daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #281
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

The MTA sucks...

mrsmartman liked this post
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #282
anayda1930

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid
The MTA sucks...
io non parlo l'italiano, non capisco niente il tuo parla, perche sei molto coglione!!

anayda1930 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #283
Overground

Likes (Received): 125

I'm shocked they still use them. I'll be in NYC in wintertime so I will be able to check out those swinging bars(excuse the pun)....lol...first hand.

Overground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #284
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

definitely agree with koolkid.-MTA does suck.
But see, the MTA will never install electronic doorsf (in the near future):
1) Expensive
2) Too many dishonest people in NYC, nvm the US
3) Staff are lazy and untrained (not well at least)
4) MTA never makes the right decision
And the panic bars that the MTA recently installed (In Emergency Push Open, Alarm Will Sound;Wide Entry Gates) are always misused. I always hear the alarm going off even when there is no emergency.

herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #285
koolkid

I like the way you think...

koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #286
koolkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anayda1930
io non parlo l'italiano, non capisco niente il tuo parla, perche sei molto coglione!!
não falo Italiano...
Pero un dia voy ha aprender...
No te entendo...

Bite me...
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #287
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

NEW YORK CITY | Subway

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

austrian, mrsmartman liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #288
hkskyline
Hong Kong

NYC can't build subway link unless it gets land

NEW YORK, Sept 7 (Reuters) - New York City cannot extend Manhattan's No. 7 subway to west Midtown unless a state authority sells it half of the land and certain development rights, a source familiar with the issues said on Thursday.

The No. 7 subway now stops at Times Square. Real estate experts say developers will not build in west Midtown without the new mass transit link.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg wanted to use a new financing arm to sell as much as $3 billion of bonds to pay for the subway extension, which would be the first in decades.

Though the city tried to strengthen the backing for the debt, most recently by pledging $1 billion of city funds over 10 years, financial experts say bondholders still want more assurances that there will be enough revenue to repay them.

The Republican mayor had hoped to entice developers to the desolate west Midtown area by offering reduced taxes. The tax revenue would then be used to help repay the new Hudson Yards bonds.

But the city cannot guarantee it can raise that money unless it controls development at the site, which runs from 30th Street to 33rd Street.

Otherwise, there is a risk that competing developers will build projects whose taxes cannot be used to repay the new bonds, said the source, who declined to be named.

"If (the city) doesn't give the bond market comfort that there will be no competition for the Hudson Rail Yards, it won't go ahead with the No. 7 line," he said.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs New York City's bus, subway and commuter train lines, owns the 26-acre site.

A spokesman for the agency, which got Bloomberg's proposal for the land deal in July, said there was no new information. A mayoral spokeswoman had no immediate comment.

Last week, the MTA got a new appraisal valuing the eastern half of the site at nearly $1 billion more than the mayor offered to pay for it.

New York City's $300 million bid does not include a new $400 million platform that would have to be built over the rail yards. The mayor also envisions a less dense development with affordable housing -- two profit-cutting factors the appraisal does not reflect.

The city also offered the MTA $200 million for development rights for the western half of the site. This would enable the city to back its new bonds by selling developers the rights to build taller buildings and transferring air rights.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old September 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #289
Promiscuous Boy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

The smell inside the subway is just uinbearable!

Promiscuous Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #290
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Boy, is that retractable platform edging I see in the foreground of this photo? What a fright that contraption was at some station around the 30 Streets -- unreal, dangerous I thought too.

elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #291
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Not so long ago, people were complaining that the platform gap is too large and they got out their measuring sticks to show it. I doubt the MTA will fix the problem after that news report came out.

Old September 26th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #292
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Not so long ago, people were complaining that the platform gap is too large and they got out their measuring sticks to show it. I doubt the MTA will fix the problem after that news report came out.
Larger than the one found in KCR?

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #293
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

The curve of some stations in NY and London is too much. I wonder how they can fix the platform gap problem without using expensive extendable ramps.

superchan7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #294
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02
Larger than the one found in KCR?
Recent incident in NYC : http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_236075037.html

Old November 26th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #295
herenthere
I♥H.K.

They really should put "Enter" and "Exit" signs over the turnstiles so ppl don't fight over which is theirs. This would clear up congestion and reduce injuries.

Old November 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #296
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
They really should put "Enter" and "Exit" signs over the turnstiles so ppl don't fight over which is theirs. This would clear up congestion and reduce injuries.
They dont have enough turnstiles to make those. Some stations only have 3, that's not enough to creat an extrance/exit thing. I agree that people use those Emergency exit as regular exit.....it really is annoying. Just the other day I was at Chambers and the alarm went on every minute. I think it's time they install those magnetic strips card.....

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #297
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
They dont have enough turnstiles to make those. Some stations only have 3, that's not enough to creat an extrance/exit thing. I agree that people use those Emergency exit as regular exit.....it really is annoying. Just the other day I was at Chambers and the alarm went on every minute. I think it's time they install those magnetic strips card.....
Magnetic strips card?

Old November 27th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #298
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Maybe he meant this?

New Subway Payment Method Is Tested

By THOMAS J. LUECK
July 12, 2006

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, working with Citigroup and MasterCard, began a six-month experiment yesterday that will allow subway riders to use specialized bank cards or payment tags instead of MetroCards. The test, paid for by the two financial service companies, is taking place in 30 stations on the Lexington Avenue line between 138th Street in the Bronx and Borough Hall in Brooklyn. At the stations, customers can tap or wave their Citi credit cards, MasterCard debit cards or bank-issued payment tags to gain entry through specially equipped turnstiles. The test is intended to “evaluate the potential of contactless payments to simplify fare payment for customers,” said Peter S. Kalikow, the authority’s chairman.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #299
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The trial on the 4/5/6 line with Mastercard still requires operating a turnstile after beeping the chip.

Old December 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM   #300
hkskyline
Hong Kong

NY subway union hails new pact one year after strike
Fri Dec 15, 7:01 PM ET
Reuters

Unionized workers of New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority's on Friday said an arbitrator has awarded them a new contract that "mimics" the strike-settling pact reached last year that the agency later spurned.

Late last year, a three-day strike by nearly 34,000 bus and subway workers wreaked havoc for commuters, tourists and Christmas shoppers and cost the city's economy more than $1 billion.

The strike ended after the MTA, the biggest U.S. mass transit agency, and Transport Workers Union Local 100 reached a draft accord that obliged the MTA to pay $130 million in retirement benefits if state lawmakers failed to tap the state pension funds.

The provision was bashed by Republican Gov. George Pataki -- and by many members of the riding public who had endured long walks in the bitter cold during the strike.

The union then voted down the deal by seven votes, partly because it would for the first time have made members pay for health care, though it did give pay hikes of 3 percent to 4 percent in each of the following three years.

The MTA rejected the union's pleas to reinstate the accord, and the battle finally went to binding arbitration.

On Friday, the union in a statement said: "The arbitration award handed down today by (George) Nicolau virtually mimics the pact that the TWU and MTA signed as a condition for ending the strike in December 2005."

Nicolau is perhaps best known for settling clashes between Major League Baseball and the players union.

The transit workers get the same raises and the pension and health care benefits in the strike-ending accord, the TWU said. It said Nicolau also awarded them retroactive provisions to reimburse members for the cost of benefits in 2006, ranging from retiree medical care to paid schooling.

A spokesman for the MTA, which the union said had wasted $2 million in legal fees in fighting the accord, commended the arbitrator for his "consensus award."

"This award reinforces the fairness of the Taylor Law's peaceful dispute resolution process and proves that last year's illegal transit strike was utterly unnecessary," the MTA spokesman said.

Public employees are barred from striking under the Taylor law, and the strike cost the union $2.5 million in fines, though some supporters believe it led to a contract with much better terms than the MTA's first offer, which included givebacks.

The state Supreme Court judge who ordered the TWU to pay the steep fines also sentenced its president, Roger Toussaint, to serve a few days in jail.

A union spokesman said it did not yet know whether Toussaint had been reelected in a election whose results were expected as soon as Friday.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway