daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM   #801
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

Already said the dog ate your homework? Get note from transit agency blaming NYC subway delay
30 November 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - People late for school or work because of New York City subway delays can get notes from the transit agency to give to their teachers or bosses.

The New York City Transit division says it gives passengers the notes so they can prove they're not lying about being delayed while riding the subway.

Passengers request the delay verification letters over the phone. NYC Transit verifies the date and time of the delay and sends an official note in the mail in one or two weeks. It mails 34,000 notes a year.

Each letter shows the subway line taken and the durations of the trip and the delay.

NYC Transit is working on an online system so it can accept Internet requests and e-mail the excuse letters.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

mrsmartman liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM   #802
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
What's a one-day boycott going to do? They'll get all of their business back the next day. There is no competition to the subway really. It's a shame that consumers really don't have a choice here. Any boycott will be totally ineffective.
You can always drive around New York City. Have fun with that.

What do you mean competition ayways? Like a separate operator on the subway system? That would never work.

hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #803
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Yeah spend zillions on an unnecessary parallel network just to offer a competitive alternative. Great idea.

jarbury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM   #804
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

When did I ever say that? I only said that there's no competition to the NYS, so what's a boycott going to do if they have all the power? Tell me where I proposed introducing the competition that you think I proposed.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29

phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM   #805
jarbury
Resident Planner

What competition do you propose? More freeways?

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM   #806
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Already said the dog ate your homework? Get note from transit agency blaming NYC subway delay
30 November 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - People late for school or work because of New York City subway delays can get notes from the transit agency to give to their teachers or bosses.

The New York City Transit division says it gives passengers the notes so they can prove they're not lying about being delayed while riding the subway.

Passengers request the delay verification letters over the phone. NYC Transit verifies the date and time of the delay and sends an official note in the mail in one or two weeks. It mails 34,000 notes a year.

Each letter shows the subway line taken and the durations of the trip and the delay.

NYC Transit is working on an online system so it can accept Internet requests and e-mail the excuse letters.
Who published this, please?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #807
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ Associated Press - the American newswire service

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old December 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #808
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
What competition do you propose? More freeways?
More freeways? Yeah right. No competition there. Really, I don't know. I'd rather see roads fully paid for by the people who use them (instead of the subsidy we have now) and the rates for transit based on optimization of profit (instead of the quasi-welfare program that it is today). This way, you can get private companies to enter the market, you introduce competition, and the consumers benefit.

Also, before anyone asks if I would want the whole subway system to be passed over to a private company - yes and no. Right now, there's no way that NY could be without that subway system. The city would be devastated with such a quick rise in the price of transportation. It would make no sense logistically. You have to do things gradually in order to let the city adjust without any terrible breakdowns.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29

phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #809
jarbury
Resident Planner

Has a congestion charage for Manhatten (like London's one) ever been seriously considered? I guess the tolls on the bridges & tunnels already kind of act as a congestion charge.

Old December 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #810
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
30 November 2008

Not as effective as Japan where they hand out the excuse paper/slip instantly.

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #811
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
The only direct bus routes between Staten Island and Manhattan that I can remember are the express routes which charge a premium for the service. The only other option would be to catch a bus across the Verrazano to Brooklyn. From there it another bus or subway into Manhattan. Given how isolated Staten Island is from the other boroughs, I guess it's the MTA's way of compensating.
OK, thanks for clarifying... Still seems a little backward, especially since they had charged for it in the past. I think if you live on an island, you should expect to have fewer transportation options (and expect to pay for them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury
Has a congestion charage for Manhatten (like London's one) ever been seriously considered? I guess the tolls on the bridges & tunnels already kind of act as a congestion charge.
There have been several studies and proposals... If I remember correctly, I believe the latest one made it past the city level but got rejected by the state.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #812
Matty

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Can someone in the know explain why the SI ferry is free?
Seems ridiculous to me, so I imagine there's something I'm not understanding. Are these people paying higher fares elsewhere (such as for bus service to get to the ferry)? Boats are hardly cheap to run... Even a 50-cent fare is a bargain.
It isn't run by the MTA, so it wouldn't be subject to the MTA fare to begin with. The price of the ferry does not involve the MTA in any way.

Secondly, it's a huge tourist draw. It generates lots of economic activity on either terminal side.

Thirdly, putting a fare on the ferry would require millions of dollars -- they'd have to tear up the two new terminals they built, install all of that equipment, then hire a full staffing of people to run them... A 50 cent fare would barely pay for itself.

Why bother? It just really isn't worth it to charge for the ride.

Matty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #813
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Report blames NYC subway-related deaths on booze
17 December 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - Next time you stagger down into a New York City subway station after a night of heavy drinking - think again.

Researchers at Columbia University say nearly half all victims of accidental subway-related fatalities in New York City between 1990 and 2003 were drunk.

The Mailman School of Public Health report says unintentional deaths accounted for 47.2 percent of all subway deaths. Suicides accounted for 51.3 percent and homicides just 1.5 percent.

A New York City Transit spokesman says the agency is reviewing the report and will consider a public information campaign.

Old December 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #814
hkskyline
Hong Kong

NY Transit officials considering $3 subway fare
23 December 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - Get ready for $3 subway and bus fares.

That's a worst-case-scenario being considered by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which must close a projected $1.2 billion shortfall next year.

The MTA released a list of proposed maximum fares and tolls in a notice providing the schedule for eight public hearings to discuss the planned increases and service cuts.

Besides the single ride subway and bus hike from $2 to $3, the authority is looking at raising the weekly MetroCard from $25 to $32 and the 30-day unlimited ride MetroCard from $81 to $105.

Tolls on MTA-operated bridges and tunnels, including the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel and the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge --formerly the Triborough Bridge - could rise to $7.

The hearing notice also said some fares on Metro-North and the Long Island Rail Road could rise by as much as a third.

The first hearing is scheduled for Jan. 14.

Old December 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #815
Chusanch

Likes (Received): 21

Good way to promote the use of public transport...

Chusanch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #816
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chusanch View Post
Good way to promote the use of public transport...
Its New York, not LA. It's more of a given than a choice.

BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #817
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Its New York, not LA. It's more of a given than a choice.
I have read that 80 per cent of New Yorkers do not have cars. Is it true?

serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:11 AM   #818
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7301

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı View Post
I have read that 80 per cent of New Yorkers do not have cars. Is it true?
On average I think only 40% of New Yorkers have cars (blame Staten Island for the high number). In Manhattan it's at 95% WITHOUT cars.

geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #819
Filip7370
Modern transit...

Likes (Received): 5

May I ask, how the R40M are doing? Because in the internet we'he many iformations about their retirement. I know that there are deliveries of new stock, but how it influence on older cars?

Filip7370 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM   #820
jarbury
Resident Planner

What's exciting in 2009 for the New York Subway? Anything new?

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway