daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #121
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

Zagreb Main Station

KHS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #122
Giŕ
...****** de sitio...

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I loved Milano Centrale when I was there. Almost missed my train to Roma because the board said the only train leaving at my scheduled time was going to Napoli. Good thing I asked someone about it. The passenger rail system in Europe is very impressive.
Trains going to Naples always stop at Rome.... so you could take it too!
Giŕ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #123
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Budapest Nyugati Railway Station

Keleti Railway Station

RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #124
werner10

Likes (Received): 847

Amsterdam's Central Station

The station is currently under construction

Main entrance Hall

Below ground level two metrolines cross at Amsterdams Central Station. The eastline and the new north/south-line (u/c)

Last pic by Amstelbright

Last edited by werner10; September 26th, 2007 at 02:47 AM.
werner10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #125
Sky_Line

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
Antwerp is beautiful, but I don't think it's very convenient to be honest. At least not in the old layout; I hope it will be a lot better once they're done with the rebuilding.

Not sure if it counts as a "main station" since there are many in London, but St. Pancras is quite beautiful.

It looks slightly spooky at night!

Love it.
Sky_Line no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #126
Lake

Likes (Received): 49

Zürich Mainstation

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And the u/c extension project:

Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:16 PM   #127
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
54 tracks?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #128
Minato ku

It could be an error, it is maybe Sx, S-Bahnhof instead of 5x
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM   #129
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
It could be an error, it is maybe Sx, S-Bahnhof instead of 5x
It's not an error, the tracks are just not numbered through. The reason for this is simple, this way you can easier for the passenger to find out where to go. You have to see that tracks 51-54 are only temporary until 31 - 34 are build.
I don't know why the numbers 4x are not used. Actually I think tracks 1 and 2 should be 41 and 42, and the tracks 3-18 should be 1-16.

Letters are not used because they already define the sectors of a track.

BTW there are 26 tracks.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #130
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8832

Favourite: Berlin Hauptbahnhof by FAR. It's amazing!

Second Place: London Waterloo

Third Place: Sydney Central.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #131
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10412

St.Pancras, London

I have never been here, but it truly is quite a beauty.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #132
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

I love Train stations....they seem to hold a certain magic. It's like any major transport hub, I suppose, like airports; there is a buzz to them because there is invariably a mix of people from all walks of life from many different nations each doing their seperate thing, trying to get somewhere. But I think train staions have something more than airports or bus stations. I think because many of them are so old, you can sense/smell the history and the people from a bygone age.

My favorites from those I have visited are London St Pancras, Berlin Hauptbahnhof, Amsterdam Centraal, Paris Gare du Nord, and I loved the station at Marseille for it's location because as soon as you leave the train and exit the station you are presented with an amazing view over the whole city!

And as a Bristolian I suppose I'd better add my city's station, the beautiful Bristol Temple Meads. It is the oldest railway terminus building(or main station) in the world. Designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, trains first ran here in 1840.

The main entrance

The old main building now housing a museum

Ps sorry about the quality of the first image - that's one of mine! Other images were anonymous.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #133
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Previously I had listed Berlin’s Hauptbahnhof as one of my favourite stations, but having used it extensively over the last few days I sadly will exclude this from my list. The station is still visually impressive, but a station needs more than cosmetics to be great. The problems I found for Berlin’s Hauptbahnhof were as follows:

• Some of the East/West (top level) platforms are far too narrow for practical usage, and this is already before the station has even reached it’s capacity. There are area’s on the platform where the escalators or light wells are placed and here there is little more than a meter or two of space. Coming off the ICE, it was so packed it was almost impossible to get off the train. This didn’t just happen once, but several times and also on the S-bahn trains that use that top level.
• When I came off the ICE, I needed to buy a local train ticket for the S-bahn. I could only see four ticket machines on the platform (in pairs and spaced quite far apart), and everyone else coming off the ICE were having the same idea, so there were long lines behind each machine. So long, it took me 20minutes to get a ticket missing several S-bahns in the process. Again, I noticed this several times when I used the station.
• At the end of the journey, I had arrived at the station with several hours before my train to kill and wanted to shoot around the city. Usually this is a simple process of storing my luggage, but not at this station. There was only one left luggage point which had a massive line that covered a good section of that side of the top floor. I waited for 15 minutes but gave up when the line wasn’t moving and realized that their left luggage was already full. This is crazy as it wasn’t even a weekend, just a normal weekday.
• The Hauptbahnhof, it’s all it’s physical glory is really in a stupid location with poor connections to the rest of the city. I noticed on their website how they talk of great connections for Europe, East-West, North-South, but this is really just advertising nonsense. It doesn’t matter if trains come from the North and that they enter the station from the North. I came from the South and entered from the West. What really matters is local transport, and this station is very poor for this. There is no North-South local transport at all. No U-bahn stop, and the only local connection is the East-West S-bahn. I know that in a couple of years a small U-bahn shuttle will link it to the south, but it will probably be another 15years before a real U-bahn line links this station.

Sure, many other stations also have some problems, but this is a new station and I would have thought that they would have learned enough from over a hundred years of station building to get these right.
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #134
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this before now, but I really like the interior of Auckland's Britomart railway station (pics are from Google):

The platforms are underground, I really like the curved metal ceiling and coloured lighting.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #135
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this before now, but I really like the interior of Auckland's Britomart railway station (pics are from Google):

The platforms are underground, I really like the curved metal ceiling and coloured lighting.
Britomart is a disaster. It was built in a hurry, has had pieces of roof fall in and is hellishly impractical. It only has two tracks leaving the whole station hindering its capacity big time. Not only this, but the whole thing is occupied by old diesel trains which give the station an unhealthy blue haze and disgusting smell, not only this, the ballast has been so stained by oil you can hardly tell it's ballast anymore! A total of five platforms exist, but they park trains in there ready for peak meaning trains quite often double park and this involves running up and down the platforms. It's incredibly poorly lit and at night can be very dark and dingy. As you can quite clearly see, the roof isn't exactly waterproof and puddles form on the platforms, not a good start. Finally, the platform information system is shocking.

So yes, Britomart isn't a bad LOOKING train station, it's just one of the worst I've ever used and I use it almost daily unfortunately.

Last edited by Svartmetall; October 6th, 2007 at 08:20 AM.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #136
[email protected]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Tokyo stasion
Kyoto station
Umeda station
p-s-30@za2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #137
Basel_CH

Likes (Received): 40

Central Bahnhof Basel (Basel SBB)

Basel_CH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #138
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Hey, dark lighting isn't always bad. Melbourne's Southern Cross station has night time lighting levels similar to a very overcast day, and it's just a bit of mood lighting. Having lots of people and lots of trains at any given time helps too.

In terms of track infrastructure, Britomart might struggle a bit in the future - the number of tracks and platforms there is comparable to some outer suburban terminus stations over here.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #139
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Britomart doesn't seem to count for me. It maybe the central terminus, but it's really just the size of a suburban station or a large metro station - though generally a lot less busy. I believe they only started Sunday train services in Auckland 2 years ago on only 3 trains an hour on that day.
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #140
Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
And as a Bristolian I suppose I'd better add my city's station, the beautiful Bristol Temple Meads. It is the oldest railway terminus building(or main station) in the world. Designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, trains first ran here in 1840.
The oldest operational railway terminus in the world is Liverpool's Lime Street station, which opened in 1836, though the oldest remaining railway terminus, though now in disuse, is Manchester's Liverpool Road station which opened in 1830.

My choice in this poll would be Manchester's Piccadilly station, recently voted the best railway station in the UK.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr