daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #1301
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

http://kelsocartography.com/blog/?p=497

or

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/to...0/toc_20080623

mrsmartman liked this post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #1302
QueenZBee

Likes (Received): 1

Oh to have had the love of riding in such a stunning creation. Thanks for posting. I'll dream of this next time I'm on the subway this summer...

QueenZBee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #1303
trainrover

Regrettably, somebody answered me a few days ago that odours still foul many NYC subway platforms

Old August 26th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #1304
primus20

Likes (Received): 38

new york need something like this:

I ♥ NY

primus20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #1305
trainrover

Old August 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #1306
trainrover

Old August 26th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #1307
trainrover

-- love the mood-inspiring red car

Old August 26th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #1308
trainrover

Old August 26th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #1309
trainrover

Old August 26th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #1310
trainrover

Something tells me that only a small fraction of all those subway passengers must've been rail fans

Old August 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #1311
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsmith View Post
New york subway is amazing company and very large business i think new york subway provide the comfortable facilities and subway leading ship and first i told you main thing is designing i really like it
Lol wut?
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1312
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

What's the current situation? Is the whole network out of work?

Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1313
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
What's the current situation? Is the whole network out of work?
Yup, the entire network will shut down today at noon in preparation for Irene.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #1314
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1975

Shutdown is underway now.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #1315
trainrover

No youtube member's on-site video of any of today's shutdown posted yet...
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #1316
speedy1979

Likes (Received): 136

The people who could post a video are mta employees and they are probably very busy.

speedy1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #1317
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10618

Hurricane Irene: NYC subways shut down

Quote:
NEW YORK - The nation's largest subway system began to shut down Saturday and the typically bustling city became unusually quiet as the first rain from Hurricane Irene fell on Manhattan.

Sidewalks, streets and bridges were nearly empty. Broadway shows were canceled. Businesses were closed and subway riders raced to catch the last trains. More 370,000 people in flood-prone areas have been told to get out ahead of the storm, the first time such an evacuation order was issued for the city.

At the Seventh Avenue station in Brooklyn's Park Slope section, more than a dozen people waited for one of the final subway runs.

"What I'm hoping is that they will run trains for the next hour or two to pick up the stragglers," said Kate Sandberg, who was headed to visit a friend.

The city had begged people for days not to wait until the last minute, and offered rides out of the danger area to residents who needed it. Nursing homes and hospitals started evacuating people Thursday.

It was the first time the city has shut down the entire subway system because of a natural disaster. Final subway and bus runs started at noon and it would take about eight hours before the entire transit system was shuttered, city officials said.

Several New York landmarks were inside the evacuation zone, including the ferries that take tourists to the Statue of Liberty. Construction stopped throughout the city, and workers at the site of the World Trade Center dismantled a crane and secured equipment.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said there would be no effect on the Sept. 11 memorial opening the day after the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

On Wall Street, sandbags were placed around subway grates nearest the East River, which is expected to surge as the hurricane nears New York.

Bloomberg warned those who decided to stay that elevators in public housing apartments would be shut down. Other high-rises were also likely to stop elevators so people don't get trapped inside them if the power does go out. And the city's largest utility said it may cut off power to 6,500 customers in Lower Manhattan and Wall Street if the flooding gets bad. Turning off electricity ahead of time helps reduce the damage to power lines.

The transit system won't reopen until at least Monday, after pumps remove water from flooded subway stations. Even on a dry day, 13 million to 15 million gallons of water are removed from the tunnels deep underground. The Long Island Rail Road and other tracks were also being stopped.

The city's public transit system carries about 5 million passengers on an average weekday and officials didn't immediately report any problems during the final hours of the evacuation.

At the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, stragglers scurried down the steps of the 4 and 5 lines to Brooklyn.

"This makes my day!" Randy Callo said as the doors closed on one of the final trains.

Salvatore Laudadio missed that train, and was sweating it out for one more ride to Brooklyn. He had already been on several buses and subway transfers.

"I got kind of a late start so I've been a little worried but I think this will all work out," he said, holding his bags.

Then the train rolled up and he got on.

The last time the system was seriously hobbled was an August 2007 rainstorm that disabled or delayed every one of the city's subway lines. It was also shut down after the 9/11 attacks and during a 2005 strike.

In Brooklyn's famed Coney Island, known for its boardwalk and amusement park, Bloomberg urged residents who needed to leave to get out right away.

"Staying behind is dangerous, staying behind is foolish, and it's against the law, and we urge everyone in the evacuation zones not to wait until gale-force winds," he said at a news conference. "The time to leave is right now."

Transit fares and tolls were waived in evacuated areas. Officials hoped most residents would stay with family and friends, and nearly 100 shelters, with a capacity of 71,000 people, were opened.

At 17 Battery Place, a 36-floor luxury rental building, Daryl Edelman and his wife, Regina, were leaving - suitcase packed and their small white dog, Bitsy Bananas, tucked into a case.

"What the mayor did - shutting down the transportation system - is more dangerous than the storm," said Daryl Edelman, a comic book writer. "People could be left stranded - especially the elderly."

Bloomberg said he hoped the evacuation wasn't necessary, but officials needed to be cautious with what is considered a dangerous storm.

"You can't prepare for the best case. You have to prepare for the worst case," he said.

Bloomberg weathered criticism after a Dec. 26 storm dumped nearly two feet of snow that seemed to catch officials by surprise. Subway trains, buses and ambulances got stuck in the snow, some for hours, and streets were impassable for days. Bloomberg ultimately called it an "inadequate and unacceptable" response.

Taxis in New York City were to switch from metered fares to zone fares, meaning riders would be charged by which part of the city they were being driven to, rather than how far they were being taken.

About 4,500 taxis were on the streets of Manhattan, which was just below an average day.

Cab driver Mohammed Hassan started a shift early Saturday at his home in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn and made his way to midtown Manhattan. Downtown was already empty, he said.

"If it's dangerous, I'm going home," said Hassan, a cabbie for 28 years. But "I need the money."

The five main New York City-area airports also closed at noon Saturday to arriving domestic and international flights. Three of them, Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark Liberty, are among the nation's busiest.

Irene made landfall in North Carolina on Saturday, and was expected to roll up the Interstate 95 corridor reaching New York on Sunday. A hurricane warning was issued for the city Friday afternoon, the first since Gloria in 1985.

"Heed the warnings," Bloomberg urged, his shirt soaking as the rain fell. "It isn't cute to say I'm tougher than any storm.' I hope this is not necessary, but it's certainly prudent."

About 1.6 million people live in Manhattan, and about 6.8 million live in the city's other four boroughs.

In the past 200 years, New York has seen only a few significant hurricanes. In September 1821, a hurricane raised tides by 13 feet in an hour and flooded the southernmost tip of Manhattan in an area that now includes Wall Street and the World Trade Center memorial. In 1938, a storm dubbed the Long Island Express came ashore about 75 miles east of the city on neighboring Long Island and then hit New England, killing 700 people and leaving 63,000 homeless.

And in 1944, Midtown was flooded, where Times Square, Broadway theaters and the Empire State Building are located.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

bd popeye está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #1318
NoName678

Likes (Received): 2

Granted I don't understand the logistics of shutting down the subway/bus system, but the decision to shut down both systems in one shot at 12:00 seems difficult to understand. Even now, at 8:40, not much rain has fallen and winds. while probably higher than usual, are not especially high. And that's not just how it's turned out; that was the forecast yesterday.

New Jersey Transit had a better idea, shutting down trains at noon and buses/light rail at 6PM. Why couldn't the MTA have kept at least a few subway lines open a few hours longer, and kept buses running until 5 or 6, especially while the city is trying to get people to evacuate? It doesn't seem to make sense.

NoName678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1319
trainrover

Time for an audit of the authority's permissible precautionary measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1979 View Post
The people who could post a video are mta employees and they are probably very busy.
Simply curious of how passengers must've been shooed away, considering how the Toronto subway coppers panicked --on an empty platform (only 4 passengers)-- back on 911

Old September 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #1320
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

By Marss from a Chinese photography forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway