daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old July 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #101
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
Just out of interest Longford, when do you think the facade dates from? 70s sounds much more likely than 50s to me.
I cant say ive given much thought to be honest but my general impression is more 50s than 70s but i may be wrong - i usually am. I'll take another look and i'll know for sure.

Edit

Definetly not 70s in my educated opinion. Lates 50s early 60s almost certainly.
What do you think nerd?

Interesting caption with that picture. Part of a CPO survey for a new Police hq in 1973. Mean anything to you nerd?
http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/...&QueryPage=%2F

Last edited by The Longford; July 11th, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
The Longford no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 12th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #102
nerd

Likes (Received): 267

The Gazetteer entry in the guide credits "Sarah McGrath". Maybe she is a chum of yours, and you could ask her for further details? She also compiled the entries for the Apollo and Odeon.

I agree that the facade does not at all look 1970s - and certainly does not appear brand new in the 1973 photo. The former window detailing would suggest late 50s to me - while the ground floor, I think, is from the 1924 conversion.

I know nothing of an attempt to rebuild the Central Manchester Police HQ, but it would have been logical to want to serve serve a compulsory purchase order on this site, in order to get contractor vehicular access to Bootle Street.
nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #103
nerd

this is it in 1956

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #104
skit_uk
Towerholic

Likes (Received): 5

So have they removed the original front? It looks like it because the frontage sticks out the same amount from the buidling to the right before and after. Such a shame. It looks so much nicer before especially with the iron canopy
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #105
nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by skit_uk View Post
So have they removed the original front? It looks like it because the frontage sticks out the same amount from the buidling to the right before and after. Such a shame. It looks so much nicer before especially with the iron canopy
original front was unsafe (most of it was false above the level of the first floor windows). Taken down and replaced by blank brick.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #106
Cosmo Disney
The Pitchfork Cavalier

Likes (Received): 0

Well, false or not it looked an awful lot better than what's there now.
Cosmo Disney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #107
skit_uk
Towerholic

How hard would it be to create that frontage from new? Or would that be considered kitch?
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #108
nerd

had another look in passing today

I think the frontage may have been rebuilt since the 1970s. There are now quoin slabs set into the corners - which I cannot see in the archive photo; and the window surrounds are different. I suspect that the replacement facade may itslelf have had problems - and been replaced to the same, ghastly, design.

I am, however, more worried at the current ongoing refit - which could easily result in the loss of the surviving original (or early 20th century) features.
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #109
macc

Likes (Received): 20

I read mumblings of the possiblilty of a 3rd Odd bar.

Together with the previous mumblings of a 3rd Trof, and both so soon after their 2nd establishments opened, they're certinly doing something right. I think those are four of the best bars in the city and its good to see these places prospering. I just hope that if they do expand, they stay in Manchester (they're my toys and i don't want to share them).
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #110
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2506

Cotton House closed over rent row
John Scheerhout
13/ 7/2007

ONE of Manchester's trendiest nightspots - The Cotton House - was closed last night in a row over a £26,000 rent debt.

Since it opened in 2004, the exclusive Ducie Street venue, in a basement under The Place hotel, has become popular with celebrities.

It has attracted the likes of Ray Winstone, Anastasia, Cat Deeley and Graham Norton, as well as Premiership footballers and top bands.

But the club, which includes a restaurant and bar, is said to have had a `tough summer'.

Bailiffs acting on behalf of the landlord moved in to repossess the property.

The landlord, Opal Property Group, said the venue had failed to act on a number of `legal reminders'.

The move happened as the owners of the business, Paul and Ann Wharton, are away on holiday in Turkey.

Julius Drumer, a director of the nightclub, confirmed £26,000 was owed in rent, some £8,000 due for the last couple of months and nearly £18,000 of it advance rent until September.

"This is a complete shock," he said. "We've spent £600,000 on the property, doing it up. We spent money making it beautiful and they have claimed it and changed the locks.

"I think it's disgraceful. We told the bailiffs we could get £10,000 pretty quickly, but the landlord wasn't interested and they closed the place."

A statement from the Opal Property Group said: "We have regrettably been forced to take the appropriate legal action, which ultimately resulted in the closure.

"We hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible."
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #111
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2506

According to taste

Jonathan Schofield introduces the shortlist for Manchester Food and Drink Festival Awards

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co...rding_to_taste
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #112
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 94

New Pics 28July

markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #113
markydeedrop

New Pics 04Aug

Inside Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #114
flange

Likes (Received): 643

Thanks for the photo marky haha looks good, looks completly different to the other haha bars i have seen maybe they are trying out a new look or concept in manchester, is it open yet or is it still getting finishing touches to it, as i heard it was getting an early August opening
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #115
markydeedrop

Ha Ha is not open yet, although the fit out is nearly complete.
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #116
Liam-Manchester

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop View Post
That group of people don't look too happy at being photographed! They look like possible chavs- why do they take offense to everything possible??? If there's one massive problem with Manchester it's the huge chav infestation.

Nice pics though.
Liam-Manchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #117
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 14

If someone took a picture of me, I'd think what on earth are they taking a picture of me for! It can be a little uncomfortable being under the lens of a camera.
Manc Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #118
flange

Likes (Received): 643

Quote:
HA! HA! Bar and Grill - Manchester

Foodies in the Manchester area will shortly be beating a track to the new Spinningfields development to enjoy the delights of the all new HA! HA! Bar and Grill.

Inspired by nature, HA! HA! features earthy tones and natural materials creating an organic, warm atmosphere bringing ‘the outdoors … indoors’.
Its sumptuous menu has been tailored specifically for its food savvy Manchester clientele, and you’ll be spoilt for choice with an array of fresh, seasonally inspired dishes.

To top it all off, the new HA! HA! runs alongside the canal – a truly idyllic location you won’t be able to resist!
It Opens August 14th

http://www.hahaonline.co.uk/bars.asp?bar_id=42
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #119
skit_uk
Towerholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
What a lot of marketing crap.
Still it might be different. How they can refer to the Irwell as a canal is a bit of a schoolboy error.
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #120
markydeedrop

New Pics 11Aug

Tags
manchester, public houses, pubs