar

Likes (Received): 3880

Photos copyright: Vitaliy Raskalov

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #18339
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

^

wow

some of the best photos i have ever seen of shanghai. maybe THE best.

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel

K.S.A, big-dog liked this post
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #18340
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

amazing pics
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall