daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #2041
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Railway Museum in Union, IL has some old NYC sybway trains:

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

mrsmartman liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #2042
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Good Gif
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #2043
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

The H train is back and will now be running between Mott Ave and B90 St in the Rockaways, disconnected from the rest of the system. This is because it will take several months for the subway bridge to the Rockaways to be rebuilt.

Subway cars were loaded onto flatbed trucks in Ozone Park, Queens and trucked across the Cross Bay Boulevard Bridge and placed back on the rails at Rockaway Park.

image hosted on flickr

NYCT_6926 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

NYCT_7310 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

Galro, mrsmartman liked this post
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #2044
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2045
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Gruesome murder on NY subway reinforces need for system-wide PSDs

An extremely gruesome murder happened on New York subway when a man was pushed to his death, which created a huge controversy since a imminent pre-death pic was taken by a freelance journalist and published (link here: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12...-new-york-post , it's all over the media anyway)

This even, yet again, shows how FRA should mandate that ALL subway and commuter rail stations be fit with platform screen doors, even if only chest-height, that prevent people and objects from falling on the tracks.

MTA should be obliged to install such doors in all its stations within a maximum of 8-10 years.

Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #2046
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2090

OK, fair enough. How about all the other agencies in the US and worldwide that do not provide in PSD's currently? Should they also be mandated to install PSD's within the next 8 to 10 years or so?
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2047
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
An extremely gruesome murder happened on New York subway when a man was pushed to his death, which created a huge controversy since a imminent pre-death pic was taken by a freelance journalist and published (link here: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12...-new-york-post , it's all over the media anyway)

This even, yet again, shows how FRA should mandate that ALL subway and commuter rail stations be fit with platform screen doors, even if only chest-height, that prevent people and objects from falling on the tracks.

MTA should be obliged to install such doors in all its stations within a maximum of 8-10 years.
Except that's a ton of money for nowhere near enough in return. You need automatic operation to ensure that the train stops within proper distance of the front of the platform for doors to open, while B Divison cars have different spacing between doors due to 60' and 75'-foot-long cars. There's also the cost of retrofitting that would be insane, mind you that it's not possible to fit them in on many curved platforms, and think of where the money for this that could go towards more necessary work would be taken from, not to mention the cost of actually implementing CBTC and/or ATO, which is going to take forever as it is. It's like people who say that the subway should be entirely, 100% accessible: it's not possible.

geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2048
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:

Here we go again...
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2049
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
OK, fair enough. How about all the other agencies in the US and worldwide that do not provide in PSD's currently? Should they also be mandated to install PSD's within the next 8 to 10 years or so?
Yes, it should be a federal law requiring any public transportation vehicle that uses elevated platforms (buses, commuter rail, Amtrak) where waiting passengers are allowed before vehicles are completely stopped to be fitted with PSDs within a decade or so.

Old December 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2050
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

But Amtrack use a lot of different rolling stock, where the doors are differently aligned.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2051
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
But Amtrack use a lot of different rolling stock, where the doors are differently aligned.
I think they could come up with a partial solutions: platform screen doors that isolate the platforms splitting then longitudinally in two, with a 4" wide (or whatever is needed to fit a wheelchair) buffer safe zone where people can move to/from trains and are opened when a train is stopped but seals the area when there are no trains stopped

That way, you don't need to fit train access doors to PSDs.

It might be possible to create systems have fully moving panels that can be superimposed to create an opening at any door configuration of trains.

Old December 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #2052
XAN_

Quote:

But it want remove the cause of case - that madman would just smack victim's head on PSD... So it's more effective to improve public security. PSD are fine too, but the astronomical cost of retrofitting the existing stations makes them questionable for existing lines.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2053
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:

These incidents are rare , the deaths by Rail are about 1800 a year...small compared to the 45,000 by Road accidents if anything we need better designed roads.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #2054
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
What Intercity system aside from Japan uses PSD's what a waste....

Old December 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2055
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Japan's designs appear less imposing :phew:
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2056
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

If I recall correctly, Suburbanist (or someone else, not sure) once argued on another forum that PSDs should be installed on sidewalks to prevent folks from pushing each other in front of moving traffic. I think the sardonic nature of his or her comments has not been properly recognized...

Old December 5th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2057
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7301

Quote:
Yes, it should be a federal law requiring any public transportation vehicle that uses elevated platforms (buses, commuter rail, Amtrak) where waiting passengers are allowed before vehicles are completely stopped to be fitted with PSDs within a decade or so.
And how would you fit them in at Union Square on the Lex? The doors would open onto the track due to the curve.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2058
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
If I recall correctly, Suburbanist (or someone else, not sure) once argued on another forum that PSDs should be installed on sidewalks to prevent folks from pushing each other in front of moving traffic. I think the sardonic nature of his or her comments has not been properly recognized...
I didn't advocate that. I advocated, indeed, building waist-high glass/transparent barriers that preclude pedestrians from crossing major thoroughfares outside designated crossing points (pedestrians strips, traffic-light controlled intersections etc), and I even advocated building physically segregated bike lanes with lateral protections that isolate bikes from both cars and pedestrians. I'm all in favor of segregating objects/people that don't mix together from one another with grade-separation, fences, barriers etc.

Old December 5th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #2059
XAN_

Quote:
I think they could come up with a partial solutions: platform screen doors that isolate the platforms splitting then longitudinally in two, with a 4" wide (or whatever is needed to fit a wheelchair) buffer safe zone where people can move to/from trains and are opened when a train is stopped but seals the area when there are no trains stopped

That way, you don't need to fit train access doors to PSDs.

It might be possible to create systems have fully moving panels that can be superimposed to create an opening at any door configuration of trains.
Well, it's good technical solutions, but what about price? USA need a lot of investment in it's transport infrastructure, but world economic energy-base are declining too, so there wouldn't be much funds available for extra-costs like PSD.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #2060
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Recent Videos

IND 8th Avenue line At High Street - Brooklyn Bridge

image hosted on flickr

High Bridge - Brooklyn Bridge by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

High Bridge - Brooklyn Bridge by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr