daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #201
lakerdar123
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

they get plenty of respect. they get paid 30 dollars an hour. thats more than the teachers plus mta workers don't have college degrees and teachers do. didnt really bother me much today. go to my job with my bike. it's gonna continue like this for ten days i think. they ****ed up the holiday season.

they're probably going to loose with the strike. they don't have the support of the people. everybody hates them now. i think about 1000 jobs per hour are lost because of them. they're being really selfish. the city doesn't have enough money for them and yet they want more.
lakerdar123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #202
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

They are just being greedy IMO, how many of us actually get 8% raise annaully?
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #203
lakerdar123
BANNED

ur lucky to get anything above 2%.
lakerdar123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #204
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

They need to realize that their job can be done by practically anyone. As such, be happy that your uneducated *ss gets such a high salary and do your f*cking job!
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #205
George_Castanza
www.Gobi-Igloo.com

I was lying down this morning and...

just thinking the same thing. With outsourcing and no borders
anymore + capitalist a-ethical-nesstos (yet again still more)
New Ways (as in "methods to not 'get it'" [where 'it' is how to
behave like American patriots and church-goers, "if that helps
you"]) these poor formerly employed (in a very hard city to find
work) people are -- it seems clear -- going to be replaced by
people willing and able to do the job at $0.50 on the dollar --
and a bonus! --> The noobies doubtless won't bother with ceasing
forward momentum (or tilting at the windmills of) those frustrating
track fires. cool.

Language is obviously not going to be an issue either. Big mistake,
union guys; and I'm a union guy.

<-- actual photograph of an AFL-CIO group at a
union meeting in 1966, Milwaukee, WI. photo: Raeutors
In times of change and danger when there is a quicksand of fear under men's reasoning, a sense of continuity with generations gone before can stretch like a lifeline across the scary present. —John Dos Passos, 1941

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by George_Castanza; December 20th, 2005 at 08:37 PM. Reason: goofed
George_Castanza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #206
Ning

Likes (Received): 7

OMG America is turning into France

Ning no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #207
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ning
OMG America is turning into France
NIET!

Old December 20th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #208
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

I don't get it... Why do people think only their jobs are important and everyone else is a lazy nobody? Why does everyone protest when a certain demographic wants higher wages; or, when people protest against a contract which would make them in a worse off position than they have been in so far?
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #209
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvius
I don't get it... Why do people think only their jobs are important and everyone else is a lazy nobody? Why does everyone protest when a certain demographic wants higher wages; or, when people protest against a contract which would make them in a worse off position than they have been in so far?
Because they are being selfish.

Hurting people that are worse off than they are (nannies, immigrant workers in restaurants who have no other method of transportation besides public transit).

And already get rewarded enough

Costing the city millions at a time when we are struggling to get back to before 9/11.

I know this i s a gross simplification, but in my mind, there was no need to pull this stunt. I can understand pulling it if they were being mistreated. But they are not. They have plum union jobs and are milking the city for what its worth.
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #210
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Doesn't the MTA have like a $1 billion surplus this year? Give me some of that money!

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #211
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Doesn't the MTA have like a $1 billion surplus this year? Give me some of that money!
The system needs refurbishing. They don't deserve what they are clamoring, so no. The only reason we have not had a strike in 25 years is because, unless I am mistaken, hard bargainers the first time.

We went 11 days last time, we can do the same this time. Except they need to pay. Dearly.
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #212
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 46

I say more power to the strikers. There is a one blllion dollar surplus and while the system needs refurbishment, I think this is not just for the MTA workers. This is for labor in general. I too am affected by the strike, but I support the strikers... it seems that the only reason why people are against the strikers are because they themselves do not know that they (the people who think striking is bad) too should fight for better wages themselves. We need to protect labor in this country. Everyone, not just the MTA workers, deserve better pensions and better wages across the board. Too often employers in all fields take their workers for granted because they feel someone can do the job for cheaper.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #213
DonQui
BANNED

Unions have become too powerful. They need to be curbed. And anything that harms the city this much should be made illegal. Oh wait, it already IS illegal for them to strike in this instance.
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #214
DonQui
BANNED

dble post
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #215
dougmatic
dougmatic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybaha
I say more power to the strikers. There is a one blllion dollar surplus and while the system needs refurbishment, I think this is not just for the MTA workers. This is for labor in general. I too am affected by the strike, but I support the strikers... it seems that the only reason why people are against the strikers are because they themselves do not know that they (the people who think striking is bad) too should fight for better wages themselves. We need to protect labor in this country. Everyone, not just the MTA workers, deserve better pensions and better wages across the board. Too often employers in all fields take their workers for granted because they feel someone can do the job for cheaper.
I agree. There are 30,000 people going on strike, most of them aren't the ones with "cushy union jobs," many of them are ordinary people fighting for better wages and standard of living. The union is there to protect those interests. Sure their demands are ridiculous (8% raises) but instead of fining and causing even more trouble I think the city should work at compromise.
dougmatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:50 AM   #216
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

I think it is horrible, especially in a city where a lot of people depend on public transportation. And to make it worse during the holiday season when people are shopping and trying to get to work to make some extra money for the holidays.

Let's hope it ends soon, so we don't see worse consequences of this.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM   #217
Frungy

1 billion dollar surplus? Where are you getting this from? I thought the MTA was subsidized because public transit in the US never makes a profit...
Frungy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:03 AM   #218
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

No mta had a surplus this year but thats including taxes and subsidies, not just fares. Very few public transporation system can make a profit with just fares.

mr_storms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:06 AM   #219
WillyWick
Keep On Movin Now!

Likes (Received): 0

Why r u guys not pointing your fingers to the government? This pension issue is all around america. And in a democracy, the government calls the protest illegal? It causes inconvenience to millions, but among those are just buried with day to day survival and let issues go by. I support the strike.
WillyWick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:15 AM   #220
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWick
Why r u guys not pointing your fingers to the government? This pension issue is all around america. And in a democracy, the government calls the protest illegal? It causes inconvenience to millions, but among those are just buried with day to day survival and let issues go by. I support the strike.
It is not just inconvenience. Why can't people realize this. This is not some little toy company that people are demonstrating against, it is a system that is the only reason why this city continues to function.

They are being selfish for wrecking it, and deserve their their $1 million a day fine.

Oh, and btw, the international arm of the TWU has declared the strike, you guessed it, UNAUTHORIZED!

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway