daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2017, 10:03 PM   #4661
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
Actually in Miami that's higher than the daily ridership of the metro has ever been
Even when it ran 24 hours briefly after the excitement of a tax increase.

I've driven in NYC a couple times in the most off-peak hours possible (like 2 am on a Monday morning), and you can cruise around the streets and
Robert Moses credited freeways like you own the place, pointing out landmarks like the UN HQ and ESB from the comfort of your car like a real
American tourist.

And I'm not even talking about cars as an alternative, I'm talking about buses that could cruise the streets just as fast at late night,
sometimes even faster than subways, and at the convenience of surface level. So yes, it is the romanticism of the rails at play here.
They do that sometimes. Weekends and overnights sometimes lines get shut down and replaced by shuttle buses and they are notoriously slow and just overall so much less efficient than the trains. Buses just cannot handle that same capacity as the subways, even during overnight hours. It was even noted in my article I linked to in my previous post:

Quote:
The feasibility of replacing trains with buses raised questions, too. Mr. Moss noted that the transportation authority already used shuttle buses in place of train service during temporary station and line closures — with little success, he said.
It does not work like driving a car on the highway since many of our highways are built around the outskirts of the city and don't typically run through it. Manhattan only has them on parts of the perimeter of the island. Brooklyn for the most part is similar. Another thing is that these buses need to make stops wherever there is a subway station. With the highways not only are you far away from the actual routes which the subways travel and the stops that they make, but there's no way to let people on or off.
Another point which the article fails to mention is that many of these trains cross underneath the rivers at points that are impossible to drive across. This happens a lot in New York due to the island layout. The closest possible alternative would be to find the closest bridge or tunnel but that would be a huge inconvenience.

Fabio1976, streetscapeer liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #4662
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

NYC subway will be always 24/7!!!!

nylkoorB liked this post
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:23 AM   #4663
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6072

Keep your ears closed and continue shouting. Meanwhile the rest of us are working on a solution based in reality.
Old December 11th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #4664
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3597

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #4665
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Keep your ears closed and continue shouting. Meanwhile the rest of us are working on a solution based in reality.
I hope this is not directed at me. I do not have my ears closed - I experience this first hand everyday. Overnight subway service is my reality and has been my entire life. My job depends on it and other parts of my daily life. It’s no secret that this city caters mostly to the rich and we do not need any more of that. A lot of people calling for this to end don’t even seem to be from New York which I find a little strange. I can not believe people assume the MTA just keeps the subway running just for shits and giggles. Doesn’t the thought occur to anyone that maybe there is an actual need for it? Over 85,000 workers daily and that number is only growing.
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #4666
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

53 St Tunnel Closure

Visit the New Jersey Section

nylkoorB liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #4667
MrAronymous

No, it was to this guy

Quote:
NYC subway will be always 24/7!!!!
Which is a pointless comment. As has been said hundreds of times, if you keep 24hr service everywhere, you end up with worse service (or in worst case scenario none at all) on the system as a whole. Stuff's breaking apart.

The people served in the night times are dependent on it, sure. But if the choice is temporary (months/years) nightly bus replacement on some lines or no full scale renovations and updates, the choice is very clear. The small overall percentage of nighttime users do not weigh up to the inconveniences the large portion of daytime users will keep having to endure. There simply is no other solution. Redoing the network by patchwork of small renovations would costs more than 50 years.

Renovating and updating the lines by only inconveniencing the night service users is a very small price to pay for a huge gain to the city of New York.
Surely the night service replacement buses could be made to function properly?
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #4668
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

It's a Christmas surprise - 53rd St tunnel shutdown to complete the year

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #4669
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3034

MTA to Test Subway Platform Screen Doors on the L Train’s 3rd Avenue Station in NYC

Quote:
In an ongoing effort to improve the New York City subway system, the L Train has been subjected to a series of tests by the MTA. New fold-up seats have recently made their debut and another feature may soon been introduced. According to amNewYork, the MTA will test platform doors on the L Train’s Third Avenue station.
The design is being tested following advocacy from board members and experts. Already utilized in other subway stations around the world, including in Paris and Seoul, the doors are intended to prevent commuters from falling onto the subway tracks.
“We’re in the design planning stages and working to overcome structural challenges for a small platform screen doors pilot at the Third Avenue Station along the L line,” said an MTA spokesman in a statement.
At the moment, the agency has not provided much information about the doors. However, Curbed NY notes that they will be installed during the L train shutdown, which will take place in April 2019. Thus far, the MTA has been “unreceptive” to the widespread use of platform doors, citing the age of the subway system and its lack of uniformity as the main issues preventing their installation. The MTA mentions four specific obstacles, including the space for an equipment room; curved tracks at stations; physical obstructions, such as columns, and the need for adequate power (not to mention the overall cost of project).
The Third Avenue station and L train cars, which are all the same models, were specifically selected for this trial run as they present fewer issues. If successful, the doors could debut in 2020, when the lines reopens

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, nylkoorB liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #4670
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
No, it was to this guy

Which is a pointless comment. As has been said hundreds of times, if you keep 24hr service everywhere, you end up with worse service (or in worst case scenario none at all) on the system as a whole. Stuff's breaking apart.

The people served in the night times are dependent on it, sure. But if the choice is temporary (months/years) nightly bus replacement on some lines or no full scale renovations and updates, the choice is very clear. The small overall percentage of nighttime users do not weigh up to the inconveniences the large portion of daytime users will keep having to endure. There simply is no other solution. Redoing the network by patchwork of small renovations would costs more than 50 years.

Renovating and updating the lines by only inconveniencing the night service users is a very small price to pay for a huge gain to the city of New York.
Surely the night service replacement buses could be made to function properly?
The bold I would support. A huge difference from permanently ending overnight service and much more reasonable. It would be an inconvenience for me and many others but I would easily understand. This happens on occasion, so it wouldn't be too far fetched. I would gladly support an increase in temporary overnight shutdowns in both frequency and length if that is what needs to be done for the greater good. I don't think an entire system wide shut down would ever work though, even just temporarily. The free shuttle buses that run during current maintenance shutdowns are already extremely mediocre. It is free though, so maybe I shouldn't complain about them. However, there's no way a system wide shut down does not result in complete disaster.

streetscapeer, bd popeye liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 03:15 AM   #4671
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

That's a great photo of the London PSD, but the ones on the L train will not look anything like that.
Old December 16th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #4672
MrAronymous

More likely something like this.

Miami High Rise, Paulus88 liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #4673
nylkoorB

L train shutdown plan

Here's an article on the L train shutdown plan. It's just the beginning so it is not super detailed but I've highlighted some of the important parts
https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/12...-your-commute/

Subways:
Quote:
The J/M/Z and G lines will see increased service (though the plan does not specify by how much), and the C and G trains will get more cars on each train in order to increase capacity.

Anyone who has witnessed the crowding at the Marcy Avenue J/M/Z station when those trains are suffering delays, or when the L train is out of service, can imagine what that station and others will look like during the shutdown. The release merely claims, without providing specifics, that there will be “additional station turnstile, stair, and control area capacity at numerous stations on the G, J/M/Z, and L lines.”

The DOT will add more bike parking and crosswalks around J/M/Z subway stops, and “with G train ridership expected to grow dramatically, DOT will improve crossings around the Nassau Avenue G train stop.”
Buses and Williamsburg Bridge:
Quote:
Three new bus routes will carry riders from Bedford Avenue or Grand Street in Brooklyn to Soho or 15th Street in Manhattan, so they can transfer to other bus routes or subway lines. “In order to move buses quickly and not add to congestion,” the plan calls for “measures to ensure reliable service. These include bus lanes that connect from the Grand Street Station in Bushwick and along the Brooklyn shuttle bus routes, over the Williamsburg Bridge, to and from Delancey Street and other key Manhattan connection points.”

But the agencies say this does not include a dedicated bus lane on the Williamsburg Bridge. Instead, the bridge will be designated HOV-3 — no vehicles with fewer than three passengers — “during rush hours at minimum.”

According to the DOT, the outer deck of the Williamsburg Bridge will be designated for buses, trucks, and vehicles making right turns. The bus lanes on the bridge approaches will feed directly into that outer deck, with the assumption that the HOV-3 rules will make the outer deck work reliably for bus passengers. The definition of “rush hours” on the bridge is yet to be determined.
Ferries:
Quote:
The agencies estimate that 5 percent of L train riders will turn to ferries during the shutdown, so the MTA is starting a new ferry route from Williamsburg to the Stuyvesant Cove ferry terminal on Manhattan’s East 20th Street, and will run a bus that will connect with a revamped M14 Select Bus Service to take passengers to 14th Street. It’s conceivable that some commuters will take a ferry to a bus to a subway.
Bikes:
Quote:
Daily cycling volume in Manhattan is expected to double during the shutdown, so the agencies are installing new protected bike lanes between Bushwick Avenue and the bridge in Brooklyn — running on Grand Street toward Manhattan, and on a nearby residential street away from it — and on Delancey Street in Manhattan between the bridge and Allen Street.

Transit advocates had been pushing for a dedicated bike lane along the L’s path on 14th Street in Manhattan, but the agencies’ plan calls for a two-way protected bike lane on 13th Street instead.

“DOT will work with Motivate on its Citi Bike capacity to help service inconvenienced subway users, such as increased bike inventories and valet services to help move riders,” the plan states.
Manhattan streets:
Quote:
While groups like Transportation Alternatives called for a “PeopleWay” on the 14th Street corridor — a mixture of pedestrian malls, dedicated bus lanes, and bike lanes that would necessitate a prohibition of private cars — the agencies are instead instituting a “busway” for 14th Street, with details yet to be determined.

The “exclusive busway” would have an unspecified “rush hour restriction” on private vehicles, and the agencies are promising “temporary bus bulbs, offset bus lines, sidewalk expansion, and tens of thousands of square feet in new pedestrian space.”
Brooklyn streets:
Quote:
The Grand Street corridor in Williamsburg, which is already narrow and congested, and the site of numerous pedestrian fatalities in recent years, is expected to become even more bustling during the shutdown.

The agencies’ plan reserves a single sentence for Grand Street: “DOT is looking to make major changes to a street that will serve as a major bus and bicycle corridor to the Williamsburg Bridge.”
River crossings:

13th and 14th streets:

I think one other thing that they should do is provide a free out of system transfer from the Lorimer J/M to the Broadway G, like what is done with the F at 63rd/Lex
I feel that they should probably go with the bus only lanes on the bridge instead of just the proposed HOV.
One thing we can all agree on: this shutdown is going to be a disaster.
Old December 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #4674
GojiMet86

Likes (Received): 440

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/n...ce-misery.html

Quote:
How Cuts in Basic Subway Upkeep Can Make Your Commute Miserable

Decisions to scale back routine maintenance turned this year into the subway’s worst since the 1970s.

By EMMA G. FITZSIMMONS and MICHAEL LaFORGIADEC. 20, 2017

It was the wrong place for a spare piece of rail — 13 feet long, more than 400 pounds and lying, unsecured, in the center of a busy stretch of subway track.

It migrated slowly during the tremorous morning hours, inching across the stained ties and grimy track bed with the vibration of each passing car until it lay atop the track, directly in the path of oncoming trains.

Just before 9:40 a.m. on Tuesday, June 27, the tunnels at 125th Street in Harlem were illuminated by a southbound A train — eight cars carrying hundreds of people.

What happened next felt like an explosion. The train struck the loose rail, and two cars, each weighing more than 90,000 pounds, left the tracks and hit the tunnel walls with enough force to gouge concrete and shear steel. Signal equipment dangled crazily from the ceiling as smoke filled the train cars. Subway riders choked back panic, crowded together and fought their way through the wreckage.

The car walls and the tunnel felt as if they were closing in on Gabriela Martinez, 27, who was on her way to an internship at NBC at Rockefeller Center and now found herself hugging a stranger for comfort. “I can’t control this,” she thought to herself, “and I think I’m going to die right now.”

Workers responsible for the rail that caused the derailment should have removed it, or at least bolted it down, officials said. It was an egregious lapse in basic subway maintenance. But it was far from the only one in June — the worst month for delays in the subway’s worst year since the transit crisis of the 1970s. To look closely at those 30 troubled days is to see how preventable maintenance problems cause commuter misery practically every hour...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyp...xy9DssTDb75Luw

and my Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
GojiMet86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #4675
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Countdown clocks being installed on the 7 train

source: http://liccourtsquare.com/2017/12/18...quare-station/

mrsmartman, nylkoorB, EduardSA liked this post
Old December 21st, 2017, 06:28 PM   #4676
Nexis
Dark Wolf

ᴴᴰ R160 - G Train to Jamaica 179 St Announcements - From Church Avenue - via Queens Blvd / F Line

mrsmartman liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2017, 03:55 AM   #4677
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Wait is this Going be a thing? If so WHEN CAN THE EXTEND the W?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 05:18 AM   #4678
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Wait is this Going be a thing? If so WHEN CAN THE EXTEND the W?
The G is not being extended further into Queens.

But they will extend the lengths of the actual trains during the L shutdown.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:57 AM   #4679
Nexis
Dark Wolf

ᴴᴰ R142 - 5 Train via 6 (Pelham Line) Announcements to Pelham Bay Park - From 125 Street

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:00 AM   #4680
N830MH

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel2897 View Post
Wow! Cool! I haven't seen one yet! When they will deployed new subway cars?

What a smart idea!!! That way those people will not falling on the trains tracks. It could be very dangerous. They could being killed by trains. The screen doors is much safer. To keep away from the tracks. They will save the life. I think they should considering this.
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway