daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2016, 05:28 PM   #3961
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Wow. That is one map crammed to the max with information. Cognitive overload ftw.
what do you mean, specifically speaking?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #3962
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

IMG_0696 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0440 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0446 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0570 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0575 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0580 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

20160922_072816 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyp...xy9DssTDb75Luw

and my Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:46 AM   #3963
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Out of curiosity, is it possible that the 42nd Street Shuttle be re-automated with ATO or perhaps unmanned ops as part of the upgrading?

EDIT: Or now that I think about it, perhaps get rid of the trains and pedestrianize the shuttle (with travellators). That way, maybe an uninterrupted Fulton Center-like development can extend from 2nd Avenue (after SAS Phase 3) all the way to 8th Avenue.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by luacstjh98; October 23rd, 2016 at 03:44 PM.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:03 PM   #3964
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

That's been discussed and proposed time and again for the last 60 years.

It never works out.

Travellators would be too expensive and disruptive to install and would lack capacity.

Automation would be difficult to retrofit, and would upset the unions too much.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 03:17 AM   #3965
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Sept 2016 saw 7 days with subway ridership over 6 million up from 4 days in Sept 2015.

https://twitter.com/MTA_NYCT_Vocero/...43566653763584

"W" train signs are being prepared. Train is rebooted 2016.11.07.

https://twitter.com/MTA_NYCT_Vocero/...69759353430016
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #3966
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by samer.riad View Post
1.6M daily commuters in NY... Not Bad!
Can anyone confirm this?
That's inaccurate. See here:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/
Old October 29th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #3967
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

New R179 test train teaser:

Photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=c46cc73f89

Miami High Rise liked this post

Last edited by Fan Railer; October 29th, 2016 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added link for photos
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 06:56 AM   #3968
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

IMG_0741 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0803 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0825 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0840 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0933 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0953 by GojiMet86, on Flickr
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #3969
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
New R179 test train teaser:

I'm happy for any new rolling stock, but not particularly excited for the R179, it's barely differentiable from the R160, of which there are or will be 5x more after full rollout of all the only couple hundred R179. The 211 will be the next thousand pack, that will have a big effect. And hopefully open gangway prototypes, and the USB and mains power outlets all go okay.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 05:47 PM   #3970
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Video: See inside a Second Avenue Subway station as the MTA runs test trains
http://ny.curbed.com/2016/10/31/1347...est-trains-mta

Quote:
BY AMY PLITT OCT 31, 2016, 9:46A

Assuming the MTA can actually make good on its promise that the Second Avenue Subway (or portions of it, at least) will be up and running by the end of December, we’re now just about two months from service finally beginning on the long-delayed line.

And now, thanks to a YouTube clip, you can actually get a peek inside one of the new stations at 86th Street (h/t Stephen Miller)—there’s a platform and stairs and signage and everything! (It looks similar to the new Hudson Yards station, unsurprisingly.)

According to YouTube user Bryan M. Wade, who uploaded the video, the clip shows the following:

This northbound test-train entered 86th Street on the uptown track, paused and then proceeded north past 96th Street into the layups. Mayor Lindsay broke ground on that section in 1972. The test-train then headed back from the layups southbound on the uptown track, crossed over to the downtown track south of 96th and then proceeded south into 86th Street. After a short pause at 86th it continued south towards 72nd Street.
So this must mean it’s becoming a reality, right? Well, not so fast: there are a battery of tests that the transit authority must perform before service can start, and the independent engineer who’s reviewing the line’s progress has repeatedly expressed concern about timing. At a recent MTA board meeting, the engineer, Kent Haggas, said that the 86th and 72nd Street stations may not be ready to open by December.

But still, it’s hard not to get a thrill seeing one of these stations finally look like, well, a station after so long. Check out the clip below:

Edit: The user removed the video for some reason, but Curbed took a screenshot of the station:

Last edited by bodegavendetta; October 31st, 2016 at 10:04 PM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 10:50 PM   #3971
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

READ FIRST:
On my second try today, 11/1/16, I was able to grab the remaining clips I wished to get of the R179 track testing in the Rockaways. Here is the full compilation of video of the test train I have from both dates, 10/28 and 11/1.

First, we have the shots of the train moving, which provide good sample sound for the propulsion. Basically, the pitch changes follow the same profile as the R160B Siemens sets, but the actual sound itself is of a different type.

Next we have the set walkdown @ Broad Channel. And interesting thing to note is that one truck in the set, the number 2 end truck of 3010, is a trailer truck (unpowered). All other trucks are motorized. Whether this is purely an instrumental testing truck, or if this feature will be part of the order remains to be seen. LoL at the employee joking about dropping the window and telling buffs to stop filming =P

And finally, we have clips of the test train actually on the test track, shot from other A trains passing the test track area. Enjoy the action, and stay tuned for clips from system-wide clearance testing which is to happen soon, hopefully =)

dimlys1994, metr0p0litain, mrsmartman liked this post
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:20 PM   #3972
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Factually, this is correct, the same way a statement saying that there are more than 2 billion people in the world would be correct.

Miami High Rise, mrsmartman liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:32 PM   #3973
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
what do you mean, specifically speaking?
Probably that on top of the map that is renowned for its clutter*, you have text boxes that take up the small amount of empty space in that area to spell out what is graphically represented already by the map.

*The street map, the parks, the neighbourhoods, borough boundaries, the points of interest, the overlapping nature of it all (Kick Map does it far better), general issues with the system that make it hard to map (big and complex) coupled by the desire to have a map that is geographic rather than diagrammatic adding all sort of kinks and curves...
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:58 AM   #3974
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Probably that on top of the map that is renowned for its clutter*, you have text boxes that take up the small amount of empty space in that area to spell out what is graphically represented already by the map.
Are you suggesting that the map could do without a legend? How will passengers know service patterns during nights and weekends?

Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:00 AM   #3975
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:

An update on construction of new Arthur Kill station on the Staten Island Railway

It is still not clear when this station will open, but the artist who did the art for the station has posted some photos of the art going in over the summer. This will be the nicest railway station in Staten Island.

http://jennalucente.com/arthurkill

Old November 3rd, 2016, 02:43 AM   #3976
sotonsi

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the map could do without a legend? How will passengers know service patterns during nights and weekends?
It seems you have suffered under the cognitive overload talked about - there's so much information on the map that you pick a different issue than the OP, who was specifically referring to this extract you posted:
Quote:
the subway map now shows where trains are skipping stops due to construction

The boxes are explained by the diagram. It's overkill clutter to have them.

But while we're on the subject of the different service patterns during peaks, nights, weekends, etc that need a complex legend, it shows why extraneous information needs to be reduced.

The network is complex enough to navigate as it is without being told:
  • that the reason why these Brooklyn stops are monodirectional is due to construction that will end sometime next year (could be January, could be December - totally useless)
  • that there's a cemetery next to the Fort Hamilton Pkwy
  • that there's a road called the For Hamilton Pkwy that runs between the stations called 'Fort Hamilton Pkwy' (duh!)
  • that the area near Brighton Beach station is 'Brighton Beach' (see also Coney Island, Bay Ridge and Sheepshead Bay).
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:44 AM   #3977
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
It seems you have suffered under the cognitive overload talked about - there's so much information on the map that you pick a different issue than the OP, who was specifically referring to this extract you posted:

The boxes are explained by the diagram. It's overkill clutter to have them.
I am not responding to the OP but to you. You said "on top of the map that is renowned for its clutter" - that is why I thought you were referring to the legend, which is on top of the map.

Now it seems you were using "on top" not in a location sense but in a layer sense. So it's not cognitive overload but semantics.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:58 AM   #3978
sotonsi

Quote:
I am not responding to the OP but to you. You said "on top of the map that is renowned for its clutter" - that is why I thought you were referring to the legend, which is on top of the map.
I get you now.

However, that you associated the legend with 'cognative overload', even though it's rather essential, shows that there's a problem with the official map.

And it's still bad when on the ground, as Benjamin Kabak from Second Ave Sagas mentions when talking about the new signs for the W train: "The signage describing service patterns, as you can see, remains as incomprehensible to the untrained eye as ever."
Old November 3rd, 2016, 02:43 PM   #3979
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
And it's still bad when on the ground, as Benjamin Kabak from Second Ave Sagas mentions when talking about the new signs for the W train: "The signage describing service patterns, as you can see, remains as incomprehensible to the untrained eye as ever."
How about having platform- or mezzanine-level signage, describing each and every station a particular train stops at? Perhaps it could even be an electronic display updating for changes at rush hours, weekends, and late nights, or even service reroutes caused by planned works or disruptions. Basically FIND, but on platforms.

"Express" and "local" matters shit to the regular tourist when I just want to know just exactly which trains can bring me to 49th Street, for example.

Pretty much every other subway in the world does it, anyway.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.

Last edited by luacstjh98; November 3rd, 2016 at 04:05 PM.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:08 PM   #3980
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
The network is complex enough to navigate as it is without being told:
  • that the reason why these Brooklyn stops are monodirectional is due to construction that will end sometime next year (could be January, could be December - totally useless)
As someone who's visited NY a few times, can I put in my two cents and say that I agree with this. The lines make it clear which direction certain stops are skipped. Saying that though,
Quote:

• that there's a cemetery next to the Fort Hamilton Pkwy
  • that there's a road called the For Hamilton Pkwy that runs between the stations called 'Fort Hamilton Pkwy' (duh!)
  • that the area near Brighton Beach station is 'Brighton Beach' (see also Coney Island, Bay Ridge and Sheepshead Bay).
As a tourist I appreciated that those were there. I didn't have a map, but you can navigate a lot of the city just using the subway map and thats what I did. I'm not saying that it is the best for locals, but I suspect a lot of locals just glance at the map occasionally, and maybe the boxes in your first point make it quicker for people to see that engineering works are still ongoing.

DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway