daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1181
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Here's the collection of clips from 6/9/11 from all over the system. Enjoy and see if you can find the real gems in this set:

mrsmartman liked this post
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1182
Fan Railer

And here's a set of clips from an earlier trip on 6/5/11:

Enjoy =D

Old June 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #1183
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

(4)(6)

image hosted on flickr

DSC05091 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC05090 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(7)

image hosted on flickr

DSC05035 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC05039 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04982 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04978 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04979 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04980 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04981 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(C) @ 14th Street

image hosted on flickr

DSC05099 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC05097 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC05092 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(E)

image hosted on flickr

DSC05101 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(L)

(N)(Q) - I heard announcements for both trains , but i forgot to write that down...so i don't know which train is which.

image hosted on flickr

DSC04985 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04996 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC05000 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC05009 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1184
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

A picture of the route to the last four pictures shared just one post up was shown at the NYC transit museum some years ago at Grand Central. It revealed construction of that broad el through barren Queens, through a moonscape, no tree, nothing for miles around, 1920s/1930s. Any chance of such photos being shown on the Web, because my searches have revealed nought?

By the way I'm so impressed by what must've been retroffiting of the tracking and all its accessories atop the el itself, even the gleaming newly-painted green steel beaming appears sturdier(?).

Last edited by trainrover; June 18th, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #1185
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

What the heck is wrong with you people?? Is this an ego thing?? Can you read the forum rules and learn about maximum number of pix/videos per post? This page is a unreadable now.

Bart_LCY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #1186
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_LCY View Post
What the heck is wrong with you people?? Is this an ego thing?? Can you read the forum rules and learn about maximum number of pix/videos per post? This page is a unreadable now.
I hate to say , but its an ego thing for Fan Railer , and i'm probably going to get shit on for saying that..... My limit is 5 or 7 videos per threads , i also merge videos which saves space. For the 20 videos he posted he could have posted 1...

Old June 20th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #1187
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I hate to say , but its an ego thing for Fan Railer , and i'm probably going to get shit on for saying that..... My limit is 5 or 7 videos per threads , i also merge videos which saves space. For the 20 videos he posted he could have posted 1...
haha ego thing? more like i'm too lazy to just link a play list for the set, but i will be doing that next time. don't worry, i don't really care what other people say about me on these forums since it doesn't really affect me in any way, so whatevs.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #1188
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Lazyness is ur excuse? That's even worse!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:58 AM   #1189
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Lazyness is ur excuse? That's even worse!
oh well... its probably the same amount of work to create a playlist actually...
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM   #1190
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
oh well... its probably the same amount of work to create a playlist actually...
Maybe, but it doesn't clog up the board with a zillion images that take ages to load. Not everyone in the world has a super fast internet service!

ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM   #1191
nenad_kgdc
Architecture Rules

Likes (Received): 46

Some stations and trains reminds to mine rail net, such a shame for the city of that rang.
It needs a huge retrofit and new trains.

nenad_kgdc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1192
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenad_kgdc View Post
Some stations and trains reminds to mine rail net, such a shame for the city of that rang.
They have a heap of new trains. They just look old, or should I say outdated when compared to what runs in Europe and Asia. Having said that technically they are modern and they do the job and do the job well. So guess horses for course.

Last edited by ajw373; June 21st, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1193
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
A picture of the route to the last four pictures shared just one post up was shown at the NYC transit museum some years ago at Grand Central. It revealed construction of that broad el through barren Queens, through a moonscape, no tree, nothing for miles around, 1920s/1930s. Any chance of such photos being shown on the Web, because my searches have revealed nought?

By the way I'm so impressed by what must've been retroffiting of the tracking and all its accessories atop the el itself, even the gleaming newly-painted green steel beaming appears sturdier(?).
You mean the 7 train Viaduct through Queens , this is the start of that. As for the replacing of the viaduct , there slowly doing that on certain lines. Unlike Philly were they used Concrete to replace the Viaduct , NY is still using steel.

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1194
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Sorry, it wasn't the 7. I'd swear the breadth of the el under construction was four tracks.

There was something (I can't remember exactly) baffling about looking at the photo of that whole 'build it and they shall come' notion inherent in this barren landscape...or maybe it was merely the billboard size of the photo that was flummoxing.

Edit:

I finally just found one, which turns out to be the 7, afterall, by a Herbert Maruska, Queens Blvd, 1917:
image hosted on flickr
Barren I tell ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenad_kgdc View Post
"Shame"? I'd take a look again I mean, they even have spanking-brand new yellow worktrains (right?! )
Note: To Date, 229 photos tagged "construction" must load to fully view linked Webpage...
image hosted on
flickr

Last edited by trainrover; June 21st, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:12 AM   #1195
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Unrelated questions

I have a bunch of unrelated questions about NYC subway:
  • Why are some services named after letters, and others after numbers?
  • What is the whole point and fuss about that 7 Subway Extension, given it will feature just one extra station near the Hudson? Isn't it too much brouhaha for just one station?
  • Are there any consisting plans to install Platform Screening Doors on NY subway?
  • Which signaling protocol is used on the network and is it the same for all lines?

Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:03 AM   #1196
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have a bunch of unrelated questions about NYC subway:
  • Why are some services named after letters, and others after numbers?
  • What is the whole point and fuss about that 7 Subway Extension, given it will feature just one extra station near the Hudson? Isn't it too much brouhaha for just one station?
  • Are there any consisting plans to install Platform Screening Doors on NY subway?
  • Which signaling protocol is used on the network and is it the same for all lines?
1. Different companies built different parts of the system , but i don't know why there numbers on some lines and letters on others.

2. The 7 line is now a waste of a project due to the lack of funding for the 10th Ave station. Your right extending it one station is a waste , this project is also tied to a muti-billion redevelopment project so it got approved and pushed through faster and built faster then the SAS which is badly needed but isn't getting the attention of this extension. Some plans later include adding a station in at 10th Ave , Extending it to NJ which is unlikely due to rules preventing the subway from leaving NYC , or Penn station extension which is more likely.

3. The only stations that will or might get Platform screen doors will be along the Second Ave Subway (SAS) and the 7 line extension.

4. The Signals are the same for the entire system...

Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1197
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
1. Different companies built different parts of the system , but i don't know why there numbers on some lines and letters on others.

2. The 7 line is now a waste of a project due to the lack of funding for the 10th Ave station. Your right extending it one station is a waste , this project is also tied to a muti-billion redevelopment project so it got approved and pushed through faster and built faster then the SAS which is badly needed but isn't getting the attention of this extension. Some plans later include adding a station in at 10th Ave , Extending it to NJ which is unlikely due to rules preventing the subway from leaving NYC , or Penn station extension which is more likely.

3. The only stations that will or might get Platform screen doors will be along the Second Ave Subway (SAS) and the 7 line extension.

4. The Signals are the same for the entire system...
1. IRT- numbers;IND+BMT - Letters

napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1198
MarneGator

Likes (Received): 46

@Suburbanist
1: as mentioned above, three companies built the lines and all but the last (IND) had internal numbering systems for the various lines; the BMT and later IND started using a lettering system when the subway was unified in 1940. I don't know why the IRT lines remained numbers, but it probably has something to do with the fact that it's a physically separate system (minus one track connection for work trains) with different dimensions for the trains and tunnels, a historical reminder of sorts.
3: the MTA has indicated that it wants to install platform doors at ALL stations, but financial woes being what they are, this is a low priority. Expect completion well after we're all dead.
4: the subway uses wayside signals controlled by track circuits with human operation near some interlockings (all?) Basically, signal tech and operation from the early 20th century. The Canarsie Line / L train uses CBTC for moving-block signals, but I don't think the MTA lets it run fully automated so the old signals might still be used there. The Flushing Line / 7 train is scheduled to receive CBTC technology in the coming years.

Last edited by MarneGator; June 22nd, 2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: addition
MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM   #1199
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarneGator View Post
@Suburbanist
1: as mentioned above, three companies built the lines and all but the last (IND) had internal numbering systems for the various lines; the BMT and later IND started using a lettering system when the subway was unified in 1940. I don't know why the IRT lines remained numbers, but it probably has something to do with the fact that it's a physically separate system (minus one track connection for work trains) with different dimensions for the trains and tunnels, a historical reminder of sorts.
3: the MTA has indicated that it wants to install platform doors at ALL stations, but financial woes being what they are, this is a low priority. Expect completion well after we're all dead.
4: the subway uses wayside signals controlled by track circuits with human operation near some interlockings (all?) Basically, signal tech and operation from the early 20th century. The Canarsie Line / L train uses CBTC for moving-block signals, but I don't think the MTA lets it run fully automated so the old signals might still be used there. The Flushing Line / 7 train is scheduled to receive CBTC technology in the coming years.
They have not , they've only considered them Extensions. They have been upgrading a decent amount of stations over the past few months , i think they would have installed them by now.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:30 AM   #1200
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

The entire Line F

Yes, that's right! We have the entire Line F, in-cab, onboard a R160A train.

All videos were taken by 46arthurdu

Jamaica 179 St. to Forest Hills-71 Ave

Forest Hills-71 Ave to 21 St.-Queensbridge

21 St.-Queensbridge to 47-50 St.-Rockefeller Ctr

47-50 St.-Rockefeller Ctr. to Broadway-Lafayette

Broadway-Lafayette to Jay St-Metrotech

Jay St.-Metrotech to 7th Ave.

7th Ave. to Ditmas Ave.

Ditmas Ave. to King Hwy.

Kings Hwy. to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave.

It is too bad that YouTube wouldn't let him load the videos that had captions of all of the station names. But they are still good videos.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway