daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM   #121
vid

Likes (Received): 921

That data is old, it's from the Wiki article (I recognize the format - I wrote that chart myself)

The areas growing are health and education and business and other services. The retail sector has always been fairly strong here, new stores open on a near daily basis, and the medical research sector is getting stronger every day. Bowater and Northwest Wood Preserves are pretty much the last link to forestry we have, and it's likely they will be gone in a decade if things don't change much. Bombardier is going pretty good, and will be doing even better if Ontario decides to maintain a Made in Ontario policy. It's more expensive, but a lot of the money they spend on the cars goes to workers salaries, which in terns goes to income taxes -- back into Provincial coffers. It's actually cheaper if you look at the big picture.

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:19 AM   #122
softee

Likes (Received): 74

From this month's Northern Ontario Business:

North Bay becoming a hotbed of hotel construction

By NICK STEWART

Having completed the final touches on North Bay’s newest hotel, a Burlington-based developer is already ramping up to begin construction on a second, with the idea for a third hotel also in the works.

“We’ve conducted a series of market studies for the region, and they indicated to us that there was in fact room for up to three new hotels in the city, so that’s what we’re going to do,” says Darko Vranich, president and CEO of Vrancor Development Corporation.

The combined total of building the two initial hotels will reach beyond $30 million, and will employ more than 100 people.

Despite the official opening of the 116-bed Holiday Inn Express in late July, Vranich’s involvement doesn’t end there. He also runs a hospitality management firm, Vrancor Hospitality Corporation, which oversees the operation of the hotels once they’ve been built.

To date, the company has built and overseen six hotels throughout southern Ontario and the United States, including London, Toronto, Hamilton, Huntsville, as well as Kansas City, Missouri and Omaha, Nebraska.

Although “all are welcome to stay there,” Vranich says the new Holiday Inn Express has a variety of features specifically suited to cater to corporate clients. These include an exercise room, photocopy and fax services, as well as a meeting space designed to hold up to 100 people. A smaller boardroom is also available for up to 25 people.

This particular focus is a result of studies that indicate a growing number of local businesses with a client base extending beyond the immediate area require more accommodations during their stay.

In the coming weeks, Vrancor will begin work on an extended stay hotel known as Staybridge Suites, an 85-room facility featuring one and two-bedroom spaces as well as studio apartments. Allowing for a stay up to a year, the hotel features amenities such as fridges and stoves in each unit. This allows people to look for permanent residence, while relocating to the city, or for families as they tour the region, Vranich says.

Like the Holiday Inn Express, construction of Staybridge will largely be overseen by Vrancor, who will employ a variety of local subcontractors such as Miller Paving Limited.

However, the company’s plans for the city won’t end there, as Vranich says he fully intends to build a third, Hilton-branded hotel in the city, though details have not been finalized.

With the strengthening economy, record construction levels and a growing number of businesses settling into the city, North Bay seemed a natural choice to establish new hotels, Vranich says.

“It’s very simple: you go where the market is.”

Tourism typically injects $197 million into the local economy, while supporting the 1,200 businesses that provide direct or indirect service to the industry. North Bay stands to benefit from new hotel construction, according to Katarina Nordbeck, tourism coordinator for the City of North Bay.

Not only does it create additional accommodation space for travellers, but a series of multi-million dollar investments by a recognized name in hospitality will assist local efforts to attract new business to the region, she says.
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #123
vid

The provincial government is wrapping up the design phase of the new courthouse and will look for a location later in the year, we should be able to see it by the end of the year. I'm hoping for a highrise, which is likely if they go with city council and build in DTFW. There is actually a pretty good spot down the street from me that wouldn't make it out of place at all, and would really help to rejuvenate the area. The only thing that would hold that kind of project back would be suburbanites complaining that it will cast shadows on their home and open the gates of hell, allowing him to corrupt their gas huffing children into *gasp* 'Homasexiyuls'. (As the pronounce it here..)

And Green Acres is still fighting to preserve their bombed out school from the evils of residentiality.
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #124
softee

I went on a boat cruise Sunday evening and snapped this of the hospital site from out on Lake Nipissing.
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #125
worldwide

Likes (Received): 3

what is that u/c?
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #126
softee

^ It's a new hospital.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #127
vid

A vertical hospital! Unlike our 1000ft long one.
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #128
Danny D

Likes (Received): 0

New school has been talked about. also the city is looking for developers for the waterfront i hear. well thats about all ive heard in the last 2 months
Danny D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #129
vid

The school faces heavy opposition, the city has decided to allow private investors to own parcels of land on the waterfront, and will begin a NA wide ad for people to express interest in the hotel and condo starting on October 1. They expect to have the hotel and condo proposals in by November and the green community proposal in by January or February.
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #130
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Hey, the hospital in North Bay is looking great.

I was in North Bay yesterday to see the Led Zeppelin tribute at the Capitol Centre. Damn, that downtown is nice.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:05 AM   #131
softee

^ How was that show? I probably would have gone if I didn't have to work last night.
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:09 AM   #132
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

It was awesome

Last edited by Quall; May 24th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #133
Danny D

Vid did you hear anything about developers for the waterfront yet? i saw on the city's site that the closing date for applications to develop on the waterfront end in 2 weeks lmao.
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #134
vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
Vid did you hear anything about developers for the waterfront yet? i saw on the city's site that the closing date for applications to develop on the waterfront end in 2 weeks lmao.
They started advertising a week ago. :P Maybe they're having better luck than it seems? There hasn't really been much news about it lately and I've been somewhat pre-occupied.
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM   #135
softee

Here are a couple of pics of the new Future shop at Northgate Shopping Centre, the actual store is hidden behind the mall parking garage, so to make sure people know it's there, they went totally crazy with the sign!

You can see this thing from miles away at night!

Last edited by softee; November 1st, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
softee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:50 AM   #136
vid

The historic Bank of Commerce building has been saved!! Habib Architects purchased the building today, and will save the façade!! The burned out portion of the building will be demolished and the façade will remain standing at the site, pending a future project.

TBSource story | My blog

The off-leash dog park opened today.

For more, see the SSP NorOnt thread.

Last edited by vid; November 2nd, 2007 at 03:58 AM.
vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:12 AM   #137
Prince Victor
••• Yo ♥ Rep Dom •••

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Here are a couple of pics of the new Future shop at Northgate Shopping Centre, the actual store is hidden behind the mall parking garage, so to make sure people know it's there, they went totally crazy with the sign!

You can see this thing from miles away at night!
NICE

██████████████_ ██████████████
Provincias Unidas de Dominicana
██████████████_ ██████████████
Prince Victor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:49 AM   #138
vid

Nice? It scares the shit out of me. It's a future shop buried in a parkade covered in lights! There is nothing nice about it! It's hideous! It's a blight! I don't think even Thunder Bay would approve this (unless, of course, it was two storeys tall, made of wood, and located in Hymers).
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM   #139
softee

I'm going to start calling it "North Bay Life Square"! haha
Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM   #140
Danny D

I propose "The Beacon" since it is probably the brightest thing in North Bay. What would have made it better would to have completely incircled the parkade with those 2 bands of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The historic Bank of Commerce building has been saved!! Habib Architects purchased the building today, and will save the façade!! The burned out portion of the building will be demolished and the façade will remain standing at the site, pending a future project.

TBSource story | My blog

The off-leash dog park opened today.

For more, see the SSP NorOnt thread.
I seriously want to tell Habib to do something useful with that building other than some random 2 story office "Tower" that i know its going to turn into.