daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2017, 05:02 AM   #4581
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

IMG_7529 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_7629 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0418 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0421 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0456 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0630 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0645 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0649 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0656 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_0684 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2137 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2139 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2358 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2575 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2619 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2839 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2847 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2850 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_2855 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

DSC_1648 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

DSC_1709 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

DSC_1725 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

DSC_1735 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

DSC_1742 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

DSC_1752 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

DSC_1849 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyp...xy9DssTDb75Luw

and my Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #4582
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 3606

Finally NYC!!

Upgrading your outdated system. Cities around the world have this for at least 20 years..

mrsmartman, patel2897 liked this post
DiogoBaptista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 07:01 AM   #4583
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogoBaptista View Post
at least 20 years..
Contactless/RFID, sure, but surely NFC phone payments haven't been around for that long, save for Japanese phones with a custom Suica/FeliCa chip?

AFAIK, only a handful of systems in the world support full NFC ticketing.
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #4584
sotonsi

Phone payments are more recent, and the momentum behind them was because the US doesn't have high-tech bank cards - take up for Apple Pay is far lower elsewhere.

I'd imagine that cities that have RFID cards can be upgraded for Contactless bank cards and / or phone stuff easily. So London has had Oyster for about 12 years, gained Contactless as an alternative to Oyster as soon as UK banks started trialling the bank cards 3 or so years ago, and Apple Pay when that came out.

They'd prefer people used the bank cards (or phones, but they aren't as common) as, despite that not giving TfL a loan (Oyster is pre-pay), the tech behind Oyster is reaching its limits of it's old tech - weekly caps, etc are only possible on bank cards, no more zones can be added, etc.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #4585
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

...but that’s essentially why the MTA has been dragging its feet: They didn’t want to go full-hog on RFID only to have to go back and upgrade it, again.

The belief was that they’d simply be able to have card issuers and banks provide all the [back-end] infrastructure, as the thinking was that US banks would also make the switch to contactless (namely, NFC) payments; they did not.

Whether that was ultimately a sensible thing for the MTA to do is up for debate, but it wasn’t like they weren’t trialing alternatives...They found a solution they think works for their Ed’s and provides enough forward comparability, I suppose.
Old October 27th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #4586
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10618

Technology is great ..however...

I'd rather use this...a lot simpler for me. But what do I care?..I don't live in NYC....

..not only am I old but old fashion too!

ps.. NYC subway stopped using tokens back in 2000..I think...

pss I was wrong. Tokens were finally phased out in 2003.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

mrsmartman, nylkoorB, patel2897 liked this post

Last edited by bd popeye; October 27th, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
bd popeye está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #4587
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
...but that’s essentially why the MTA has been dragging its feet: They didn’t want to go full-hog on RFID only to have to go back and upgrade it, again.
I'm not sure why NYC's flat-fare system would need future upgrades in the way Oyster will (perhaps the plan was for a smart card to be able to cover the commuter rail as well as the city transit?). However, it was perfectly acceptable for NYC to wait for banks to go contactless before going contactless.

Contactless can be a little bit gimmicky*, however it does speed up gate throughput over magnetic strip once people work out what they are doing.

*A UK national supermarket chain's loyalty card provider is going all out on the fact that they are now contactless cards. For the past 15ish-years, you could have a barcoded dongle and scan that, or scan the barcode on the bank-card-style card, or put it in the card-chip reader (no pin needed, and definitely no sign - just the chip), but now you can do contactless. It isn't payment, it's just saying "can you put the points on this account?" in a different (but no quicker) way, but they are making a big fuss over it.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:39 AM   #4588
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Happy birthday to the greatest subway in the world for its 113 years.
Old October 29th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #4589
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
I'm not sure why NYC's flat-fare system would need future upgrades in the way Oyster will (perhaps the plan was for a smart card to be able to cover the commuter rail as well as the city transit?). However, it was perfectly acceptable for NYC to wait for banks to go contactless before going contactless.
Yes, they want one, regional fare media. Unfortunately, NJ has it's head up its butt, so I don't think they're in a position to join in, and no one cares about SEPTA; however, LIRR and MNR should also switch to this new fare system (in addition to the city buses).

Otherwise, the MTA has been signaling for quite a while that they'd preferably like to be completely out of the business of selling the fare media - I don't really think that's so reasonable, as it might have equity issues - but I do think this has been a hang-up for them. This is why I said they were caught a bit flat-footed by not necessarily wanting to go with RFID, if they felt NFC was going to be a future standard. I guess it shouldn't cost much to then switch from RFID to NFC, but given the age of the MetroCard and the manner in which the MTA gets funding and handles contracts, this may ultimately end up being a wise decision.

Anyways, it seems like the MTA desperately wants a system in which most people use phones and credit/debit cards tied to some online account - which would allow monthly discounts, peak/off-peak pricing, etc - and the remaining few who can/will not use those methods purchase a MTA card online or at some select stations.

I, personally, think this is a bit bone-headed: They should simply issue the new MTA card as a debit-card-and-Municipal-ID-in-one. The HK MTR [Octopus] card shows that transit agencies can be a bit more creative in adding utility to their fare media. Given that many poor in the city don't have bank accounts - let alone access to debit/credit cards - and that the city is pushing to help similar populations gain access to identification with it's new city id, combining the two via the MetroCard replacement makes a lot of sense for NY.

Swede, BigB1967 liked this post

Last edited by phoenixboi08; October 29th, 2017 at 04:02 PM.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #4590
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

First day the BMT AB Standard and D-Type Triplex visited the Second Avenue line. They were on the NYTM trip to Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn.

IMG_3706 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_3707 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_3708 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_3710 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_3711 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_3715 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyp...xy9DssTDb75Luw

and my Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Da18be, mrsmartman, DanielFA, patel2897, Swede and 1 others liked this post
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #4591
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Given that many poor in the city don't have bank accounts - let alone access to debit/credit cards - and that the city is pushing to help similar populations gain access to identification with it's new city id, combining the two via the MetroCard replacement makes a lot of sense for NY.
Absolutely there can't be 100% reliance on banks to provide the cards. Not just for the poor of the city (and there needs to be lots of places to charge your card with cash - cf most newsagents in London doing it, as well as the stations, due to the need to do it before riding the entirely cashless busses), but tourists too.

Swede liked this post
Old October 30th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #4592
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Absolutely there can't be 100% reliance on banks to provide the cards. Not just for the poor of the city (and there needs to be lots of places to charge your card with cash - cf most newsagents in London doing it, as well as the stations, due to the need to do it before riding the entirely cashless busses), but tourists too.
I think you’ve misunderstood my point...

I pointed out that they’re gonna have to continue providing a MetroCard, but that they can make it more useful - and better for their bottom lines - if they also allow it to be used as a debit card and for other similar purposes (eg city identification for purposes of paying bills, registering for school, employment, etc).

The MTA thinks most people will likely opt for a debit/credit card or smartphone: I don’t think that will be the case, and has equity issues, as I said. More so, there will be many who just think they’re being ‘spied’ in and will simply refuse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Swede liked this post
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #4593
sotonsi

my point is that while you can put city services stuff on a transit card, and id and all that, there's still a need to serve out-of-towners without cards/smartphones who not only don't need that stuff, but would be shut out if the new Metrocard is wholly merged with an id card for city residents.
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #4594
phoenixboi08

Quote:
my point is that while you can put city services stuff on a transit card, and id and all that, there's still a need to serve out-of-towners without cards/smartphones who not only don't need that stuff, but would be shut out if the new Metrocard is wholly merged with an id card for city residents.
Again, no...I still don’t think you understand me.
I’d think it’s rather the other way around: Those services can be provided to MetroCard holders, if they wish to receive them, without the hassle of having to get additional media.

That is, the MetroCard is an extensible platform upon which additional services can be provided.

Just because it can be used for those services, doesn’t mean one has to use it for those purposes.

It’s relatively simple to have a card that be used as what is effectively a pre-charged debit card (or, via integration with adequate web services, a bank account) as well as a secure ID that can only be scanned via specific readers. There are myriad ways to make this work.

Tourists can utilize the same exact card without ever activating those features...Or, a temporary card, which is meant to be returned in exchange for retrieving some initial fee can be initiated.

In the end, the point is that this stuff can be done on the backend. The fare media itself is dumb: It’s the NFC chip and proliferation of readers that enables ‘smart’ features.

Swede liked this post
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:41 AM   #4595
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 247

Countdown clocks are now live on the B N and Q trains!

The D F and J/Z are coming next month!

mrsmartman liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #4596
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 247

The R179’s have officially entered service on the J! This is the train that has the oldest, most outdated cars and probably needed it the most!
They don’t look too different from the R160’s aside from the double handle pole, but they do sound very different.

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by nylkoorB; November 9th, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #4597
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Finally.

What took them so long, anyway? Poor workmanship on Bombardier's part?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:26 AM   #4598
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2558

Looks like R32 retirement was effectively moved up several years then
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #4599
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

I remember reading that some R32s will probably stick around for fleet expansion, which would be desperately needed unless the R211s can be deployed before the Canarsie Tunnel closure finishes and the L needs their trains back?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #4600
LTA1992

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
The R179’s have officially entered service on the J! This is the train that has the oldest, most outdated cars and probably needed it the most!
They don’t look too different from the R160’s aside from the double handle pole, but they do sound very different.
Fake news. The R179s are preforming simulated stops right now.
LTA1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway