daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #3621
Anderson79

Likes (Received): 116

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Anderson79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:58 AM   #3622
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

BRAVO!!!!!

BRAVO!!!!!
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #3623
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

"New York City has the best subway system in the world."

Photo by: Office of the Governor

Last edited by mrsmartman; April 3rd, 2016 at 03:47 AM.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #3624
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2558

He looks like sir toppam hat on Titanic as he sees the flood waters approaching.

mrsmartman, Zaz965 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #3625
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

F Train via the G Line Action

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #3626
austrian
Once upon a time..

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
The Pride of Financial America

Thanks for this video. Really enjoy such pieces. Where you see everything neat and clean. If you know what I mean. Haha.

mrsmartman liked this post
austrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 01:02 PM   #3627
Hugh G. Reukshin

Likes (Received): 342

Why does New York have the crappiest Subway Cars I've ever laid eyes on. Now I'm not hating on NYC I absolutely love the city. It's just it's subway system is so filthy and less sophisticated than the likes of London, Berlin, Paris, Tokyo, Seoul, and etc...

Why is it that the richest city in the world can't spend 1 billion dollars to modernize it's subway cars???? They could even phase it out in 3-5 years so it costs them less per year (around 350 million a year).

Also I'm 100% sure it won't cost 1 billion dollars, more likely in the 300 million dollar range but it supports my case even more

"A sniper, after all, is the closest the military has come to creating a human killing machine. "

lucas_94 liked this post
Hugh G. Reukshin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 04:25 PM   #3628
00Zy99

New York IS replacing its subway cars as fast as it can. There have been new cars almost constantly on order since 2000.

I'm not sure you appreciate just how big the NYC Subway is. Each of those orders (none of which have replaced each other) has been in the billion-dollar range. We're talking about a couple thousand subway cars per order here, and if you price each one at $750,000, then you are looking at a LOT of money.

London and Paris have fleets that are similarly big and therefore of mixed ages. The MS 61 cars on Paris' RER are only now being retired after having been in service since 1969.

New York has some of the most rigorous operating conditions of any subway in the world. Trains operate around the clock (neither London nor Tokyo do for comparison), and there are both very short segments between stations and long stretches of express running. Trains have to climb hills and run through the weather near the ocean (one line runs on a bridge across Jamaica Bay).

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the subway tried to launch radically advanced (for the time), very expensive, rolling stock into service without extensive prototype testing. The less-than-optimal results, combined with earlier generations of failed prototypes, has lead to a "slow but steady" approach to rolling stock improvements. London and Paris also have similarly conservative design philosophies in their rolling stock fleets. Considering that all three systems are over 100 years old, and have resulting idiosyncrasies, this is somewhat to be expected.

xXFallenXx, streetscapeer, mrsmartman liked this post
Old March 31st, 2016, 05:20 PM   #3629
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10618

Spot on 00Zy99..spot on.

I think the main thing most outsiders looking in at the NYC subway do not realize is this as posted by 00Zy99;

Quote:
New York has some of the most rigorous operating conditions of any subway in the world. Trains operate around the clock (neither London nor Tokyo do for comparison)
Around the clock means the system is operational 24 hours a day. seven days a week. 365 days a year..

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

Zaz965, mrsmartman liked this post
bd popeye está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 06:32 PM   #3630
bd popeye

Wiki has an excellent page about the rolling stock of the NYC Subway;

New York City Subway Rolling Stock...|...Wikipedia

This page will tell anyone even more information on the NYC Subway Rolling stock;

NYC Subway Current Fleet

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2016, 07:19 PM   #3631
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

I think, in particular, his original comments are regarding the particular aesthetic of the rolling stock (exhibited by many other agencies across the country).

People tend to see aluminum/chrome skinned trains as antiquated, to say nothing of the refusal to adopt more streamlined profiles.

This, of course, is a matter of taste and is often conflated with notions of "modernization," which I find confusing.

Then again, this is why I don't understand why the MTA won't adopt an improved aesthetic for the rolling stock (probably has to do with established suppliers and the need to accomodate ancient signalling and other equipment).

Psychologically, I believe it would better serve as a symbol to passengers that tangible progress is being made. As it stands, people often miss how new some of these trains actually are...
Old March 31st, 2016, 07:43 PM   #3632
Miami High Rise

The steel is a cold and sterile look. New York is cold enough.

Old March 31st, 2016, 08:23 PM   #3633
00Zy99

"streamlined" trains would mean a loss in capacity. A small one, but on a system like NYC, every drop counts.

I have heard numerous comments on the new trains being good-looking and modern.

The appearance was chosen for being durable, low-maintenance, and easy to clean.

Old March 31st, 2016, 08:26 PM   #3634
Hugh G. Reukshin

Likes (Received): 342

The color and shape just speaks old and antique to me. Even if they're a few years old. No way in the world I'd ever agree to pay 750 grand for terrible looking subway cars like that. We are being embarrassed by many modern cities. Are they new sure okay but do they look that way? Absolutely not unless you look at it from the interior view.

"A sniper, after all, is the closest the military has come to creating a human killing machine. "

lucas_94 liked this post
Hugh G. Reukshin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:30 PM   #3635
Miami High Rise

MTA knows they've got you in the pocket. The system is at capacity at times and by some metrics. They don't have to people please. Easy to clean = sterile. Exactly my point. The system is utilitarian. The quality is high they just don't do gimmicks. How about the giant pensions and Union fees that take away half or more of the ticket price, was just in the news. Much higher expense than other world systems, including first world countries. Anyone wanna debunk or rationalize that?

bd popeye liked this post
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:32 PM   #3636
00Zy99

Like I said, the shape is dictated by the need to maximize space within the clearances available, which in turn were created 100 years ago or more. There is nothing that can be done about it short of completely re-digging the subway system.

As for the color, well, that's your opinion. I happen to think that the new rolling looks quite chic and modern. Maybe its an age thing. I'm in my twenties (roughly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
MTA knows they've got you in the pocket. The system is at capacity at times and by some metrics. They don't have to people please.
The public be d***ed, in other words? Yes, the system is at capacity at some points. But that doesn't mean that they don't have to keep the people happy. The subway is a reflection of the health of the city, and represents one of its faces to the world and to itself. It has to be at least somewhat decent.

Quote:
Easy to clean = sterile. Exactly my point.
Of COURSE something can easily be sterilized if it is easy to clean. But really, the two do not necessarily conflate. I'll point you to the interior of Cincinnati Union Terminal for an example of that. And I happen to believe that the current interior designs are not sterile. Could they better? Perhaps. But do they need to be? Not really.

Quote:
The system is utilitarian. The quality is high they just don't do gimmicks.
THAT. IS. THE. POINT.

NYC is trying not to waste money on pointless gimmicks. They have a very big and important job to do, and they do it. End of story.

Last edited by 00Zy99; March 31st, 2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:38 PM   #3637
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think, in particular, his original comments are regarding the particular aesthetic of the rolling stock (exhibited by many other agencies across the country).

People tend to see aluminum/chrome skinned trains as antiquated, to say nothing of the refusal to adopt more streamlined profiles.

I looked up Kawasaki metro/subway cars and I agree that they are not pretty. They aren't ugly either. I don't see what the big deal as long as the subway works.

.....as far as the subway being dirty. Ha...you younger fellows should have seen the NYC subway in the 70s into the early 90s.

The 1980s was a period of slow decline for the subways. Graffiti was everywhere, like on this 1960 R-27 car at Rockaway Parkway Yard.

Quote:
City: New York
System: New York City Transit
Line: BMT Brighton Line
Route: M
Car: R-30 (St. Louis, 1961) 8517
Photo by: Doug Grotjahn
Collection of: Joe Testagrose
Date: 10/25/1976

Quote:
Car: R-27 (St. Louis, 1960) 8020
Date: 10/6/1976

Quote:
Car: R-27 (St. Louis, 1960) 8179
Date: 6/1/1976

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Zaz965, mrsmartman, lsg97, xXFallenXx liked this post
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:35 AM   #3638
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
I looked up Kawasaki metro/subway cars and I agree that they are not pretty. They aren't ugly either. I don't see what the big deal as long as the subway works.

.....as far as the subway being dirty. Ha...you younger fellows should have seen the NYC subway in the 70s into the early 90s.
What I'm getting at is that people tend to view anything that isn't immediately recognizable as being new as being "un-modern" or "unclean".

I honestly have difficulty with understand what people mean when they talk about "modernizing" the rolling stock (because, for me, the actual signaling and other technologies are far more important); though, I think it's just that there's a weird preference for a particular aesthetic in trains in this country.

It is odd, but nothing more that that, to be honest.

bd popeye, lsg97, mrsmartman liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 03:25 PM   #3639
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrian View Post
Thanks for this video. Really enjoy such pieces. Where you see everything neat and clean. If you know what I mean. Haha.
The second Wall Street station in the video was the original subway. They should have built two additional tracks to Downtown where the majority of business activities took place.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 04:49 PM   #3640
bd popeye

Quote:
Line: IND 63rd Street
Route: F
Car: R-160A (Option 1) (Alstom, 2008-2009, 5 car sets) 9461
Photo by: Anthony J. Liccese
Date: 6/20/2013