daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #581
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
That's d-e-f-e-n-s-e.
Gasp, try using the Oxford English Dictionary and you'd find it's spelt with a C. Not everyone spells like the Americans.

mrsmartman liked this post
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #582
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Well, ok...back to topic...

My major gripe with the NYC subway is the map. It's like spaghetti. I wish that they would make it more people-friendly like what the Tube has done. Although it looks almost nothing like it really does in real life, it does a good job of making the map easier to understand.

In contrast, anyone who doesn't live in the city and doesn't use the subway on a regular basis won't know how the hell to get out of Manhattan unless they pay extra, extra attention.

And, they could make it a little cleaner...but that maybe asking too much. While it may not be the prettiest metro or the most easiest to understand, the NYC subway does serve it's purpose very well, and is one of the best metro's in my opinion. Best in the US, for sure.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #583
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Gasp, try using the Oxford English Dictionary and you'd find it's spelt with a C. Not everyone spells like the Americans.
All of which is to say that lots of [purportedly] English-speaking folks are out of step. And the O.E.D. is way too heavy to be of any real utility. I use mine for dumbell step-ups.

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #584
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmetro View Post
^ The numbers are for the IRT system (Division A), the letters are for the IND and BMT system (Division B). The two divisions are incompatable. Division B trains are wider and longer than Divsion A trains.
but a tourist like me wont care if its IND and BMT as long as i can travel on it. that's why i see no point of using numbers and letters to distinguish the 2 systems!

vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #585
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvill View Post
but a tourist like me wont care if its IND and BMT as long as i can travel on it. that's why i see no point of using numbers and letters to distinguish the 2 systems!
oh come on! Is this really such a big deal??
it's not that hard both with numbers and letters, i think
far far better as the half-mile-long names for the lines in London, which tourists cannot remember so easy. it's a crap to go with the 'hammersmith and city line' and then change to 'east london line' or so, remembering all the line names.
in NYC u just have to remember 'line 1 then change to E or L'. It's much easier, every one have to admit it.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #586
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvill View Post
IND/BMT is harder to tell apart. You mean IRT/B Division. The main point of having the IRT having numbers and the BMT/IND having letters is surely because you'd run out of space if you use one system, so you might as well have it split administratively.

sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #587
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
As for NYC's subway... probably that my post was deleted, but I was making the same points as vvill. NYC subway is just not right for a world-class city such as New York City. I'd go on and say that even Toronto's craptastic subway is better than NYC's.
You've got to be joking. IMO, the NYC subway is by far the best subway system in the world. Not even systems like Tokyo's, Moscow's, or London's can come close to it. It is one of the safest subways in the world too. I know a friend who have fell asleep on a Bronx bound 5 train at 3 am to wake up at the terminal and find his ipod, wallet, cell phone, etc. all still on him. Friends and relatives frequently travel on the subway well past midnight and nothing ever happens to them. They feel perfectly safe on the subway no matter what time it is. You can take it at 2 in the morning and still feel not the slightest bit threatened even if you're traveling through Brooklyn or the Bronx, let alone Manhattan. Try doing that in any other subways (whoops sorry you can't, there aren't any other 24 hr subways). Its express service just puts it ahead of every subway in the world by a wide margin. And the reliability and service that the NYC trains provide is simply excellent. Construction doesn't create massive delays the way it would for two track systems such as the Washington Metro. Honestly, it would be insulting to hear people say Tokyo's metro is better than NYC subway; saying Toronto subway is better than NYC's is just blasphemy.

drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #588
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
You've got to be joking. IMO, the NYC subway is by far the best subway system in the world. Not even systems like Tokyo's, Moscow's, or London's can come close to it. It is one of the safest subways in the world too. I know a friend who have fell asleep on a Bronx bound 5 train at 3 am to wake up at the terminal and find his ipod, wallet, cell phone, etc. all still on him. Friends and relatives frequently travel on the subway well past midnight and nothing ever happens to them. They feel perfectly safe on the subway no matter what time it is. You can take it at 2 in the morning and still feel not the slightest bit threatened even if you're traveling through Brooklyn or the Bronx, let alone Manhattan. Try doing that in any other subways (whoops sorry you can't, there aren't any other 24 hr subways). Its express service just puts it ahead of every subway in the world by a wide margin. And the reliability and service that the NYC trains provide is simply excellent. Construction doesn't create massive delays the way it would for two track systems such as the Washington Metro. Honestly, it would be insulting to hear people say Tokyo's metro is better than NYC subway; saying Toronto subway is better than NYC's is just blasphemy.
The MTA does have its own faults, but it does run efficiently [95% of the time]. You have to admit that @ $2, it's a relatively cheap ride going from A to B, whether they are long or short distances, it's still $2.

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #589
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
The MTA does have its own faults, but it does run efficiently [95% of the time]. You have to admit that @ $2, it's a relatively cheap ride going from A to B, whether they are long or short distances, it's still $2.
I agree. I'd say drunkenmonkey is going a bit too far. Our subway is constantly going through maintenance which causes constant delays and changes in routes that makes everything ever so confusing even for some ny'ers. Even so, I wouldn't trade it for any other system in the world(although it would be nice to have more modern and clean stations). God bless the express lines...

Last edited by koolkid; February 24th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #590
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
Well, ok...back to topic...

My major gripe with the NYC subway is the map. It's like spaghetti. I wish that they would make it more people-friendly like what the Tube has done. Although it looks almost nothing like it really does in real life, it does a good job of making the map easier to understand.

In contrast, anyone who doesn't live in the city and doesn't use the subway on a regular basis won't know how the hell to get out of Manhattan unless they pay extra, extra attention.

And, they could make it a little cleaner...but that maybe asking too much. While it may not be the prettiest metro or the most easiest to understand, the NYC subway does serve it's purpose very well, and is one of the best metro's in my opinion. Best in the US, for sure.
They tried changing the map in the 1970s, and people got really mad with the geographical liberties taken. Seems that because of NYC's orthogonal street setup, people "know" where they are a lot better than in London's tangle of medieval streets, so while most don't know exactly where a stop is in relation to other landmarks in London, if there were an instance of a 96th St stop on the 1-2-3 appearing further downtown than 86th on the A-C-B-D, it would be very confusing, even though it might be more useful for a schematic diagram.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #591
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

It would be stupid to have a geographically accurate map for London Underground, the lines are too wobbly (see here) New York's subway is more straight because of NY's grid street pattern.

iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #592
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18136

Well, the moving screen maps on the new trains are not geographically accurate, but are adequate enough to tell the riders where they are.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #593
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTA director: NYC plans could include LaGuardia Airport train
3 March 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - Freight rail lines could be converted into subway lines, new regional train stops could open in the Bronx and a train could take passengers directly to LaGuardia Airport under a 40-year plan proposed by the head of the region's transit agency.

In a "State of the MTA" speech Monday, Metropolitan Transportation Authority executive director Elliot Sander proposed several long-range projects for the agency that runs the city's subways, buses and suburban train lines.

The MTA could look to "underutilized or dormant" services like a freight rail line in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn and available land in Rockaway Beach in Queens to extend subway service in decades to come, Sander said.

Sander also said the MTA would explore creating a second AirTrain service to connect LaGuardia Airport to Long Island Rail Road service in Woodside, Queens, as well as light rail service on Staten Island and new Metro-North train stops in the Bronx.

Sander said the MTA would add $30 million worth of promised new service this year, increasing service on 11 subway lines and extending several bus routes.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #594
Maelstrom

Likes (Received): 3

I'm surprised that the MTA hasn't done that ealier [connect to LaGuardia]. For such a transit orientated city, you would think that all major transport hubs would be connected. I hate to compare apples and oranges, but all of London's airports are connected, with numerous lines going all over London. It's unfortunate to see NYC lacking something that's really so crucial...

Maelstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #595
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Likes (Received): 8

LaGuardia is mostly a domestic airport. JFK and Neward has more international flights, in consideration of that, mess transit is more necessary to connect JFK and Newark than LaGuardia because it can create a more diversified impression of New York City. My point of view anyway.

ChinaboyUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #596
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Would an extension of the JFK AirTrain from Jamaica into La Guardia be of any use? This was one of the earlier inceptions of the AirTrain service. Only the JFK line got built. Both airports would have connections at Jamaica (to LIRR and subways and buses) which would help for inter-airport transfers. Getting a single seat ride from Jamaica to Newark is another problem.

The La Guardia AirTrain can continue west of the airport to Woodside as suggested. A connection to Astoria would be better as it is closer and the N/W lines serve more areas than the 7. If the Port Authority (who has jurisdictional authority for the line) approves, perhaps a stop can be thrown in at Shea Stadium (read additional revenue) which would tie in to both the 7 and Port Washington LIRR.

Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #597
xote
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
I'm surprised that the MTA hasn't done that ealier [connect to LaGuardia]. For such a transit orientated city, you would think that all major transport hubs would be connected. I hate to compare apples and oranges, but all of London's airports are connected, with numerous lines going all over London. It's unfortunate to see NYC lacking something that's really so crucial...
London being the capital and largest city of the country can suck the funds it wants to out of the UK's treasury. New York City is not even the capital of its state, let alone the country.

Simple enough. Does not make it right, but, everyone loves to treat this city like a cash cow, and we lack the ability at the state and federal level to get the infrastructure we need.

xote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #598
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Well said. I'm sure if ny was the capital of the U.S we'd be twice as important than we are today...

koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #599
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaboyUSA View Post
LaGuardia is mostly a domestic airport. JFK and Neward has more international flights, in consideration of that, mess transit is more necessary to connect JFK and Newark than LaGuardia because it can create a more diversified impression of New York City. My point of view anyway.
Whether domestic or international every airport needs a reliable and quick mass transit connection to the city and maybe most of all the city centre.

flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #600
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ Agreed. We should judge by passenger numbers, not the type of airport.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway