daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #21
Skyprince
Asian boi

da journey above the Pole, aw impressive !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #22
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

It has been two and half years since the same route in business class been posted.
I flew back to HK from NY last week; and got upgraded to business from my discounted economy ticket.
Probably because the economy class was overbooked, and so moved some frequent fliers up to the 25% empty business class to free up the economy seats.
The lounge hasn't been changed a lot since then; but indeed Cathay flies with a different aircraft (A340-600 vs B777-300ER) with the new flat bed business seat.
It was a really nice treat that you can actually lie down and sleep on a plane.
The only weird thing with the new business seat layout; majority of the window seats don't really get a window view.
The seats just don't line up with the window; and for me, even though I was on the window aisle, but I didn't get a window at all.
It was a little disappointed that I couldn't get the aerial view from business class; but it was certainly a hell lot more comfortable than crammed in the economy seat.
After all, the plane entered HKIA from the west and didn't get any good aerials anyways.
Landing was very rough with a perfect 90 degree crosswind from the side; sitting at an angle from the travelling direction with the plane bumping in all direction was also quite uncomfortable when you just tried to balance yourself in the seat.

The British Airways Business Lounge

The new long haul B777-300ER aircraft for Cathay Pacific

Priority boarding, no more waiting in line

The new business class with flat bed seat

Leg rest at the end of seat.

Meals during the flight.

The just launched business class personal kit for man

They even provide you noise cancellation headset!!

Barbecued goose noodle. I just don't know how they can keep the goose crunchy. I would imagine the goose have to be cooked in HK first and ship for the return trip.

The new screen for personal entertainment system is just as big as a 15" laptop.

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #23
BreDi

Wow, the new business class looks just great!
BreDi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #24
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Very interesting to read from time to time those experiences.

Business class is not made to look through windows in such configuration, but at least, you can try to sleep... Flight evolution...
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM   #25
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

It's very hard to get a window view even when I was sitting next to it. I had to lower the back and climb out to see the view.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:12 AM   #26
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

lovely pics, thanks for sharing
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:47 AM   #27
Andrex

Likes (Received): 877

Just another wonderful Flying the World report!

By the way, getting an upgrade for free in CX must be something orgasmic Good 4 u, Eric. Are you an "Asia Miles" or "The Marco Polo Club" cardholder?

The BA's lounge at JFK looks great, confortable and nice. On the other hand, I know CX is a great airline and maybe the best oneworld's carrier, but I can't be sure about how good is to do without window. The seat seems also a bit narrow to be a Business Class' seat. But of course, flying Business Class in CX is to say a lot, no need discussion here
Andrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #28
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Did the crazy lady miss her flight again when returning to HK?
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #29
ddes

Likes (Received): 928

I'm still undecided on the herringbone configuration. Ericishim, Hkskyline, how do you find it in comparison with front-facing seats (of course, don't compare with CX's previous seats)?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I'm still undecided on the herringbone configuration. Ericishim, Hkskyline, how do you find it in comparison with front-facing seats (of course, don't compare with CX's previous seats)?
I prefer the front-facing seats only because the window is right next to me. Otherwise, the slanted configuration gives far more privacy and ease of use, at the price of less horizontal room. But the new TVs are far bigger!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:11 PM   #31
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrex View Post
Just another wonderful Flying the World report!

By the way, getting an upgrade for free in CX must be something orgasmic Good 4 u, Eric. Are you an "Asia Miles" or "The Marco Polo Club" cardholder?

The BA's lounge at JFK looks great, confortable and nice. On the other hand, I know CX is a great airline and maybe the best oneworld's carrier, but I can't be sure about how good is to do without window. The seat seems also a bit narrow to be a Business Class' seat. But of course, flying Business Class in CX is to say a lot, no need discussion here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I am a Marco Polo Club member.
When the staff told me he upgraded me to business, I almost asked "can you downgrade me back to economy? Because I want a window seat for sure."
But I gave up my mind once I thought about how much more comfortable it was in business; I think the comfort could rule out a window seat.

I've never flown the traditional layout in business class; so I can't comment on that. I am a big guy, but still found the new seats comfortable and roomy, even if the new seats are a little narrower comparing to the traditional seats.

I think the big thing here with the new setup is, it provides the flat bed availability that the traditional setup doesn't. Lying down for a good sleep during a long haul flight is probably more important than excess seat room. The other good thing about this layout is no passenger is in conflict with each other when walking in and out of the seats; of course you can argue if you are travelling in couple and you can't be sat together.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM   #32
Andrex

Likes (Received): 877

I wonder if this new Business Class-style is going to set a trend in the civil aviation business. I can't say nothing about this new style until I can do test it by myself, but based on a simple and quick overlook I think I find better the traditional layout in Business Class.

I really like have a window close to me. Once I changed to a friend of me a non-window seat in Business for a simple Economy-Class window seat. And I had a very pleasant 7 hours fly, anyhow.

On the other hand, in Business is always easier sleeping, with or without the new style. But I agree with you for a that long-haul flight kind JFK-HKG is better no reject more confort in order to sleep better and easier. Specially when we are talking about over + 11/12 hours flying time.
Andrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #33
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrex View Post
I wonder if this new Business Class-style is going to set a trend in the civil aviation business. I can't say nothing about this new style until I can do test it by myself, but based on a simple and quick overlook I think I find better the traditional layout in Business Class.

I really like have a window close to me. Once I changed to a friend of me a non-window seat in Business for a simple Economy-Class window seat. And I had a very pleasant 7 hours fly, anyhow.

On the other hand, in Business is always easier sleeping, with or without the new style. But I agree with you for a that long-haul flight kind JFK-HKG is better no reject more confort in order to sleep better and easier. Specially when we are talking about over + 11/12 hours flying time.
I believe Cathay is not alone in adopting this setup. AC has this type of Business Class layout as well.

Old September 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #34
hkskyline
Hong Kong

CX831 First Class by wesleytzwong from HKADB :

Old September 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #35
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 102

Nice showcase y'all.

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #36
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

No comments. heheh
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #37
EricIsHim

It's been a delay on posting the pictures, but here they are on my flight back to Hong Kong from New York on 2010 New Year day, and once again... free upgrade from economy to business.

Due to the bomb threat in the USA over the Christmas just a few days before my departure, the route tracking system was actually turned off on board.
So you couldn't tell where you were, and the time clock on top right corner of the monition was pretty much the lifeline about how much longer before arriving in HK.

The business style noodle bowl was eaten out, so ended up taking the cup noodle from econ class... but that's crazy I got a brand new bottle of water every time I asked for a refill.

Weather was foggy in HK, the first glance of HK was just over AsiaExpo, 30 seconds before touch-down.

Old February 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #38
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Admirals Club lounge? It's quite big ... was most impressed with the internet area.

What's UA doing at the oneworld terminal?

Old February 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #39
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Admirals Club lounge? It's quite big ... was most impressed with the internet area.

What's UA doing at the oneworld terminal?
The lounge uses Wifi now. It sucks JFK doesn't have free Wifi everywhere.

The terminal isn't a oneworld terminal, but shared-use by UA and BA.
AA has its own separate terminal.
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #40
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

yummie pics
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote