daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1121
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The MTA is one of the most corrupt Transit Agencies in the US , wasting Millions and jacking up fares......
You've been misdirected by the clowns in Albany who keep on stealing the MTA's money, they're the one's to blame, not the MTA.

mrsmartman liked this post
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:17 AM   #1122
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

While I'm not a resident of NYC, I would say MTA seems to be one of the better transit agencies in North America. Even with their service cutbacks, at least the MTA attempts to minimize the effects on commuters.

http://www.humantransit.org/2010/01/...ctiveness.html

deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:29 AM   #1123
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

A looong time ago I posted a self-made graph on the rise in prices of the single ride versus unlimited metrocard (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...d#post34314456) ...now the Wall Street Journal has one as well:

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/07...ecome-limited/

herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM   #1124
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
You've been misdirected by the clowns in Albany who keep on stealing the MTA's money, they're the one's to blame, not the MTA.
No , its more MTA then Albany......they keep hiring ppl and paying them 600k for jobs that are not needed. CH 11 has undercovered at least 2 million in excess wasteful spending....
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:01 AM   #1125
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
While I'm not a resident of NYC, I would say MTA seems to be one of the better transit agencies in North America. Even with their service cutbacks, at least the MTA attempts to minimize the effects on commuters.

http://www.humantransit.org/2010/01/...ctiveness.html
WMATA does a better job then the MTA......they don't minimize it , its gotten so bad that now its better to pay the extra 5-12 $ and ride form the outer edges of the city into via the Commuter Rail lines instead of the subway....

Old July 24th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1126
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

Just checked the Metro North fares and noted Grand Central - 125th Street Harlem costs $5.94 for webticket, and $6.25 at the station! That's quite a premium!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1127
jayks1

Likes (Received): 1

Commuter Rail vs Subway in New York

Hey, I'm just wondering what kinds of demographics generally ride the commuter rail leading into Manhattan versus the riders of the different subway lines through the boroughs?

Are there more wealthy riders on the long island railroad for example than the subway lines going from Brooklyn to the financial district in Manhattan?

I'm not from New York, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what the attitudes there are towards these two forms of public transit within the city.

It might be helpful is someone could stereotype the different classes of riders for each.

jayks1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM   #1128
Nexis
Dark Wolf

meh , double posting topic , answered it somewhere else

Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:54 AM   #1129
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That is what happens when your transit funding depends on mercy from annual tax budgets. There ought to be a 100% recover farebox requirement for every operational transit system in US.

I agree that construction of new infrastructure can be financed by general revenue, but a PT system OUGHT TO pay its operational costs in full by fare collection. Otherwise, it would be like people asking for permanent tax-credit to fill their cars up.
I hate to break it to you, but no system in the world can or will make a 100% farebox recovery ratio, and that includes Tokyo and Hong Kong. However, the MTR Corporation in Hong Kong does make a profit, but is also a private company that makes a fortune of of real estate above its stations. It's an interesting model that could plausibly solve the MTA's problems although it will never be implemented. Let's say that the landlord of any building that lies on the block of a subway entrance must give 10% of its rental income to the MTA as a "subway-promixate bonus." If we say that in Midtown the average office space price is $30/sq ft and we take a building the size of the Hearst Tower (861,000 sq ft), then the MTA would make $2.6m off of that building alone. If there are 10 buildings on that block, then it's $26m, and 30 blocks, that's $780m, and so on. You can see how that'd work out, and that's in Midtown alone. Unfortunately, there's no way anything like that could get passed, although any new development could have such a premium levied upon it.

geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #1130
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
No , its more MTA then Albany......they keep hiring ppl and paying them 600k for jobs that are not needed. CH 11 has undercovered at least 2 million in excess wasteful spending....
Sign number one that your easily swayed. You think that 2 million dollars on a budget that is over 100 times that is wasteful spending.

You should look at the amount of funding both the City and the State have implemented in the last 10 years. While the MTA is "corrupt", most if not all government agencies (and corporations) are inefficient. However, to say it's more the MTA than Albany over 2 million, that is laughable.

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1131
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Sign number one that your easily swayed. You think that 2 million dollars on a budget that is over 100 times that is wasteful spending.

You should look at the amount of funding both the City and the State have implemented in the last 10 years. While the MTA is "corrupt", most if not all government agencies (and corporations) are inefficient. However, to say it's more the MTA than Albany over 2 million, that is laughable.
Both the MTA and ALbany are corrupt , New Yorkers voices are not being heard

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1132
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but no system in the world can or will make a 100% farebox recovery ratio, and that includes Tokyo and Hong Kong.
Wrong on both counts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farebox_recovery_ratio

Obviously, the Wiki article isn't very comprehensive or up-to-date, but you get the idea...

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1133
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Wrong on both counts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farebox_recovery_ratio

Obviously, the Wiki article isn't very comprehensive or up-to-date, but you get the idea...
I am not saying that the idea is not correct, but a lot of those numbers are over 20 years old, especially the numbers for Japan and Europe. They also seem to sample very random cities, dates, and do not account for expansion operation costs, such as the numbers for Austin which lists a 9% recovery. Austin was building a rail line at the time, funded locally by the agency and the line did not start running until 2010.

But overall the idea is sound, I would just like to see more recent numbers and have some other factors taken into consideration.

Steve

tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #1134
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Gothamist: How The MTA Stacks Up Against Other US Cities:

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/12/a_co...cities_met.php

mrsmartman, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1135
aveeral.Vstar
India has to Rise Again !

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Unfortunately, most transit agencies are like that though.
not all transit agencies are like that though.........the DMRC (Delhi Metro Rail Corporation) here in Delhi is a truly wonderful authority with absolutely no corruption at all and no cost overruns or delays in construction in its 15 years of existence uptill now ......

aveeral.Vstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM   #1136
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 27

Not to mention they're making profit. Not overall obviously but they're able to pay back their loan to Japan with interest.

bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:49 PM   #1137
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 269

This comes down to government over spending surely - sounds to me as though MTA may have turned into an inadvertent scapegoat for budget cuts. Also, I know it sounds a bit harsh but no one is forcing anyone to use the subway and given the alternatives, it's still a cheaper option for most people.

Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #1138
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
This comes down to government over spending surely - sounds to me as though MTA may have turned into an inadvertent scapegoat for budget cuts. Also, I know it sounds a bit harsh but no one is forcing anyone to use the subway and given the alternatives, it's still a cheaper option for most people.
Its a corrupted agency needs to be cleaned out they wasted millions. Now safety has been compromised on the LIRR and Subway system due to there wasteful spending. Ppl who blame Albany and not the agency don't know what there talking about.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1139
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Is it possible to charge much higher fare during late night or early morning trains? Charge 2.25 for rush hour or afternoon.

TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM   #1140
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 27

You are a genius my Korean friend!!

I'm sure there's a way to implement turnstiles which monitor the time of day and charge accordingly. Of course prepaid MetroCards such as Unlimited Ride and School cards would be fixed at a different price while we could perhaps have $2 during the off peak hours $2.25 at peak times and $2.50 at late nights.

It could provide some relief but then MTA will start bitching abt lack of funding.

bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway