daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #2181
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1975

OMG! And I thought that Chambers St - Line J was horrendous! Bowery is even worse! :/
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #2182
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

The Old South Ferry video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqW-k2OCt4E

mrsmartman liked this post
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2183
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
I tried gray, it was invisible.
Don't forget that M and E trains both run under 53rd Street east of 6th Avenue.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2184
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14594

Yes, I missed that.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #2185
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1975

Old South Ferry (trains arriving/departing the loop & tour of the station, including the newer concourse and Whitehall St connection).

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2186
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Second Avenue Subway | 86th Street Station

image hosted on flickr

SAS_8086 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

Construction continues on the Second Avenue Subway's future 86th Street Station. This photo shows the latest progress as of April 2013.

Photo: Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Patrick Cashin.

image hosted on flickr

SAS_8081 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_8070 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_8043 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7975 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7958 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7953 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7949 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7935 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7925 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7920 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SAS_7912 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

suburbicide, Arnorian, mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #2187
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Plan to extend No. 7 subway from NYC to New Jersey could be back on track
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ity_subwa.html

Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2188
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

image hosted on flickr

under the Bowery by gothamruins, on Flickr

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #2189
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Plan to extend No. 7 subway from NYC to New Jersey could be back on track
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ity_subwa.html
Its already dead again , and should stay dead as it wouldn't fix the problem like the Gateway Plan.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #2190
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its already dead again , and should stay dead as it wouldn't fix the problem like the Gateway Plan.
No it's not, learn how to read...

Study backs New York Subway Jersey extension

A new study for New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) has concluded that extending the 7 Subway beneath the Hudson River from Manhattan to New Jersey is viable, less than a year after the project was dismissed by the then MTA chairman Mr Joe Lhota.

The No. 7 Secaucus Extension Feasibility Analysis Final Report, carried out by Parsons Brinckerhoff, states: "The extension of the No. 7 Subway would result in the first trans-Hudson tunnel connection that would provide direct rail access from New Jersey, not only to the West Side of Manhattan, but also to the East Side and multiple locations in Queens. It would provide needed capacity across the Hudson River and advance the broader goal of enhancing regional connectivity."

According to the report, the project meets many of the objectives of the Access to the Region's Core (ARC) commuter rail tunnel cancelled in October 2010 and would help to accommodate sustained growth in trans-Hudson traffic, which is forecast to increase by 38% by 2030.

The proposed Jersey extension would run 11th Avenue/West 34th Street, currently under construction as part of the extension from Times Square, through new tunnels under the Hudson and the Palisades to reach an interchange with NJ Transit and Amtrak Northeast Corridor services at Secaucus Junction, New Jersey. The journey time between Secaucus and 34th Street would be eight minutes, while Grand Central would be reached within 15 minutes.

The study suggests daily ridership on the extension would reach around 128,000 passengers in both directions in 2035. Some of these will be existing rail passengers although the line is also expected to attract significant traffic from ferries and cars.

No capital costs have been given for the project, and the study says these would be developed at the next stage of analysis, the advanced planning phase, together with a refined engineering design and construction schedule.

The study can be viewed in full at the New York City Economic Development Corporation website. Click here for the PDF.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #2191
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old April 14th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #2192
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
No it's not, learn how to read...

Study backs New York Subway Jersey extension

A new study for New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) has concluded that extending the 7 Subway beneath the Hudson River from Manhattan to New Jersey is viable, less than a year after the project was dismissed by the then MTA chairman Mr Joe Lhota.

The No. 7 Secaucus Extension Feasibility Analysis Final Report, carried out by Parsons Brinckerhoff, states: "The extension of the No. 7 Subway would result in the first trans-Hudson tunnel connection that would provide direct rail access from New Jersey, not only to the West Side of Manhattan, but also to the East Side and multiple locations in Queens. It would provide needed capacity across the Hudson River and advance the broader goal of enhancing regional connectivity."

According to the report, the project meets many of the objectives of the Access to the Region's Core (ARC) commuter rail tunnel cancelled in October 2010 and would help to accommodate sustained growth in trans-Hudson traffic, which is forecast to increase by 38% by 2030.

The proposed Jersey extension would run 11th Avenue/West 34th Street, currently under construction as part of the extension from Times Square, through new tunnels under the Hudson and the Palisades to reach an interchange with NJ Transit and Amtrak Northeast Corridor services at Secaucus Junction, New Jersey. The journey time between Secaucus and 34th Street would be eight minutes, while Grand Central would be reached within 15 minutes.

The study suggests daily ridership on the extension would reach around 128,000 passengers in both directions in 2035. Some of these will be existing rail passengers although the line is also expected to attract significant traffic from ferries and cars.

No capital costs have been given for the project, and the study says these would be developed at the next stage of analysis, the advanced planning phase, together with a refined engineering design and construction schedule.

The study can be viewed in full at the New York City Economic Development Corporation website. Click here for the PDF.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542
This project is behind the Gateway which just needs funding and the MTA said it won't do it....NJT and PATH will team up and kill it which is why the Gateway will go through.
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2193
Arnorian

This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to link lines 7 and L and fuse them into a single line?
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2194
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to link lines 7 and L and fuse them into a single line?
No the 7 is narrow and the L uses wider trains however they could meet in Chelsea somewhere. The Amtrak Gateway Project calls for the 7 to be extended to the New Penn Station south....
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #2195
Arnorian

You mean the planned extension of line 7 to 11th Avenue/34th Street? Line L could go under the 10th Avenue to the 34th Street, a single subway station on line 7 seems not enough for when Hudson Yards development is finished. Maybe even extending line L farther uptown to the 72nd Street, covering Hell's Kitchen and giving it a connection with lines 1, 2, and 3. But excessive construction costs in NYC probably make this hypothetical.

Last edited by Arnorian; April 14th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #2196
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

Nexis, here is the report on the feasibility study for the 7 train extension.
http://www.nycedc.com/sites/default/...April_2013.pdf

The report is full of plans and sections. Parts of it are from 2011, when the idea first dawned. Ironically, the 7 SUBWAY line would go on the roof level at Secaucus Junction...
They better put some midway stations in Hoboken and/or the Palisades. The line will pass under the HBLR. According to that study, there will be numerous improvements to existing stations to accomodate the load. Secaucus Junction could easily handle the load, but I agree with you, The Gateway Project is far better, as it will accomodate High-Speed Rail, something that this country sorely lacks.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #2197
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

The New Yorker put up an intractive graph that allows you to choose a line and see average income per station are. Quite fun: http://www.newyorker.com/sandbox/bus....html?mobify=0

Route N for instance

Old April 18th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2198
goten2255

Likes (Received): 21

Extend PATH to Secaucus and other places in NJ and build Gateway project, not the 7 line

Why in the heck are they doing this study for are they ignoring that PATH already does this it goes to New Jersey already with a New York and New Jersey partnership its easier to build an extension for PATH then it is for the NY Subway to NJ trust me, what the heck is bloomberg thinking Extend PATH.

PATH can be extended to other places in NJ like Elizabeth, Staten Island, North Bergen, Secaucus and Meadowlands, etc its easier to do so then the NY Subway anybody agree with me on this.

I fully support Gateway since that will also contribute to High Speed Rail but PATH expansion i support more then a NY Subway to NJ.

if NY subway wants to expand, expand to areas less served by the Subways like Co-op city, northeast queens, southeast queens, east brooklyn, Staten Island, Laguadia Airport, etc.

goten2255 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #2199
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Lol. A NY-NJ partnership requiring two states to agree to everything? That sounds like a wonderful idea. It's amazing the World Trade Center PATH station has been rebuilt in record time.
Old April 26th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #2200
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2443

Governor Cuomo Announces Wireless Service Has Arrived at 30 Additional Underground Subway Stations

http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/042...ubway-Wireless

slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway