daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1141
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

Great Wired.com article on the 2nd Avenue Line construction!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...5&viewall=true
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1142
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

Jump on the NYC subway shuttle to catch playoff highlights of previous day's games
22 September 2010

NEW YORK (AP) - Riding New York City's Times Square Shuttle subway cars will be a lot more interesting next month.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says it will be airing video clips from Major League Baseball broadcasts on the shuttle that runs between Times Square and Grand Central Terminal.

The campaign is an effort by the MTA to raise its advertising revenue. The cable network TBS is paying to air the highlights of the previous day's playoff games to promote its coverage of the playoffs.

MTA Chairman Jay Walder says it is the first time the agency has offered video images on subway screens.

The playoffs begin in October.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

mrsmartman liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:03 AM   #1143
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but no system in the world can or will make a 100% farebox recovery ratio, and that includes Tokyo and Hong Kong. However, the MTR Corporation in Hong Kong does make a profit, but is also a private company that makes a fortune of of real estate above its stations. It's an interesting model that could plausibly solve the MTA's problems although it will never be implemented. Let's say that the landlord of any building that lies on the block of a subway entrance must give 10% of its rental income to the MTA as a "subway-promixate bonus." If we say that in Midtown the average office space price is $30/sq ft and we take a building the size of the Hearst Tower (861,000 sq ft), then the MTA would make $2.6m off of that building alone. If there are 10 buildings on that block, then it's $26m, and 30 blocks, that's $780m, and so on. You can see how that'd work out, and that's in Midtown alone. Unfortunately, there's no way anything like that could get passed, although any new development could have such a premium levied upon it.
That would be against the American spirit of free enterprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatiya View Post
I'm sure there's a way to implement turnstiles which monitor the time of day and charge accordingly. Of course prepaid MetroCards such as Unlimited Ride and School cards would be fixed at a different price while we could perhaps have $2 during the off peak hours $2.25 at peak times and $2.50 at late nights.
There are other likely inefficiencies to take on, like extremely heavy users of monthly travelcard plans to work as couriers, for instance.

Furthermore, the fare difference should be higher than .25 in 2.00 to make a difference.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #1144
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

2 NYC Subway videos i took yesterday..

Manhattan bound M Train and Brooklyn bound J Train on the Williamsburg Bridges

Manhattan bound J Train on the Williamsburg Bridge

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #1145
Nexis
Dark Wolf

3 Train Departing Atlantic Avenue

Old October 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1146
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

NY MTA hikes bus and subway fares starting Dec. 30

NEW YORK, Oct 7 (Reuters) - New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority said on Thursday it would raise bus and subway fares to help close another huge deficit.

The base fare for one ride will remain at $2.25, but the cost of a monthly pass will rise to $104 from $89, effective Dec. 30, MTA Chairman Jay Walder said at a news conference.

Holders of monthly passes will not face any limits on the number of rides that can be taken in one day, an option that had proved unpopular during public hearings, agency officials said.

The MTA, the nation's biggest mass transit agency, on Oct. 27 will decide how to raise tolls for its bridge and tunnel crossings. The options for the major crossings include trying to entice more people to use an EZ Pass electronic transponder by keeping the price for its use at $4.57 and raising the cash fare to $7 from $5.50.

While this approach would cut pollution from idling cars, the MTA is also weighing whether to raise the EZ Pass fare to $5.04 and increase the cash price to $6.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:01 AM   #1147
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
Holders of monthly passes will not face any limits on the number of rides that can be taken in one day, an option that had proved unpopular during public hearings, agency officials said.
Why would they have limits with an 30-day unlimited Metrocard?

MTA really has messed up priorities.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1148
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 27

**** these people. no wonder so many jump the turnstiles, oftentimes i have done the same. is there really no other way to keep the prices stable? at least until MTA recovers from the recession, they should put SAS and 7th ave extension on hold along with pther capital construction projects. people cant afford this

The SSCI Corruption Thread

bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1149
Quente
Alß-lß-˘, ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘

Likes (Received): 14

The Subway in Pictures - New York Times

Thought you all would enjoy this wonderful photo essay showing over 30 images taken from 1917 to present of the New York City subway system:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201.../24subway.html

Great shot of the station under City Hall:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...subway-22.html

Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #1150
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I recently took the 6 and 5 trains , heres the 5 train departing Fulton Street.

Old December 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #1151
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some Lexington Avenue line action

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1152
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Jamaica Center Bound R160A E Train @ Sutphin Blvd

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1153
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatiya View Post
**** these people. no wonder so many jump the turnstiles, oftentimes i have done the same. is there really no other way to keep the prices stable? at least until MTA recovers from the recession, they should put SAS and 7th ave extension on hold along with pther capital construction projects. people cant afford this
Capital projects usually have a different source, like general state/city budget and/or federal grants and/or project-specific bonds.

As for your question, in a market economy there is no way (indeed, is not even desirable) to "keep prices stable". Prices should reflecting changing costs (in case of an agency striving to break even, not make profits), not "be stable".

Old February 5th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1154
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old February 7th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #1155
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some more Subway videos...

Old February 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #1156
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Capital projects usually have a different source, like general state/city budget and/or federal grants and/or project-specific bonds.

As for your question, in a market economy there is no way (indeed, is not even desirable) to "keep prices stable". Prices should reflecting changing costs (in case of an agency striving to break even, not make profits), not "be stable".
I know, what I'm saying is that they should be put on the same budget, because they need to have priorities.

And I dont think the fares will ever be brought DOWN even if revenue increases in the future.

The SSCI Corruption Thread

bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1157
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Capital projects should NOT be put on the same budget as operating costs.

Operating budget are usually committed for a limited time period (4 years), whereas budgets for capital projects are committed to an important phase of the project, that could take more than four years to complete.
You don't want to mix those two; suppose the operating costs might suddenly rise and there's less money available for the next four-year period. That might endanger the capital project. Or the other way around: the capital project might go over budget (something that's common with projects of this scale); that might put the operational budget at risk.
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1158
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
so what's tax for? care to explain?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #1159
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
so what's tax for? care to explain?
Taxes are meant to funding government activities. Just because something like MTA is a public service doesn't mean it should have a stable price. From the first you can't derive the second.

Old February 18th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #1160
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway