daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #561
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

NYC subway system counts most riders since early 1950s
7 February 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - Transit officials say New York City subway ridership has hit its highest level in more than half a century.

NYC Transit figures released Wednesday show a total of more than 1.5 billion passengers thronged the trains last year. More than 5 million straphangers hit the subways on an average weekday.

Both figures are the highest since the early 1950s.

NYC Transit says surging tourism and service upgrades have brought more riders. Agency President Howard Roberts Jr. says the increase points up the need to keep improving the transit system to meet the growing demand.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

mrsmartman liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #562
Assemblage23
▄bereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8226

Don't get me wrong, but honestly NYC deserves much better.

The Subway has a huge coverage and does its job very well: it transports millions of people, but that's about it.

When I went to NYC I was disappointed of it. I mean, while walking in Mahanttan, you look around and find yourself surrounded by wonderfull skyscrapers and landmarks everywhere. But when you decide to use the subway and walk down the staris to get in a Station, you feel as if you enter another "reality". The stations were run down, missing tiles on the walls, many lighting fixtures ddn't work (hence the stations were dimly lit)...to make the story short, I've ridden many metro systems in the world, and by far NYC Subway was the one in the worst state.

Please don't take it as an offense, i LOVED the city, but the Subway doesn┤t match NYC's magnificence.

Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #563
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

It's very hard to make a very old system modern. Many of the designs cannot be changed unless they raze the station and start from scratch altogether. However, I'm also a bit disappointed over how the stations have evolved. London has done a fairly decent job restoring some of their very old stations as well.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #564
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
London has done a fairly decent job restoring some of their very old stations as well.
I couldn't resist...

Kennington 1990

Kennington 2006

Lancaster Gate

Before

image hosted on flickr

After

image hosted on flickr

More examples...

Arsenal

image hosted on flickr

Chalk Farm

image hosted on flickr

Russell Square

image hosted on flickr

Oldest of the lot

Baker Street

image hosted on flickr

Notting Hill Gate...

image hosted on flickr

Considering London's is older and that Paris has done the same, especially with Line 1 which is going to have Platform Screen Doors in some of the oldest stations, I can't see why New York can't do the same.

More info here

Last edited by iampuking; February 21st, 2008 at 06:39 PM.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #565
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Different political systems, I guess. When you also consider that New York City isn't the capital of the U.S. nor the state of New York (meaning politicians don't have to take the subway very often), it's hard to get the political clout to get money.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #566
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Many politicians in this country don't care about mass transit. It's all about the freeways and the automobiles.

koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM   #567
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I couldn't resist...

Kennington 1990

Kennington 2006

Lancaster Gate

Before

image hosted on flickr

After

image hosted on flickr

More examples...

Arsenal

image hosted on flickr

Kentish Town

image hosted on flickr

Russell Square

image hosted on flickr

Oldest of the lot

Baker Street

image hosted on flickr

Notting Hill Gate...

image hosted on flickr

Considering London's is older and that Paris has done the same, especially with Line 1 which is going to have Platform Screen Doors in some of the oldest stations, I can't see why New York can't do the same.

More info here
Kentish town looks an awful lot like Chalk farm road!
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM   #568
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Yes, I noticed too... After I posted it. It's been edited now.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:58 AM   #569
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Many politicians in this country don't care about mass transit. It's all about the freeways and the automobiles.
Not only that, but it's a hard sell to those like Tom Coburn out in Oklahoma, who thoroughly disapproves spending federal money on projects of "limited" impact. Of course, that's reflective of the shortsightedness of much of his constituency. This isn't a unique perspective, unfortunately.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #570
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Unless I'm mistaken, a goodly percentage of NYC's subway stations have been refurbished in recent years. Overall, it is my impression that the system was in worse shape 25 years ago.

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM   #571
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, a goodly percentage of NYC's subway stations have been refurbished in recent years. Overall, it is my impression that the system was in worse shape 25 years ago.
They do, but the station looks like it was renovated 5 years ago. Some stations are vandalized by people with graffiti. Not to mention the amount of gums on the floor, it's disgusting!

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM   #572
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
They do, but the station looks like it was renovated 5 years ago. Some stations are vandalized by people with graffiti. Not to mention the amount of gums on the floor, it's disgusting!
honestly, nyc subway's simply disgraceful for such an important world city. london's definitely done a much better job in updating its underground network. at least the trains are a lot newer and they are constantly upgrading the stations in the network. like nyc, it's a massive network and it takes time to refurbish all of them but at least u can see that it's happening!

in contrary, nyc's subway is dirty, run-down and dangerous. i've heard stories about it before i went there but i never expected it to be actually that bad! trains are knackered and the design of the signs are actually fairly confusing and i struggle to understand why they can't just use alphabets for the lines but not numbers as well. i mean ppl who live in nyc may get used to it but its really difficult for tourists! also are those american flags on the trains really necessary?

think the only positive side about the system is the express trains and that does reduce the travelling time.

vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM   #573
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

^ The numbers are for the IRT system (Division A), the letters are for the IND and BMT system (Division B). The two divisions are incompatable. Division B trains are wider and longer than Divsion A trains.

Tcmetro está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM   #574
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvill View Post
honestly, nyc subway's simply disgraceful for such an important world city. london's definitely done a much better job in updating its underground network. at least the trains are a lot newer and they are constantly upgrading the stations in the network. like nyc, it's a massive network and it takes time to refurbish all of them but at least u can see that it's happening!

in contrary, nyc's subway is dirty, run-down and dangerous. i've heard stories about it before i went there but i never expected it to be actually that bad! trains are knackered and the design of the signs are actually fairly confusing and i struggle to understand why they can't just use alphabets for the lines but not numbers as well. i mean ppl who live in nyc may get used to it but its really difficult for tourists! also are those american flags on the trains really necessary?

think the only positive side about the system is the express trains and that does reduce the travelling time.
What's the problem with the American flags, being that this is America ?

Old February 24th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #575
shadyunltd

Likes (Received): 7

Some people just aren't as patriotic as you.

As for NYC's subway... probably that my post was deleted, but I was making the same points as vvill. NYC subway is just not right for a world-class city such as New York City. I'd go on and say that even Toronto's craptastic subway is better than NYC's.

Finally, the whole network is confusing. Why have BMT, IRT and IND. Why not one whole entity/network incompassing all these three. Why not facilitate the life of every passenger?

shadyunltd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #576
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
What's the problem with the American flags, being that this is America ?
uber-nationalism is looked down upon in most of the Western World. But it's America's decision, and if Sept 11 happened in my city, then I wouldn't really care about putting a flag on my metro...

city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #577
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
uber-nationalism is looked down upon in most of the Western World. But it's America's decision, and if Sept 11 happened in my city, then I wouldn't really care about putting a flag on my metro...
I know it pissed me off seeing all the Aussie flags when I was in Australia in 1992. Over-the-top jingoism, I'd say.

Old February 24th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #578
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
Some people just aren't as patriotic as you.

As for NYC's subway... probably that my post was deleted, but I was making the same points as vvill. NYC subway is just not right for a world-class city such as New York City. I'd go on and say that even Toronto's craptastic subway is better than NYC's.

Finally, the whole network is confusing. Why have BMT, IRT and IND. Why not one whole entity/network incompassing all these three. Why not facilitate the life of every passenger?
I'm not particularly patriotic really. I just think it's bizarre that a non-American visitor would carp about American flags in America.

Oh, and when I next visit Canada, will you kindly get your Canadian flag out of my face ?

Old February 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #579
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
I know it pissed me off seeing all the Aussie flags when I was in Australia in 1992. Over-the-top jingoism, I'd say.
The best form of defence is always attack.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #580
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
The best form of defence is always attack.
That's d-e-f-e-n-s-e.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway