daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:40 AM   #241
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
I agree, my mother is in this union but fortunately she works in paratransit. There should not be any union in the public sector. mother****ers think its nimbysm as for reasons why things like the rest of the ind 2nd system was never built..nope your unions

on a side note I know I wasn't the only one who saw this coming after the same union had a damn near 2 month bus strike in westchester county and they were calling it the prelude to december.
Good to hear about your mom.

I feel sorry for those every day workers who did not want to strike but are too intimidated to cross the line. Just goes to show you that the union cronies are thinking about themselves and not the everyday worker they ALLEGEDLY are seeking to protect.

mrsmartman liked this post
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:53 AM   #242
HansonNY

Likes (Received): 1

60,000 a year?! Good lord.

This is really sad because it's the transit rider's who pay the price in the end. I heard stories of people with life threatening diseases not being able to make it to their doctors appointments and one man who missed his fathers funeral. I really feel bad for the people have to go from the Bronx to Brooklyn. It broke my heart and made me so angry that people (TWU and MTA) are fighting over the bottom line when these people and the city are suffering!

The people who deserve a pay raise in this city are cops, firefighters, and teachers.

HansonNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:57 AM   #243
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonNY
The people who deserve a pay raise in this city are cops, firefighters, and teachers.
don't read a couple of my posts in this thread.

Old December 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM   #244
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

those guys......the best way I can put it from my experience..and seeing some of this stuff..and having family that work in transit is...its like someone misinterpreting a biblical text and then getting people behind them. but you know were ranting too much, I know where all mad about this but damn what can we do?

Don I just saw your quote about teachers, and I wholeheartedly agree..I'm on my way to becoming a teacher hopefully in the city school system and I can say from my experience in the system as a minority, that there are just way too many teachers who don't want to understand where the majority of their minority students are coming from. while Student teaching i've had some experiences that gave me a bitter taste dealing with teachers who just showed up to get paid and leave, especially after they get tenure.
Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM   #245
Palal

Likes (Received): 8

Here are my thoughts on this:

Strike is not the answer. It's illegal, it's dangerous to everyone, and it cripples the economy. The workers think they're irreplacable. That's what the ATCs thought too, until Regan thought otherwise. Sure, skills are needed to drive trains, but that's about it. Anyone could do the job of a cleaner, or a "token booth clerk".

Also, I believe their 8% increase in wages is not only unrealistic, it's outrageous! 61K*1.08^5 = 90K!!!!!!! That's crazy! Most entry-level MTA planners barely make 50K, and this is with a Bachelor's and a Master's degree (per their requirements). Most unionized transit workers have no college education and are making more than those with education! I can never understand this reverse psychology!

What should be done? Give them an ultimatum. Either they return to work or you fire them. This will also give MTA a chance to get rid of conductors, which will have significant savings on labor costs and may advance the implementation of the new signalling system.

If you can't trust them to be law abiding citizens (and they're not at this point), how can you trust them to run a city?

Now if they were to do a "Japanese-style" strike, where everyone starts following safety regulations to the letter and essentially brings the system to a halt, that would have conveyed a similar message without all the pain and suffering (not that it's right to do this either, but at least it wouldn't be as painful).

Palal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM   #246
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

This strike is stupid all i hear is they get paid pretty well and someone said 60,000 a year for sweeping a floor thats alot they dont need a raise the extra money could go to better things. This is also another reason i will never depend on mass transit i know its New York but still look something like this and the youre stuck plus i love cars Anyway for New Yorkers sake and for the christmas holidays cmon end the strike lousy whiners and instead of being greedy bastards do your job and be thankful for having your nice cushy jobs instead of complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ning
OMG America is turning into France
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It cant be true cmon floridians dig a river we are starting our own country.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM   #247
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl
This strike is stupid all i hear is they get paid pretty well and someone said 60,000 a year for sweeping a floor thats alot they dont need a raise the extra money could go to better things. This is also another reason i will never depend on mass transit i know its New York but still look something like this and the youre stuck plus i love cars Anyway for New Yorkers sake and for the christmas holidays cmon end the strike lousy whiners and instead of being greedy bastards do your job and be thankful for having your nice cushy jobs instead of complaining.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It cant be true cmon floridians dig a river we are starting our own country.
The last strike was 25 years ago. Trust me, it is more reliable tha driving.

Old December 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM   #248
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Well apparently the transit strike is over....

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 04:09 AM   #249
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

http://www.voanews.com/english/2005-12-22-voa51.cfm

New York Transit Strike Ends, Talks Resume
By Maura Jane Farrelly
New York
22 December 2005

A very costly, three-day bus and subway strike in New York City has ended.

The executive board of the Transport Workers Union voted 36 to five to send union members back to work. It will take several hours for the subways and busses to be running normally again, but New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says he expects the city's public transportation system to be fully operational by the start of Friday's commute.

Union leaders and officials with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) still have not reached a contract agreement. The MTA's contract with its public transit employees expired last Friday. The main source of disagreement between the two sides has been pension benefits.

The MTA wants to increase the contribution made by all new employees from two to six percent.

Earlier this week, a judge imposed a $1 million-a-day fine on the Transport Workers Union, because it is illegal in the State of New York for public employees to go on strike on. New York governor George Pataki told reporters those will still stand. "The penalties and fines under the Taylor Law exist. They are automatic. They cannot be waived. They're not going to be waived. And I just think it's unfortunate that the rank and file TWU members who work so hard every day are suffering these penalties because their leadership ordered them out on an illegal strike," he said.

Negotiators for both sides of the dispute are meeting now at a hotel in New York. Because of a media blackout, however, details about those talks are not available.

More than seven million commuters had to find alternate ways to travel on Tuesday, when transit workers walked off the job during New York's busiest shopping season. Official numbers are not in yet, but holiday sales were down by as much as 70 percent in some parts of the city.

A WNBC/Marist poll showed that 55 percent of New Yorkers opposed the union's decision to go on strike, while 38 percent said they supported the decision.

This is the first time in 25 years that the biggest public transportation system in the country has suffered a strike. The last time New York transit workers walked off the job was 1980. That action lasted eleven days.

Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #250
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Public Transit in the New York Metro

I made this map for the "Google Maps" thread, and I thought it deserved its own. This map shows all subway lines, commuter railroads, and other public transit systems in the New York metro area. This map is only a small part of the metro, and the commuter rail lines continue for miles and miles beyond what is shown.

It would have been way too much work to put every station in, considering there are so many hundreds of them, but I did label the subway lines (if you can see them).

asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #251
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

not bad at all asohn, there are few links a mislabelings but still man thats a hell of a lot of time to make those lines and stuff.

did you use photoshop? or illustrator?

Old December 26th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #252
asohn

^ I actually used a program called inkscape. Its an open source Illustatrator rival. It has its downsides, but for a free program, it does more than enough. In fact, there are areas where I think it does rival Illustatrator.

For the subway lines and Amtrak/Metro-North/LIRR, I "traced" directly from SPUI's geographical Subway map available on nycsubway.org. That only took around a half hour.

The NJ Systems took another half hour, because that was done from scratch.

Feel free to point out any errors and I'll correct them. I also hope to eventually put in the stations.

Old December 26th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #253
mopc

Likes (Received): 11974

where can I download "inkscape" from?
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #254
mopc

Never mind, already found it!!!

Old December 26th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #255
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

Great map, but you missed the Staten Island Railway.
I'd love to see an expanded version of the map, covering the entire metro area.

mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #256
asohn

Forgot to mention that - I meant to. I couldn't find an accurate Staten Island Railroad map, and I'm not farmiliar enough with SIRR to plot it out from scratch.

Old December 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #257
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

^ Here's a scale map with the SIR on it: http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/sub...eSubwayMap.GIF
It's a bit old, but the SIR hasn't changed since.

mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #258
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

yeah I wanted to point that out about the SIR

another thing, where you have the metro north listed as running down the west side is an error, it takes the west bronx route using park av to terminate at gc

although at that point around spuyten duyvil, thats amtrak running down the west side, and amtrak also shares track usage with the hudson line (the line is sometimes 4 or 5 tracked in some cases)

and don't forget about the franklin avenue shuttle for the brooklyn irt lines

and the path connection going to hoboken!

ps..where can i find this inkscape? i'm very interesting in testing it out.

I would like to see an expanded version of the map too ashon if you ever decide to make one.

Old December 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #259
asohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
yeah I wanted to point that out about the SIR

another thing, where you have the metro north listed as running down the west side is an error, it takes the west bronx route using park av to terminate at gc

although at that point around spuyten duyvil, thats amtrak running down the west side, and amtrak also shares track usage with the hudson line (the line is sometimes 4 or 5 tracked in some cases)
Oops. Didn't mean that...colored it with the others by accident.
Quote:
and don't forget about the franklin avenue shuttle for the brooklyn irt lines
Completely forgot about that...
Quote:
and the path connection going to hoboken!
It's there, but it may be hard to see...
Quote:
ps..where can i find this inkscape? i'm very interesting in testing it out.
Just search on google - its a sourceforge project.
Quote:
I would like to see an expanded version of the map too ashon if you ever decide to make one.
I'm on it!
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #260
mopc

I´m lovin that inkscape!

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway