daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2005, 03:22 AM   #81
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
I didn't see a single person use a cell phone on the Tokyo subway. Perhaps the Japanese want to preserve the quietness of their transit vehicles and not chatter away in loud conversations.
According to my aunt who lives in Japan, she said that people talking on subway are considered rude.

mrsmartman liked this post
sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:33 AM   #82
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

In Barcelona lines 6 & 7 there is mobile phone coverage 4 years ago... Now extending to lines 1, 3, 5 & 11.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allÝ. Norreport+12000

Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:46 AM   #83
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Well its easy to say that when Singapore has a smaller sized network
that its shocking has little to do with the size of the network; its shocking because cellphone coverage is something taken for granted by most.

Quote:
According to my aunt who lives in Japan, she said that people talking on subway are considered rude.
i was told the same by japanese too.

heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:36 PM   #84
Khanabadosh

Likes (Received): 14

I cant believe that mobile coverage is not available in NY. Mobile service is available in almost every metro system in Europe. In Netherlands it is available since long.

Khanabadosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM   #85
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

New York has an insane number of tunnels, just as the London Underground. There are significant logistical and cost concerns of retrofitting these tunnels with receptors than smaller systems such as Hong Kong.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:42 PM   #86
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

mad_nick - The cut + cover network in New York is different to the cut + cover in use in London. The difference is in the stations: Most cut + cover stations in London tend to be in cuttings with mini-train sheds (eg Notting Hill), with tunnels under the roads and buildings at the beginning and end of the platforms. These 'holes' mean that parts of network are accessible with a mobile as a connection can be maintained (depending on the distances between stations) by the open-air sections of the stations. Its when the distances between cut + cover stations become longer that coverage is poorer. I can't think of any open-air station/station with access to the air above in Mid or Lower Manhattan....which is where most of the heavy rail stations in New York are located. That said, the immense amount of skyscrapers above don't help with coverage, just like London having more deep level lines than New York means coverage is practically zero.

The general pattern in New York is that it has more of its network underground than London, but London overall tends to have deeper underground lines.

heirloom - Honestly I don't find it that shocking, Singapore has what, around 43.3km of underground railways? Cities like London and New York have at least 5x that amount in just the Underground/Subway, combine the figure for the tunnels that various commuter lines use (which also run around and interact with the Underground/Subway lines within the city proper) and the figure shoots up even more! London isn't stopping there either, as currently two massive tunnels (with a brief gap for the 1.1km long Stratford Station), each tunnel 19km in length are being built for the opening of the CTRL in 2008. This length alone is nearly equivalent to half the tunnelling of the entire heavy rail network in Singapore!

Size does indeed mean everything and allowing mobile phone usage across the network isn't as important as station upgrades. Afterall resources are stretched enough as it is and quite frankly something like mobile phones is less important.

Quite simply - there's a time and a place for mobiles, the tube as such is not a place.

nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM   #87
soulkorea

Likes (Received): 2

It is about time,
BUT,
I can just imagine how bannoying some people are going to be.

soulkorea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:41 AM   #88
United-States-of-America
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Awesome!

United-States-of-America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:19 PM   #89
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkorea
It is about time,
BUT,
I can just imagine how bannoying some people are going to be.
There are some positive side to this. If there is an emergency, they could call up. Also if there was a train delay, they could call up their friend and tell them that they are going to be late.

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #90
BKKinTO
More than you know

Likes (Received): 1

Bangkok subway can too while you are riding.

BKKinTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #91
chavez
city builder

Likes (Received): 10

New York Air train

I found no threads about it, sorry if I missed, then please point me to.
My question is, if anybody as any knowledge about Air train to be extended ?
Ride on this was a nice experience for me, but I wish it was covering more of NYC and be...cheaper ?

greets

chavez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #92
Roch5220
My dog rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
if anybody as any knowledge about Air train to be extended ?
Air train expansion - get in line behind the other capital rebuilding/expansion projects.

First, " Rebuild and Renew New York StateTransportation Bond Act" has to be approved this November, which will free up money for capital reconstruction and expansion.

You'll be happy to know that in the advertising for this Act, they specifically mention 'airtrain', albeit after the 2nd avenue subway. Hopefully they advertised it in order of priority.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/capital/

Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #93
Quente
Alß-lß-˘, ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘

Likes (Received): 14

I checked out the link that you submitted. What I've never understood is why they're proposing a direct link via Long Island Rail Road from Kennedy Airport to Downtown Manhattan now - why didn't they do this 10 years ago when they started the AirTrain project? My big gripe with AirTrain is that you need to transfer and can't ride directly into Manhattan.

Presumably this need was recognized many years ago - why now, after they spent millions on AirTrain, are they finally considering a more efficient direct link? Is it simply the case that a less-than-ideal solution such as AirTrain was better than no solution at all? Also, what impact would this have on AirTrain ridership?

Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #94
chavez
city builder

I think they would have much better financial result even if invested more on AirTrain if they made it to JFK directly from Manhattan, than made anyway, huge investment so far, but made Airtrain not a convenient JFK connection at all.

greets

chavez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #95
Roch5220
My dog rules

I am also confused about the JFK/lower manhattan link. They propose a full service train so I am assuming its going to be a commutter train, yet they advertise elsewhere for airtrain (which I assume the link isn't going to be airtrain, but they have other connection ideas for it).

Old October 12th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #96
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Linking AirTrain directly with Manhattan would be utter and complete nonsense. The extra costs for the construction of a direct link would severely outweigh the extra benefits.
The are many much more needed rail projects in NYC, like the Second Avenue Subway. They have talked about the construction of this line since at least 1929 (!), so what's 10 years of AirTrain compared to that? The Lexington line has reached it's maximum capacity a long time ago, so the SAS would be a welcome relief. So would be a second trans Hudson rail tunnel.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #97
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

I ride the lexington ave 4,5,6 line and desperatley want that 2nd ave line. i dont know if this airtrain to downtown will ever happen. the first one went so incredibly over budget- somewhere in the billions and it was just 15 miles from JFK to Jamaica. This new idea to span all the way through brooklyn, cross a river and hit downtown could very well break the bank. Im gonna put it down as a vision.

Also at the new transit hub they just started building at the wtc site they say they are leaving a spot where in the future they would build the air train connection so i think they are holding it off, letting the other projects go forth first. 2ave sub, 7 train ext, new penn station.

Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #98
lokinyc
chek ur hed

Likes (Received): 3

I also agree that the 2nd Ave subway is of greater priority. The 4,5,6 are jammed at rush hour and the densely populated and booming East Side is not served well enough.

lokinyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #99
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

I agree about the priority of the second av subway, one of the other good things about it are the new trunk lines that would be built going into the bronx and queens (with one serving laguardia!)

I hear you lex riders, I ride the 4 everday and somedays it just feels like rush hour all of the time

Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #100
Roch5220
My dog rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
I

I hear you lex riders, I ride the 4 everday and somedays it just feels like rush hour all of the time
Well, thats because the MTA seems to bleed trains in the off peak hours to ensure full trains. They really need to increase service in the off hours along the 456.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway