daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #481
IU
->

^No plans till now
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #482
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

There was a brief discussion over in the New York subforum. It stemmed from an extension of the G or 7 line across into Bronx along one of the bridges. I'd be interested in seeing if there is some demand for a cross-Bronx route. What about extending the A train into Bronx and then running it as a cross route?

mrsmartman liked this post
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #483
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

mostly the Cross bronx routes are mostly Buses and the area around Bronx is small not big like Queens or Brooklyn though i maybe wrong about that

maybe Bronx was big but never planned i really don't know

Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #484
Codfish

Likes (Received): 2

I wouldn't dismiss the bus network that quickly. There are a lot of places where the subways only have one orientation (for example, Upper Manhattan), but the buses supplement that very well; I'm not as familiar with the Bronx, but I've found the New York bus system in Manhattan and Queens to be easy to use, reasonably fast (if not as fast as a subway), and fairly comprehensive. And as to the fact that it's not as fast as a subway: yes, but odds are there's a bus much closer to you than a subway. For example, the place where it would make the most sense to have a cross-town subway in Upper Manhattan is probably at 125th St., since it could act as an extension of the T (eventually); but if you're, say, at 86th, it would be much faster just to take the 86th St. bus across Central Park than to take the subway all the way up to 125th (or down to the Times Square/Grand Central shuttle), across, and then all the way back up to 86th on the other side. Subways really aren't always the best method, folks!

Maybe the situation is different in the Bronx; I'm extremely unfamiliar with it. But it looks to me like nobody's really calling for it, so let's let the MTA get on with building more needed projects - the 2nd Ave. Line, the 7 extension - before we talk about stuff like this.

Codfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #485
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

The G Line would make good sence. It could cross on the Tribourough Bridge, or the Throngs Neck Bridge, and than maybe a south extension to Coney Island or JFK. Using the Throngs Neck Bridge it could serve LaGaurdia Airport.

Tcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #486
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

This is just an idea.

My aim here was to connect with as many lines and areas by constructing new subways underneath existing avenues and taking over a few branches and other lines, such as the Brooklyn Shuttle, the 3 and the M.

sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #487
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss the bus network that quickly. There are a lot of places where the subways only have one orientation (for example, Upper Manhattan), but the buses supplement that very well
Upper Manhattan bus is quite efficient because of Central Park. I take the M86 or M96 or M79 all the time and the Central Park crossing is exactly why its so fast. No traffic lights or stops, it crosses half of Manhattan in a couple of minutes. But then everything slows down dramatically once it gets out of the park. Now the Bronx is much wider than Manhattan and there is no long stretch of park w/o traffic lights or stops.

Extension of subway lines are a bit pricey and can take a long time. (I mean they're taking 10+ years to build 17 km of subway?!?!? I mean come on! How long does it take to construct 15 stations?) What about monorail, airtrain, or separated light rail? Airtrain was built pretty fast.

drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #488
Gil

@ sweek

Here's the top half of your map with a 7 running along the Bronx-Whitestone and then along the Cross-Bronx Expwy. Seeing how the 7 is mostly elevated, it can continue along the expwy. corridors much like the JFK AirTrain does. This way there won't be severe traffic restrictions if the line were to continue underground. The matter of getting the line to fit onto the Bridge needs to be examined.

[IMG]http://i6.************/864zuht.jpg[/IMG]

Old November 21st, 2007, 05:51 AM   #489
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

Fare Is Fair: NYC Subway Fees Stay at $2
20 November 2007

NEW YORK (AP) - After months of angry public hearings over possible fare increases, transit officials announced Tuesday that the base cost for New York's 7.3 million daily subway and bus riders will remain at $2 through 2009.

The decision was announced by Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who's endured a rougher ride lately than most city commuters, and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

"I said I would listen to the public and review the numbers, and I am thrilled that we are able to give something back," MTA Chairman H. Dale Hemmerdinger said.

The 25-cent increase in bus and subway fares throughout the nation's biggest mass-transit system was expected to have gone into effect next year. The MTA said it was backing off the unpopular proposal after an additional $220 million was found in its updated budget forecasts, with a portion of the funds coming from an increase in anticipated ridership.

The decision to stick with the $2 fare could boost public opinion of Spitzer, the Democratic governor whose popularity has been spiraling amid unhappiness over increased state spending and his plan to make it easier for illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses. Spitzer has dropped that proposal.

Fares on discount programs like unlimited monthly and weekly passes are likely to increase, which drew grumbling from opponents of the original plan.

"This fare deal is not a total save," Assemblyman Richard Brodsky said. "It's a good first step, but it's just a good step."

The last fare hike, from $1.50 to $2, came in 2003. The various discount programs make the average actual fare about $1.30.

"My pockets are saying, `Yes! Thank you!'" said Terry Ellison, 47, a city employee from Brooklyn. "That helps out a lot."

Last week, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey unveiled a widely anticipated plan to increase tolls by 33 percent for drivers between the two states. The agency said the proposal would help build a crucial train tunnel and encourage mass transit and environmentally friendly driving.

------

Associated Press writers Michael Gormley and Samanatha Gross contributed to this report.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:27 AM   #490
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

I think the Bronx is ok with buses. Why waste money on a east-west subway line in a place where the main demand is to enter manhattan? The bus is doing it's job taking people from east to west in The Bronx. However, I definitley think it'd be a good idea to connect Brooklyn and Queens a little more via light rail or street car. I certainly think there's demand for it.

koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM   #491
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Skanska says wins NY subway order worth $400 mln

STOCKHOLM, Nov 9 (Reuters) - Swedish construction firm Skanska said on Friday it expected to receive an order to extend a New York subway line worth about $400 million.

Skanska has won the bid -

Skanska consortium wins 270 mln eur order from New York subway
Source

STOCKHOLM (Thomson Financial) - Skanska AB said it has signed a contract worth 270 mln eur from MTA New York City Transit to undertake construction work in the New York subway.

Skanska is part of a consortium of three companies, S3 Tunnel Contractors, which was awarded the contract. It is to build an extension to the number 7 underground rail line in the New York subway, and to build a new underground station.

The total amount of the contract is 770 mln eur, and Skanska has a 35 pct share of this.

Skanska's US unit, Skanska USA Civil, employs 3,800 people. In 2006, its sales were 1.05 bln eur.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 06:07 AM   #492
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
Good news for the Second Avenue Line - it officially has federal funding! See this New York Times article.

Also, a few small things to respond to previous posters: yes, the Q (and eventually the T) will intersect with the Lexington Avenue Line (the 4, 5, and 6) at 125th St. and Lexington Ave. It doesn't just jog left because it can. As others have mentioned, the Lex Ave. Line (please don't call it the green line - despite the fact that it is colored green on the map, New Yorkers never call it this) is currently at maximum capacity, and the MTA hopes that the Second Ave. Line will be an alternate route down the east side of Manhattan.

I have two questions, though. First, once the T is finished, are there any plans to change the Q into an express between 125th and 72nd? It seems like the 4/5 (the express lines on Lexington Ave) will be much faster than the Q/T, so it'll be hard to persuade people coming from the Bronx to transfer. Also, the placing of the southernmost stops seems kind of strange; why not enable transfers to other lines, so that, say, you can continue on into Brooklyn? I suppose you can get the F, B, or D further north, but still. Maybe this would make more sense with a map of Lower Manhattan in front of me, but I'm curious if anyone has a ready answer.

Lastly, both "orient" and "orientate" are valid words (with the same meaning). "Orient" is more common and is older, dating from the 700s; however, "orientate" is hardly new, with usage traced back to the 1840s. If you need to pick one, "orient" is probably better, since (IMO) it sounds nicer and is more widespread; however, "orientate" is also correct.
It's impossible to have the Q running express with the T running local because it's a two-track line. However, that could change if extra tracks are built below the Second Avenue Subway at a later time. Actually, although this would complicate it, the T could run express because the Q needs to be on the same level as the BMT Broadway Line because of the IND 63 Street connection.

geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM   #493
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

I know the difference is only semantic at this point (well, since 1967 and the Chrystie St. Connection), but is the SAS going to be considered an IND line, or is it going to be the only BMT line completely outside of Brooklyn (since the Q is a BMT train)? Is there even going to be a distinction? Inquiring minds want to know.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #494
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
I know the difference is only semantic at this point (well, since 1967 and the Chrystie St. Connection), but is the SAS going to be considered an IND line, or is it going to be the only BMT line completely outside of Brooklyn (since the Q is a BMT train)? Is there even going to be a distinction? Inquiring minds want to know.
Given the colour of the T line, which is supposed to be light blue I'm not sure it could be lumped in with one of the other networks. From a technical standpoint, it'll be operated from the same division that absorbed the BMT and IND lines (could we consider it an IND line given its unique status?).

Old November 24th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #495
IU
->

I was walking around in NY today and had my camera along with me..so I took some pics of station entrances -

Times Square

Old November 24th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #496
IU
->

Old November 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #497
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

NYC subway delays are growing; transit chief cites track work
24 November 2007

NEW YORK (AP) - The subways built to rush passengers beneath the city's streets are increasingly bedeviled by delays, according to new statistics.

On average, nearly 7 percent of weekday trains ran late during the 12-month period that ended Sept. 30, New York City Transit figures show. That compared to about 3 percent in 2003.

The agency counts trains as late when they reach the end of their lines more than five minutes behind schedule.

President Howard H. Roberts Jr. said Friday that many delays were due to construction work aimed at improving the system, but the agency was exploring what "we might be able to manage better."

One possible solution could be a slight cutback in the number of rush-hour trains, which might lessen backups, he said.

Track work and other construction projects were by far the biggest factor in slowing subways, accounting for an average of 2,235 delays a month in the 12 months that ended Sept. 30, the statistics show. Signal problems were responsible for an average of 657 delays per month.

Riders also played a role. By holding doors open, they held up an average of 518 trains per month.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #498
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2090

Quote:
Riders also played a role. By holding doors open, they held up an average of 518 trains per month.
Equip the doors with razor-sharp edges. You can only lose your fingers once...
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #499
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
NYC subway delays are growing; transit chief cites track work
Signal problems were responsible for an average of 657 delays per month.
They should hire the MTR.

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #500
IU
->

Found some more renderings of the Second Ave. subway line from FXFOWLE's website:

The Second Avenue Subway line will run from 125th Street to Whitehall Street, through sixteen new stations. FXFOWLE was the architectural lead for the preliminary design phase of the project which defined system characterized by environmental responsibility, high-performance design, neighborhood integration, and maintainability. The line will have a new, distinct identity, and each station will be welcoming, contemporary, secure, and accessible--a fitting realm for the city's future. The project was awarded a Green Design Award from the City of New York / EPA and was published in ID Magazine.

86th Street station entrance

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway