daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #541
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

I hadn't noticed the rendering for the station entrances. I really like them. It's a good thing that they're covered as well, at least the stairs won't get wet and slippery when it rain like most other stations do. And the design is real nice.

mrsmartman liked this post
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #542
dios tanatos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post

the Second Avenue Subway will begin construction on April 12 and all the new stations will have Air Conditioning to cool off the platforms cool and once it is completed it will be run by a new train route the T
Just in case & to be on the safe side, better go to church & light a candle to St Jude (the patron saint of lost causes).

dios tanatos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #543
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX174 View Post
I THINK IT REALLY ABOUT TIME THEY GOT THIS OFF THE GROUND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS LINE BUILT AT LEAST IN ALL OF MANHATTAN IN MY LIFETIME ITS JUST ASHAME THIS FEAT COULD HAVE BEEN ACCOMPLISHED WELL OVER 20 YEARS AGO AND WE COULD BE USING THE CURRENT MONEY FOR MORE EXPANSION OPRTUNITIES LIKE SERVICE TO SE QUEENS AND WHAT HAVE YOU GREAT THREAD THO!!!!!!
Why are you yelling at me?

Great to hear this is moving forward though.

Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #544
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Not sure how much more effective a 2nd avenue subway would be. Do people think it could've worked better had it been built on 1st avenue? In any case, its still great news. Should comfortably relieve the 4,5,6 lines, which btw are a nightmare during rush hours. Notice how crowding on the West Side, neither the A,B,C,D or 1,2,3 lines are nearly as bad as 4,5,6. The T and Q trains should have the same effect with the 4,5,6

drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #545
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Considering its net price tag ($1 billion per mile), it makes me wonder if monorail would have been a better solution. You could build the line faster, and for MUCH cheaper than tunneling. One of the biggest 'drawbacks' of monorail is that it can block views of the sky, but the sea of skyscrapers are already doing that.

Regardless, congrats on finally getting on this new route and here is hoping it is completed quickly and is fast and efficient. We're still waiting for our Queen St. subway/tunneled LRT here in Toronto.

Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #546
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Why would they crowd the streets with a monorail. The whole purpose of the subway was to get it out of the way and out of the elements such as weather. Besides...that would mean getting a whole new fleet of rolling stock and such...it wouldn't be compatible with the rest of the system.

Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #547
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Akira- View Post
Why would they crowd the streets with a monorail. The whole purpose of the subway was to get it out of the way and out of the elements such as weather. Besides...that would mean getting a whole new fleet of rolling stock and such...it wouldn't be compatible with the rest of the system.
A monorail wouldn't 'crowd' the street. A monorail's beam is not that intrusive to the sky view, no more than the sea of sky scrapers at least. Winter weather could be combated with modern heating equipment in the beam, or by building a suspended monorail. Also, I highly doubt that the line plus rolling stock would come to over a billion for each mile built.

Old February 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #548
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

Manhattan doesn't want an elevated line. Thats why they tore down the Second Avenue El in the first place.

Tcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #549
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
A monorail wouldn't 'crowd' the street. A monorail's beam is not that intrusive to the sky view, no more than the sea of sky scrapers at least. Winter weather could be combated with modern heating equipment in the beam, or by building a suspended monorail. Also, I highly doubt that the line plus rolling stock would come to over a billion for each mile built.
Obviously you've scarcely dealt with New York. Not only would there be no place to fit a monorail (you'd have to support it into the street, the only street that could work would be Park Avenue because of its median), but if you've ever been down avenues, the wind current is insanely high. The skyscrapers force wind through narrow passages between buildings, creating a type of wind-tunnel. A monorail or any elevated structure would probably fall down. The only exception to this is the area around 125 Street on Broadway because it's in a valley and the cast-iron track layer is at a point where the buildings aren't high enough to create that vortex.

geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #550
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Never heard that theory before about wind forces and I would not believe it regardless. There were many elevated rails in Manhattan before and I am sure that wind would not affect the engineering of them now.

Further above ground rail just doesn't cut it anymore, neither in Manhattan or the rest of New York City. No one wants to see hulking steel blocking their view of the sun for that matter. Thats the reason the link to LaGuardia was shot down, it was all above ground.

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #551
Electrify

Old February 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #552
cle

Likes (Received): 524

Will these have island or side platforms? I'm assuming this will be 2 tracked rather than 4 for express trains.

cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #553
xote
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Will these have island or side platforms? I'm assuming this will be 2 tracked rather than 4 for express trains.
Sadly.

xote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #554
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

Likes (Received): 1

But there would be no use for express tracks on this line. It connects so many important stations, so having special lines would just be confusing.

GuyFromMoss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #555
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromMoss View Post
But there would be no use for express tracks on this line. It connects so many important stations, so having special lines would just be confusing.
Not quite as useless as the 8th avenue express. I mean the A train skips two stops between 42nd and chambers streets. Spring Street and 23rd Street. Sometimes when an A train and a E or C train leaves chambers st. at the same time, the E or C gets to 42nd first! Now thats useless!

drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #556
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

I've heard rumours about expanding the 7 line from Flushing to Douglaston. However, I've heard these stories since I was 10 in 1968. Any truth to them?

Dan

dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #557
xote
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
I've heard rumours about expanding the 7 line from Flushing to Douglaston. However, I've heard these stories since I was 10 in 1968. Any truth to them?

Dan
Nothing has been mentioned about that. The only extension on the 7 line that is currently in the works is the extension in Manhattan to the Hudson River.

Old February 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #558
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post

Dan
Is there are need for this? LIRR already goes there.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #559
xote
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
Is there are need for this? LIRR already goes there.
Plus, I think that while there is definitely no plans to eventually get rid of the cities elevated lines outside Manhattan, I think there would be resistance to extending an elevated line in general, especially one with smaller of the two widths used by subway cars.

Old February 18th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #560
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Not quite as useless as the 8th avenue express. I mean the A train skips two stops between 42nd and chambers streets. Spring Street and 23rd Street. Sometimes when an A train and a E or C train leaves chambers st. at the same time, the E or C gets to 42nd first! Now thats useless!
No, it's not. Four tracks means twice the capacity of two tracks. That's also the main reason why Manhattan's trunk lines have been equipped with four tracks instead of two.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway