daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2005, 04:18 AM   #221
bohio
Deacon Blues

Likes (Received): 1

The whole MTA organization is losing the respect of the public. Union workers and white-collar staff seems to be more concerned with their pockets than with the service they provide. At the end the riders will pay the price, no doubt about it.

mrsmartman liked this post
bohio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:18 AM   #222
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

^ Exactly.

The transit workers are being pretty selfish. They currently have fairly good wages and benefits, and are demanding selfish increases. They're really abusing their positions and it doesn't seem quite so fair to me.

asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:24 AM   #223
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by asohn
They're really abusing their positions and it doesn't seem quite so fair to me.

If they don't, then the top executives will

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:56 AM   #224
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Exactly, they are just selfish little people. Also, from what I have been hearing the union only has $3.6 million in their bank, and with $1 million fine per day, it would be pretty fast till they go bankrupt. Also, according to some polls, 65% of New Yorkers says that the workers have good wages and then they have the nerve to complain. The $1 billion surplus isnt anything really, not when you are $2 billion in debt. The president of the TWU finally realized that he is wrong [and stupid] and is now toning down his voice.

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM   #225
carpanatomy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_storms
No mta had a surplus this year but thats including taxes and subsidies, not just fares. Very few public transporation system can make a profit with just fares.
maybe Asian cities can make profit......

Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Taipei, Shanghai, Beijing, etc.......

carpanatomy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:39 AM   #226
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybaha
I say more power to the strikers. There is a one blllion dollar surplus and while the system needs refurbishment, I think this is not just for the MTA workers. This is for labor in general. I too am affected by the strike, but I support the strikers... it seems that the only reason why people are against the strikers are because they themselves do not know that they (the people who think striking is bad) too should fight for better wages themselves. We need to protect labor in this country. Everyone, not just the MTA workers, deserve better pensions and better wages across the board. Too often employers in all fields take their workers for granted because they feel someone can do the job for cheaper.
Agreed, instead of complaining that unionized transit workers get more money than others in the working class, why not organize and demand better pay for other workers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
Unions have become too powerful. They need to be curbed.
That's a myth propagated by the ones really in charge, the corporations. Unions have very little power in this country, most people aren't unionized, many people don't get any health care benefits, pensions, etc. because the corporations want to exploit the people for as little money as possible. Fight for all the people to get decent wages and benefits like the transit workers instead of complaining that the transit workers earn more than other working class people.

mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:40 AM   #227
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_nick
Agreed, instead of complaining that unionized transit workers get more money than others in the working class, why organize and demand better pay for other workers?

That's a myth propagated by the ones really in charge, the corporations. Unions have very little power in this country, most people aren't unionized, many people don't get any health care benefits, pensions, etc. because the corporations want to exploit the people for as little money as possible. Fight for all the people to get decent wages and benefits like the transit workers instead of complaining that the transit workers earn more than other working class people.
Myth? Are we living in the same city with the same strike?

DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:42 AM   #228
mad_nick

^ The transit union has alot of power, but what you said was that unions in general have too much power, which is a myth, they have hardly any power at all.

Old December 21st, 2005, 07:54 AM   #229
DonQui
BANNED

What I see in teacher's unions are largely white teachers who do not give a crap about their minority students and are there simply to collect a paycheck. They milk the system and hurt the minority communities and leave the decent hard working teachers with little incentive to work hard. Why do so, when fatty in Room 301 is just acting as a babysitter. Look at how they fought tooth and nail against Bloomberg's reforms. While we still need to wait to see if his reforms will last in efficacy, at least now, the Teacher's Union was flat out wrong.

As much as I respect firefighters, the firefighter's unions after 9/11 were disgusting. Milking the death of their coworkeres for pay raises. Unbelievable. Police unions to a certain extent as well.

Unions have outlived their usefulness.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM   #230
mad_nick

^ Unions have outlived their usefulness?
The corporations have run amok in this country, they're exploiting the workers, and in most cases, there are no unions to counterbalance the corporations, and in many cases, workers are prohibited from organizing.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:06 AM   #231
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_nick
^ Unions have outlived their usefulness?
The corporations have run amok in this country, they're exploiting the workers, and in most cases, there are no unions to counterbalance the corporations, and in many cases, workers are prohibited from organizing.
1) First, I was commenting on public unions.

2) Well, in many respects, tough shit. It is called personal responsibility. My dad was a factory worker (mind you, because RACIST Italian-Irish construction unions denied him employment), went to college, and is now a professional. You do not get a high paying job because you want one, you get one because you DESERVE one.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM   #232
brooklynprospect

Likes (Received): 2

edit.

Last edited by brooklynprospect; December 21st, 2005 at 08:14 AM.
brooklynprospect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM   #233
MachuPichu

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
What I see in teacher's unions are largely white teachers who do not give a crap about their minority students and are there simply to collect a paycheck. They milk the system and hurt the minority communities and leave the decent hard working teachers with little incentive to work hard. Why do so, when fatty in Room 301 is just acting as a babysitter. Look at how they fought tooth and nail against Bloomberg's reforms. While we still need to wait to see if his reforms will last in efficacy, at least now, the Teacher's Union was flat out wrong.

As much as I respect firefighters, the firefighter's unions after 9/11 were disgusting. Milking the death of their coworkeres for pay raises. Unbelievable. Police unions to a certain extent as well.

Boy..oh...boy... the $15 cab fares are killing my weekly budget. How do I get to places inside the city? I think the MTA will end the strike sooner than later. Because if they dont, corporations might seriously think of moving their work force outside of NY city...and as someone rightly pointed out...the MTA is wreaking havoc on the spirit of the city. The workers should be paid a variable bonus based on their performance and the profiuts the company makes. it is better to have a profit sharing plan rather than dole out assured freebies. This is why Unions get organized in the first place...assured benefits. Why should it be assured?

I ended up sharing my cab ride with a girl from Queens. She told me that it took her 5 f^%$king hours to get to Manhattan. Menahwile, 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue are closed for traffic because the rich people didnt want their poodles run over. I think Bloomberg needs to bring this to a close. A walk across brooklyn Bridge while it sounds very American, is hardly practical when done over 10 days and twice a day.

Looking forward to the strike fizzing out tomorrow

MP.

MachuPichu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM   #234
MachuPichu

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:

Boy..oh...boy... the $15 cab fares are killing my weekly budget. How do I get to places inside the city? I think the MTA will end the strike sooner than later. Because if they dont, corporations might seriously think of moving their work force outside of NY city...and as someone rightly pointed out...the MTA is wreaking havoc on the spirit of the city. The workers should be paid a variable bonus based on their performance and the profiuts the company makes. it is better to have a profit sharing plan rather than dole out assured freebies. This is why Unions get organized in the first place...assured benefits. Why should it be assured?

I ended up sharing my cab ride with a girl from Queens. She told me that it took her 5 f^%$king hours to get to Manhattan. Menahwile, 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue are closed for traffic because the rich people didnt want their poodles run over. I think Bloomberg needs to bring this to a close. A walk across brooklyn Bridge while it sounds very American, is hardly practical when done over 10 days and twice a day.

Looking forward to the strike fizzing out tomorrow

MP.
MachuPichu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:15 AM   #235
brooklynprospect

Likes (Received): 2

I live in Manhattan, and was taking the train with a friend of mine one Friday night last summer, a bit drunk but not too bad, when an MTA employee cleaning the floor in a station came up to me and literally asked me how much money I thought she made. I was polite enough to throw my little piece of trash directly into her bag rather than on the floor, so perhaps she felt comfortable with me?

Anyway, I guessed $35,000 a year. She gave me this disappointed look. My friend (from mainland China, working as an analyst on Wall Street) suggested $45,000 a year. Well she smiled and said that actually she made $60,000 a year for a 40 hour work week, and with overtime (1.5x pay after the first 40 hours) could make $80,000. She was quite young, and seemed like she just got the job. Anyway, all she did was sweep the floors and other menial tasks like that. She wasn't a train conductor or any kind of engineer. And she wasn't even sweeping very well, for god's sake.

All of a sudden, it clicked for me why NYC spends billions and billions of dollars(enough to build entirely new systems in most parts of the world) on a system which is the most rundown I've seen anywhere (and I've been to about 35 countries and lots of transit systems).

**** the union. They all deserve to be fired. They get paid far far more than the going rate for their skill-levels, and they don't even do a good job. Rude, slow... just look at overall spending, and the state of the system. There's a big disconnect between the two. European or Japanese workers might also get good salaries, but at least they're efficient.

If the city government had any real power, they'd destroy this cancer on the city.

brooklynprospect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:16 AM   #236
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynprospect
I live in Manhattan, and was taking the train with a friend of mine one Friday night last summer, a bit drunk but not too bad, when an MTA employee cleaning the floor in a station came up to me and literally asked me how much money I thought she made. I was polite enough to throw my little piece of trash directly into her bag rather than on the floor, so perhaps she felt comfortable with me?

Anyway, I guessed $35,000 a year. She gave me this disappointed look. My friend (from mainland China, working as an analyst on Wall Street) suggested $45,000 a year. Well she smiled and said that actually she made $60,000 a year for a 40 hour work week, and with overtime (1.5x pay after the first 40 hours) could make $80,000. She was quite young, and seemed like she just got the job. Anyway, all she did was sweep the floors and other menial tasks like that. She wasn't a train conductor or any kind of engineer. And she wasn't even sweeping very well, for god's sake.

All of a sudden, it clicked for me why NYC spends billions and billions of dollars(enough to build entirely new systems in most parts of the world) on a system which is the most rundown I've seen anywhere (and I've been to about 35 countries and lots of transit systems).

**** the union. They all deserve to be fired. They get paid far far more than the going rate for their skill-levels, and they don't even do a good job. Rude, slow... just look at overall spending, and the state of the system. There's a big disconnect between the two. European or Japanese workers might also get good salaries, but at least they're efficient.

If the city government had any real power, they'd destroy this cancer on the city.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:18 AM   #237
DonQui
BANNED

My mom went to college, went to professional school, and STILL makes less than these f*ckers.

To hell with them. I want what Reagan did to happend. Fire all the f*ckers just like the airport controllers got fired, make them re-apply for their jobs, and dock their pay until the damage they caused the city is repaid, and after that, refuse to increase their pay.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM   #238
DonQui
BANNED

They do a shit job. "oh we get mistreated." That I find detestable when people actually have the chutzpah to spit at conductors when they are pissed, but gimme a frickin' break.

DOWN WITH THE UNIONS!
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:31 AM   #239
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

I agree, my mother is in this union but fortunately she works in paratransit. There should not be any union in the public sector. mother****ers think its nimbysm as for reasons why things like the rest of the ind 2nd system was never built..nope your unions

on a side note I know I wasn't the only one who saw this coming after the same union had a damn near 2 month bus strike in westchester county and they were calling it the prelude to december.
Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:33 AM   #240
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynprospect

whats even crazy is that these cats keep upping are fares, but retired workers and workers who don't even have anything to do with the MTA anymroe are still getting free ez-passes and unlimted passes to ride the subways and commuter rails, while people are just getting poorer and poorer.

Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway