daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Dubai Projects > Offshore Developments

Offshore Developments Dubai's offshore projects including Palm Jumeirah, Palm Deira, Palm Jebel Ali and The Waterfront

Old February 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #1121
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Indeed it doesn't look quite like the artist impressions. We had a guy from Van Oord doing a lecture on these during the Construction Site festival, telling us that it's extremely hard if not impossible to predict how these islands will behave in the water in the long run. Keep in mind the sea is just a big moving, living thing in which by nature small island tend to almost float around. I can understand if they had to make some concessions during the construction.

Anyway, this link has some video of the World in it, I don't know if people here have already seen it.
That is true Jan, and making concessions here and there is understandable I suppose, but completely changing the overall picture is another. My point is South America ... look at it ... it's unrecognisable. Looks like a "J" or a hook or something ... We all know it will never be exactly like the renders / plans but this is ridiculous.
Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1122
kees1963

Likes (Received): 0

Hy,
Parisian girl

It all depent on the buyers. If you have 300 people (miljonairs) who buys a island then you have 300 islands. If you have some hotel groups then you have less islands and the temporary breakwaters stay as they are. (also the ''j'' =temporary breakwater) As i say before this is not the defenitive view.
(sorry fore my bad englisch)
kees1963 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #1123
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees1963 View Post
Hy,
Parisian girl

It all depent on the buyers. If you have 300 people (miljonairs) who buys a island then you have 300 islands. If you have some hotel groups then you have less islands and the temporary breakwaters stay as they are. (also the ''j'' =temporary breakwater) As i say before this is not the defenitive view.
(sorry fore my bad englisch)
Hi Kees1963,

We'll just have to wait and see huh ... I'd personally luv to see South America come into its own and take on its proper shape, or at least, fill out more and get closer to the original as possible.

Thanks anyway
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #1124
TowerPower
Ashld-biggest little city

Likes (Received): 1

flickr 2/11/08
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1125
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

Location: Nanjing (CN), Beijing (CN), Braunschweig (GER), Dubai (UAE)
Likes (Received): 83

videos of the world

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/the-w...bile-camera%29

- Your man for special investigative tasks in the Yangtse River Delta ! -

Three things I am following on the Internet:

- Skyscraper Construction in China
- Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR
- Discovery of Extrasolar Planets
Julito-dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #1126
RamonPouw

Ey Towerpower.. Can you give me the flickr link where you got that from?

That picture looks great!
RamonPouw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1127
helghast
829.84m / 2,722ft

Likes (Received): 73

this is the best pic i'd ever seen of the world
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/8360/dubai2at7.jpg
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #1128
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 68

It looks like the world has gone red with embarrassment about the universe project.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1129
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

I agree, The World looks so beautiful and peaceful in that photo ... why can't they just leave it at that?

I think Australasia has come out looking the best of all the islands. It looks awesome!
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1130
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 33

yep nice pic but it does seem alters in terms of the colour i think
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #1131
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

another island sold:

Dubai: Singapore-based Cinnovation Group on Monday said it has acquired the Nova Island in Nakheel's The World islands project.

The company also revealed plans to build a luxury hospitality haven on this 400,000 square foot island - a project valued at $200 million (Dh730 million).

Cinnovation's acquisition of the island and its development is in partnership with Dubai-based Global Realty Partners (GRP) Group.

"Cinnovation selects the most exotic locations and the most reputed partners for its hospitality ventures," said Varun Chaudhary, director of Cinnovation's Dubai operations.

The hospitality arm of Cinnovation Group owns resorts in Maldives, Sri Lanka and Malaysia. Other projects include management and development of boutique resorts in the Middle East, South East Asia, India and China, business hotels in the Middle East and India, and eco-tourism resorts in Africa.

GRP, headed by Arshad Wahedna as director, is one of the first property development companies to have invested in the freehold real estate market of Dubai.

On Nova Island, Cinnovation plans to create an island paradise reflecting the best aspects of its flagship property Taj Exotica Resort & Spa (Maldives), a Leading Hotel of the World.

- Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1132
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

from the website: the Island is Novaya Zemlya, so they got the Nuke dumping island of the Russians!!!

http://cigenhospitality.com/novaisland.html

just realized that this island is not even built yet!

Old February 19th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #1133
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 6

Both renders of the world in the first page of that link are VERY old!

I dont understand how they can be so frivolous with their marketing and sourcing of material.

Heres the latest rendition of The World...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #1134
The Cebuano Exultor
Urban Fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

What Happened to the Promise of The World

I really liked the previous design for The World better than the new one. The world maps looks quite indistinguishable from the air with the new design.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #1135
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower View Post
flickr 2/11/08
whataaa perfect golden palm shoot
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM   #1136
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

The World looks awesome in that photo alright bizzy ... but so much for "privacy" and "solitude"

Thought that was the fundamental purpose of The World ... thought wrong
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:02 AM   #1137
shantoosie

Parisian Girl you have to consider the scale it is like 7kms by 9kms. Each island is at lest 50metres away from the others.
shantoosie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM   #1138
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

now 50 % sold out
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1139
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantoosie View Post
Parisian Girl you have to consider the scale it is like 7kms by 9kms. Each island is at lest 50metres away from the others.
Yea, I know, but I'm referring to the ridiculously close proximity of Universe to The World Shantoosie. That for me will take away what makes TW so special in the first place ... IMHO there should be nothing anywhere near TW. I loved the remoteness of TW ... but this outrageously tacky Universe has totally spoiled it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybonita
now 50 % sold out
I wonder how much of that 50% is for private residential ... not a lot I reckon ...
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1140
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

The World Exclusive special report

Never-before seen photography and video footage of Nakheel’s manmade archipelago The World has been released to ArabianBusiness.com as part of our The World Exclusive special report.

The footage has been made available to the public for the very first time, showing stunning underwater, ground and aerial shots of the 300 islands that make up the $3 billion development.

The landmark multimedia special report has been launched to mark the completion of the project after five years of construction. The islands are now ready to hand over to owners for development.Apart from a show island built on the Greenland plot, construction is yet to begin on the islands, and the footage offers a rare opportunity to the see The World before building and infrastructure work begins later this year.

The report also includes exclusive helicopter footage featuring iconic Dubai structures including the tallest building in the world, the Burj Dubai, the Palm islands, Burj Al-Arab, Sheikh Zayed Road and Emirates Towers.

Islands on The World, located four kilometres offshore from Dubai, are being offered for sale on a freehold basis to selected investors, and are only accessible by marine or air transport.

The average price for an island ranges from $15 million to $50 million, but the total cost of developing an island is much higher as owners are expected to provide all necessary infrastructure. The most expensive island costs $263 million.

Around 50% of the 300 islands that make up The World have been sold so far. Some of The World islands represent countries, while others represent cities.

Nakheel, part of state-owned conglomerate Dubai World, has remained tight-lipped about many of the islands' owners, and numerous high-profile celebrities, businessman, royalty and sports stars have been linked with the development.

Hollywood stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been linked with the Ethiopia plot, and
Richard Branson was drafted in to plant a Union Jack on Great Britain in 2006, sparking speculation that he had bought the island.

One of the few confirmed buyers is Kuwait-based Investment Dar, which has purchased 20 islands that make up Australia and New Zealand to turn into a resort called Oqyana.

Irish business consortium Larionovo has also been announced as the buyer of Ireland, which is to be developed into an Irish-themed resort called 'Ireland in the Sun'.

And prominent Chinese businessman Bin Hu has also been revealed as the owner of Shanghai, which he paid $28 million for.

Each year Nakheel invites 50 people to come and view The World, and then if they are interested buy into the project.

source
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/51121...released?ln=en

Tags
artificial island, dubai