daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM   #41
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Bloody Hell! New York's 20 years behind The Tube in that case...

Guards started disappearing in 1985, although I am proud to relate that I was one of the last Guards to work on The Tube in 1999 (Northern Line)

mrsmartman liked this post
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:41 PM   #42
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighto
There are 2 bulkhead displays (below) in all the newish R-143 cars which flash time, line/destination and next station- but I haven't seen the particular side wall one above yet.

Isnt that where I linked my photo to?!?!?
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM   #43
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighto
^meh, those displays are practically worthless in older systems like NY- most Londoners I know consider them a cruel joke. They would be especially worthless in a four-track system with constant track/service changes- the money (and there is very little) would be better spent on other items, like expanding the system and keeping what is in place functional.

NYC MTA is not supported by federal funding anywhere near the levels in the other first world large cities, and even some third world.
A cruel joke? They are actually very helpful and update with any problems on the line (also audio annoucements). I'm just suprised the New York Subway lags behind in introducing platform screen doors and electronic display systems which are really modern requirements for modern world cities. Not forgetting that the London Undgerground is some 41 years older than the New York Subway and yet manages to keep apace and the New York Subway also gets more money than the London Underground.

nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM   #44
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman

Guards started disappearing in 1985, although I am proud to relate that I was one of the last Guards to work on The Tube in 1999 (Northern Line)
I don't really think it's a technological problem, it's more of a union problem, the transit workers union in NYC is very powerful. Would you wanna piss off a union that can essentially bring the city to a standstill?

mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:08 PM   #45
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

Don't bring up transport unions. London has problems too.

http://www.amateurtransplants.com/ Click on video to see and hear the London underground song. it's hillarious.

Englishman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:40 PM   #46
Housing Critic3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Americans really like the stars and stripes. even in the subway the stars and stripes? Those trains go to the battlefield?

Housing Critic3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM   #47
sfgadv02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housing Critic3
Americans really like the stars and stripes. even in the subway the stars and stripes? Those trains go to the battlefield?
Um, ever since 9/11, there are flags everywhere....

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:54 PM   #48
sfgadv02

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
A cruel joke? They are actually very helpful and update with any problems on the line (also audio annoucements). I'm just suprised the New York Subway lags behind in introducing platform screen doors and electronic display systems which are really modern requirements for modern world cities. Not forgetting that the London Undgerground is some 41 years older than the New York Subway and yet manages to keep apace and the New York Subway also gets more money than the London Underground.
I dont know about London, but here in NYC, people would scratch those PSD in a matter of days. People tend to break new things and well PSD just wont do.
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:40 PM   #49
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housing Critic3
Hey, we're patriotic guys, give us a break.

mrsmartman, Canadian Empire liked this post
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:45 PM   #50
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman

As mad_nick said, it's the unions that dictate what goes on. This plan has been around for many years. The union fought with the MTA for years until the MTA finally could come up with their system. The current automated system was ready to launch a few years ago, but the unions refused to ride the new trains, becuase conducterless (and soon driverless) trains would lose them their jobs. The unions are still very annoyed and are prohibiting the expansion of this program. In fact, the MTA has the technology to automate the entire system. However, they can't go forward with this system as its too great a risk to challenge the union.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM   #51
Rail Claimore

They have electronic marquees in all the newly rebuilt (and some of the old) stations in Chicago, and none of it's vandalized like that. In fact, they plan to introduce interactive ATSS at all major Chicago el stations in the next few years, similar to what's used in the tube. If Chicago and London can do this... both cash-strapped as they are, why not NY?

Bringing the system to a state of good repair means modernizing the existing infrastructure they have. NY has done wonderfully well since the 1980's, but cleaning floors on just 1/3 of the stations and replacing a few signs is not modernization. I completely agree with Nick. Are New Yorkers so distrustful of their fellow citizens that they're luddites when it comes to stuff like this?

Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM   #52
Rail Claimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asohn
As mad_nick said, it's the unions that dictate what goes on. This plan has been around for many years. The union fought with the MTA for years until the MTA finally could come up with their system. The current automated system was ready to launch a few years ago, but the unions refused to ride the new trains, becuase conducterless (and soon driverless) trains would lose them their jobs. The unions are still very annoyed and are prohibiting the expansion of this program. In fact, the MTA has the technology to automate the entire system. However, they can't go forward with this system as its too great a risk to challenge the union.
It's the same thing in Chicago, though not quite as bad. Someone needs to tell them to go screw themselves and jawbone the system... all the politicians are just bought out. The vast majority of unions are nothing but bureaucracies in disguise and have gone way beyond what their original purposes called for.

Canadian Empire liked this post
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:11 PM   #53
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 96

I believe there is also a computerized mapping system that tells you exactly where the trains are. So while before each train had to give about a distance of ten city block from the train in front of it, to avoid accidents, it resulted in fewer trains on the line and longer wait times. Now, the distance can be shortned since the exact position of all trains will be know at all times. This is what I heard on Discovery channel..

NewYork-wala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #54
liat91

Likes (Received): 4

New York MTA subway extensions

So now that the west side stadium won't be getting state money, does this mean that the 2nd avenue subway and 7 line extension will actually be completed? (money going to them instead)

liat91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #55
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

no, but you know what if new york does get the 2012 games..having the games in queens may spark the city to finish off the ind second system portions in queens and the bronx and maybe a piece of the second ave subway

Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #56
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

The only MTA extension/new line that makes sence is the 2nd ave line. All other money should be used to upgrade/repair the system, and add capacity/greater train frequency during peak and non-peak times.

Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #57
CHI

Likes (Received): 2

Please elaborate on the 2nd avenue subway, and if possible, post a map of future extensions.
CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #58
dynamicdezzy

Likes (Received): 1

What areas of Queens and Bronx were supposed to have been tapped into by rail? Would be great to see new subway lines in queens to alleviate congestion on the qns blvd lines. It would also be nice to see the existing ones renovated. The J train runs on some pretty $hitty tracks.

dynamicdezzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM   #59
mariusz_ny

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI
Please elaborate on the 2nd avenue subway, and if possible, post a map of future extensions.
about Second Avenue Subway + map from official website

mariusz_ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #60
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdezzy
What areas of Queens and Bronx were supposed to have been tapped into by rail? Would be great to see new subway lines in queens to alleviate congestion on the qns blvd lines. It would also be nice to see the existing ones renovated. The J train runs on some pretty $hitty tracks.
I'm not sure of the queens extension for the sas, but I know it was supposed to service northern queens.

but I do know about the bronx extension, from the alignment map It looks to Travel up Boston Rd. There were original plans for a subway up boston rd as part of the second system but they were never built because the sas wasn't built. (and if it is built it will most likely extend to co-op city)

on a side note I think it would be great if a boston rd had subway service because the drye 5 is just garbage, it travels just as slow as the 2 above 180th

hey what would you guys think if the 6 was extended to fully serve co-op city?

Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway