daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #2601
Filip7370
Modern transit...

Likes (Received): 5

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #2602
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
Great map, just like the other ones. I would make a stylistic remark, if I may. In places where one line (or two) intersects with two parallel ones, like F with 4/5 and 6 near Lexington Av/63 St Station, that one line should go above or under both parallel lines. It looks cleaner that way than when it crosses under one and above the other.

Also. I understand that you changed the color of B/D from an orange shade to a purple one (too much orange similar to yellow), but that could turn away people. Maybe you should make a version where local and express lines are of the same shade. I think it would de-clutter the map. Users of NYC subway maps are used to having three or four services in the same color anyway.
Thank you

I'll check the line intersections, didn't pay much attention to that.

I did try to make local and express services the same shade. B/D is the only case where the colors are quite different. Anyway I quite like it like this, there is already as you said so much orange and yellow that a new color can only help define B/D as a whole new line.

Since I am using the same color scheme and principles on all maps, instead of inventing a way to label local/express services and stations I considered express service as one line and local services as a distinct line, sharing tracks in Manhattan and having branches outside of it.

That way users can see immediately which train stops at their station.

mrsmartman liked this post
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #2603
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14633

Ok, I understand. I just thought it would be interesting to see this geometric design with a color scheme closer to the official one. Something like this:

j-biz, streetscapeer, mrsmartman liked this post
Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #2604
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

SAS April update, from MTA's Flickr page, all pictures from future 86th St station:

Arnorian, kyah117, mrsmartman liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #2605
zidar fr

@Arnorian

Yes, that way it looks much more like the actual map.
But I still think using the same color for express and local services is confusing.

Understanding and orientation can be improved adding new colors to differentiate the services, on the maps as well as on the platforms and trains.

You would never catch the wrong train in midtown Manhattan if service 1 had a different color than 2 and 3.

Alargule liked this post
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #2606
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

zidar fr maps were featured on Slate

j-biz, Arnorian, streetscapeer, mrsmartman liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #2607
dimlys1994

Zidar fr, I don't want to harm to you, but one NYC transport blogger did that. Here:
http://secondavenuesagas.com/2014/04...p-i-dont-like/

Old April 14th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #2608
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Pretty cool map!

Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #2609
Arnorian

It's funny that Newyorkers are unhappy with Jug's map of their metro being too removed from geographic accuracy, and Londoners are complaining that the one of theirs is too geographically accurate. Inertia is strong in these ones.

sweet-d, mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #2610
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
It's funny that Newyorkers are unhappy with Jug's map of their metro being too removed from geographic accuracy, and Londoners are complaining that the one of theirs is too geographically accurate. Inertia is strong in these ones.
New Yorkers would be horrified by the Vignelli map

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:55 AM   #2611
zidar fr

@dimlys1994
I've seen that one.

Well among millions of users, there must be some complaining, you just cannot please everybody.

Actually I am quite surprised there are so few complaints and so many people liking my map, I receive loads of supporting mail.

I had a short chat on a NYC radio show today, "The Ride Home with Pat Kiernan", if you want to hear my french-serbian accent when speaking english on a New York radio go straight to 23min 20sec. (april 14.)

http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...5083&f=2675023

dimlys1994, j-biz, mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #2612
sotonsi

Quote:
Londoners are complaining that the one of theirs is too geographically accurate.
Nope - not seen any complaints on that front.

and I'm the one making most of the complaints!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #2613
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Speaking about subway map and its geographical accuracy or not, here's an interesting NYT article of 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/ar...kers.html?_r=0

The Subway Map That Rattled New Yorkers

Quote:
No sooner had the Metropolitan Transportation Authority introduced a new map of the New York subway system on Aug. 7, 1972, than complaints flooded in. Many stations seemed to be in the wrong places. The water surrounding the city was colored beige, not blue. As for Central Park, it appeared to be almost square, rather than an elongated rectangle, three times bigger than the map suggested, and was depicted in a dreary shade of gray.
Quote:
On the eve of its 40th anniversary, the story of the Vignelli map reads like a cautionary tale of a gifted designer expecting too much of the public or, as my grandmother used to say, being “too clever by half.” But its fate may have been different had the M.T.A. implemented Mr. Vignelli’s original scheme correctly.
Quote:
But the M.T.A. only introduced one of four maps designed by Mr. Vignelli with the intention that, collectively, they would give passengers all the information they needed to navigate the subway. The diagrammatic System Map demonstrated how to get from A to B, but it was to be accompanied in each station by two Geographical Maps, one of the entire network and another of the local neighborhood, and a Verbal Map that explained in words how to go from place to place. Mr. Vignelli had never envisaged it being used without them.

Would his critics have felt differently had his System Map been reinforced by the other three? Perhaps, and even if they still disliked it, the others may have compensated for what they regarded as its shortcomings.

After all, there were other problems with the System Map. Mr. Vignelli had modeled it on the hugely popular 1933 diagrammatic map of the London Underground designed by Harry Beck, a freelance draughtsman who compiled it in his spare time. Beck’s “diagram,” as he called it, applied similar organizational principles, arguably with even greater rigor. Unlike him, Mr. Vignelli had included some geographical references, by identifying Central Park and areas like Manhattan and the Bronx. He has since regretted doing so, arguing that the map should have been wholly abstract, devoid of such distractions. But Beck’s design was gentler in style, particularly in its choice of typography, while Mr. Vignelli used the searingly modern font Helvetica.

The response to each map also reflected the architectural character of its city. London is such a huge, sprawling historical muddle that its citizens (like me) are generally relieved to see it simplified in Beck’s “diagram” and cheerfully forgive him for misrepresenting the wonky River Thames as being straight and Angel station as being level with Old Street, when it is further north. Whereas New Yorkers pride themselves on knowing their way around the orderly geometric grid of their streets, which explains why many of them felt they had nothing to gain from a shrunken Central Park and oddly located stations.

sweet-d, mrsmartman liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #2614
Arnorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Nope - not seen any complaints on that front.

and I'm the one making most of the complaints!
I think I saw some in the comments on Daily Mail's article.
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #2615
dimlys1994

From MTA:

Quote:
http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/trashcanremoval.htm

Trash Can Removal Pilot to Expand
April 14, 2014

Results of the ongoing pilot removing trash cans from subway stations support the expansion of the program to another 29 stations, while maintaining the trial at the current ten stations.

The pilot began in two stations in October, 2011 and expanded to ten stations in September, 2012. So far, the pilot stations have seen a reduction in trash volumes as well as several other benefits, including:
  • A 66% reduction in the number of bags collected
  • Reduction of bags frees cleaners to perform other duties
  • Rodent population either decreased or unchanged
  • Moderate-to-heavy litter levels decreased in pilot stations
The expansion calls for the removal of refuse cans at certain stations along the J line icon M line icon and Z line icon Lines. Baseline conditions will be established at each station, station cleanliness and trash collection will be monitored regularly, and track cleaning will be increased.

The decision to remove the trash cans was made in an effort to encourage customers to take with them any disposables that they carry into the system. Currently, trash collection and removal is a tremendous undertaking. Each day, about 40 tons of trash is removed from the system, collected from more than 3,500 trash receptacles, and approximately 50% gets recycled.

Eleven refuse collection trains cover 359 out of the system’s 468 stations with the remainder visited by refuse collection trucks. The refuse collection trains compete with passenger trains for space along the tracks and their overnight movements can be hampered by system maintenance which may require the closing of line segments.

Before we remove any station trash cans, we will post notices in all affected stations.

We're going to keep a close eye on these stations and report our findings to you once we've completed the pilot program and analyzed the results.

The following lists the additional 29 stations along the J line icon M line icon Z line icon lines as well as the ten stations currently in the pilot program

Bronx
  • 238 Street Station – 1
  • E. 143 Street Station – 6
Manhattan
  • 57 Street Station – F
  • Rector Street Station – 1
Brooklyn
  • 7 Avenue Station – F, G
  • Brighton Beach Station – B, Q
  • Cypress Hills – J
  • Crescent Street – J, Z
  • Norwood Avenue – J, Z
  • Cleveland Street – J
  • Van Siclen Avenue – J, Z
  • Alabama Avenue – J
  • Broadway Junction – J, Z
  • Chauncey Street – J, Z
  • Halsey Street – J
  • Gates Avenue – J, Z
  • Kosciuszko Street – J
  • Flushing Avenue – J, M
  • Lorimer Street – J, M
  • Hewes Street – J, M
  • Marcy Avenue – J, M, Z
  • Myrtle-Wyckoff Avenues – M
  • Knickerbocker Avenue – M
  • Central Avenue – M
Queens
  • 111 Street Station – A
  • 65 Street Station – M, R
  • 121 Street Station – J, Z
  • 111 Street Station – J
  • 104 Street Station – J, Z
  • Woodhaven Blvd – J, Z
  • 85 St-Forest Parkway – J
  • 75 St-Elders Lane – J
  • Myrtle Avenue – J, M, Z
  • Metropolitan Avenue – M
  • Fresh Pond Road – M
  • Forest Avenue – M
  • Seneca Avenue – M

Last edited by dimlys1994; April 17th, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #2616
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2799

I saw a totally wrapped L train this morning at 8th Ave. It was such a shock I didn't get a picture in time. I wonder how much revenue they get for that?
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #2617
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2090

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
...a totally wrapped L train...
Wrapped in what? Gift paper? Tortillas? Tacos?

j-biz liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #2618
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2799

In an advertisement, like such:

hemant01081989, mrsmartman liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #2619
citybus

Likes (Received): 230

I've never been on the New York Subway but I was wondering if there was any specific reasons why the 6 line wasn't extended to Co-Op City- Wikipedia lists funding problems as the cause but that's not a very satisfactory answer. I know New York's transit network has suffered from the Robert Moses effect, the inability to extend the subway outside of the four boroughs, political incompetence etc. But these factors don't seem to apply to Co-Op City. Looking at maps it just seems to be an easy win that should have been implemented years ago. If I'm wrong on this can someone suggest what the problem is?
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #2620
Arnorian

I think extending the 6 train would not be as important as extending some other services. You can see on the map bellow (click on it for a larger version) terminal stations that have high passenger numbers (Queens termini of 7 and E/J, Brooklyn termini of 2/5, L...). Extending their lines would be more beneficial.

Also, Lexington Ave. line runs above capacity as it is, adding new stations would make things worse.

CCs77, CNB30, j-biz, Bori427, mrsmartman liked this post

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway