daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2017, 04:18 AM   #4641
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2562

Make this order several thousand and replace all pre 1990 junk.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2017, 08:00 PM   #4642
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 247

The B D F J and Z now have countdown clocks! That just leaves the A and the 7. Looks like the MTA might actually get this done by the end of the year after all

mrsmartman liked this post
nylkoorB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 09:12 PM   #4643
sotonsi

beating London on that modernisation!

Though I'd imagine some will work as well as Bow Road (ie nowhere near as well as it should) due to junctions and the like (Bow Road doesn't have that excuse).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 09:13 PM   #4644
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
The B D F J and Z now have countdown clocks! That just leaves the A and the 7. Looks like the MTA might actually get this done by the end of the year after all
what about the Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Park shuttles?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #4645
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
what about the Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Park shuttles?
Right I forgot about the Shuttles. 42nd st S already has it, Rockaway S I'm assuming will be included with the A since the A does make those stops during rush hours. The Franklin Ave S is only 4 stops so I can't imagine it would be that difficult. I still feel there's a good chance that they might get this done on time.
Old December 5th, 2017, 05:29 AM   #4646
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

ᴴᴰ R160 - Original V Train to 2 Avenue via 8th Avenue Line Announcements from Forest Hills / 71 Ave

Visit the New Jersey Section

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, nylkoorB, DanielFA liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #4647
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 288

I still question the utility of countdown clocks on the 42nd Street Shuttle.

Especially after that planned renovation where there'll be only two tracks and you can just peep across.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #4648
Mascabrother
In the brig

Likes (Received): 8570

Quote:
I love reviewing this page every once in a while and seeing valiant defenses of the indefensible. Keep it up everyone! Very entertaining.

Last edited by Mascabrother; December 5th, 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Mascabrother no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #4649
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

The latest report reccomends the end of 24/7 NYC Subway Services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Out NYC

“The highest priority is modernizing the subway system,” RPA president Tom Wright said during a media briefing on the new plan, adding that “the era of the 24/7 subway system in New York City has come to an end.”

On weeknights from 12:30am to 5am, there are an average of 85,000 passengers on the New York City subway system, the RPA points out. That accounts for roughly 1.5 percent of the total daily ridership. The association’s plan says that by shutting down subway service during that time, crews would have a larger window for routine maintenance and construction. With the trains out of service, straphangers could theoretically turn to a beefed up overnight bus service, which would be able to run more efficiently during the wee hours of the night.

NYC’s 24-hour subway service may be coming to an end - Time Out NYC

Old December 6th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #4650
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

R211 mockup:

R9s on the Second Avenue Subway:
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #4651
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
MTA would never go for this. It would remove their only excuse for providing horrible service: "Yes, we have the most unreliable network in the world, but we have to provide 24/7 service to a busy city! We're the only city that does this 24/7. Give us a break!"

Mascabrother, DanielFA liked this post
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #4652
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
The Franklin Ave S is only 4 stops so I can't imagine it would be that difficult.
One of those four has already been wired, since the Prospect Park S track shares a platform with the Manhattan-bound B/Q track. For some reason, the online version does not show the S bullet; not sure what it looks like on the platform.

nylkoorB liked this post
Old December 9th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #4653
nylkoorB

I rode on an R179 J for the first time today! I wasn't expecting it to be any different than an R160 but it was surprisingly pleasant. The first thing I noticed on this snowy day is that the heaters behind the seats warm up the seats! I don't know if this was intentional or not but it was really nice. I like the concept of the double grip pole, but unfortunately it seems that this feature enables pole leaners - one of my biggest subway pet peeves. I saw 2 people using the double grip loop to rest their entire backs against, and another decided to use the loop to wrap her arm through as she leaned. It was a fairly crowded train but there was enough space available on the poles above the seats. So the pole leaners were not much of an issue today but I foresee them becoming a larger issue since this is just extra back support for them. As we approached Chambers Street, the announcer informed us that there was weekend construction and that the J was not running past Chambers. The interesting part about this? The speakers were crystal. clear. It was amazing quality. Even better than the clearest R160s I've ever heard. I think we've all been on a train where you can barely hear the announcer. Even the automated announcements were noticeably a little bit more clear than the R160s too but the PA system was the real improvement here. I'm a fan of these R179s.

Quote:
One of those four has already been wired, since the Prospect Park S track shares a platform with the Manhattan-bound B/Q track. For some reason, the online version does not show the S bullet; not sure what it looks like on the platform.
Interesting. I'm in that area somewhat frequently so if I'll have to check that out next time I'm there and follow up.

mrsmartman, alan42, Rapidtransitman liked this post
Old December 9th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #4654
Nexis
Dark Wolf

ᴴᴰ R160 - Original Brown M Train Announcement to Bay Parkway - From Metropolitan Avenue

mrsmartman, nylkoorB, DanielFA liked this post
Old December 9th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #4655
Nexis
Dark Wolf

ᴴᴰ R142 - Original 9 Skip Stop Train Announcements to 242 Street - From South Ferry

mrsmartman, nylkoorB, DanielFA liked this post
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #4656
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Very stupid idea!!!!!

nylkoorB liked this post
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #4657
Miami High Rise

It's about 1% of daily riders, so how crucial is it to cater to 'the 1 percent' of late night riders in a rickety system that's pushed past it's tolerances
and needs tons of serious work?

Just to maintain the 'city that never sleeps' imagery. Because you know that's part of it.
The bragging right.

mrsmartman, sergiogiorgini liked this post
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #4658
Miami High Rise

Quote:
I rode on an R179 J for the first time today! I wasn't expecting it to be any different than an R160 but it was surprisingly pleasant. The first thing I noticed on this snowy day is that the heaters behind the seats warm up the seats! I don't know if this was intentional or not but it was really nice. I like the concept of the double grip pole, but unfortunately it seems that this feature enables pole leaners - one of my biggest subway pet peeves. I saw 2 people using the double grip loop to rest their entire backs against, and another decided to use the loop to wrap her arm through as she leaned. It was a fairly crowded train but there was enough space available on the poles above the seats. So the pole leaners were not much of an issue today but I foresee them becoming a larger issue since this is just extra back support for them. As we approached Chambers Street, the announcer informed us that there was weekend construction and that the J was not running past Chambers. The interesting part about this? The speakers were crystal. clear. It was amazing quality. Even better than the clearest R160s I've ever heard. I think we've all been on a train where you can barely hear the announcer. Even the automated announcements were noticeably a little bit more clear than the R160s too but the PA system was the real improvement here. I'm a fan of these R179s.

Interesting. I'm in that area somewhat frequently so if I'll have to check that out next time I'm there and follow up.
It's sad that a clear PA is a big deal. Subway cars cost millions, so a high impedance high efficiency mid range frequency PA system,
standard issue since at least mid century, should be no big deal.
With proper design, 'bass that you can feel' can be had for one watt or so of power, and dirt tracks and other things are able to cut over the
sound of racing cars. So what's the bit whoop about good elevator speakers?

But it is a big deal, even on light rails and such that are newer, often the ADA compliant loud pings and beep tones that play at each station
are loud and distorted and unpleasant. The LCD subway symphony thing might have been a non-starter, but violating the crappy ADA tone
should not have been the reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...ubway_Symphony
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #4659
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
It's about 1% of daily riders, so how crucial is it to cater to 'the 1 percent' of late night riders in a rickety system that's pushed past it's tolerances
and needs tons of serious work?

Just to maintain the 'city that never sleeps' imagery. Because you know that's part of it.
The bragging right.
I'm one of those people that rely on late night service daily. I see why people are suggesting this, but I think this is a terrible idea and it seems like it would be absolutely devastating for working class people. This city already caters way too much to the wealthy and we do not need anymore of that. Remember that this is a city where people generally do not have access to cars like in the rest of America. I think NYC gets its "city that never sleeps" image because it truly is a city that never shuts down at least not fully. They do not spend all the money and workforce keeping the subway running to fake some sort of image or bragging rights. 85,000 daily riders (in a 4-hour time frame) is a small proportion for NYC at large, but for any other city in America that would be a huge deal. Maybe if we were a city where everybody worked 9-5 desk jobs and/or drove cars then this would be fine. But we are neither of those.
The 24/7 image was earned overtime from the way this city operates: not vice-versa. Here's an article in NYT about this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/n...t-service.html

Quote:
But many transit experts, advocates and riders said stopping the trains would run counter to the rhythms of New York, undermining the city’s economy and unfairly burdening working-class passengers.

The city is becoming more of a 24-hour city than it’s ever been,” said Mitchell Moss, the director of the Rudin Center for Transportation Policy and Management at New York University, who called the idea elitist. “Closing the subways is a way to undermine the health care industry, the restaurant industry, the office maintenance industry. This is a threat to the fundamentals of the city’s economy.”

Andrew Sparberg, a subway historian, said New York City’s subways have run 24 hours since the day they opened in 1904, following in the footsteps of elevated trains that had also run overnight since at least the 1880s.

There has never been a systemwide, overnight shutdown,” said Mr. Sparberg, who opposes the idea. “That’s unprecedented. Even during World War II, there were no shutdowns. It’s a radical change in what has always been an accepted service pattern.”
Quote:
Atlanta Amado Foresyth, 46, a singer, said she rode the subway after midnight at least four nights a week, traveling from gigs at restaurants or private events to her home in Long Island City, Queens.

If the proposal becomes reality, she said, “the city will shut down.”

“The city will cease to be what it’s known for,” she said.

Carolyn Gainey, 55, said just the notion offended her. Ms. Gainey, who lives in Queens, works as a manager at a professional development company and sometimes leaves work after midnight.

“Planning to do that,” she said, “is saying that the system is just not going to work for some people.”

Last edited by nylkoorB; December 10th, 2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error
Old December 10th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #4660
Miami High Rise

Quote:
85,000 daily riders (in a 4-hour time frame) is a small proportion for NYC at large, but for any other city in America that would be a huge deal.
Actually in Miami that's higher than the daily ridership of the metro has ever been
Even when it ran 24 hours briefly after the excitement of a tax increase.

I've driven in NYC a couple times in the most off-peak hours possible (like 2 am on a Monday morning), and you can cruise around the streets and
Robert Moses credited freeways like you own the place, pointing out landmarks like the UN HQ and ESB from the comfort of your car like a real
American tourist.

And I'm not even talking about cars as an alternative, I'm talking about buses that could cruise the streets just as fast at late night,
sometimes even faster than subways, and at the convenience of surface level. So yes, it is the romanticism of the rails at play here.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway