daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #1061
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

They will not dare: TWU must know better than to disrupt transit in labor protest today

I know some people who would take their jobs anytime...these unions are just demanding way too much from an already cash-strapped agency.

They will not dare: TWU must know better than to disrupt transit in labor protest today
NY Daily News

Wednesday, October 14th 2009, 4:00 AM

Congratulations in advance to the city's transit workers for staging their "day of outrage" protests this morning without disrupting the travels of a single rider. Well done.

Their misdirected fury notwithstanding, members of Transport Workers Union Local 100 deserve kudos for surely having the smarts to keep subways and buses rolling at peak performance.

Rule book slowdowns? Inconceivable. Wildcat work stoppages? Out of the question. Sudden attacks of the flu? Beyond the realm of possibility.

Because there will be hell to pay at the slightest hint that transit workers are again sticking it to the public in a contract dispute.

Because New York is not in a forgiving mood, having weathered the union's illegal 2005 strike, having since been hit with fare hikes and service cuts, having taken a pummeling in an economic downturn, complete with 10% unemployment.

Union leaders, including factions vying for control, know all this. They also know that the local has pledged not to engage in labor stoppages under penalty of crippling sanctions. And, perhaps most important, they know that the judge who is considering whether transit workers have a right to 11% raises over three years will be none too pleased by an extortionate flexing of muscle.

So, with reasonable confidence, we expect the TWU to put the kibosh on an anonymous text message circulated among members last week: "Do everything by the book. Slow it down. Pass it on."
Continued: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...#ixzz0TxftDcvt

mrsmartman liked this post
herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #1062
Harmen1984

Likes (Received): 4

Does anyone know why the L line is the only line without a color (gray)?

Harmen1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #1063
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Gray may not be a 'color' in the technical sense of the word, but it still can be used to denominate lines. London uses gray (actually, it's supposed to be 'silver') for the Jubilee Line; Moscow uses it for line 9 and Tokyo for its Hibiya (H) line, for example.
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1064
Harmen1984

Likes (Received): 4

OK but still, it looks different from the rest of the map. Just a coincidence?

Harmen1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:59 AM   #1065
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmen1984 View Post

OK but still, it looks different from the rest of the map. Just a coincidence?
It's just a color...perhaps because it doesn't share its track with any of the other colors?

Old October 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM   #1066
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 777

how come you guys never post pictures of ny subway , you're like the only thread where is all just talk talk talk
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1067
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia.calavera View Post
how come you guys never post pictures of ny subway , you're like the only thread where is all just talk talk talk

the subway isnt much to see

stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1068
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Still, it would be nice to see some pictures every now and then. Maybe they're afraid to have their cameras stolen if they take them down there (not unusual in NYC).

salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:32 AM   #1069
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

I'll share one...

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelving525/3658221667/

sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM   #1070
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm wondering -- how long into the future will the NY subway be like this? There seems to be no interest in overhaul, just upkeep. I can't imagine in 2050 that NY would still not have invested in a complete modernization of their system -- stations, lines, everthing. It would be extremely funny if by then NY was still trying to maintain its decaying aging system while trying to compete with the new rising cities and their gleaming new networks. Someday someone will actually propose taking each line one by one and completly upgrading everything to make travel more pleasant and efficient, thereby upgrading the overall experience of your average worker/commuter.. Even the new trains look like relics today and aesthetics are nowhere. Nothing is put into making the trains pleasant to travel in or the stations pleasant to wait in. No wonder they have such a traffic congestion mess, the subway ain't fun to commute on everyday.

Really, NY is really lagging in PT expenditure compared to other global cities. It is a disgrace and an embarassment for the United States.
Hi All. This has probably been said time and time again. But having lived in NY for a while, I think the Subway system is brilliant all year round. Fair enough, the stations, many stations could do with a bit of an upgrade (23rd street (6th) and 51st and Lex), but to be honest I think this just contrubutes to how raw and original it feels. I really like the newer trains too. I get the L and the 6 frequently and think they're rather good, not meaning to sound like a geek or anything.

Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #1071
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
But bear in mind that the NYCSubway is the second oldest in the world,
The US wikipedia says that?Well,its wrong,and you are too. Budapest's metro is the second oldest in the world. Sometimes Istanbul jumps in too with an underground funicular,which even predates us. If that is a metro too,then NY is only 4th.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM   #1072
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

NYC subway has parts dating back to the 1800's but mostly the elevated portions, and parts borrowed from now defunct systems, for example the (A) far rockaway line used to be LIRR, and the (7) uses a trolly line that used to terminate underground at grand central. The IRT's main line with the original 28 station was opened in 1904. Everything else is newer or borrowed from older systems.

- A

metsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM   #1073
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
I really like the newer trains too. I get the L and the 6 frequently and think they're rather good, not meaning to sound like a geek or anything.
I used to like the new trains, (I believe we're both called train enthusiasts or "rail fans") but I hate the R160s now. They have fewer seats and less standing room compared to the older ones, and the color scheme is just horrible. But I do find the new route displays to be pretty cool. One good improvement on the L train that never found its way into the R160 is the LED displays installed into the interior side panels that display advice...it could definitely be used for ads!

Old November 13th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #1074
beanhead4529
i like turtles

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
I used to like the new trains, (I believe we're both called train enthusiasts or "rail fans") but I hate the R160s now. They have fewer seats and less standing room compared to the older ones, and the color scheme is just horrible. But I do find the new route displays to be pretty cool. One good improvement on the L train that never found its way into the R160 is the LED displays installed into the interior side panels that display advice...it could definitely be used for ads!
its true that the new R160s seat less people but i feel that they have the same or a little more standing room compared to older stock like the R46s or R68s. and i actually like the interior color scheme alot. i hated the yellowish lights inside older cars and the fake wood panels and beige floors and walls; it made the interiors look dirtier than they actually were. the new 'whiter' lights and light blue walls and seats makes the car seem more inviting and cleaner.

beanhead4529 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #1075
metsfan
Photographer

You are comparing 60 and 75 foot cars there folks. 60 foot cars are 10 a train, 75 foot are 8 a train, 10 car trains have more doors, therefore the newer cars are going to mainly be 60 feet. There is about the same amount of seat space, and the same amount of standing space, and the train is the same length (600 feet). There are a few trains which are shorter, such as the C and the G, but that's because of less riders.

There are rumors that there will be no more 75 foot cars, due to certain limitations they bring into play in single vault curves, the corners would foul if 2 trains passed each other. The shorter cars are also more structurally rigid, requiring less material per car, this is good because it lessens the strain on the subway's bridge stints.

- A

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1076
sfgadv02

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
You are comparing 60 and 75 foot cars there folks. 60 foot cars are 10 a train, 75 foot are 8 a train, 10 car trains have more doors, therefore the newer cars are going to mainly be 60 feet. There is about the same amount of seat space, and the same amount of standing space, and the train is the same length (600 feet). There are a few trains which are shorter, such as the C and the G, but that's because of less riders.

There are rumors that there will be no more 75 foot cars, due to certain limitations they bring into play in single vault curves, the corners would foul if 2 trains passed each other. The shorter cars are also more structurally rigid, requiring less material per car, this is good because it lessens the strain on the subway's bridge stints.

- A
Actually, since October, the C has been expanded to 10-car trains now.

Old November 15th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #1077
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanhead4529 View Post
its true that the new R160s seat less people but i feel that they have the same or a little more standing room compared to older stock like the R46s or R68s. and i actually like the interior color scheme alot. i hated the yellowish lights inside older cars and the fake wood panels and beige floors and walls; it made the interiors look dirtier than they actually were. the new 'whiter' lights and light blue walls and seats makes the car seem more inviting and cleaner.
Yeah but the R46/68 seat colors were so much more vibrant lol...I guess it's just a matter of individual preference.

Quote:
- A
R46: 76 seats for B-car * 8cars/train = 608 seats/train
R160: 44 seats/car * 10 cars/train = 440 seats/train
Trade-off for fewer seats is having more doors (make it more frequent) to decrease alighting and boarding times. And they have really got to fix the technology aboard - those automated systems malfunction all the time. Yes, it's new for the MTA, but it's been a few years since R160s were introduced...

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #1078
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
Actually, since October, the C has been expanded to 10-car trains now.
Was just at an E/C station the other day, looked 8x R32 cars on the C and 10x R160 on the E. Maybe they shuffled some extra cars that needing moving onto the C once or 2x? I've seen 11 car trains before too, equipment move...

- A

Old November 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1079
beanhead4529
i like turtles

Likes (Received): 557

Subway arrival clocks comin' down tracks

BY Pete Donohue
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 4:00 AM
Related News

Finally, something straphangers can count on: Long-awaited countdown clocks telling subway riders when the next train will pull up to the platform are about to arrive at some stations.

By the end of next month, NYC Transit will activate the clocks at three No. 6 line stations in the Bronx: Longwood Ave., Brook Ave. and E. 149th St.

The agency then will roll out the new communications system to nearly 150 other stations along the Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 lines, NYC Transit Program Officer Mark Bienstock said yesterday.

The $200 million project should be completed by the end of next year or early 2011, Bienstock said after an MTA committee meeting where the project was discussed.

"One of the most stressful parts of the daily commute is not knowing when the next subway or bus will arrive," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said. "By providing real-time information we can improve the customer experience."

The No. 7 line is slated to get the communications upgrade as part of another ongoing project. The project was originally supposed to be completed in September 2006 and cost about $170 million. It's now expected to cost about $200 million.

There were problems from the beginning. One major setback occurred when a "fatal flaw" in the software was discovered a year into the project, Bienstock said.

NYC Transit began giving arrival times along the L line in 2007, part of a separate program. It has been displaying bus arrival times along 34th St. since the summer and is looking to expand to the 50th St. route.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0X7oA9F68

beanhead4529 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #1080
sfgadv02

Quote:
Was just at an E/C station the other day, looked 8x R32 cars on the C and 10x R160 on the E. Maybe they shuffled some extra cars that needing moving onto the C once or 2x? I've seen 11 car trains before too, equipment move...

- A
That's weird because I have seen 10 cars on the C.

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway