daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1021
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18136

So the ashpalt surface will be replaced by concrete panels for good or this is only for construction purposes?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

mrsmartman liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #1022
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
So the ashpalt surface will be replaced by concrete panels for good or this is only for construction purposes?
No, I'm pretty sure that's temporary. I believe most streets here have a concrete base...?

herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #1023
Shmack
Surfin' bird

Likes (Received): 9

I just keep in mind this episode from Die Hard (part 3 i guess) when Bruce Willis was running along the street chasing the subway train.. So as he was running he was able to see the train through the drainage grating, and he used it to jump on the roof of the car. I understand the movie is not the best source but it's just how i got it. There was no any soil or smth.. just concrete.

Aprendimos a quererte
desde la historica altura
donde el sol de tu bravura
le puso cerco a la muerte.

Shmack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #1024
hkskyline
Hong Kong

NYC transit faces debt, funding challenges-S&P

NEW YORK, Aug 17 (Reuters) - New York City's cash-hungry public transit system faces challenges paying its massive debt and maintaining service, despite a new financial plan, Standard & Poor's said on Monday.

The latest funding program unveiled by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), the largest mass transit system in the United States, leaves it in a better position than a prior plan approved in February, the credit rating agency said in a report.

But the MTA faces difficult decisions on how to raise extra revenue, maintain existing services, fund expansion and keep a lid on debt," said S&P analyst Laura Macdonald.

"If the authority's assumed funding sources don't come through, we believe those decisions will become a lot tougher," said Macdonald, primary author of the report.

For now, S&P is not expecting to adjust ratings on the authority's debt, which totaled $26 billion at end fiscal 2008. The agency rates MTA at A, or sixth-highest investment grade.

The MTA last week unveiled a $25.5 billion five-year capital plan that would enable it to buy 500 subway cars, install a touchless fare collection system and speed up buses by allowing riders to pay before boarding.

The authority said it would need another $10 billion to pay for all the improvements it wants.

The new plan followed the New York state legislature's approval in May of a payroll tax and motor vehicle fees as a revenue stream for the MTA. That helped the transit authority avoid steep fare increases and severe service cuts.

The authority relies heavily on property taxes to fund its operations and has been hit hard by the housing slump.

The new taxes will support the first two years of the MTA's capital plan but so far, there is no funding for the remaining three years.

"On the capital side, the program makes a number of funding assumptions that, in our opinion, could add further pressure to the MTA's finances if they don't come through," said Macdonald.

These include an expected 25 percent increase in federal formula funding and the approval of the next federal transportation funding reauthorization act in the fall.

"Either assumption could not materialize, resulting in the authority receiving less funding or a delay in funding," said the analyst.

The program also assumes $100 million a year in city funds for the capital program, up from a current $80 million a year. It further assumes $600 million from MTA asset sales, pay-as-you-go capital, or other sources, all of which may not materialize, S&P said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old August 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1025
Ultramatic
Gotham City

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
I LOVE that site. :P

Ah, it seems all three of us have struck a mutual point. To people and not cars!
So whats that your driving in your avatar? An R-44?

Ultramatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM   #1026
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7267

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Yep. It wasn't just one neoliberal who brought everything crashing down, it was the whole corrupt lot of them.

(BTW, neoliberal means supply-sider/Thatcherite/Reaganite/corporate conservative in the US and UK)
Thatcher and Reagan were not liberals in either the European (true) or American sense; they only believed in the economic aspect of it. Thatcher embraced it more and she didn't repeal the provision.

geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:04 AM   #1027
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramatic View Post
So whats that your driving in your avatar? An R-44?
Yeah, well if you live in PR, you need a car. The bus system doesn't even have a schedule. what the fork?!?!

Toyota Tacoma. >_>

davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1028
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
it is only for construction purposes temporarily.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1029
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
No, I'm pretty sure that's temporary. I believe most streets here have a concrete base...?
true

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #1030
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Thatcher and Reagan were not liberals in either the European (true) or American sense; they only believed in the economic aspect of it. Thatcher embraced it more and she didn't repeal the provision.
Well they sure took the liberal route on the welfare state. That's the terminology I learned when it came to bare bones government involvement.

So those construction photos, are those of the Second Street Subway or a different project? Pardon my ignorance.

dl3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #1031
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelving...21667/sizes/l/

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM   #1032
hkskyline
Hong Kong

NYC lawmaker wants 'Bad' subway station renamed for Michael Jackson; MTA says honor unlikely
24 August 2009

NEW YORK (AP) - A New York City lawmaker wants to see Michael Jackson honored at a subway station where the star made the music video for "Bad."

Councilwoman Letitia James wants a plaque placed at Brooklyn's Hoyt-Schermerhorn station -- or to have "Jackson" added to the station's name.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Kevin Ortiz said Monday it's unlikely. James, undeterred, plans a petition drive.

Jackson, who died June 25, shot the Martin Scorsese-directed music video at the downtown Brooklyn station in 1987.

Ortiz says the MTA prohibits station plaques. The agency is developing naming-rights guidelines.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1033

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
As big a failure as today's British economy thanks to the policies instituted by that bitch.
Todays british enconomy is a result of labour, not Ms Thatcher.
She saved your asses back when the economy was dropping fast and unions behaved like Stasi agents.

1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1034
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

They should.

- A
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1035
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

I never knew Thatcher had anything to do with the NYC subway....
Anyway. Question to someone who might know this; why is the PATH system not connected to the NYC subway at 34th street? Is it a matter of gauge or power supply or are there other reasons? Also, are there any plans to connect the Staten Island Railway to Manhattan?

Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1036
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoser_barcelona View Post
I never knew Thatcher had anything to do with the NYC subway....
Anyway. Question to someone who might know this; why is the PATH system not connected to the NYC subway at 34th street? Is it a matter of gauge or power supply or are there other reasons? Also, are there any plans to connect the Staten Island Railway to Manhattan?
Well the PATH is independent of the subway-they're not operated by the same company. PATH is operated by the Port Authority, whereas the subway is operated by the MTA.

I don't believe there are any plans to connect the SIR to Manhattan or Brooklyn, although this would be a lot more rider-friendly and would definitely encourage mass transit use, as people would not have to wait for the ferry anymore.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM   #1037
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Well the PATH is independent of the subway-they're not operated by the same company. PATH is operated by the Port Authority, whereas the subway is operated by the MTA.

I don't believe there are any plans to connect the SIR to Manhattan or Brooklyn, although this would be a lot more rider-friendly and would definitely encourage mass transit use, as people would not have to wait for the ferry anymore.
I've read that there is a tunnel near the Verrazano that runs a couple of hundred feet under the narrows and then stops. Thanks to our old buddy Robert Moses.

There have been proposals for years for a SIRT link to Brooklyn, Manhattan and NJ via the Goethhels (sp) Bridge. It is also a pet project of a few Staten Island politicians, but thats as far as it goes right now.

dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM   #1038
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
I've read that there is a tunnel near the Verrazano that runs a couple of hundred feet under the narrows and then stops. Thanks to our old buddy Robert Moses.
I don't think Robert Moses was involved with this...I believe at the time he was head of the parks department.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1039
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
. . . There have been proposals for years for a SIRT link to Brooklyn, Manhattan and NJ via the Goethhels (sp) Bridge. It is also a pet project of a few Staten Island politicians, but thats as far as it goes right now.
Given the direction that transit is developing on Staten Island, it looks as if any rail-based connection to the rest of NYC will most likely be through New Jersey. Hopefully an arrangement similar to what the Metro North has on the Port Jervis and Pascack Valley lines out of Penn Station can be worked out.

An ideal situation would be to piggyback a line on the Verrazano bridge into Brooklyn. That'd require a large chunk of infrastructure cash to get it going though. I'm not sure if that'd be faster than getting of at St. George and taking the ferry to Manhattan.

Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1040
hkskyline
Hong Kong

TRAINING THE DOOR 'BOORS'
5 September 2009
New York Post

The subway conductors keep telling you, over and over. But you still don't listen, do you?

"Ladies and gentleman, please do not hold the train doors open," they say.

But out of habit - or misguided good manners - straphangers regularly block a closing door, often with a foot, an arm or a bag. The MTA says this delays many trains.

Faced with straphangers who increasingly hold open train doors - causing delays and potential safety hazards - the MTA is rolling out a new ad blitz to try to curb the practice.

"PLEASE DON'T BLOCK THE DOORS," say emphatic new signs being posted in the system's 2,200 subway cars.

"You delay the train and everyone on it," the signs say. "Help this train and the next one stay on schedule."

Last year, more than 9,000 trains were late because of door-blocking, city officials say. That number is on track to be even higher this year, because 7,500 door delays occurred in just the first eight months of 2009.

A train is considered late if it arrives more than five minutes behind schedule.

The MTA said riders may think they are being nice to late-arriving passengers trying to make the train. But they are really being rude to those already aboard.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway