daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #361
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

<^Your hand job's cracking me up, is it that weeny? I'm just kiddin'. Motorists flipping me the bird here become astonished (outrageous reactions in Vancouver, mind you) when I flick my wrist back at them, that's also why I'm laughing. Silly drama out there.

mrsmartman liked this post
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #362
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Im actually playing a game of dice. I mean cummon, what else can i be doing...

koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #363
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Wait for it...Here i come!
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #364
elkram
BANNED

I've always told folks I'm the slowest when it comes to sexual jokes (who cares), hence I'm laughing again -- dicy shtuff!
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #365
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
I know what you mean, I also wish they can get some type of ventilation down there because in the summer that place is hot as hell.
Yeah some stations practically become ovens during the summer. Some stations have fans, but it's only a hand full.

ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #366
elkram
BANNED

Years ago a friend and I went to Paris for a month while another other friend of mine went there too but stayed longer. My party, I guess, took the nice neighbourhoods where the metro stations were scented with some incense-like fragrance. My other friend complained about the stench in the metro there. I asked her if she ever smelled the station fragrance but she hadn't.

Does NY's still reek of urine when it's hot underground (I avoid summers there)?

Old August 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #367
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post
Years ago a friend and I went to Paris for a month while another other friend of mine went there too but stayed longer. My party, I guess, took the nice neighbourhoods where the metro stations were scented with some incense-like fragrance. My other friend complained about the stench in the metro there. I asked her if she ever smelled the station fragrance but she hadn't.

Does NY's still reek of urine when it's hot underground (I avoid summers there)?
Depends where you are. Run down stations will probably smell like urine and other almost unidentifiable odors. Some of the bigger stations don't reek that much if you don't go to the ends of the station. Most of the time the ends stink because homeless people live there.

ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #368
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Restoring Trust in Mass Transit
12 August 2007
The New York Times

Residents, commuters and visitors showed a tremendous amount of grace and forbearance last week when torrential rains closed much of the subway system. Despite uncomfortable heat and humidity, they piled into overburdened buses and found other ways to cope. Now that everyone has had a chance to cool off, officials need to work overtime to regain the public's confidence in mass transit.

That's especially critical now. The federal Department of Transportation is expected to announce this week whether New York will get necessary funding to relieve traffic congestion. For months, the Bloomberg administration has been selling the benefits -- including cleaner air and less gridlock -- of charging a fee to use the city's busiest streets. But if people are to be persuaded to forget the car and use mass transportation, they'll need more than the financial disincentive of the proposed $8 fee for cars.

At the very least, commuters will need to believe that there will be adequate numbers of express bus and ferry routes that do not now exist, and that subways will be dependable. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs mass transit, will also need to do a better job communicating with the public. Of all the indignities suffered last week, among the worst was feeling that no one cared enough to keep riders informed. It's past time to move the system into the 21st century, to figure out ways to send text messages to people who sign up for such a service, and to borrow ideas from other systems like the Paris Metro -- which is just about as old as the New York system, but offers riders electronic signage on platforms that informs them precisely when the next train will arrive. Parisians are thus disinclined to mob trains, knowing another is just behind.

If Washington comes through, state and city elected leaders, including Gov. Eliot Spitzer, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, will begin assembling a commission to come up with a plan that relieves gridlock. The inclination will be to load up the panel with the usual suspects. We hope they fight that urge, and include independent voices who can speak for New Yorkers who want a daily commute they can count on and timely information when things go wrong.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #369
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I love the New York subway, it has something so... New York about it.
By modern world standards, the esthetics are simply repulsive and there are difficulties throughout the system when it rains. Full of rats, but the cars are modern.

chris9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #370
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9 View Post
By modern world standards, the esthetics are simply repulsive and there are difficulties throughout the system when it rains. Full of rats, but the cars are modern.
Even if New York Subway may have an overall air of repulsiveness to it, it also has a tradition of interesting station design and I definitely sense a recent attitude towards preserving the historic designs. There are also numerous examples of great modern works of arts in the stations.

Subway Style: http://www.transitmuseumeducation.or...le/launch.html

metrobits.org
| Follow metrobits.org on Twitter

micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #371
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I hope NYC can make it. Nowadays I keep hearing how pricy the place has finally become, so the sooner they can afford their improvements there, the better.

I'd cheer for NYC any day.

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #372
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7298

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9 View Post
You have to consider that it's the fourth oldest subway in the world, after London, Budapset (I don't get it), and Boston, so you have to consider that it's going to be naturally detereorating. The problem is that they're spending money in the wrong places. Rather than constantly overbuying rolling stock that never seems to work properly or the same car made differently (R143 vs R160, basically the same thing), they need to improve the stations, mainly aesthetic. My biggest problem is the exposure of express tracks, it just looks so ugly. They could put up a fake wall or "arch" to make it look like the stations on the London Underground.

geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #373
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

What's wrong with Budapest being the second city to get a metro? Obviously they were ahead of their time!

city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #374
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2089

Budapest was the second most important city in the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy at the time - along the most powerful nations on the European mainland. The early opening of the subway, therefore, isn't that surprising as it may seem according to more recent political situations.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #375
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
My biggest problem is the exposure of express tracks, it just looks so ugly. They could put up a fake wall or "arch" to make it look like the stations on the London Underground.
In addition to others' comments on the aesthetics underground there in NYC, I read (do sense) what you're getting at. But after a few times riding the trains underground there, I got used to it -- I dunno, something to do with some 'New York state of mind', I guess . . .

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #376
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7298

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
What's wrong with Budapest being the second city to get a metro? Obviously they were ahead of their time!
I just never understood it.

geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #377
Pallo_3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

New York Subway is the best in the world
as it's the only one to have 24 hour services

if i had to choose between clean but awful service
and dirty but excellent service i would definitely go for the second choice

Pallo_3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #378
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Rather than constantly overbuying rolling stock that never seems to work properly or the same car made differently (R143 vs R160, basically the same thing), they need to improve the stations, mainly aesthetic.
First of all, there's a very good reason there are separate R143 and R160 stocks. Former IRT lines (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) have smaller tunnels than former BMT/IND lines, and cannot support the same size of train as the rest of the system. Therefore, you have to build two different trainsets for the different systems.

Also, when you are in a city that has 8 million within the limits (most of them using the Subway at some point during a given year, a good portion daily), 20 million within the metropolitan area, using antiquated infrastructure (especially electrical systems) and still reeling from years of neglect (i.e. the 1970s), aesthetics are going to be the last priority on the system. Besides, the New Yorker's perspective is that it doesn't matter how rough around the edges it may be, as long as it works quickly and effectively.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #379
leo_sh

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
The diashow is very nice.

leo_sh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #380
beta29