daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #81
MDguy

you're right! there's another mandarin Oriental in atlanta i just heard about today. see?

EDIT: don't want people to get confused with MO in chicago with MO in atlanta

Last edited by MDguy; April 14th, 2007 at 02:14 AM.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #82
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
3 massive building for Chicago.....Waterview, Trump and Oriental....all three over 950ft...with two passing 1000ft mark...i see Chi-Town gaining on HK, and NYC in overall skyline status and competitions.
Not to mention 2 800+ footers and 4 700+ footers either under construction or in site prep. We're adding some serious height to the skyline during this phase of the boom--and some beautiful architecture as well.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #83
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

FInally, this is the first time that i see the rendering of this tower.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #84
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
FInally, this is the first time that i see the rendering of this tower.
That's a different building. This is the Mandarin in Chicago:

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #85
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Not to mention 2 800+ footers and 4 700+ footers either under construction or in site prep. We're adding some serious height to the skyline during this phase of the boom--and some beautiful architecture as well.
Not to mention the 2000' ChiSpire that seems to be moving along quite well.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #86
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

UR right HYDORGEN....the possible Fordham Spire....Mandarin....Trump....Waterview....Met3 i beleive...could b wrong...but i see that Chicago is making out like bandits....even more so than dare i say NYC....but thats a race amoung u guys
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #87
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
UR right HYDORGEN....the possible Fordham Spire....Mandarin....Trump....Waterview....Met3 i beleive...could b wrong...but i see that Chicago is making out like bandits....even more so than dare i say NYC....but thats a race amoung u guys
Met 3 is in Miami.

Last edited by Kngkyle; June 10th, 2007 at 06:05 AM.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #88
Ralphkke
Carpe Diem

Likes (Received): 2

Damn, again a great building!
Ralphkke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #89
MDguy

nothing new to tell, but here are a few pics of the site from museumparktom at ssp

Old May 14th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #90
VikkyD
Yip-Eyey-Kie-Ay

Likes (Received): 1

looks like a pretty awesome building... chicago is KILLIN" it with all these awesome new buildings!
VikkyD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #91
Dave H

Likes (Received): 8

MDguy, thanks for posting the pictures. That's a great vantage point, and I hope museumparktom keeps taking more from there. It will be good for monitoring progress of caissons and foundations.
Dave
Dave H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #92
Rodrigo

Likes (Received): 1134

This tower will be a very nice addition to Chicago skyline, It's very sleek and has a very good height.
Rodrigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #93
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

all over 800ft is great i think
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #94
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1851681.ece

From The Times May 29, 2007

Investors asked to check out Chicago hotel

James Rossiter, Property Correspondent

British retail investors are to be offered the chance to buy a stake in a new 74-storey tower in Chicago, The Times has learnt.

The Mandarin Oriental Tower, part-opulent hotel, part-luxury residential block, will cost $600 million (£302 million) to build.

When complete, it will be the ninth-tallest building in a city famed for its skyscrapers.

BridgePoint, the private equity group, and movewithus, the estate agent, will sell off-plan hotel rooms and apartments in the tower, with the hotel investor receiving an income based on the occupancy of the room.

Related Links
Windy City goes down a storm with delegates
The cheapest room is on sale for $600,000, with top-of the-range presale units priced at up to $4 million each. Penthouses in the 784ft tower will cost up to $21 million. In all, 252 hotel condominiums and 250 private residences – all of which come with the full benefits of hotel living, such as twice-daily maid services and a luxury spa and gym – are planned.

Similar investment schemes have been launched before, but this is the first to guarantee a minimum resale price of each unit once the building is completed. BridgePoint guarantees a 15.6 per cent return above the open market resale price.

Nor is that the only potential attraction to investors. The block, due to be completed in 2009, is located in the heart of the city, a short walk from the Magnificent Mile, the Chicago River and the financial and business district. It is close to some of the world’s biggest conference centres – a ready source of hotel-room-seeking visitors – and Mandarin Oriental is known worldwide as much for its high occupancy rates, well above 70 per cent, as its luxurious service.

Furthermore, the developer – Palladian Development, whose controlling Kenny family is close to President Bush – is backing the scheme by making unusually confident undertakings.

It must presell at least half the units in the skyscraper for $300 million before it can draw down any of the $400 million of development loans needed to get construction work off the ground.

It will also pick up the tab for ensuring the resale of each unit for early-stage investors who want out at the completion of the block. Should the market go down between investors buying in and first being able to sell on, the developer is obliged to make up the difference to the investors.

Should Palladian go bust before completion, executives at BridgePoint and movewithus said, investors would get all their money back with interest as it would be held in an escrow account, out of reach of any creditors to the constuction company.

“The collar comes from the developer,” Robin King, of movewithus, said. “In the past, developers said: ‘I will sell off-plan and discount.’ Never before have developers taken market risk.” BridgePoint and movewithus insist that even in a “flat market the minimum profit potential is 40 per cent”.

The Mandarin Hotel has already presold $84 million of units.

Fernando Migliassi, senior vice-president at BridgePoint, whose partners have already bought flats in the scheme, said: “This way of forward-selling is a way of compressing time. It creates a buying group, which allows us to comply with the lending structure by getting preconstruction sales. The investors get preferential terms.

“We are investing at BridgePoint at the same time as the investors on the same terms. We are partners. We will get our cut on exit at the same time as investors. We are introducing something new to them.”

How it works

— A condominium hotel operates as a hotel, with rooms owned individually by investors, who can sell the deeds to their investment whenever they choose

— When the unit owner stays at the hotel, they have access to all of the hotel’s amenities. When the owner wants to stay, they ring the hotel and book their own room

— When the owner is not using the room, it can be made available to guests through the hotel

— Each room owner receives a bill, usually monthly, to cover their share of the costs of everything from services, repairs, marketing, insurance and all other costs of running the hotel
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #95
MDguy

from the 23 from SolarWind at ssp

Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #96
Dave H

Chi649, that's a very interesting article. Two quotes in particular are of concern, especially when taken away from the rest of the article:
"Furthermore, the developer – Palladian Development... – is backing the scheme by making unusually confident undertakings." and "Should Palladian go bust before completion, executives at BridgePoint and movewithus said, investors would get all their money back with interest as it would be held in an escrow account, out of reach of any creditors to the constuction company."
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #97
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Are you worried about the financing?
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #98
Dave H

I just said "concern" - as long as the developer is confident, there is no need for worry, right? Although, BridgePoint and movewithus are the ones that seem to be worried about the developer going bust...
Old June 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #99
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

June 8, 2007

^ the initial underground work appears to be complete
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:38 AM   #100
MDguy

still nothing! here's a shot from SolarWind at ssp, no changes!