daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Bengaluru

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #1
magestom

Likes (Received): 7

NH7 | Hosur Road Expressway | 10 kms elevated | Completed

It seems that when I was on my trip I rode NH7 to Bangalore and was wondering what all the signs saying elevated highway meant. I found the answer to my question. This is a NICE project!!!! I don't mean NICE as in Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Limited.

A model of the 9 km of elevated toll expressway project on the Bangalore-Hosur section of NH-7 displayed at a press conference in Bangalore on Friday. — G.R.N. Somashekar
Bangalore , Jan 27

BANGALORE Elevated Tollway Ltd (BETL), which has been awarded the expressway project on the Bangalore-Hosur section of the National Highway connecting the Electronic City, has proposed a toll of Rs 10 to Rs 70 per trip for different modes of vehicles, including heavy commercial vehicles.

The toll rate will be linked to the wholesale price index with an option to revise the rate every year to protect itself from any escalation in its operational costs during the 20-year concession period under the Build-Operate-and-Transfer (BOT) contract.

The three-member consortium has to undertake the work of topping the surface during the concession period, when any increase in the input cost could impact the toll rate.

However, Mr Ankineedu Maganti, Director of Soma Enterprises, lead member of the consortium, said: "We do not anticipate any major increase in the wholesale price index. In the last five years, the index has not seen more than a 4-4.5 per cent increase."

Speaking to newspersons on Friday, he said that the project would be funded by both equity and debt.

The financial closure for the project is expected to be completed in six months.

With the completion of the project, composed of a four-lane expressway to the Electronic City supported by a six-lane ground level road and a two-lane service lane, the IT industry hopes to get relief from traffic bottlenecks.

The consortium consists of Soma Enterprise Ltd, Nagarjuna Construction Corporation (NCC), and Maytas Infra Pvt Ltd.

It won the Rs 765-crore project through a competitive bid floated by the National Highway Authority of India.

The project consists of a 25-km-long road, which includes the elevated highway, and is expected to be completed in 30 months after work starts in February.

Initially, the project - estimated to cost Rs 450 crore - was to be implemented under the private-public partnership of Electronic City Industrial Association, NHAI, and the Karnataka Government with each holding equal equity of 33.3 per cent.
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 15th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #2
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 3295

And here's some more info + map

http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/28/stor...2819920300.htm
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #3
magestom

Post all news articles and picture and updates of it here!!!
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #4
magestom

http://www.bangalorebest.com/timepas...tronicCity.asp

The Expressway to Electronic City

Bangalore, like New Delhi, will soon have its own elevated express tollway which means quick travel time for thousands of IT professionals. The Rs 765 crore projects connects Bangalore to Electronic City and the expressway would come up on the Bangalore-Hosur section of NH-7. The 9-km stretch of elevated expressway is a Public-Private-Partnership, PPP, between the National Highways Authority of India and builders Soma-Nagarjuna-Maytas.

Presently, the Silk Board Junction (where the expressway would commence) alone takes a traffic strength of 1,20,00 vehicles per day. The expressway will be access-controlled, elevated fourlane road from Silk Board Junction to Electronic City on NH-7. As part of the project, the existing 4-lane section between Electronic City and the Tamil Nadu border would be widened to 6-lanes.Significantly, the 9-km stretch is a part of the Golden Quadrilateral and the North-South corridor and provides access to key players in the IT-BT spectrum. Announcing the details of the project on Friday, Ankineedu Maganti, director, Soma Enterprise Ltd (which has bagged the contract) explained the logistics.

"The expressway will facilitate thousands of IT professionals to drive on a fast lane and reduce travel time between Bangalore and Electronic City by over an hour." He dispelled apprehensions that real estate in the area would be affected during the period of construction saying that on the contrary, it would boom because of proximity to the expressway. To cater to the project, a special purpose vehicle has been formed called Bangalore Elevated Tollway Ltd. Once the project is done the consortium would operate the expressway for a period of 20 years.

"There has been some land acquisition but very little from the private domain. We are also aware that the Silk Board Junction was a crucial part during the deluge in Bangalore last year. Stormwater drains will be incorporated as part of our design" says Maganti. Logistics apart, here's the good news - travel time would be reduced from 1 hour to 10 minutes.

Old September 15th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #5
magestom

This is the link to the article...and the contruction has already started.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...2802281900.htm

Here are some picture from my showcase gallery that I took when driving on NH7....At the time I did not really know what I was taking picture of.
Exhisting highway

and the construction I saw with interchange...But I still don't know what that new road is to the left that is part of the interchange
And right after electronic city there is that interchange again...

And if you keep on looking down you see that totally new road U/C...some other road....??????
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #6
magestom

On ramp connecting that unknown road with NH7 which I am on.

Old September 15th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Nelaturi

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magestom

This one doesn't look Indian??? Is it what they are aspiring to build or more likely just a copy / paste of some foreign photo?
Nelaturi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #8
upendora
Unregistered user

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelaturi
This one doesn't look Indian??? Is it what they are aspiring to build or more likely just a copy / paste of some foreign photo?
I dont know the location of this, but I have seen such roads leading to the metros (even 100kms away).

Where are you?
upendora no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #9
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelaturi
Ya Nelaturi, it is just a copy/paste done by the portal, bangalorebest.com. The pic doesn't have much significance, its only indicative.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #10
vadi

magestom,

here is a thematic map of the area.
As you see BETL and BMIC-PRR cross over at some point. It was resolved that BETL would pass above BMIC-PRR. In all probability the new road you see is the BMIC-PRR-Hosur Rd interchange. According to a recent TOI report that is supposed to be complete.

CSB-Central Silk Board
BMIC-PRR between Hosur-Rd to Tumkur Rd is half ring arounf b'lore has no northern component. This is under construction.
BETL-Under construction (drain fixing road expansion stage)
BDA-PRR - Full ring around Bangalore (under survey/notification no construction)

Nelaturi,
that pic is not in bangalore.

Last edited by vadi; September 15th, 2006 at 05:31 PM.
vadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:38 AM   #11
magestom

thanks Vadi for the info!
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:48 AM   #12
magestom

As we continue down NH7 towards Bangalore we see the widening work going on for the toll project

And those ground drilling things

Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:23 AM   #13
sammyk

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by magestom
And those ground drilling things
They are known as augers.
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:24 AM   #14
kashyap3
Right Wing-ed

is there a point to make it elevated?

because it seems to cut past land that isnt developed yet

anticipation of future growth?
kashyap3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM   #15
magestom

First of all...The current road...cannot handle traffic. To go that short distance it can take up to 2 and a half hours instead of 15-30mins!
Old September 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #16
drwho
slacker oui!

Likes (Received): 1

thanks magestom for the update

JL Racing
drwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:45 PM   #17
Effer
Above the Ignorance

Likes (Received): 100

Great for Bangalore!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #18
magestom

We need more info!
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #19
magestom

I was wondering for a long time what this other new road being constructed was...I saw the bridge as seen in pics above...but did not know..I saw that NH7 was becoming elevated though but didn't know about the other expressway...This is Great....I have to go to Hosur everytime I go to India!

Smooth ride down Hosur Road soon

From TOI

New roads promise to make commuting on Hosur Road easier

The dedicated zone for IT, the Electronic City, is in the news since a couple of years, for a wrong reason. The traffic en route to Electronic City, i.e. Hosur Road is chaotic. Ask any commuter on this route on the status of traffic, and he fumes. Today, it takes almost one and half hours to reach Electronic City from the Silk Board junction in peak hours.

However, all is not bad. The under-construction road on stilts, PWD's project to develop an arterial road and Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise's (NICE) peripheral road are progressing, promising much relief for commuters on this stretch. As the four-lane Hosur Road is the only approach road to Electronic City, traffic from all over the city converges at the Silk Board junction to move ahead.

These projects will reduce the pressure on Hosur Road once through. The elevated road will take traffic moving towards Electronic City from the Silk Board junction. The PWD developed road will bring connectivity between Whitefield and Sarjapur Road, and Electronic City. NICE's peripheral road will connect Mysore Road, Kanakapura Road and Bannerghatta Road with Electronic City.

A recent traffic survey carried out to study the traffic density on Hosur Road reveals a whopping 1.20 lakh passenger car units (PCU) on a normal day. As many as 10,000 trucks and 10,000 buses pass through Bommanahalli every day.

Peripheral Road

It's a six-lane access-controlled super-way all the way between Tumkur Road and Hosur Road. The work on the 75-metre wide 41-km Peripheral Road connecting Bangalore-Pune Road (NH 4), Magadi Road, Mysore Road, Kanakapura Road, Bannergatta Road and Hosur Road (NH 7) is on. And the implementing authorities state that almost 85 percent of the road work is over except a railway over bridge near Tumkur Road and a 400-metre stretch near Gottigere (Bannerghatta Road).

This peripheral road will offload almost 50 percent of traffic from Hosur Road as people commuting to Electronic City from south and west of Bangalore can use it. The peripheral road doesn't have any stoppages, and is of six lanes with service roads all the way. The distance between Mysore Road and Hosur Road via The Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure Corridor Project (BMICP) peripheral road is a mere 20 km.

Speaking on the project, NICE Managing Director Ashok Keny says, "the peripheral road between Mysore Road and Hosur Road is crucial as it easily takes the burden off Hosur Road. Apart from reducing the distance, the traffic volume will be distributed. This will benefit people commuting through the Silk Board junction, and from the south and west parts of the city, to the Electronic City. There is a hitch which has halted the opening of the road. The state government is holding up a small piece of land near Gottigere. This 400-metre stretch is not transferred to us because the government wants us build a bridge over the lake rather than taking the road along the lake. The government should sort out the issue and give us land as soon as possible as it benefits thousands of commuters". Once this stretch is opened, the traffic scene on Hosur Road will never be bad again.

Elevated road

The work on the ambitious nine-km elevated road from Hosur Road to Electronic City is being carried out round-the-clock. This project will make commuting to the knowledge hub a pleasure. Currently, the stilts are being put up on Hosur Road and the project will be completed within a maximum time span of 24 months. It will cost Rs 450 crores. This will be a four-lane 'superstructure' - one of its kind. It will start from Hosur Road at the Silk Board junction and go straight into the heart of Electronic City. For the benefit given to them, the IT firms in Electronic City will bear 33 percent of the construction costs, while the remaining will be shared between the Centre, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) and the State Government.

The project will also include four subways for the heavy pedestrian traffic to cross at Bommanahalli, Garvebhavipalya, Kudlu and Singasandra junctions. Hosur Road will not be dug up for the construction of the subways. A 'box-pushing' technology where the subway is tunneled in from the sides will be adopted.

Arterial roads

The Karnataka Public Works Department (KPWD) is carrying out a massive and comprehensive plan to develop some of the crucial arterial roads in the peripheral areas of the city. One sector that is going to benefit from the project is Hosur Road. Under the project, three corridors of roads - east, south, and west will be developed. And Hosur Road sector falls under east.
The eastern corridor will involve a cost of Rs 27.45 crores and cover upto 45 km and four roads. This corridor road starts from NH 7 (Hosur Road) and joins NH 4 via Sarjapur, Bommasandra, Varthur, Whitefield, and Kadugodi. The existing road network comprises singlelane, intermediate-lane and two-lane roads, and they are to be widened to two-lane for the entire stretch. This project will ensure connectivity between Whitefield, Sarjapur Road and Electronic City.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:14 AM   #20
vantage

Hi VAD

Please could you let me know about the exact alignment of the BDA PRR , as to where does it intersect the Hosur road ?
And can you also point me to the source of this photo please ..

Thanks, Vantage
vantage no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: