daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #61
alexanderxu0707

Likes (Received): 4

[QUOTE=New York Yankee]How do you think about it?

1 WTC / Freedom Tower, 1776FT
2 WTC (Foster), 1350 FT
3 WTC (Rogers), 1255 FT
4 WTC (Maki), 946 FT
7 WTC (Childs), 750 FT

foolish!!!
why use "feet"???
here is not usa or uk!!!so u should use meter!!!
the unit "feet"should be eliminated from the world!!!
alexanderxu0707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #62
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

hey, guess what, use your calculator. every computer has one 1m = 3.28 ft
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #63
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderxu0707
How do you think about it?

1 WTC / Freedom Tower, 1776FT
2 WTC (Foster), 1350 FT
3 WTC (Rogers), 1255 FT
4 WTC (Maki), 946 FT
7 WTC (Childs), 750 FT

foolish!!!
why use "feet"???
here is not usa or uk!!!so u should use meter!!!
the unit "feet"should be eliminated from the world!!!
This is an international forum, and 'Feet' is an international mark. So we use feet.
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #64
alexanderxu0707

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Yankee
This is an international forum, and 'Feet' is an international mark. So we use feet.
just make a fun.
since this is an international forum, and i do not think 'feet' is an international mark, so we shoul not use feet.
and i also think except the people in usa/uk and some colony of theirs,no one know the length of 'feet'.
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #65
european

Likes (Received): 25

Wow great towerS, i hope the construction starts ASAP.
NY looks even much better now with all those towers.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #66
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
WOW! Very beautiful designs. The new World Trade Center will re-freshen the Lower Manhattan skyline. Is this design worth compromising over the rebuilding of the Twin Towers? What do you think?
Good question. To be honest, i'm a bit out of the swim, and didn't realise Rogers and Foster were on board for this. I'm pleasantly surprised by what's on offer and, looking back at Liebeskind's original concept, I must say i prefer what we have now.

The Freedom tower could be a little more 'iconic' though. I mean, this is New York City we're talking about.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #67
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Am from the England but prefer Meters to feet when talking about buildings. If its someones height i'll use feet and when Driving mph. They all give me a sense of scale of different objects and areas.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #68
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12342

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=711

Quote:
Almost five years after the original events of September the 11th demolished most of the World Trade Centre complex in New York, eagerly awaited plans have been finally released for three of the neighbouring buildings to the now under construction Freedom Tower designed by a trio of the world's top architects just in time for the fifth anniversary of the original disaster.
It's only been in the previous few months that work has finally ratcheted up on the Freedom Tower into something substantial on-site. The project is now about to take another major leap forwards that now leaves only the Tower 5 plot of the World Trade Centre with a publicly unannounced design.
Leading the pack are Foster and Partners with the 382 metre / 1254 feet tall 78 floor 200 Greenwich Street. The basement level is to be linked to the WTC Transit hub and provide 3500 square metres of retail. This continues over the lower floors which will contain 9,000 square metres of retail above street level with offices only starting 177 metres up the tower. Beginning with an office lobby of 20 metres, this commercial area will total about 213,000 square metres with a typical floor-size of 3,344 square metres. There will also be four huge trading floors of 5000 square metres.
Resembling a cruciate and designed to represent a diamond, the top inclines to provide a visual marker with the nearby memorial site. The crystalline form has indentations running up all four sides of it providing a visual break up of what would otherwise be sheer uninterrupted surfaces.
The sloping roof is topped by an 80 feet / 24.3 metre tall spire but even without this the building is taller than the Empire State Building making it the second tallest in New York.
Richard Rogers has planned 175 Greenwich Street on the site next door to 200 Greenwich Street. The 71 floor building will reach 352 metres / 1155 feet above ground level and when finished will be New York's fifth tallest. The 200,000 square feet of offices will be contained on 54 floors plus 5 trading floors whilst the ground floor and two storeys either side will contain retail.
Set at in almost square dimensions of 61 x 60 metres, it features typical Rogers design with diamond shaped cross bracing and the visual expression of the structure that provide integrity to the building whilst allowing the corners to be free of columns and creating a 360 degree view.
The third building has been worked on by Maki and Associates, the only non Brit in the pack. This 61 floor tower will be 287 metres / 947 feet high. The 53 floors of offices within will have 170,000 square metres of space whilst once more the ground floor, two floors below and three floors above, will have retail.
Unlike the previous buildings this one already has an anchor tenant in the form of the Port of New York Authority who plan on taking two thirds of the office space within the building.
The lower floors are set out in a parallelogram that then steps back into a trapezoid on the top 20 levels and orientated to face the Freedom Tower.
This building is drawn in complete contrast to the other two with a simple minimalist form. Clad in clear double-skinned glass that surrounds a perforated mesh metal pattern the idea is that the effect of light will be diffuse on the surface creating a light airy structure that reacts positively with light no matter what the time of day.
Stepping down progressively from the Freedom Tower to the Foster one, through to Rogers and finally to Maki, all three of the new buildings are arranged around the eastern boundary of the site overlooking the planned memorial park.
These 150 and 175 Greenwich Street are both scheduled for a 2007 construction although there is yet to be a firm date on when the tallest, 200 Greenwich Street, will begin. Developer, Silverstein Properties, plans on having all three of these newly announced buildings finished for occupation by 2012.

gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #69
CroyDan

Likes (Received): 40

Tower 2 looks the best to me. Can't helping thinking though as there are four major skyscrapers there, maybe two sets of twins should be made instead......one set the height of Tower 1 and the second set the height of Tower 3. That would look pretty cool too me!
CroyDan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #70
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 10

Fantastic news! I really like the design of the new towers, and the heights are impressive too. I <3 NY
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #71
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderxu0707
just make a fun.
since this is an international forum, and i do not think 'feet' is an international mark, so we shoul not use feet.
and i also think except the people in usa/uk and some colony of theirs,no one know the length of 'feet'.
I am from the UK and I MUCH prefer to use meters. Here:

1 WTC / Freedom Tower, 541m
2 WTC (Foster), 408m (to spire) 382m (to roof)
3 WTC (Rogers), 382m (to spire) 352m (to roof)
4 WTC (Maki), 288m
7 WTC (Childs), 228m
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #72
alexanderxu0707

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticaC5
Fantastic news! I really like the design of the new towers, and the heights are impressive too. I <3 NY
in my opinion i have to say the new wtc is too mediocre ,compared with the buidilings in london or hongkong.i think the london city is so perfect,both the old and the mordern buildings.
by the way,i come from shanghai,and my english is very poor.if annoyed everyone,i would say sorry.
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #73
lokinyc
chek ur hed

Likes (Received): 3

don't worry about your English, i'm sure it's better than our Chinese. I disagree with you. These buildings are comparable to anything in Hong Kong, especially the Foster beauty. The Rogers tower will make a nice compliment to the new NYTimes Tower uptown.
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #74
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Likes (Received): 81

Personally I think the designs are great and I don't envy the architects who had to design them as opinions were obviously going to be very divided and it was always going to be tough to please everybody as they weren't designing buildings for any old site. I think it's a good outcome and with time they will be accepted and appreciated more than they are in their current form as renders. As good as renders can be they don't really allow you to experience the moment(s), ascending up the escalators of Calatrava's transport hub emerging into this large open space standing at the feet of these towers, looking up, just taking in the sight, the sounds, the breeze, the activity around the site, something I look forward to experiencing when they are completed. To me the renders give this impression of the towers acting as 'guardians' surrounding and overlooking the memorial almost 'protecting' it in a way. I also think everyone should keep in mind that the Twins weren't universally loved when they were first completed but eventually found a way into the hearts of New Yorkers. Nothing could ever replace the original WTC but I think these towers will eventually be accepted.
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #75
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalDiablo
damn nygirl, that is one awesome pic of the skyline

Worrrrrrrd? Sukkadik!

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #76
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Fosters tower really looks good, will fit the skyline very well. Alltogather this is a good design, though i am not satisfied with Freedom tower and Rogers tower.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #77
(E.G.O.S.)®

Likes (Received): 16

Wow! All these buildings look great!! Great design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Yankee
How do you think about it?

Just a dumb question, what are the 2 "pools" (squares) that are in the pictures??? I don't remember to have seen them before.

Last edited by (E.G.O.S.)®; September 8th, 2006 at 09:51 PM.
(E.G.O.S.)® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #78
(E.G.O.S.)®

Likes (Received): 16

Is that where the Twin Towers were standing???
(E.G.O.S.)® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #79
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

The two squares or "pools" are the footprints of the former twin towers.The squares should visitors in the future show where the towers stood.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #80
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Does anyone know if this is the new spire? They said it would be larger.

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote