daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #1041
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Todays british enconomy is a result of labour, not Ms Thatcher.
She saved your asses back when the economy was dropping fast and unions behaved like Stasi agents.
New Labour modeled their economic policies after that ****. Notice how the Conservative Party has no real solution to address the economic crisis other than to cut spending? WTF??!! The REAL solution is to re-regulate the financial sector but that goes against Conservative ideology- proving that a REAL PROGRESSIVE PARTY is needed in the UK to undo all of the deregulation and privatization that ****ed everything up and reduced the quality of the NHS.

Oh and THatcher was a raging homophobe who set back gay rights in Britain twenty years.

mrsmartman liked this post
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1042
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
New Labour modeled their economic policies after that ****. Notice how the Conservative Party has no real solution to address the economic crisis other than to cut spending? WTF??!! The REAL solution is to re-regulate the financial sector but that goes against Conservative ideology- proving that a REAL PROGRESSIVE PARTY is needed in the UK to undo all of the deregulation and privatization that ****ed everything up and reduced the quality of the NHS.

Oh and THatcher was a raging homophobe who set back gay rights in Britain twenty years.
And this has WHAT to do with subways in NYC?

BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #1043
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

how ugly are the Ney York subway stations!!!
such big city as new york could do something batter. they need to learn from moscow how to build stations.

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio

Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1044
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
such big city as new york could do something batter. they need to learn from moscow how to build stations.
Who's going to pay for grand stations?

UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1045
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I'm wondering -- how long into the future will the NY subway be like this? There seems to be no interest in overhaul, just upkeep. I can't imagine in 2050 that NY would still not have invested in a complete modernization of their system -- stations, lines, everthing. It would be extremely funny if by then NY was still trying to maintain its decaying aging system while trying to compete with the new rising cities and their gleaming new networks. Someday someone will actually propose taking each line one by one and completly upgrading everything to make travel more pleasant and efficient, thereby upgrading the overall experience of your average worker/commuter.. Even the new trains look like relics today and aesthetics are nowhere. Nothing is put into making the trains pleasant to travel in or the stations pleasant to wait in. No wonder they have such a traffic congestion mess, the subway ain't fun to commute on everyday.

Really, NY is really lagging in PT expenditure compared to other global cities. It is a disgrace and an embarassment for the United States.

Last edited by aquablue; September 10th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #1046
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm wondering -- how long into the future will the NY subway be like this? There seems to be no interest in overhaul, just upkeep. I can't imagine in 2050 that NY would still not have invested in a complete modernization of their system -- stations, lines, everthing. It would be extremely funny if by then NY was still trying to maintain its decaying aging system while trying to compete with the new rising cities and their gleaming new networks. Someday someone will actually propose taking each line one by one and completly upgrading everything to make travel more pleasant and efficient, thereby upgrading the overall experience of your average worker/commuter.. Even the new trains look like relics today and aesthetics are nowhere. Nothing is put into making the trains pleasant to travel in or the stations pleasant to wait in. No wonder they have such a traffic congestion mess, the subway ain't fun to commute on everyday.

Really, NY is really lagging in PT expenditure compared to other global cities. It is a disgrace and an embarassment for the United States.
Thank you aquablue for dissing my subway system, it really deserves it.

But bear in mind that the NYCSubway is the second oldest in the world, AND that in America, public funding for public transit is laughed at in most places and painstakingly given even in metropolises like NYC.

New trains (such as the R142, 143, 160s) do look horrible with their white/blue color scheme; IMHO I prefer multi-colored seats since they're more vibrant and make the train more cozier. However, in a recent report, the MTA went blue b/c it was cheaper to install. But have you taken the newer trains? They are a vast improvement from the older ones.

History wise, the 1970's recession greatly messed up the MTA's finances and they are still paying back debts from a massive renovation plan that started in the 80s.

Blame the lack of investment in the MTA on politicians, not the MTA. Why? Because every time someone (such as the transit-friendly Mayor Bloomberg) tries to help out NYC and the MTA, the State Senate gets in the way b/c they're just politicians who aren't experts in economics or transportation. The cost of a current one ride fare covers less than the cost of providing that ride.

Maybe you could get a billionaire or a private company to do that line by line renovation-I've thought of it before, except it involved me and my magical powers!

For more info, and to find out the reasons why the NYCS is in such a bad shape, I highly advise you to subscribe to a blog called "Second Avenue Sagas." I do not write it, but it is a great source of info.

herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #1047
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
Yes, the stations on your Tel-Aviv metro are so much grander. Even your rolling stock says so much about the sleek, expansive system that you have there.

dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #1048
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

lol.

Subway Dave is the man!

city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #1049
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Plus Moscow stations were built in Communism. The only reason the new ones are as grand is to keep up with the rest of the system and maybe even to prove that the new government can make stations just as grand as the Communist days. Last time I checked, the USA isn't communist.

dl3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #1050
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
TRAINING THE DOOR 'BOORS'
5 September 2009
New York Post

The subway conductors keep telling you, over and over. But you still don't listen, do you?

"Ladies and gentleman, please do not hold the train doors open," they say.

But out of habit - or misguided good manners - straphangers regularly block a closing door, often with a foot, an arm or a bag. The MTA says this delays many trains.

Faced with straphangers who increasingly hold open train doors - causing delays and potential safety hazards - the MTA is rolling out a new ad blitz to try to curb the practice.

"PLEASE DON'T BLOCK THE DOORS," say emphatic new signs being posted in the system's 2,200 subway cars.

"You delay the train and everyone on it," the signs say. "Help this train and the next one stay on schedule."

Last year, more than 9,000 trains were late because of door-blocking, city officials say. That number is on track to be even higher this year, because 7,500 door delays occurred in just the first eight months of 2009.

A train is considered late if it arrives more than five minutes behind schedule.

The MTA said riders may think they are being nice to late-arriving passengers trying to make the train. But they are really being rude to those already aboard.
That's funny because I took this on August 20th.

image hosted on flickr

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #1051
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Thank you aquablue for dissing my subway system, it really deserves it.

But bear in mind that the NYCSubway is the second oldest in the world, AND that in America, public funding for public transit is laughed at in most places and painstakingly given even in metropolises like NYC.
Boston's subway system is older than NY's

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1052
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2090

That's right. London, Glasgow, Budapest, Paris and Berlin (in that order) all had subway lines opened before the opening of the first subway line in NY (7th city worldwide with a subway line).
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1053
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
That's right. London, Glasgow, Budapest, Paris and Berlin (in that order) all had subway lines opened before the opening of the first subway line in NY (7th city worldwide with a subway line).
Didn't Buenos Aires have the third subway in the world?

And Budapest was No.2, not Glasgow.

city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1054
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

B.A. only opened its first line in 1913. You're right about Budapest and Glasgow (they did open their first line in the same year (1896) though).
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1055
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Budapest had the 2nd metro that was built underground in the world. If you include open cuts, then it falls to number 4.

It depends on the definition you use.

JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #1056
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

The commonly accepted one

(just hoping not to start the 'what is a subway and what's not' discussion again...)
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #1057
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Yeah, I stick with the subway definition. No sense in debating opinion!

JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #1058
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Boston's subway system is older than NY's
But there's started off as a horse-drawn/light rail/street-level railway...not really much of a subway at first. Although I guess technically they were the first rapid-transit line.

Old September 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #1059
The Mad Navigator
High Park Man!

Likes (Received): 2

Regardless of the technology involved, the Tremont Street Subway was designed to remove transit from the surface. It's grade-seperated, and therefore can be considered Rapid Transit.

The Mad Navigator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #1060
herenthere
I♥H.K.

'09 MTV VMA: Taylor Swift Performance Analyzed

For complete text with links and video, source: http://ecstatice.blogspot.com/2009/0...rformance.html

Country/Pop star Taylor Swift made a new kind of music video last week-she did it live. For her live performance of her song "You Belong With Me" for the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City, hosted at the famous Radio City Music Hall, she took to the subway and the street. And her earlier disruption by Kanye West when she accepted her Best Female Video award, making her the first country star to win a VMA, did not affect her performance one bit. And thanks to Beyonce, who gave Swift her a chance to finish her speech when Beyonce won for Best Video of the year.

Starting out (supposedly) on the F platform at 42 St/Bryant Park, she started her song with a small ensemble on a mostly empty platform. Several seconds into her song, she tore off her jacket, revealing a stunning red dress, and walked onto a just-arrived F train.

* (Note: The authenticity of the F train is questionable, as the train shown in the intro and the train she got on (#1937 and #1928 respectively), but F trains typically use R46s. In addition, no F train stops at a station like that.

Then it became a party. Several dozen teens and fans (hired, of course) sang and danced along as the train left the station for its next stop: 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Center, where Radio City Music Hall was. She made her way down the car, which was propped with additional exposed fluorescent lights and colored ones, for when the car was turned into a club-like experience.

* (Note: At this point, it definitely is not a regular F train: the specially added "F" rollsigns onto the exterior along with interior signs resembling the new R160 'FIND' displays saying "F - 47-50 Sts Rockefeller Center" as the destination.)

Upon arriving at the station, the camera cut to the mezzanine, where Swift pushed through the emergency exits, prompting the alarm to ring, and rushed up the stairs along with her supporters. Turns out it was justified in her using the exits, as she was going out to finish her song in a huge crowd in front of Radio City, so it was an emergency...haha. And it was a huge crowd...performers on top of the Radio City sign, so many fans on the street that they had a taxi as a prop for her to stand on. She finished the song with, "THANK YOU NEW YORK!"

Of course, for an eyewitness account, check out this Youtube video of a passerby's account only an intersection away from the performance, and check out his account for more videos on this pretty rare event.

But of course the truth has to come out eventually, and as this Youtube user puts it,

"If you were wondering, the subway part of her performance was pre-taped, I saw the set and extras for it, but she didn't come til after midnight, and I couldn't stay that long :/ The part where she was outside on the taxi was live though."

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway