daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old May 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #41
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 95

Pub Pic Taken 17MAY07

markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #42
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

Somehow that last picture makes me glad I quit....
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #43
skit_uk
Towerholic

Likes (Received): 5

Bet you got a few odd looks taking that photo.

Raises an interesting point though. Will there be enough ashtrays outside or are we going to end up with streets awash with butts?
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #44
uklad1979

Likes (Received): 77

A new bar is due to open next to Nosh on Shudehill across from the new Crowne Plaza being built.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #45
flange

Likes (Received): 644

Two pieces of news to report

First off about the empty restaurant in Urbis

Quote:
Cloud 5/6 and nice togs

A word or two from senior Urbis sources ('people close to the deal' as the FT has it) is that the old Le Mont restaurant - famous for being the highest restaurant in the UK to have no views -will be re-launching towards the end of the year as a ‘bar/ eatery’ aimed at a broader audience. There is a name but Urbis are not letting on about it for a couple of months ‘to see if they like it’. Presumably the name won’t be Kisby’s after the former head chef known for his er…combative…style. Kisby left under a cloud at least 23 stories high and then sued his former employers at the Council. And finally it has been confirmed that London Fashion Weekend will be taking over the entirety of Urbis in the first weekend in October. Again no name as yet.
And secondly the new Bar and Restaurants in Spinningfields

Quote:
The Blue Danube

Sleuth was intrigued by the restaurants due to open on 20 June at Spinningfields in the new public spaces down by the blue, salmon-heavy waters of River Rollingtyre aka the Irwell. The restaurants are Zizzi, GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen), Ha!Ha! and Café Rouge. When Sleuth asked a friend from Oldham now living in Leeds, which has branch of Ha!Ha!, what the restaurant was like, the friend said. “Well, it does a bit of everything really. Only been once but it’s pale, with bits of wood and the odd bright colour. You know what it reminds me of to look at, Ho Ho’s, that Chinese restaurant, in Leeds near my mums.” Sleuth had to think about that for a minute. Finally he said, “So you’re saying Ha!Ha! is like Ho Ho’s?” Sleuth paused, “Are you having a laugh?”
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #46
markydeedrop

New Pics 28MAY07

Pitcher and Piano

The Britons Protection
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM   #47
flange

Likes (Received): 644

Quote:
The epic of Ithaca draws to a close

Finally, at last, eventually, the only bar to take on the Roman Catholic Church is set to open. Ithaca on John Dalton Street, which was in dispute over licensing hours with priest and neighbour Canon Clinch (with that name it’s a shame the Inquisition was disbanded) opens in July. Arnie Hira, owner of the bar, which has cost the unbelievable amount of £4m to prepare, told Sleuth, “Ithaca has been a long time in the planning and a lot of investment has taken place because I wanted the best of everything.” A long time? Too bloody right. Hira previously owned the ill-fated Odyssey in Altrincham, the whitest bar in the world and the only one to give Sleuth snow-blindness. Ithaca? Odyssey? Sleuth, an occasional classical scholar detects a theme. Odysseus lived on Ithaca and after the Trojan War it took him ten years, to get back home. Given the saga over the opening of this bar it seems Arnie’s taken things a bit literally.
so we finally have a possible opening for this bar thathas taken so long to come around
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM   #48
GShutty

Likes (Received): 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by uklad1979 View Post
A new bar is due to open next to Nosh on Shudehill across from the new Crowne Plaza being built.
I noticed an application for a license had gone in, though i've been told it's for an Off License that's opening- (that's not 100% though) I'm not sure how necessary this will be given the proximity of Spar and Costcutter for the masses. Hopefully they will sell more particular, niche wines beers and spirits.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM   #49
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 49

it seems Soup Kitchen in the northern quarter are opening in the evening now with a special menu, I went past tonight and it was looking rather fancy inside, decked with red out curtains. Think I might go next week sometime.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #50
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Can I reccomend...

Cafe Casbah on Withy Grove. That rareset of breed - a genuine indepdendent patisserie shop. Great looking cakes and sandwiches and they also do a large selection of 'event' cakes made to order.

With the decimation of a string of independent cafes on Deansgate (due to the purchase of the Barton Arcade by MCR group and resultant rent hike) its all the more important to support good quality independent operators like this.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #51
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne View Post
Cafe Casbah on Withy Grove. That rareset of breed - a genuine indepdendent patisserie shop. Great looking cakes and sandwiches and they also do a large selection of 'event' cakes made to order.

With the decimation of a string of independent cafes on Deansgate (due to the purchase of the Barton Arcade by MCR group and resultant rent hike) its all the more important to support good quality independent operators like this.
Thanks for that sleeps, i've actually been looking for a new independant cafe/bakery joint to try, i've been eating at a chinatown bakery (wong wong's?) on princess st, but i'm getting a bit sick of it now. I'll give Casbah a wirl.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #52
manc_monkey

Likes (Received): 1

Umami

A hidden Gem in Manchester foodland.

Umami Noodle Restaurant- on Oxford Road - near the Aquatics Centre. In a basement below Subway and a flight booking shop.

Top notch food! Think as good as Tampopo (maybe better) - but never a problem getting a table. A true hidden gem of a Restaurant.

Pictures from Sugarvine - http://www.sugarvine.com/manchester/...staurant=39408

manc_monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #53
markydeedrop

New Pics

Last edited by markydeedrop; June 10th, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #54
Toadstone
No Fixed Abode

Likes (Received): 0

Marky your pics are brilliant IMHO. Colour balance, contrast and clarity. Please put me out of my misery and tell me what camera you are using.
Oh yes and composition too.
Toadstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #55
markydeedrop

Hi Toady,

I'm using a Sony Cyber-shot DSC N2 at the moment. I'm very happy with it and it does seem to turn out some good shots. If you want a quick shufty at the specs then have a look at this article:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyN2/
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #56
Architecty
Still Lurking

Likes (Received): 10

What’s the current situation with the Britons Protection? Does the owner still want to pull it to develop the surrounding land?
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #57
Toadstone
No Fixed Abode

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks Marky, I'm in the process of evaluating some cameras, for architectural use. I will reveal all in the near future here under the appropriate thread.

I'm no architect or developer but is it not feasible to incorporate an existing building such as the Britons Protection into a new development, so that it remains individual within the whole? We loose so many quirky buildings like this only to find the the new development replicates in part what was there before. If we can have fusion food why not fusion buildings? OK not a good idea.
Toadstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #58
Architecty
Still Lurking

Likes (Received): 10

I think the problem is how the existing buildings sits on the small parcel of land that is available araound it, leaves only small slivers either side. Its not about what is or isnt possible, its about financial realities of how much space is needed to make developing on the land around make money. I understand land oweners and developers need to make a profit, but dropping that pub would be a crime. Anyway I have no idea what the current situation is, anyone have a clue?
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #59
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

For a start its a listed building and for a second the whole story was a load of bullshit. Some developer was exploring some options and one of the many options was demolishing or moving it. The developer then realised what a fucking stupid idea it was and went about their normal business (ie stamping on fluffy kittens and eating babies). Something out of nothing.
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #60
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Brilliant. I like the Briton's Protection. A guy in work who was at uni in Mcr told me it gets its curious name from its history as an army recruiting inn. Is this true?

I always have a pint there when work takes me to Manchester. Am I imagining this, but was Pevril of the Peak threatened at one point also? That one's good too.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester, public houses, pubs