daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #121
jrawle
Always the Same

Likes (Received): 77

Perhaps before calling for more cohesion between the towers forming this project, we should remember why the original had just two towers:

Quote:
After studying more than one hundred schemes in model form, Yamasaki decided on a two-tower development to contain the nine million square feet of office space. One tower became unreasonable in size and unwieldy structurally, yet several towers became too approximate for their size and 'looked too much like a housing project'; whereas two towers gave a reasonable office area on each floor, took advantage of the magnificent views, and allowed a manageable structural system.
If the four new towers looked similar, might we not end up with Minoru Yamasaki's "housing project"?
jrawle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #122
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Thought you guys might find this interesting, The building that Minoru designed the twin towers was recently demolished here in Troy to make room for a hotel expansion, It had the same outside as the towers.
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #123
Zissou
Experienced Frogman

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
This Wuss Trade Center is nothing but an ilegitmate replacement for the original World Trade Center. Governor George Pataki never liked the Twins from the start, and used the attacks of 9/11 more as a way to make sure it never existed by forming the Lower Manhattan Developement Corperation (LMDC). IMO, the Fraudem (or Folly) Tower along with the newly designed buildings are more like monuments to each of the main members of Al Qadea starting with the FT being for Osama Bin Laden. I am not fooled by any of these desings nor do I have the delusions for them.
Im absolutely blown away by these comments. The Bin Laden comment is absolutely rediculous.

I personally like the plan. I think all the buildings have similar elements and it looks like they will have the same color of glass. IMO thats all the continuity you really need. Two buildings being the same or looking the same would look good but four? Im not sure that would be a great look, plus with the World Financial Center right next door and all those buildings looking very similar, it would create a bland spot in the skyline. I like the varying styles and varying heights and I think it adds to the skyline more than the previous designs.
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #124
wallh

Likes (Received): 5

Amazing!!! I wanna be in NYC!!1
wallh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #125
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

TalB I (like many, and unlike many) believe the buildings are so miniscule when considering what really took place and lost lives. It always troubles me the audacity some people have to complain about buildings lost that were made of concrete and glass and steal.. I bet to some of the families they feel the same thing about a loved one they can get back just the same way they were at 8:47 am that day.
Imagine Cantor Fitzgerald families.. So many of the employees died. The Ceo was a wreck on CNN. This is the employer.. there was alot more to 9/11 than buildings and that should always be taken into consideration when speaking about the trade centers, the events that took place, and the efforts to reinvent that parcel of land.
It only really occurs now how selfish some of you are when bringing this up. You realize that we are lucky enough to build what we are building now.
Some of you are crying over buildings. The discussions you wtc rebuilding crybabies envoke in one another is so pathetic. We've been waiting for so long for an answer to what will be built there and we finally got it. Some of us will be waiting for something a whole lot more than that. While some of you are getting what you've been waiting for (or technically not) others of us will be waiting a whole lot longer for what we desire.
The Bin Laden statement is way over the top for you. I know how irrational I can be but I think I've made my point. Shame on you.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #126
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

I just think the financial and developing aspect just screwed up everything. Even now, like I said, I would LOVE these towers to be in the city, but after the WTC, I'll take a rain check on these.

Can someone tell me now what symbolic significance the 3 other towers have? I was trying to figure something out for the diamond shaped one which I like, but I can't, and the others I won't even try b/c they look so generic despite being good additions to the skyline. This is when an aggressive guy like sorry to say the T word, Trump, would have been a great guy to push and sell this thing even if he were marketing himself off it.

I understand the rent aspect of it, which does suck, I don't know how to solve that, at the same time, that's a weak reason it seems to dilute this project.

We are getting something, but we should just acknowledge that the symbolic aspect and getting something that commemorated the disaster and power of the WTCs stops at the memorial.

I think I can safely say that many visitors to NYC will know what the FT is, but have no idea whatsover that the other three are a part of the deal.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:38 AM   #127
Zissou
Experienced Frogman

Why do all of the buildings need to be symbolic? There will be a fantastic memorial, and the Freedom Tower which will both be symbolic to what happened there. There other buildings are just interesting structures and I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

I saw a picture of Building 2 that showed the top sort of representing the footprints of the original towers but to me it seemed like a stretch.
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #128
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 814

I like the overall site planning approach, and the towers seem better than previous proposals, but is there the demand for office space in Lower Manhatten that previously existed? Would a mix of uses including residentials make more sense today?

Also, I would imagine that emulating the former WTC in terms of office floor height and icon factor may not be too attractive to potential tenants for the upper floor offices or for insurers. Have the upper floors been prelet, and are insurers on board?
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #129
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou
Why do all of the buildings need to be symbolic? There will be a fantastic memorial, and the Freedom Tower which will both be symbolic to what happened there. There other buildings are just interesting structures and I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

I saw a picture of Building 2 that showed the top sort of representing the footprints of the original towers but to me it seemed like a stretch.

Spoken by someone who probably doesn't have much sentimental value for the original WTC. They don't have to be symbolic, but it sure helps. The original WTC were amazing structures, and since they're not there, it's only natural to want something at least close to as good, and IMO this isn't. I personally don't think the other structures are all that interesting either. The original towers were SO imposing, probably a couple of the most imposing skyscrapers anywhere, and these look so pedestrian in comparison. Replacing them was a hard task in itself and I understand that. Demand for space is an understandable concern IMO.

So in short, no, they don't have to be symbolic, but there are plenty of other opportunities available to build "interesting structures", I felt this should be different, but basically it's clear that there's a difference in opinion of what kind of structure and what kind of significance ground zero should have.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #130
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 357

I think these new renders are excellent. Not only do they symbolize that NYC has moved on in a thoroughly modern way, they closely recreate the original skyline of NYC. Any more closer had it gotten to having two similar looking twin towers or even replicas of the original twin towers, it would have reminded people about the tragedy that occured in daily life every single day - which would have been a victory for the terrorists. Even though the new designs honor and respect the memory of the victims of 911, they thoroughly represent that NYC has moved on and become even more shinier than before. Excellent designs!
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #131
IsaganiZenze
...geologist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola

I love this render the most! I can't stop drooling. Maki's tower looks great in this one... the roof is slanted for some reason, and it makes all the difference in the world. I hope this is what gets constructed.
i think that's just the angle of the render, and how the building retreats (depth)...anywho, i love the 3 new towers. I still don't know how i feel about the Calatrava station...it feels out of place.... it's kinda like they just went like: "hmmm, calatrava, he's famous we should just make him design something and put it there" Anywho, also for the F tower..i don't know...i would have thought they would have updated it...it's kinda blah.... well hopefully this pushses through.
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #132
OhioTodd

Likes (Received): 67

I think these buildings are going to look great. The only real criticism I have regards the spire/antennae/whateveritis on the top of the Freedom Tower(still do not like it..as someone said it does look like a rattail LOL). Also since they are being built in the USA I have no problem with the height being stated in feet..and with that..the 4 towers together will be over A MILE in height..4 buildings together that will together be over one mile high. Incredible! Congrats to the great city of New York!
OhioTodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #133
Xander

Likes (Received): 3

yeah congrats NYC, the whole project is utterly stunning.

ニョキニョキと広くて青い空に延ばしている摩天楼...........

My threads:
Taiwan: 1 2 3; Malaysia; Singapore; Indonesia- 1 2 3; Toronto: 1 2
Xander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #134
Chrysler Building
Werder Bremen

Likes (Received): 1

CL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
yeah congrats NYC, the whole project is utterly stunning.
See you tonite at Stamford Bridge !!!
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #135
mtb_nz
Wellington user

Likes (Received): 8

wow what an awesome project... just amazing
mtb_nz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #136
Zissou
Experienced Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine
Spoken by someone who probably doesn't have much sentimental value for the original WTC. They don't have to be symbolic, but it sure helps.
I really liked the original towers and I happen to be a big fan of the architect, Minuru Yamasaki. And all the new towers being symbolic helps what? You have a large park and memorial in the middle of downtown and the nations tallest building going up for the people who lost their lives there. The three other towers dont have to be symbolic with everything else they are already doing there.

When looking at this project people shouldnt compare it to what was there, because they will never be satisfied. The twins falling left a void that will never be filled, because of what they meant, and how they were designed. Instead look at this as a development, one that would be recieving great accolades by EVERYONE if it wasnt replacing two of America's most iconic buildings ever. Just because these towers arent as imposing doesnt mean they arent designed well and wont look good on the site. I just wish people would start looking at these structures as additions to Manhattan rather than replacements for the twins. It's not fair to the designs or designers.
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #137
Van der Rohe
mies fan

Likes (Received): 224

VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTING... :-(

looks like each of those interesting buildings (but far, far weaker than projects like Burj Dubai or Fordham Spire) seems to depreciate all the others. It's like mixing a tasty steak with a great cake - they won't taste well when mixed together.

I think NY should choose only ONE architect, to make the design strong and clear. Libeskind's tower is not bad - maybe it should be doubled? I think NY needs two identical or very similar towers - it was and should again be the symbol of NY.
Van der Rohe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #138
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 111

I have a question for You.

What abaut "5 WTC"? Isn`t there a place for another skyscraper in the South of Ground Zero? And wouldn`t it be a fine place for another 400+m tower?
Does anybody know something about a 5 WTC?
jet2sp@ce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #139
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The video rendering of the towers has been put up on www.wtc.com It's great.

http://wtc.com/popups/hm_movies.aspx?movieId=17
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #140
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Awesome video, these buildings will fit in very nicely!
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote