daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #741
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
If we really wanted to be "fair," we'd increase gasoline taxes, unbundle parking from residential units, charge market rate for parking, etc., and internalize the true cost of driving to the driver. I'm not a fan of bloated transit projects with poor ridership projections, but the only way to remedy the situation we have in the US is to step away from dependence on private autos and embrace transit and transit-oriented development.
I believe if you look at budgets a a considerably larger cost per rider is provided for mass transit systems than the cost per user for highway systems. The numbers are very hard to extract in most cases (probably purposely so) but the ones I've been able to find definitely show this.

mrsmartman liked this post
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #742
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

That's because the indirect costs of cars aren't taken into account. The enormous amount of "free" parking is a classic example of this.

jarbury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #743
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
The roadway user has been getting a bargain for decades now because government policy (at least in the US) has been geared towards encouraging the use of private automobiles. In a reverse of your argument, I don't use a car, but I'm still paying so other people can use theirs. How is that any more fair than funding a transit system that doesn't break even? If we charged the transit user what it actually costs to provide that transit, I would expect we'd see a large shift of people from transit to autos, even in our current situation of high gasoline prices.

If we really wanted to be "fair," we'd increase gasoline taxes, unbundle parking from residential units, charge market rate for parking, etc., and internalize the true cost of driving to the driver. I'm not a fan of bloated transit projects with poor ridership projections, but the only way to remedy the situation we have in the US is to step away from dependence on private autos and embrace transit and transit-oriented development.
When people jump into cars, they pay the price of congestion in lost time and productivity. It's an indirect opportunity cost.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #744
jarbury
Resident Planner

If you compare the amount of people's income they spend on transportation in the USA with somewhere like Japan you realise how much more efficient public transport is. I think it's something like 18% for the USA and 9% for Japan. Of course, within the USA it varies greatly, with those in the far-flung suburbs spending the greatest, unsurprising as they would use their cars the most.

Old August 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #745
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
If you compare the amount of people's income they spend on transportation in the USA with somewhere like Japan you realise how much more efficient public transport is. I think it's something like 18% for the USA and 9% for Japan. Of course, within the USA it varies greatly, with those in the far-flung suburbs spending the greatest, unsurprising as they would use their cars the most.
I'm not sure that a direct comparison is possible because the numbers you cite our for transportation costs in general not just costs to commute to and from work. The Japanese populace's living philosophy is so completely different than ours. They don't take vacations like we do, in the majority of cases they live very near their relatives, etc. In addition the country of Japan is tiny in comparison to America so even commuting cross country is a relative short trip.

Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #746
jarbury
Resident Planner

Generally 'vacation type' trips account for a tiny percentage of actual travelling. The biggest slice is 'trips for errands' like shopping, taking the kids to school and other stuff like that, the next biggest slice is commuting. In places like Japan people don't need to drive forever to conduct these activities, and therefore as driving is actually much more expensive than using public transport, they spend a much smaller amount of their money on transportation.

Old August 6th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #747
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegneypl View Post
Just wanted to throw this into the pot. Mary Peters, Secretary of Transportation wants to borrow money from mass-trasnit funds to make up the difference of highway taxes lost due the the reduction of driving done by U.S. citizens as of late. In the U.K., the taxes on fuel are astronomical, but they are used to it and it's figured in to daily living costs. Here, we still get gas on the cheap, but this suggestion by the government is ludicrous. They tell you not to drive and use less fuel. They tell you to use mass-transit whenever possible. Drive less, less tax revenue. Use mass-transit which will lose funding to keep it going, not to mention any type of improvements. That's exactly what NYC has done. There is no accountability with taxed funds left in this country. Moneys are collected and used for whatever they decide and we are instructed to do what they say. Raise the taxes on fuel. Stop funding pork and outside projects, such as a war we never should've started and get things back on track! Take the express to success! woo woo

Bush administration logic: take money from mass transit which has seen a surge in riders due to high gas prices to pay for highway construction when people are driving less because of high gas prices!!

hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #748
hegneypl

Likes (Received): 8

BUSH

It makes me think and wonder, what in the hell were people thinking in 2000 and 2004. Logic? I doubt the man could even spell the word. I hate to discuss politics because everyone has an opinon that comes from thier way of thinking, usually wrought from family influence. I am not saying that as a fact, just my observation. Local politics in my area are no better when it comes to transit. No interstate passneger rail service since 1960. No intra-state since 1987. U.S. Route 22 cuts through the area with 4 lanes of traffic. The state of Pennsylvania wants to widen it for 20 miles to 4 lanes in each direction. By the time it gets done, if ever, it will cost over close to 400 million dollars. We really need some kind of rail service to connects us to the opposite side of New Jersey. If we could connect with Newark, that would be a jumping off point to connect into NYC. I can wheeze about this all I want, but to no avail. I seriousl wish they'd tunnel across New Jersey and connect the PATH to the Pa. border. It (or any rail system) would alleviate much traffic congestion on I-78 and make for a more efficient, less polluting and cost-efficient way of travel. Right, let's as G.W. if he'll sign the bill to make it happen.

hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #749
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Any way to get rid of all the political crap in the middle of it?

G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #750
hkskyline
Hong Kong

NYC transit plans anti-groping campaign
6 August 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - People who get groped on crowded subway trains will be encouraged to report it as part of an anti-groping campaign being launched by New York City Transit next month.

The agency expects to distribute 2,000 posters throughout the subway system that tell people who are sexually harassed on trains to report it to an employee or police officer.

A survey released last year by the Manhattan borough president's office on sexual harassment in the subways found that 63 percent of those responding reported they were harassed in some way, whether it was random groping, lewd comments or unwanted advances. The report was compiled from 1,790 responses collected from New York City straphangers in all five boroughs.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old August 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #751
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Panel discusses preparedness of NYC's subways, bridges and buildings in face of climate change
12 August 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - Flooded subways. Bridges deteriorating in the hot sun. Rising seas nipping at the edges of Manhattan. Those scenarios are up for review by a panel of scientists, government officials and private sector representatives studying how the city's infrastructure will hold up to climate change.

The Climate Change Adaptation Task Force met Tuesday for the first time as part of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's plan to address global warming in New York City, which already includes orders to switch the city's taxi fleet to hybrids by 2012 and to retrofit city buildings to meet greener standards.

Experts on the panel said the potential consequences of global warming could include more frequent storms, flooding throughout the city's coastal and lowland areas, repeated blackouts on a power grid stressed to its limits and bridges that deteriorate under the heat.

"We have to adapt to the environmental changes that have already taken place, or that we can reasonably expect will occur because of climate change," Bloomberg said.

The panel will begin its work by studying the city's infrastructure to better understand the city's preparedness for possibilities such as more catastrophic storms, hotter temperatures and a rising sea level.

"The city was built with an assumption of an environmental baseline, and climate change in many ways changes that baseline," said panel co-chair William Solecki, director of The Institute for Sustainable Cities at Hunter College.

"Some of these transformations can potentially be catastrophic as large storms; others might be more subtle and difficult to discern over the short term," Solecki said.

The mayor has asked the group to produce a report and inventory of existing at-risk infrastructure, plus plans to make those areas more secure, in one year.

The panel has also been asked to draft guidelines for new construction that take into account anticipated effects of climate change.

Old August 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #752
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Smart thinking, NYC / MTA!

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #753
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Effort to display NYC subway arrival info delayed
24 September 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City subway riders will have to wait until at least 2011 before electronic message boards that display train arrival times are installed at 152 stations.

The $185 million project is supposed to bring the message boards to stations along the Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 lines. But software and technical glitches have stalled the effort.

Straphangers Campaign spokesman Gene Russianoff says the delay is a "drag." He says riders want to know when trains are due to arrive and when they are delayed.

The boards are currently functioning -- in a pilot program -- on the L line between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Other projects intended to give the subway system a high-tech overhaul are behind schedule, including bus tracking and computer-operated trains.

Old September 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #754
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

im a fan of the ny subway but man, reading this thread always depresses me

jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #755
Stuu

Likes (Received): 41

I was shocked when I went to NY for the first time earlier this year that the Subway doesn't say when the next train is due. It makes standing on the platform so much less stressful if you know that SOMEWHERE a train is coming, even if its 10 minutes away or whatever

Stuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #756
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Effort to display NYC subway arrival info delayed
24 September 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City subway riders will have to wait until at least 2011 before electronic message boards that display train arrival times are installed at 152 stations.

The $185 million project is supposed to bring the message boards to stations along the Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 lines. But software and technical glitches have stalled the effort.

Straphangers Campaign spokesman Gene Russianoff says the delay is a "drag." He says riders want to know when trains are due to arrive and when they are delayed.

The boards are currently functioning -- in a pilot program -- on the L line between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Other projects intended to give the subway system a high-tech overhaul are behind schedule, including bus tracking and computer-operated trains.
Guess those boards will be hanging for another 3 years before anything will be displayed. Terrible.

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #757
Chusanch

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
Guess those boards will be hanging for another 3 years before anything will be displayed. Terrible.
I thought those things only happened in Zaragoza...

Chusanch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #758
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
im a fan of the ny subway but man, reading this thread always depresses me
Only because New Yorkers are too humble and some people are wrongfully bashing NYC's subway. Many people overlook the positive side of NYC subway. Many subway stations in NYC are nicely refurbished, the subway has outstanding features like 24h operation and express lines, it is also quite safe nowadays.

And many other systems in the world also don't have countdown timers.

metrobits.org
| Follow metrobits.org on Twitter

micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #759
wonwiin

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
And many other systems in the world also don't have countdown timers.
That is because these systems are on time .

wonwiin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #760
jarbury
Resident Planner

I am really surprised NYC doesn't have them. I thought that was the kind of crap that only cities such as Auckland have to put up with.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway