daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old December 4th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #3701
js1000

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Not liking the look of the crumbly concrete in conjunction with the rest of the décor. Noticed that with the pillars walking past today...
My thoughts exactly. All that money spent and the crumbly-coffered concrete ceiling pretty much ruins it.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 4th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3702
neil081273

Likes (Received): 136

The new Costa at The Avenue North.

Neighbourhood.

neil081273 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3703
neil081273

Formerly Vertigo on John Dalton Street

Old December 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3704
neil081273

Albert Square Chophouse.

Old December 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3705
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 87

Thanks for all the pics Neil.

Has anyone got a shot of the new Annie's restaraunt yet?
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3706
neil081273

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop

Your welcome Marky. Will try to get a pic of Annie's tomorrow morning on the way to work.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3707
neil081273

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop

Annie's.

Old December 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3708
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 87

Cheers Neil
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3709
manc

Likes (Received): 19

Dock Bar at MediaCity has added a bunch of extra shipping containers- and is being fitted out as 'Dock Lounge'.

Let's hope an indoor venue is a tad more successful than the outdoor one.
manc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3710
boyaloud

Likes (Received): 9

Gutted the Costa isn't a London-style Metro store! Here's hoping the one at Ancoats or more likely, Princess St, is!
boyaloud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3711
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Recent openings in South Manchester:

Namche Bazzar, Nepalese, Burton Road, West Didsbury
Hi Macc, is this a simple re-branding of the Great Kathmandu under the same ownership? I wouldn't be surprised given how low the rep of the Great Kathmandu has gone in recent years
Slow Burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #3712
GShutty

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Burn View Post
Hi Macc, is this a simple re-branding of the Great Kathmandu under the same ownership? I wouldn't be surprised given how low the rep of the Great Kathmandu has gone in recent years
It's an addition to the Great Kathmandu, under the same ownership. I'm so overdue a curry there!
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3713
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Anyone been to Avalanche yet? Can I take my family without getting financially turned over?
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #3714
macc

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Burn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post
It's an addition to the Great Kathmandu, under the same ownership. I'm so overdue a curry there!

Yeah it's all family members. I think the father runs Great Khatmandu (plus at least one other in Rusholme but I don't know the name), and the daughter runs Namaste Napal and this new one I think. I vaguely remember reading something about the new place being tapas, Nepalese style i.e. small dishes.

The new place looks nice and I've not tried it yet but I haven't got particularly high hopes. They open multiple restaurants which appear to have no links with each other but in actual fact are just becoming their own competition. This might work for the owners but it's is not a good way to ensure high standards.

I'll give it a try though.
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3715
flange

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil081273 View Post
New to Spinningfields. In the old Illy Cafe.

Looks like House is just a pop up for now at The Avenue.

Quote:
OUR STORY

House is a new independent, pop up business soon to launch in Manchester's Spinningfields.

We are here to provide an eclectic alternative to lunchtime offerings by providing a range of homemade soups, stews & hot-pots all served with our special artisan breads.

Our lunchtime menu changes daily with fresh, locally produced, seasonal ingredients.

We 're huge fans of cream teas & we love a glass of wine as much as the next person. So with this in mind, join us after the working day is done and unwind with one of our tasting boards, either bread, cheese or meat!

"Be quick, we're not going to be around for long! We have agreed a 6 month stay at our new home, but don't worry, we're planning our next venue in the background!"
http://www.housemcr.com/#!ourstory/csgz
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3716
flange

Likes (Received): 577

2013 proving to be even more exciting for restaurants in Manchester again.

Quote:
Michelin-starred chef Simon Rogan to take over restaurants at Midland Hotel Manchester

Kerstin Kühn

Monday 10 December 2012 14:51

Two-Michelin-starred chef Simon Rogan is to take over the management of two restaurants at the Midland Hotel in Manchester.

The chef-proprietor of L’Enclume in Cartmel, Cumbria, and Roganic in London, will take over the running of the former Michelin-starred French restaurant as well as the hotel’s second, larger bar and dining room, which is currently called the Colony.

Rogan’s appointment coincides with a Ł400,000 investment taking place at the Midland Hotel. This will include a complete refurbishment of the 50-seat French, which will close in January and reopen late in February. The modern revamp will incorporate the Grade-II listed room’s historic features.

At the French, Rogan will serve his renowned L’Enclume-style cuisine focused on British only ingredients. The second, larger restaurant, which is yet-to-be-named, will seat around 150 diners and offer a more casual menu not exclusively based on British ingredients.

Commenting on his appointment, Rogan said: “Since getting the second Michelin star, we have had numerous UK-wide opportunities for our next restaurant sites. I have loved Manchester – it’s like being in London, but on a smaller scale. It’s trendy, dynamic, but very accessible and friendly. Overall, the Manchester dining scene has been quite casual and bar-driven, but this is a great opportunity to set the trend for luxury dining, and the city is definitely ready for it.”

Michael Purtill, managing director of Q Hotels, owner of the Midland Hotel, added: “Simon is a culinary genius and we’re really proud to be associated with one of the UK’s finest chefs. This partnership marks a new chapter for the hotel, in particular the French, in modernising our offering within the city.”

Rogan, who also runs Rogan & Co in Cartmel, as well as the Pig & Whistle pub, will continue to be based in Cumbria and is in the process of putting together a brigade to oversee the day-to-day running of the operations at the Midland Hotel.

The French was one of Britain’s first Michelin-starred restaurants back in the 1970s, when Michelin relaunched its UK guide in 1974.

“There is huge affection for the Midland hotel in Manchester and I want to help bring its restaurants back to their former glory. It’s a wonderful challenge,” Rogan said.

L’Enclume gained its second Michelin star in the 2013 guide to Great Britain and Ireland, which was published in October. The restaurant also scored a perfect 10/10 in the latest Good Food Guide, ranking it top in the UK together with Heston Blumenthal’s Fat Duck.
http://www.caterersearch.com/Article...manchester.htm
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3717
macc

Likes (Received): 20

Great spot Flange. ManCon had mentioned they'd heard it in conversation a few days ago. Good to see it confirmed.

Very interesting.
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3718
WingTips

Likes (Received): 100

I have already given this a mention on the MCUK thread but feel its note worthy on here too...

DOCKBAR DROPS ANCHOR AT MEDIACITYUK FOR WINTER

SALFORD’s only bar in a shipping container is back for the winter complete with a chic ski-lodge style lounge that’s perfect for enjoying a hot cocktail after work as the world goes by.

As the site’s first drinking den, DockBar, won a place in the hearts of the residents and media professionals who work on the site as they enjoyed the Summer Of Sport from it’s deck chairs. Re-opening on Friday 7 December, the bar has been increased in size with the introduction of a chic ski-lodge style lounge built using three additional shipping containers.

The cosy new lounge which can comfortably accommodate 75 people and a DJ has a 24 hour license and is available for hire for private parties or events.

Open Monday to Friday from 8.30am ‘til late and from 10am at the weekend the bar will serve a variety of hot and cold cocktails from it’s unique winter themed list created exclusively by Fluid Bars, along with a wide selection of wines, beers and soft drinks.

The bar will again be staffed by the same great team including Jamie Stephenson, Max Laurence, Matt Short, Martin Taylor and Sam Tunstall. Six times UK Bartender of the Year and four times World Bartender Champion, Jamie was described by Polly Vernon as “Possibly the best cocktail maker in the universe!”

The bar will host a calendar of events throughout December including:

Carol Singers: DockBar will host local carol singers every Wednesday and Saturday afternoon from 3pm.

Advent Calendar: Starting Monday 10 December right through ‘til 24 December every day at 3pm DockBar will announce a festive themed offer of the day, e.g. in the form of a competition or cocktail of the day.

Victorian Market: In conjunction with the Victorian Market taking place at the Lowry Outlet DockBar will offer a Victorian themed drink of the day plus a Victorian game of the day for customers to play eg. Hoola Hoops, marbles, skipping ropes, hopscotch.

Happy Hour: Every Friday between 4pm and 7pm with a DJ playing a mix of Christmas party tunes and soul funk classics.

Christmas Quiz – DockBar will offer a fun, festive themed quiz with a fantastic yet to be announced prize.

Winter Ale Taster and cocktail taster evenings – DockBar will provide an informal evening with a selection of speciality drinks to try.

DockBar Christmas Party with DJ - Dock will host its own Christmas party with special offers and more.

James Wrigley, managing director of Fluid Bars, comments:

“DockBar was a great place to be this summer, the atmosphere was fantastic on the piazza as the people of Salford cheered on Team GB. Now it’s time for a slightly different type of party as we chilled out this winter. DockBar’s new lounge will have a chic ski-lodge vibe with comfy sofas, a roaring log fire and an unbeatable cocktail list.”

http://www.mediacityuk.co.uk
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3719
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Went passed Dockbar on the weekend, no one using it, cannot imagine anyone will either.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #3720
NQ Lee

Likes (Received): 72

The opening times are better, or at least definite this time round. During the summer I would roll up there during a hot sunny day and the place would be closed. However, on colder days during rain it would be open. Could never work it out.

I have to admit that the activities list sounds utterly ridiculous. Most people are really not interested in chic ski lodges or games days where you can play hopscotch. They are also not interested in getting served by the six times uk barman of the year(guff, guff, guff). If he was really that decent then why has he ended up inside a container for the winter months, in the middle of Salford.
NQ Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester, public houses, pubs