daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #4201
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

When I write about how New York subway needs platform screen doors, it is - among other things - to prevent incidents like this

dimlys1994, carl_Alm liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #4202
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

R160 (G) and Second Avenue Subway

IMG_4831 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4855 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4843 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4846 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4865 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4834 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4820 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4829 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4875 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4879 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4904 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4908 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4906 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4909 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4912 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4938 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4942 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4944 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4952 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4955 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4959 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4963 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4966 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4974 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4977 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4978 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4981 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4985 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4988 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_4996 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyp...xy9DssTDb75Luw

and my Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #4203
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
When I write about how New York subway needs platform screen doors, it is - among other things - to prevent incidents like this

Given the gaps between railcars and the numerous other possible access points, platform doors will do little to stop deliberately stupid idiots like this. Improved security monitoring and increased penalties would be more useful. They should be hunting down that dumb-ass's IP and matching him to the video so they can toss him in jail.

tboy800, bd popeye, Ultramatic liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #4204
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Given the gaps between railcars and the numerous other possible access points, platform doors will do little to stop deliberately stupid idiots like this. Improved security monitoring and increased penalties would be more useful. They should be hunting down that dumb-ass's IP and matching him to the video so they can toss him in jail.
There's a face reveal in his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyp...xy9DssTDb75Luw

and my Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #4205
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
This guy is a British 17year old who calls himself an "urban explorer" and trespass all over the place. I came across him when one of his videos showed a guy who had died doing the same in Paris (the video was from other occasion, not from the accident which involved other person).

Anyway, he has his face all over the place and an Instagram account. So he could be traced easily I guess. This sort of stunt is becoming more popular among "daredevil" Youtubers, but I guess European teens underestimate how much legal trouble they might get themselves into pulling their stunts in US.

It is quite a stupid thing to do, dangerous, interferes with service. So maybe platform doors would prevent that. Or electric locks on train car doors that open automatically in case of an emergency, coupled with higher fences on elevated station roofs to prevent people using them as jumpboards.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #4206
00Zy99

Well, somebody should call the police.

bd popeye liked this post
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:37 AM   #4207
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2558

They must have done a deep cleaning or something, because those R32s are looking so much shinier than I've seen them. Especially the details around the rivets/roofs etc.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #4208
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10618

Quote:
Well, somebody should call the police.
Yes I agree..to protect him from his own stupidity. One day in the Daily News there will be a headline.."Subway train Surfer mangled by the R tain"..yep..

..and the R 32 cars look really , really clean.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

Last edited by bd popeye; January 16th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
bd popeye está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #4209
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

I can't help but think that SAS Phase 3, if ever built, should come standard with CBTC and platform doors. If they don't want the full height designs, they can just go with half height gates like what the Japanese have.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #4210
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
I can't help but think that SAS Phase 3, if ever built, should come standard with CBTC and platform doors. If they don't want the full height designs, they can just go with half height gates like what the Japanese have.
....phase 1 has CBTC installed alongside the legacy signaling system, AFAIK.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #4211
LTA1992

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Woah.

I can't help but think someone feels personally offended here at the thought of a 125th crosstown... Here's some whataboutism - if you think being forced to take a bus detour is bad, you might want to try living in Asia for a while. Train stations everywhere but they're all super-packed. For one, the average commuter at MTR Admiralty station can only expect to take the fifth Kowloon-bound train from when he reaches the Tsuen Wan Line platform, and they run at much better frequencies than the NYC Subway.

Here's an idea. Push 125/Lex east so that it's nearer to 2 Avenue as opposed to straddling Lexington and Park Avenues. The station is probably deep enough to allow escalators from the railroad north end of the platforms to bridge the gap to Park Avenue and Metro-North.

Flying junction between the 125th Crosstown (stopping only at 125/Lenox and 125/St. Nicholas beneath the ABCD platforms, and feeding into the layup tracks at 135) and the Bronx-bound SAS, which takes a sharp turn to follow Third Avenue.

Shuttle runs between the third platform at 125/Lex and 125/St Nicholas or 168/Broadway via CPW local, with some peak hour short-turn T trains extended up to 168/Broadway.
Not offended. When you read about the history of this system (and thus the history of modern New York City), you eventually run into two books. 722 Miles and The Routes Not Taken. On one side, you see how much work it took to get the subways built in the beginning. The sacrifices that had to be made. The cost, and the issues. On the other hand, you get routes that are not built, or led to the construction of existing ones. It wasn't until I read those that I began to see consequences of shortsightedness. From the words of the planners (like John Delaney and Daniel Turner [creator of the original SAS plan and the never built Metropolitan Transit System for the NY Metro Area]), the politicians (Had no idea who people like Henry Bruckner, Major Deegan, and James J. Lyons, and others were until I read those), and the residents. I have come to realize two things as a result. The People will screw themselves over constantly. Which is why the Flushing Line was never extended to 221st Street in Bayside. Secondly, put the reigns in the hands of Politicians, and nothing will get done. And if something does, it will not be what we need and a waste. We know that there is a HUGE housing crisis in this city. I'm homeless as well and it takes far too long for housing to open up. We KNOW The Bronx has vast swaths of neighborhoods that lost transit, or was built around transit that never came. They need the new service which then opens the door for new housing being built.

Buses aren't bad. But they are no substitution for already established rail service wich is what the former Bx55 LIMITED was created for. To replace the remaining section of Third Avenue Elevated. Hell, in some cases {Lexington Avenue in Bklyn), Elevated service was never replaced. Look at Third Avenue today. There are Three NYCHA developments with the largest being around 169th Street. The Hub, Tremont Avenue, and Fordham Road commercial districts. Numerous schools. Crotona, Tremont, Claremont, and Bronx Parks in short walking distance. Crotona having a public pool. Perfect for summertime. Fordham University as as well. Transit means better connectivity. Transit means better Quality of Life. Transit opens more oppertunities for employment and places of living. Harlem has all those things already. Third Avenue and the Southeast Bronx do not. We have an oppertunity to further the improvement The Bronx has been receiving since all the empty lots have been in the process of redevelopment all over the borough. A lot are along are near Third Avenue. This is also a chance to correct past mistakes so that the fastest growing of the five boroughs can handle it's future population.

My frustrations come from the repetition of past mistakes. i.e.: Burke Avenue extension of the Concourse D had funding. But it was redirected to par fir the Circumferential (Belt) Parkway. Eventually leading to the purchase of the NYW&B in use by the 5 service today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
***Haven't hit 10 posts yet, so I had to delete it***
Your map shows the basic ideas I've long held for Bronx SAS service. Except that the South Bronx Line should break away at 163rd Street, following the Second Phase IND route plan. Providing transfers to the 6 at Hunts Point Avenue as well to create extra capacity for those getting on after that point who may transfer to the T at 138 and Third. Transfers to the 2 and 5 around Intervale Avenue for people who want to get to the North Bronx as well as those who want to "bypass" transferring at 3rd and 149th. This creates ample room for passengers south of that point for both the Lex and Lenox Lines. However, this map continues to show the issue with 125th Street service. If each pair of tracks can carry 30 trains per hour theoretically, then why is it that either passengers from the Central or East Bronx won't have direct downtown service? That is a waste of passenger throughput and would, in fact, turn people off to using it. Secondly, visibly seeing the Third Avenue Line, even if it does end at Fordham Plaza as a first phase (which this map ends at St. Barnabas Hosp one station south), shows why a 125th Street crosstown will not do. The D is packed by Fordham Road in the morning rush (which is why I take the Bx9 to Kingsbridge Road if I go to work from her house near the Bronx Zoo. Its one stop north, but I get a seat as I work in Brooklyn). All those passengers that would need to cram in their would have another alternative that would hit all the same Midtown destinations the 6th Avenue Line does. Extend the line up to Webster and BPB before cutting through Bronx Park to Co-Op City for another transfer to the 2, and we have a line sucking in passengers from the East and West that would normally utilize crosstown buses to the 2, 4, 5, and D. Now those crosstowns will have sufficient capacity to not only have ample room for those heading into upper Manhattan, but increase overall reliability of the routes. In doing that, with the extra Bronx transfers, residents in Harlem should have no issue getting a train on the first attempt. Or a seat for that matter.

Quote:
Arnorian, I don't think that will give adequate coverage to the Bronx. I would at LEAST put the Dyre Ave Line into the SAS. And extend the Third Ave Line further north.
That's no longer possible. New developments have long blocked the former route of the New York Westchester & Boston right of way it would have used. Besides, the new lines to the Central and East Bronx will do the needed job.

Quote:

All signals on the new lines can handle CBTC. Futureproofing for when they lines eventually get them. The only things they would really need to add are the recievers on the tracks when the retrofit happens. The 7 extension was built like that as well, but the line was already in the process of CBTC conversion. Which, BTW, the northernmost section of Flushing CBTC should become active sometime this year.
You all know the drill.

mrsmartman liked this post
LTA1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #4212
00Zy99

The land is owned by the MTA. They have provisions for the Westchester still hanging around deep in the archives.

Old January 16th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #4213
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
This is the same guy that broke in to West Ham and Arsenal Stadium at night and climbed to the roof.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #4214
LTA1992

Quote:
The land is owned by the MTA. They have provisions for the Westchester still hanging around deep in the archives.
But there are literal buildings on one old elevated ROW in places. Right across the street from the old 180 Street station, there is a new apartment building standing right where the ramp down to the Amtrak ROW used to be. Secondly, while I will say that connecting Dyre Avenue to SAS would allow all 5 service to serve WPR (and possibly bring back Thru-Express service to Gun Hill Road), a transfer to the Third Avenue Branch at either Burke or Allerton Avenues would take passengers of that line and onto the much faster route downtown. It would also remove service from the southeast Bronx.
Old January 17th, 2017, 02:33 AM   #4215
jay stew

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

This is what happens when you play too much Subway Surfers on your phone.
jay stew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 02:50 AM   #4216
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
But there are literal buildings on one old elevated ROW in places. Right across the street from the old 180 Street station, there is a new apartment building standing right where the ramp down to the Amtrak ROW used to be.
Those couple buildings are on leases to the MTA. They can be removed if necessary.

Quote:
Secondly, while I will say that connecting Dyre Avenue to SAS would allow all 5 service to serve WPR (and possibly bring back Thru-Express service to Gun Hill Road), a transfer to the Third Avenue Branch at either Burke or Allerton Avenues would take passengers of that line and onto the much faster route downtown. It would also remove service from the southeast Bronx.
This is very confusing. It took me a while to determine that you meant White Plains Road and not Wyoming Public Radio. I'm not sure what you are saying with the rest.
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #4217
LTA1992

Quote:
Those couple buildings are on leases to the MTA. They can be removed if necessary.

This is very confusing. It took me a while to determine that you meant White Plains Road and not Wyoming Public Radio. I'm not sure what you are saying with the rest.
Um...what? No they can't be destroyed. First off, you can't just destroy housing. The eminent domain law doesn't allow it. If you are going to destroy buildings, you need to compensate the residents plus business owner. Secondly, if there were ANY plans to build there, the MTA wouldn't have allowed it. But there are several new apartments down the line. Three to be exact. Followed by an empty lot, then the West Farms Bus Depot. Third, the MTA needs every bit of revenue it can get. Real estate is one of them. Fourth, the MTA is a public service entity. It would be counter intuitive to destroy housing for the public in the areas where the existence of rapid transit is a lifeline. There is absolutely no chance for that idea to come to fruition without pissing off a lot of people in an area where most are below the poverty line AND housing is severely limited because there just isn't enough. The waiting list for NYCHA is 10 years. Affordable Housing units are opened much faster, but there is still a lottery process. In fact, I think those apartments were affordable housing, actually. I remember seeing on NYC Housing Connect about apartments in Van Nest a few years back. There is no chance the MTA is gonna have those new housing units removed.

I will explain clearer. If there was any chance that the MTA would destroy those three apartment structures and a part of their bus depot to connect SAS to the current Dyre Avenue Line, it would not do much to relieve East Side congestion. The Dyre Avenue Line doesn't serve that many riders. When the MTA first proposed an SAS connection via the NYW&B as per the 1968 Program For Action expansion plans, it also included a conversion of the Pelham Line to B Division service (All Dual System structures can handle B Division trains. The Platforms just need to be shaved back when it comes to former IRT lines) and a parallel subway line to the MNRR tracks on Park Avenue. This was during a time when SAS was planned to have even less stops, a Rich Mans Express so to speak, and run with automated high speed trains (R44 and R46). The safety buffer was also not as big. So you could reasonably fit three services onto a pair of tracks.

Today, that isn't possible. Unless in special cases (60th Street Tunnel), the MTA has a policy of no more than two services per pair of tracks. After the 1995 Williamsburg Bridge Accident, the safety buffer was increased. Further reducing the room for a third service on pairs of track unless in special cases. That would reduce service to levels too small to meet needs.

If there were any possibility of the old NYW&B connection to be rebuilt so SAS can replace 5 service along the Dyre, then either a Third Avenue Line (which could provide a transfer to the WPR at either Burke or Allerton Avenue stations on its way to Co-Op City) or a Lafayette Avenue (South Bronx) Line would need to be axed.

So while you are increasing service in areas that already have it, you are taking away the opportunity for areas that do not have, to have.

Does that make more sense? I tried not to type as I think so it could be more coherent.

Last edited by LTA1992; January 17th, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 08:43 AM   #4218
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

The MTA ran a few extra trains yesterday for the Women's March crowds. This means rare rolling stock on lines they don't normally run :

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #4219
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

"South Ferry Station to Reopen in June, Years After Sandy Damage, MTA Says"

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...station-reopen

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #4220
Woonsocket54