daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:17 AM   #3461
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
and Phase 4 could use a redesign..
EXETENTION TO BROOKLYN LINKING IT TO UTICA AVENUE!!!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

mrsmartman liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:39 AM   #3462
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Extend it down and around back up to the E-line terminus at the WTC. That will fit the missing link from where the Els were demolished.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #3463
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
I was going to saw use the J train alignment instead of building a new tunnel... I think with rising water levels in lower Manhattan to have the alignment so close to the river is stupid... I think it should continue into Brookyln via the R train & A train to Utica Ave and a new line under Utica Ave to Flatlands. I would also like to see the C train extended to Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard and the line itself extended to York College in Jamaica.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #3464
Tower Dude

Fascinating!
Are you suggesting it piggy backs onto the Nassau street line, then piggy backs through the Montague tunnels, then express on the Fulton line to Utica avenue and then a new line on Utica.
If so I did not think of that, I thought that creating a second line to service Southern and North-east Queens, that would piggy back thought the Roosevelt Island tunnels and join up at 55th St and Travel down to Hanover Square, while the T service would divert and join up with the F train Again at East Broadway piggy back on the Rutger St. Tunnels and then Switch over to the Fulton line at Jay St.-Metro Tech leading then run express to Utica Avenue leading to its own line there.

The foreseeable problems with both scenarios,
A) The city deciding not to use the Fulton Line as the starting point for the Utica Ave Line and instead electing to extend the Eastern Parkway line in some fashion
B) The Tower Dude Proposal will require much more tunneling done in Manhattan also for new lines in Queens which will meet resistance from queens residence and the MTA because of the length of the new Route with the future addition of a Bronx spur finally it would take up capacity at Jay street, in the Rutger St. Tubes, and on the Culver lines; and for the sake argument if the city decides on a subway extension to SI and uses the IND's Second System Plan as a base board it would require the capacity on all of the aforementioned as the (potential) Fort Hamilton line and Narrows tubes would need the capacity.
C) The Nexis Plan would require less tunneling in Manhattan more in Brooklyn though the lack of "Shiny New" Stations in Lower Manhattan may (will) lead to cries and wailing about the disparate spending of the MTA leading to resistance of that plan. Also a connection from the BMT Fourth Avenue line to the Fulton St. Line could be very complicated, though a new station in downtown Brooklyn might be a good idea.

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:49 AM   #3465
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

The Fulton Center should be marble plated.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:34 AM   #3466
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
The Fulton Center should be marble plated.
Why?

Old January 5th, 2016, 08:01 AM   #3467
mrsmartman

MTA has built such a large station. They should find some artificial marble instead of tiles. It would improve the perceived cost effectiveness of the project.

Edit: Just like those art deco buildings in the old days.

Last edited by mrsmartman; January 5th, 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old January 5th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #3468
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
MTA has built such a large station. They should find some artificial marble instead of tiles. It would improve the perceived cost effectiveness of the project.
The project is completed though , so all that would be is a waste of money.

Old January 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #3469
mrsmartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
Yeah, just looking at the NYC mta website now, it looks like a cheap online shopping site where I'd probably get a virus from clicking on anything. Paris has a pretty ugly one as well. I really like montreal's (http://www.stm.info/en) website.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=219956

The bottom section looks a bit messy.
The navigation bar can be more attractive.
Perhaps they can also add the full name along with the MTA logo.

Last edited by mrsmartman; January 5th, 2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #3470
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

I have one question, with the 7 train extension, the NYC Subway has reached now 375.8 km (233.5 mi) of routes. But in the past there were more EL lines, some were replaced with subway lines, some other not, but also some new subway lines have been built. Does anybody know if sometime in the past the system was longer? If so, how long and when was the peak of lenght.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #3471
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
I have one question, with the 7 train extension, the NYC Subway has reached now 375.8 km (233.5 mi) of routes. But in the past there were more EL lines, some were replaced with subway lines, some other not, but also some new subway lines have been built. Does anybody know if sometime in the past the system was longer? If so, how long and when was the peak of lenght.
I suspect that the peak was reached about 1938, before the demolition of the 6th Avenue EL.

Old January 6th, 2016, 01:11 AM   #3472
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2558

To be fair though to help you sleep at night, one mile of Subway is worth about two miles of el in qual and quantitative value.

Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:32 AM   #3473
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
To be fair though to help you sleep at night, one mile of Subway is worth about two miles of el in qual and quantitative value.
Depends on the Subway and El. The Broadway El in Brooklyn/Queens is at least as good as the 14th St. Canarsie subway line.

Old January 6th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #3474
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Fascinating!
Are you suggesting it piggy backs onto the Nassau street line, then piggy backs through the Montague tunnels, then express on the Fulton line to Utica avenue and then a new line on Utica.
If so I did not think of that, I thought that creating a second line to service Southern and North-east Queens, that would piggy back thought the Roosevelt Island tunnels and join up at 55th St and Travel down to Hanover Square, while the T service would divert and join up with the F train Again at East Broadway piggy back on the Rutger St. Tunnels and then Switch over to the Fulton line at Jay St.-Metro Tech leading then run express to Utica Avenue leading to its own line there.

The foreseeable problems with both scenarios,
A) The city deciding not to use the Fulton Line as the starting point for the Utica Ave Line and instead electing to extend the Eastern Parkway line in some fashion
B) The Tower Dude Proposal will require much more tunneling done in Manhattan also for new lines in Queens which will meet resistance from queens residence and the MTA because of the length of the new Route with the future addition of a Bronx spur finally it would take up capacity at Jay street, in the Rutger St. Tubes, and on the Culver lines; and for the sake argument if the city decides on a subway extension to SI and uses the IND's Second System Plan as a base board it would require the capacity on all of the aforementioned as the (potential) Fort Hamilton line and Narrows tubes would need the capacity.
C) The Nexis Plan would require less tunneling in Manhattan more in Brooklyn though the lack of "Shiny New" Stations in Lower Manhattan may (will) lead to cries and wailing about the disparate spending of the MTA leading to resistance of that plan. Also a connection from the BMT Fourth Avenue line to the Fulton St. Line could be very complicated, though a new station in downtown Brooklyn might be a good idea.
I know the PATH+LEX concept is completely and utterly dead, but is it technically possible to extend tracks through the south end of the WTC campus to meet up with the RW at Cortlandt (something tells me no on this one) or the tail end of Phase 4 of SAS at Hannover to achieve a similar end?

And, while we're on the subject of integrating the two, since there are supposed plans to include another extension of the 7 with Gateway, why not go further and connect to PATH at 33rd - unless it's a technical impossibility?

phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #3475
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

STATEN ISLAND RAILWAY | Grasmere station

Reopening of station house

Source: Staten Island Advance (http://www.silive.com/eastshore/inde...e_opens_a.html)
Old January 6th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #3476
Tower Dude

NEW YORK CITY | Subway

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post

And, while we're on the subject of integrating the two, since there are supposed plans to include another extension of the 7 with Gateway, why not go further and connect to PATH at 33rd - unless it's a technical impossibility?

Ya I've often wondered about the exact details and the overall feasibility of the 7 extension myself but the 7 extension seems highly unlikely because it seems in most plans to be based on the very unlikely Penn Station South. Far more likely would be a reopening of the Gimble's passage after recent announcements of Penn Station Overhaul and whispers from Vornado concerning 15 Penn Plaza.

Old January 7th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #3477
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Ya I've often wondered about the exact details and the overall feasibility of the 7 extension myself but the 7 extension seems highly unlikely because it seems in most plans to be based on the very unlikely Penn Station South. Far more likely would be a reopening of the Gimble's passage after recent announcements of Penn Station Overhaul and whispers from Vornado concerning 15 Penn Plaza.
Yeah, that makes sense. However, can't (and shouldn't) the 7 extension happen, regardless of Penn South?

Last edited by phoenixboi08; January 7th, 2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #3478
Tower Dude

In theory though if its main function is to serve penn station then connection between the stations should be the utmost priority

phoenixboi08, mrsmartman liked this post
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:01 AM   #3479
Nexis
Dark Wolf

⁴ᴷ NYC Subway Timelapse - The Queens-bound 7 Line

Old January 7th, 2016, 02:28 AM   #3480
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Brooklyn-Queens streetcar proposal

Source: New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2486682)

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway