daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #1101
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10618

Quote:
Something about US designs just suck. Unless the R160s weren't designed by a US firm, there's just this plain look to them that makes it look, like you said, cold and uninviting.
What difference does it make how the cars look as long as the operate properly and are well maintained?

Because I know how awful NYC subway cars can look.

[IMG]http://i49.************/2z3ubfq.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
#1 Broadway Local Circa 1970s
This is much better..Wouldn't you agree?? What sort of design would you like to see??

[IMG]http://i45.************/2wqzccz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/11u9bb5.jpg[/IMG]

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by bd popeye; May 30th, 2010 at 04:23 AM.
bd popeye está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #1102
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

There is nothing wrong with the designs of the Bombardier cars. They look clean and provide a smooth ride. It's the offset of the filthy stations that's the problem. They no doubt provide a great deal of character, but they will always take the sheen of the vehicles. Its like driving your new Merc through a muddy field.

Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1103
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
There is nothing wrong with the designs of the Bombardier cars. They look clean and provide a smooth ride. It's the offset of the filthy stations that's the problem. They no doubt provide a great deal of character, but they will always take the sheen of the vehicles. Its like driving your new Merc through a muddy field.
The stations in NYC are much better than they where just 15-20 years ago. Remember that the NYC subway first construction was over 100 years ago. And they never ever shutdown. When I was a little kid back in the late 50s & early 60s I always though the stations were to dark.

And I'm sure someone will point out that the stations in such and such city are always clean...Like Singapore..or Barcelona. Both beautiful metros!

Last edited by bd popeye; May 31st, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:39 AM   #1104
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
The stations in NYC are much better than they where just 15-20 years ago. Remember that the NYC subway first construction was over 100 years ago. And they never ever shutdown. When I was a little kid back in the late 50s & early 60s I always though the stations were to dark.

And I'm sure someone will point out that the stations in such and such city are always clean...Like Singapore..or Barcelona. Both beautiful metros!
Yes one could say that it runs 24/7 so theres no time to clean , but the PATH system runs 24/7 and its Clean and has nice stations.....they need to overhaul some lines in NYC. Theres no excuse why the Times SQ or Penn Station stops are in very bad conditions.....
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1105
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Yes one could say that it runs 24/7 so theres no time to clean , but the PATH system runs 24/7 and its Clean and has nice stations.....they need to overhaul some lines in NYC. Theres no excuse why the Times SQ or Penn Station stops are in very bad conditions.....
I agree ..like I posted..

Quote:
And I'm sure someone will point out that the stations in such and such city are always clean..
NYC subway has 229 miles of routes and transports over 5,225,000 passengers a day. Still no excuse to have dirty stations

On a side not the PATH trains are operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

PATH has 14 miles of track and about 250,000 riders a day.

I wish each system would honor the others systems fares.

I only get to visit NYC about once every couple of years. Plus I spent my summers there as a child. My mom still lives in Manhattan. She'll be 97 in June...

Old May 31st, 2010, 09:32 PM   #1106
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
This is much better..Wouldn't you agree??
No...they appear too sterile nowadays.

Quote:
What sort of design would you like to see??
Something truly American-appearing.....the US lost its touch, design-wise.....the US used to have a bit of a knack at designing; I wish that somewhat fleeting streak hadn't vanished, because when the outcome was good, it was remarkable

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1107
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
No...they appear too sterile nowadays.

Something truly American-appearing.....the US lost its touch, design-wise.....the US used to have a bit of a knack at designing; I wish that somewhat fleeting streak hadn't vanished, because when the outcome was good, it was remarkable
Fleeting streak? Humm?? Do you mean this??

[IMG]http://i46.************/2vv9pix.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
City: New York
System: New York City Transit
Line: BMT Astoria Line
Route: RR
Car: R-30 (St. Louis, 1961) 8351
Photo by: Joe Testagrose
Date: 3/28/1971

Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #1108
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I was referring to the state of the art of designing there; that fleet's never neared the high point that I had in mind either.

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1109
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

With PayPass trial on tap, MetroCard’s death nears
By Benjamin Kabak

Since taking over the reins of the MTA last fall, current CEO and Chair Jay Walder has pushed the authority to adopt newer technologies quicker than the MTA had in the past. Coming from London, Walder was intimately familiar with the contact-less Oyster Card program, and over the last few months, he has repeatedly highlighted how improving the efficiency of the agency’s fare-collection efforts can result in increased revenue by well over $30-40 million annually.

To that end, the MetroCard — a technology obsolete the day it was introduced — has been on borrowed time since Walder pledged a contact-less fare-payment system by 2014. Next week, this goal will take a big step forward as MasterCard, the MTA, PATH and New Jersey Transit will unveil a six-month pilot program that the MTA hopes will extend to the entire system in short order. Heather Haddon of amNew York has some details:

The “smartcard” system allows straphangers to pass a specially equipped key chain, credit card or phone across a reader on a turnstile or bus fare box to pay, with participants registering to have the money drawn from their bank account, much like the E-Z pass for drivers. The system means less time at MetroCard machines and allows buses to get going faster, transit advocates say. “It’s amazingly quick,” said William Henderson, executive director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the MTA.

The new program will be available along the Lexington Avenue subway line, along with the M14, M23, M79, M86, M101, M102, M103 and BxM7 bus lines, according to transit documents. The MTA estimates that more than 1 million riders could potentially benefit from it, including NJ Transit users. Still, participants at this stage in the game will have to buy a regular MetroCard to continue riding on other train or bus lines.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/05...s-death-nears/

herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1110
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Will leave the new season of extended season 7?
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #1111
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1975

Wow, reading the post above, it looks like MTA is really in for a transit nightmare. Fares going up by 7.5% and routes being cut like the butcher's block? That really sucks, especially for such a big metro area. In Tampa, Florida, our transit agency is one of the few that has been able to fend off huge service cuts and has only had to incrementally increase fares. Maybe by only 2% in 2007.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #1112
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
Wow, reading the post above, it looks like MTA is really in for a transit nightmare. Fares going up by 7.5% and routes being cut like the butcher's block? That really sucks, especially for such a big metro area. In Tampa, Florida, our transit agency is one of the few that has been able to fend off huge service cuts and has only had to incrementally increase fares. Maybe by only 2% in 2007.
That is what happens when your transit funding depends on mercy from annual tax budgets. There ought to be a 100% recover farebox requirement for every operational transit system in US.

I agree that construction of new infrastructure can be financed by general revenue, but a PT system OUGHT TO pay its operational costs in full by fare collection. Otherwise, it would be like people asking for permanent tax-credit to fill their cars up.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #1113
Martini87

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That is what happens when your transit funding depends on mercy from annual tax budgets. There ought to be a 100% recover farebox requirement for every operational transit system in US.

I agree that construction of new infrastructure can be financed by general revenue, but a PT system OUGHT TO pay its operational costs in full by fare collection. Otherwise, it would be like people asking for permanent tax-credit to fill their cars up.
Transit systems DON'T NEED to cover their operational costs. Infrastructure wan't created to make profit, but to help the city profit. If financial losses are counterbalanced by overall savings resulting from reduced oil consumption, pollution, time loss and increased competitiveness, then that's the best option for the city. The city is subsidizing its mobility.

Martini87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1114
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini87 View Post
Transit systems DON'T NEED to cover their operational costs. Infrastructure wan't created to make profit, but to help the city profit. If financial losses are counterbalanced by overall savings resulting from reduced oil consumption, pollution, time loss and increased competitiveness, then that's the best option for the city. The city is subsidizing its mobility.
Reduced oil consumption and other non-financial "benefits" don't add to the city's bottom line. Then, when a financial crisis hit, services are hit too.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1115
archnyer
Architecture Afficionado

Likes (Received): 3

Great photos.

Who else was on the last V train?

It's gone forever.

archnyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1116
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by archnyer View Post
Great photos.

Who else was on the last V train?

It's gone forever.
Why it's gone?

ovem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1117
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

budget cuts.

It has been replaced by M service (now coloured orange instead of brown), which in turn has been rerouted and lost its routes through South Manhattan and South Brooklyn.

juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1118
Nexis
Dark Wolf

The MTA is one of the most corrupt Transit Agencies in the US , wasting Millions and jacking up fares......

Old July 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1119
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Unfortunately, most transit agencies are like that though.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1120
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Unfortunately, most transit agencies are like that though.
Dot's and Toll Agencies aswell....

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway